webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > What does the TouchPad and Phones need?
What does the TouchPad and Phones need?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By gizmo21
  • 1 Post By labwizard
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By Vistaus

Old 04/22/2013, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

What does the platform need that is within our developers powers to make possible? What is a wishlist you want to maybe see happen? Let your voices be heard!!!

Personally: I need only one thing.

1. A document suite that isnt awful.

That is all.
Old 04/22/2013, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would like to be able to make video Skype calls with the Pre2. Being trying to research this as I wanted to use the Pre2 as a webcam device, but apparently Verizon blocked this ability on the phone. What good is Skype integration in webOS if you can't use it?
metro72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
I would like to be able to make video Skype calls with the Pre2. Being trying to research this as I wanted to use the Pre2 as a webcam device, but apparently Verizon blocked this ability on the phone. What good is Skype integration in webOS if you can't use it?

is video calling on a device without a front camera all that useful?
Both webOS devices with front cameras work well with Skype.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2013, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
If one takes the Skype bits (skypekit) from the webOS 2.2.4 (WR-Pre3) build and removes the Skype bits (skypekit) from webOS 2.2.4 (WR-Pre2), and then adds the Skype Pre3 bits (skypekit) to the webOS 2.2.4 (WR-Pre2), I wonder if anything would happen?

FYI one can use any Pre3 build (skypekit) modules are the same, however, the Verizon Carrier app includes a download module which makes the newer version not work and forces one to download the older version, if one remove the skype-download_1.0-2_armv7.ipk from the carrier apps or uses the ipkg remove and remove the download module (and not install Skype from the catalog) the Verizon Pre3 can then use the newer Skype Version... which works better...

I am not 100% sure as I have never used the downloaded Skype from the App Catalog, but I thought it forces one on Verizon to use the Verizon Skype Mobile Servers, vs the updated Skype uses the Skype Servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
is video calling on a device without a front camera all that useful?
Both webOS devices with front cameras work well with Skype.
Not sure if Skype only defaults to Front camera?

Anyone with a Touchpad Go with Skype see if the back camera will work?

Never tried this on my Pre2 or PrePlus?

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/22/2013 at 06:48 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2013, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

record phonecalls
labwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mattmers likes this.
Old 04/23/2013, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

-A better web browser (isis as soon as its ready for the pre3)
-Improved synergy functionality
-Business related apps and improvements to the ones already there:
document editor
memos
tasks
-Want an encrypted messaging app (webOSM )
-Better facebook app and youtube app (not likely)
-Minimization apps so you dont have to relaunch it but it stop running other then notification based stuff
-no more dedicated launcher icon on quick launch bar. (We all know to swipe up or tap the gesture area, I want the 5th space for another icon)
-4x4 launcher grid
-More camera options
-twitter music app
-enyo 2 preware app
-multi image picture text
-official mobile nations app or atleast webos nations app (the unofficial one now is getting long in the tooth and the forum part is wrong now)
-Just speak
-open a conversation in a new card so I can have multiple sms/messaging conversations open

...Just to name a few thoughts

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers

Last edited by mattmers; 04/23/2013 at 11:39 PM.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2013, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

A New Palm Desktop Version & Sync (PIM, Docs, Media, etc) Using USB...

Best Regards...
Liked by mattmers likes this.
Old 04/24/2013, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
-Business related apps and improvements to the ones already there:
memos
I think TapNote is a pretty good app to take care of this. Lets you sync notes via dropbox as .txt files.
Quote:
-no more dedicated launcher icon on quick launch bar. (We all know to swipe up or tap the gesture area, I want the 5th space for another icon)
-4x4 launcher grid
I really want to get rid of the launcher icon also but the 4x4 grid is possible thanks to the UI Scale patch.

Quote:
-twitter music app
I haven't tried but isn't there a mobile/web site that can be used with a launcher icon created or whatnot?
Quote:
-enyo 2 preware app
There's one in Alpha in Preware already.
Quote:
-Just speak
Personally I don't see much use for this but if webOS ever is released to market again I think it's needed.
Quote:
-open a conversation in a new card so I can have multiple sms/messaging conversations open
This is possible already via I think one of the Advanced patches in preware and a Tweaks option.
Old 04/24/2013, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

To add to cbosdell list (which I can confirm is correct), there are 2 new apps for Facebook and YouTube:

https://github.com/kevinpschaaf/enyoface.git (which is made by Keven Schaaf from HP and is written in Enyo2 but the app currently doesn't load (I packaged and installed it via PhoneGap))
https://github.com/webOSpinn/uTube.git (which is written in Enyo1 and works fine on my HP Touchpad)

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser

Last edited by Vistaus; 04/24/2013 at 06:42 PM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Thanked By: cbosdell
Old 04/24/2013, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Not sure if Skype only defaults to Front camera?

Anyone with a Touchpad Go with Skype see if the back camera will work?

Never tried this on my Pre2 or PrePlus?
To answer to your question, I think that the WebOS team didn't had enough time/failed to add that function in the Skype for WebOS. According to the review that Derek did for the Pre 3, the skype video call functionality defaulted to the front-facing camera on the Pre 3 and did not give the option to use the rear camera of the device.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I previously stated many times what WebOS needs will be:

1) Better browser(with more support for HTLM5 among other technologies).
2) "Just Say" with Voice Dictation capabilities.
3) unified notification systems, reply to messages with quick response action.
4) Support for virtual keyboard(with swiftkey functionality/Predictive Texting built in).
5) Widgets support.
6) More synergy support for Evernote/Google+/Twitter/What'sApp/Tango/oovoo.
7) Better camera function.(HDR effect/filters/TimeShift/image stabilization among others).
8) Amazon music/video store(to rent online content to view on our WebOS devices).
9) Full capable word/document editing software.
10) WebOS Play (to sync content to our devices easier, without having to go to third parties).
11) Full support for Touch-to-Share and NFC(Near-Field Communication) built into the back cover of the devices.
12) Better Web-Browser with (Flash 11.1 support).
13) WebOS Air-Play functionlity to able to share content across TV and other devices.
14) SmartStay(like Samsung devices) that would allow the screen to stay lit , while you continue to stare at the phone-screen display.
15) Synergy Hub app, to get all of your connected account from emails/tweets/Facebook update in one single view.
Old 04/25/2013, 06:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Palm_Pixi:

1) dkirker is working on that with HP Isis
6) Google+ you can rule out unless you want to bribe Google into actually releasing a readable API (the current API is still read-only mode).
10) What happened to HP Play?
11) TTS is there, NFC would come in handy though
12) Flash 11.1 is probably not gonna happen ever since Adobe is axing mobile flash
15) Hmm, I wonder where you got that idea from...

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote