webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > building Enyo 2.2 app with PhoneGap 2.5.0 for Pre3
building Enyo 2.2 app with PhoneGap 2.5.0 for Pre3
  Reply
Like Tree2Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05/04/2013, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
I managed to build my first Enyo 2.2 app in Ares 0.1.3 for webOS devices.
I used PhoneGap 2.5.0 and installed my app on a HP TouchPad 3.0.5 using the webOS quick install.
The app runs fine on HP TouchPad

But I tried to install the same app on my Pre3 (AT&T) 2.2.4 device too and it fails during installation with webos quick install. I did run for long time until I disconnected the cable. I also rebuild my app with "uiRevision": 1 - but no change.

Anyone any help how to build Enyo apps with PhoneGap 2.5.0 for Pre3 ?

---
EDIT: I have used WebOSQuickInstall-4.3.1

Last edited by MartinH@webos; 05/06/2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added WebOSQuickInstall-4.3.1 version - now solved
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
I have a few Enyo 2 apps running on my Pre 3 (although they are not made by me) and they run just fine. I do notice that sometimes an IPK doesn't install correctly via WOQI but does install correctly via palm-install. Maybe you should try that?
__________________
My apps:

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
Thanks, Now I tried to install with Preware 1.9.12 after downloading the app package to my Pre3.
But the same behaviour : Installation hangs for ever - spinner runs forever.
IPKG-Logfile displays correct Identify and then nothing more.
In Lumperjack I see no Preware logfile entries at all - even with Log Level = info . A bit strange.

---
Now I downloaded webOSQuickInstall 4.5.0 and I still see the same issue with Pre3. For TouchPad all is fine.

Last edited by MartinH@webos; 05/04/2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added webOSQuickInstall 4.5.0 info
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,490
Like I said: try it with palm-install from the command line, that gives good results here.
__________________
My apps:

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Like I said: try it with palm-install from the command line, that gives good results here.
OK - I tried palm-install too. Same issue as elsewhere ...
Code:
installing package bin\de.xxx.martin.test_0.0.2_all.ipk on device "mantaray-linux" {3937eaf9fa63484f7f9d73cd594293f40e90e4ed} usb 53292
hangs for ever ..

same command for TouchPad and 3.0.5 emulator works fine ..
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 46
Have you tried restart?

My Pre 3 sometimes does the same (full temp or memory??), but after restart it works fine again.
Jakuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakuje View Post
Have you tried restart?

My Pre 3 sometimes does the same (full temp or memory??), but after restart it works fine again.
Sure - I restarted Pre3 too. Does not help here.
I'm able to install other apps onto Pre3 without problems.
I was even able to install some phonegap build app (build remotely at phonegap site) on my Pre3 (ok -it installs - but yet does not work).

So - my issue is more specific to Phonegap 2.5.0 build apps that were build local on your machine (Win7) and in specific my App is a simple "Hello world" kind of app written in Enyo 2.2 (and partly done in Ares).
Why does such app work on HP TouchPad - but can not be installed on Pre3 ?

Anyone tried this combination with success ?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
kayphoonstar's Avatar
 
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
Sure - I restarted Pre3 too. Does not help here.
I'm able to install other apps onto Pre3 without problems.
I was even able to install some phonegap build app (build remotely at phonegap site) on my Pre3 (ok -it installs - but yet does not work).

So - my issue is more specific to Phonegap 2.5.0 build apps that were build local on your machine (Win7) and in specific my App is a simple "Hello world" kind of app written in Enyo 2.2 (and partly done in Ares).
Why does such app work on HP TouchPad - but can not be installed on Pre3 ?

Anyone tried this combination with success ?
I didn't have install problems but enyo 2.2 didn't allow me to produce a working build for webOS but dropping back to 2.1 did. The 2.2 build did work on Android. I'm still exploring what the issues are.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
mattmers's Avatar
 
Posts: 288
At least you you got past the phone gap token problem. lol
__________________
Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD & 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Dream devices: Palm Treo 180, Handspring Visor, Palm Tungsten C, Palm Centro, Sony Clie UX50, Sony Clie NR70V, Sony Ericsson Xperia

Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Grabber5.0's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,662
Can you not build Enyo apps without Phonegap or some other cross-platform framework anymore? Frankly I lost interest when reading the docs. I'd rather just work with Enyo natively for webOS using Chrome and palm-package to build the IPK for my Touchpad. I am not interested in cross-platform development right now.
__________________
Matt Williams
*How to install .patch files on your device*
Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 02:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 695
I don't think PhoneGap can have an effect if installation works or not.
Did you package the app with palm-package? (If you don't use services, "palm-package --use-v1-format" is the preferred version.)
__________________
Apps: Explorer for Dropbox a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
File Explorer fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
QuickChat for Facebook real-time Facebook chat
Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
Twitter: @pcworldSoftware; e-mail (contact, support, buy apps via PayPal) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
pcworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 05/06/2013, 04:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 46
And what says instalation log on device shell? Command like

Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages | grep YOUR_APP_ID
in putty or novaterm?
Jakuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 05:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,145
Most likely phonegap wouldnt have an effect. Maybe silly question -- is the thing in Developer Mode, and not in USB drive mode, right?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
Thanks for the many replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
I didn't have install problems but enyo 2.2 didn't allow me to produce a working build for webOS but dropping back to 2.1 did. The 2.2 build did work on Android. I'm still exploring what the issues are.
As said I have no issue to install the exact same bits on a HP TouchPad 3.0.5 - but on Pre3 2.2.4 the same fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
At least you you got past the phone gap token problem. lol
Yes - I had issues with my PhoneGap github linkage:
First I registered at PhoneGap with github and I was not successful. Then I registered with a new Adobe ID and this worked better. (After confirming the Adobe ID with a link inside the registration email I found a Authentication Token in my PhoneGap account.)
Still my remote PhoneGap build did not work yet. For the example in this thread I use a locally installed phonegap 2.5.0. This Ares 0.1.3 provided deploy script does create a webOS .ipk install package at the bin subfolder using this command line: tools\deploy.bat --cordova-webos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Can you not build Enyo apps without Phonegap or some other cross-platform framework anymore? Frankly I lost interest when reading the docs. I'd rather just work with Enyo natively for webOS using Chrome and palm-package to build the IPK for my Touchpad. I am not interested in cross-platform development right now.
I assume that phonegap uses some palm-package command internally too - but not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
I don't think PhoneGap can have an effect if installation works or not.
Did you package the app with palm-package? (If you don't use services, "palm-package --use-v1-format" is the preferred version.)
Thanks for the hint. So far I have not used it explicitly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakuje View Post
And what says instalation log on device shell? Command like

Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages | grep YOUR_APP_ID
in putty or novaterm?
I had not done that yet. But now I did this in wterm on the Pre3 device while installing the app again.
And surprise .. now the same app installs fine on my Pre3.
And it actually runs ok as well. ..
(Not sure if this was related to this tail command at all. Perhaps it just worked today for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Most likely phonegap wouldnt have an effect. Maybe silly question -- is the thing in Developer Mode, and not in USB drive mode, right?
yes - in Dev Mode.


Sorry guys .. for the confusion - Now the install and execution works ok.
So far I have no idea what was going wrong the other day.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
mattmers's Avatar
 
Posts: 288
So I'm guessing your planning to make an app in the future. What kinda app are you planning on making if I may ask?
__________________
Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD & 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Dream devices: Palm Treo 180, Handspring Visor, Palm Tungsten C, Palm Centro, Sony Clie UX50, Sony Clie NR70V, Sony Ericsson Xperia

Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2013, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
So I'm guessing your planning to make an app in the future. What kinda app are you planning on making if I may ask?
Sure - I plan creating apps. And my primary target platform is webOS and existing webOS devices. (Perhaps Android later too)
But I want to create apps for personal use mainly. My home contains a number of electrical connected sensors and actors. I want to use my app to control and visualize this environment.

Now that Ares for Enyo is about to be available for production it is a great time to get started with Ares.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2013, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Grabber5.0's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,662
I don't want to start a religious debate, but for webOS phones I'm sticking with Mojo.
__________________
Matt Williams
*How to install .patch files on your device*
Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2013, 01:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I don't want to start a religious debate, but for webOS phones I'm sticking with Mojo.
That's fine for existing phones and if you know Mojo.
I also did a few Mojo apps for Pre +/2/3 and TouchPad - all with the help of Ares1.
Now finally Ares2 is getting ready and allows me to do Enyo apps. (I was looking for this for 2 years now.)
My simple Enyo app runs smooth on Pre3.

I assume that future webos phones (if they ever come) will also implement Enyo apps.
Not sure if Mojo for phones will remain in future.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2013, 02:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
That's fine for existing phones and if you know Mojo.
I also did a few Mojo apps for Pre +/2/3 and TouchPad - all with the help of Ares1.
Now finally Ares2 is getting ready and allows me to do Enyo apps. (I was looking for this for 2 years now.)
My simple Enyo app runs smooth on Pre3.

I assume that future webos phones (if they ever come) will also implement Enyo apps.
Not sure if Mojo for phones will remain in future.
Mojo was not Open Sourced and will most likely never be.

So it will never be officially supported on any OWO port, however I understood that you can load 3rd party JavaScript frameworks (there's even something called "MojoLoader" in OWO GitHub) and a small bird told me that it should be possible to side-load Mojo on OWO, even though it's not allowed to redistribute it in an image etc due to copyrights
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2013, 02:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,145
Mojo may have been at least partially dependent on functions in the webos 2 and 3 sysmgr that are no longer there, also. Some thkngs may work, some things may be irreperably broken.

I am seriously looking forward to building a new synergv user interface with the newest version of Ares.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kayphoonstar and MartinH@webos like this.
Reply

 

Tags
enyo, phonegap, pre3

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enyo vs. Phonegap ... gimme arguments Buddy1969 webOS Development 5 07/20/2012 08:54 PM
Pre2 + enyo 1.0+ Impostah = pre3 apps? mattmers Palm Pre 2 9 07/06/2012 12:12 AM
Dreamweaver 5.5 + Phonegap for App Development? ice8lue webOS Development 0 05/31/2011 05:15 AM
will all apps written in enyo be available for the veer and pre3? protofa HP Veer 14 03/19/2011 09:15 PM
If Enyo runs on Pre3 AND PCs then.... RedMist webOS Discussion Lounge 1 03/11/2011 09:00 AM


 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0