Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    As you might have noticed, since version 4.2+ of VirtualBox, the "HP webOS Emulator" from the 3.0.5 SDK will no longer work due to "Incorrect version of VirtualBox" as per attached screenshot.

Technically however I found no problems in running the emulator images in VirtualBox 4.2.x

It turns out that the max version for VirtualBox was hardcoded to 4.1.9.

I used some tools to patch the webos-emulator.jar and webos-emulator_x64.jar in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\HP webOS\SDK\share\jars" to allow upto VirtualBox 5.5.

At below URL you can download a patcher that will allow you to patch your webos-emulator.jar and webos-emulator_x64.jar so you can still use them from the standard shortcut in HP webOS SDK.

http://www.herrie.org/HP webOS 3.0.5...VirtualBox.rar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Herrie; 04/03/2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Rnp, T-Pad, Vistaus and 4 others like this.
    Thanks so much! But any chance you can just release the files as is? Because I can't run exe on my Ubuntu (yes, with Wine it's possible but I need it natively for the emulator).
    you use an older compatible virtualbox, launch it, run the sdk/emulator, the required virtualbox entries are added, once they are added, i believe you can upgrade virtualbox to any newer version and your saved entries will work even after the update.

i think (been a while since i tried), that as long as you manually launch virtualbox when it has SDK entries saved within, then you dont need to use the emulator/launcher when testing apps, i think when i had eclipse open and "tested" an app the app still ran with my open virtualbox as opposed to eclipse launching the sdk/emulator itsself.

so as long as you start out with the older virtualbox, get everything setup as required you can safely update virtualbox after that without any worries.

EDIT: Im updated to 4.2.6, originally 4.1, now also updating as we speak to the newer 4.2.10 and it all still works fine.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 04/02/2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X likes this.
  4.    #4  
    you use an older compatible virtualbox, launch it, run the sdk/emulator, the required virtualbox entries are added, once they are added, i believe you can upgrade virtualbox to any newer version and your saved entries will work even after the update.

i think ([i]been a while since i tried), that as long as you manually launch virtualbox when it has SDK entries saved within, then you dont need to use the emulator/launcher when testing apps, i think when i had eclipse open and "tested" an app the app still ran with my open virtualbox as opposed to eclipse launching the sdk/emulator itsself.

so as long as you start out with the older virtualbox, get everything setup as required you can safely update virtualbox after that without any worries.

EDIT: Im updated to 4.2.6, originally 4.1, now also updating as we speak to the newer 4.2.10 and it all still works fine.
    Yes you can run from VirtualBox but not from HP SDK shortcuts in start menu. This patch fixes that ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5.    #5  
    Thanks so much! But any chance you can just release the files as is? Because I can't run exe on my Ubuntu (yes, with Wine it's possible but I need it natively for the emulator).
    Ehm no, they're copyrighted. Send me a PM and we can work something out that would work on *nix, this patch was made for Windows since I'm not sure that shortcuts for the SDK are made on *nix :-)

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hmm, but does palm-install from a terminal still work after upgrading to 4.2? Because that's the most important to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Hmm, but does palm-install from a terminal still work after upgrading to 4.2? Because that's the most important to me.
    yarp

webOS Apps on Open webOS?

posted thata while ago when i was mega frustrated with it not functioning as required, this is all on an ubuntu system btw, sounds like the exact solution your after.
    Isn't the problem not that the emulator's virtual machine works in virtualbox, but rather the hooks into the emulator don't. Ie, if you're trying to palm-debug or to use the live Ares debugger. This only seems to work if you launch palm-emulator.

Well at least that had been my problem. I'm keen to try out the above patches.
    I had been so close to rolling back my vbvbvb $to$ $4$.$1$ $but$ $just$ $found$ $this$ $thread$.

Baldric

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

i think (been a while since i tried), that as long as you manually launch virtualbox when it has SDK entries saved within, then you dont need to use the emulator/launcher when testing apps, i think when i had eclipse open and "tested" an app the app still ran with my open virtualbox as opposed to eclipse launching the sdk/emulator itsself.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    yarp

webOS Apps on Open webOS?

posted thata while ago when i was mega frustrated with it not functioning as required, this is all on an ubuntu system btw, sounds like the exact solution your after.
    Thanks! In that case I'll be upgrading right away.
    Thanks! In that case I'll be upgrading right away.
    if you ever do a release-upgrade, ie: from 12.10 to 13.x or similar then the files you add to your system as mentioned in that other thread will get wiped out and will need put back otherwise palm-emulator etc will again fail to work.
    Maybe write a new class for the emulator that implements an interface for the new VirtualBox? I'm not sure how they import the interfaces, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Maybe write a new class for the emulator that implements an interface for the new VirtualBox? I'm not sure how they import the interfaces, though.
    hmm inside the webos-emulator.jar file there is 4 folders inside /com/palm/vbox/internal which seem to relate to virtual box versions 30/31/32/40, theres class files all over that jar file, theres also a file called VBoxVersion.class, tbh theres a fair few files that could just be patched just like Herrie's windows version.

just installed....

JD-GUI | Java Decompiler

taking a gander at the extracted class files, probably just a case of finding the right parts to modify and resave back into the original jar.
  13.    #13  
    hmm inside the webos-emulator.jar file there is 4 folders inside /com/palm/vbox/internal which seem to relate to virtual box versions 30/31/32/40, theres class files all over that jar file, theres also a file called VBoxVersion.class, tbh theres a fair few files that could just be patched just like Herrie's windows version.

just installed....

JD-GUI | Java Decompiler

taking a gander at the extracted class files, probably just a case of finding the right parts to modify and resave back into the original jar.
    I just used a tool to modify the jar directly and then used a patch tool to do a byte compare of old and new and released that as a patch :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I just used a tool to modify the jar directly and then used a patch tool to do a byte compare of old and new and released that as a patch :-)

wonder if theres a tool like that for linux then, that or just unpack the jar, use sed or something to replace whats needed, repackage and go.
  15.    #15  
    Directly modifying the jar was easiest. Unpacking, decompiling and recompiling etc was too much trouble for me ;-)

if you ever do a release-upgrade, ie: from 12.10 to 13.x or similar then the files you add to your system as mentioned in that other thread will get wiped out and will need put back otherwise palm-emulator etc will again fail to work.
    Thanks but I'm already on 13.04 I always do clean installs instead of upgrades (I'm an Ubuntu user since 8.04).
    Thanks but I'm already on 13.04 I always do clean installs instead of upgrades (I'm an Ubuntu user since 8.04).
    Hi Herrie,
    Any chance a patch could be released that also works on webos-emulator_x64.jar??

Thanks
    Baldric
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    Hi Herrie,
    Any chance a patch could be released that also works on webos-emulator_x64.jar??

Thanks
    Baldric
    It can actually patch webos-emulator.jar (1st file) and webos-emulator_x64.jar (2nd file)

It might be good to split my patch into 2? Because I don't think you can continue to the 2nd file when the 1st one is not present... Will have a look into this
    I don't know about Windows but here on Ubuntu both webos-emulator.jar and webos-emulator_x64.jar are present on the 64-bit version.
  20.    #20  
    I don't know about Windows but here on Ubuntu both webos-emulator.jar and webos-emulator_x64.jar are present on the 64-bit version.
    Updated link in the 1st post. The RAR archive now contains 2 patchers, 1 for x86 and 1 for x64, just in case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast