Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By djgardn2
  1.    #1  
    Hello.

I found I can turn on screen from my program if it are running and device tuned display off by timeout.

By some event I do
    Code:
    this.controller.stageController.setWindowProperties({blockScreenTimeout: true}
    and device turn screen on. But one problem: It displays lock screen. Any ways to avoid lock screen? I need device turns screen on and immediately displays my program.
    Phone: HP Veer
    Jabber: shura0@ya.ru
    Holy smokes, a mojo question!

I didn't even know you could do that, I would imagine it'd be difficult to override the lock screen timeout. Possibly if you could fake the device being charged, the lock screen would not come on?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

If the device is snapped closed, i'm not sure you can override the lockscreen, unless you can fake either a "charging" condition or the keyboard being open....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Holy smokes, a mojo question!
    Yeah. My old palm pre lies unused and I want to use it in bike riding. I wrote turn-by-turn navigation system for GPX track following, but after some tests I found palm pre drain battery for about 2.5~3 hours. I think main issue it's display backlight. Now I want to turn off display if next turn is very far and turn it on again when it's near.

If it' impossible, I will be forced to use additional power bank and charge my phone on wheels. But it's inconvenient, by bike rack mount blocks access to usb port of palm. And other variant - voice navigation, I'm not sure I can make it.

BTW, is possible to change brightness to 0% from my program? I found some luna commands, but I'm not sure I can it run from my program.
    Last edited by Shura; 07/14/2013 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shura View Post
    Yeah. My old palm pre lies unused and I want to use it in bike riding. I wrote turn-by-turn navigation system for GPX track following, but after some tests I found palm pre drain battery for about 2.5~3 hours. I think main issue it's display backlight. Now I want to turn off display if next turn is very far and turn it on again when it's near.

If it' impossible, I will be forced to use additional power bank and charge my phone on wheels. But it's inconvenient, by bike rack mount blocks access to usb port of palm. And other variant - voice navigation, I'm not sure I can make it.

BTW, is possible to change brightness to 0% from my program? I found some luna commands, but I'm not sure I can it run from my program.
    If they keyboard is in the open position, i don't think it should display the lock screen (i haven't tried, but the usual notifications wake up the phone and display a normal screen/workspace)
    nice, would be interested in testing this app. Pre2/3 and gpx tracks available
    Quote Originally Posted by Shura View Post
    You should take a look at the code inside the Screen and Lock app. Especially the security...-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $and$ $you$ $can$ $see$ $how$ $they$ $implemented$ $it$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $if$ $you$ $can$ $lower$ $the$ $brightness$ $to$ $0$ $but$ $I$ $believe$ $5$% $is$ $possible$ ($look$ $at$ $available$ $patches$ $for$ $screen$ $and$ $lock$ $app$).

Another idea would be to show a fullscreen scene that is all black, this might slow the battery drain. You could trigger the scene with a button to temporary cover the display, maybe auto closing after a certain distance.
    Last edited by djgardn2; 07/14/2013 at 02:45 AM.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    great ideas, except for the last one... A black screen only saves power if you have an OLED display, not a backlit LCD
    if this is for personal use rather than for a wide audience maybe just install patch on the device that simply disables the lockscreen? im sure i saw a patch for either phone or touchpad that disabled the lockscreen and one to bypass the pin.

http://patches.webos-internals.org/?...=Screen%20Lock
    EDIT: touchpad only by the looks, unless theres an equivalent in there somewhere.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I think the battery drain is more from the subscription to GPS updates than the screen.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    You should take a look at the code inside the Screen and Lock app. Especially the security...-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $and$ $you$ $can$ $see$ $how$ $they$ $implemented$ $it$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $if$ $you$ $can$ $lower$ $the$ $brightness$ $to$ $0$ $but$ $I$ $believe$ $5$% $is$ $possible$ ($look$ $at$ $available$ $patches$ $for$ $screen$ $and$ $lock$ $app$).

Another idea would be to show a fullscreen scene that is all black, this might slow the battery drain. You could trigger the scene with a button to temporary cover the display, maybe auto closing after a certain distance.
    Thank you, I've looked that application and found needed API function:
    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.display/control', {
                            method: 'setProperty',
                            parameters:{maximumBrightness:0}
                    }
                    );
    Unfortunately 0 does not disable backlight.

Opened keyboard is good idea but I'm not sure my holder can hold the phone opened. I'll try it.
    Last edited by Shura; 07/14/2013 at 01:43 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I think the battery drain is more from the subscription to GPS updates than the screen.
    Hm, I'll make test. Anyway I cannot refuse GPS subscription, it will break functionality, but I can refuse backlight.
  13.    #13  
    I found possibility to enable or disable backlight.
    enable backlight:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/class/display/lcd.0/state
    disable backlight
    Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/class/display/lcd.0/state
    If backlight is disabled with this method it disables only backlight, event digitizer and gestures are working
    But unfortunately I cannot write this file from my program, FileMgr does not allow write to that area.

So,
    brightess management does not allow disable backlight - skipped.
    Backdoor with /sys/class/display/lcd.0/state is impossible from Mojo application, skipped.
    this.controller.stageController.setWindowProperties({blockScreenTimeout: true} is working, but it calls lock screen.

Only way it's disable lock screen. I have not found any patches for 1.4.5 or even 2.x for removing it. Will search some parameters inside device's filesystem...
    And more two ways, emulate charging and emulate opened keyboard. Don't know hot to do that.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    nice, would be interested in testing this app. Pre2/3 and gpx tracks available
    sure!
    Early beta https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._0.2.1_all.ipk
    Big arrow display next turn, small arrow displays direction to turn point.
    Attached Images Attached Images