webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Easiest way to install UbuntuChroot 11.04TP NO LINUX REQURED NO META-DOCTOR REQUIRED.
Easiest way to install UbuntuChroot 11.04TP NO LINUX REQURED NO META-DOCTOR REQUIRED.

Old 02/04/2013, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

OK now we can see how to install ubuntuchroot in hp touchpad easy way.IN WINDOWS NO LINUX OR META-DOCTOR REQUIRED.

Me and WebOS-Internals are not responsible for damages of your device.THIS TUTORIAL 'SHOULD' WORK IN YOUR TP.

Before starting i must thank webos internals for tailor,ubuntuchroot,etc.

OK Now first download webOS Quick Install (See attachment).Before downloading install JAVA.If you already have just leave it.
And now enable developer mode in your touchpad by typing (webos20090606) (without brackets).
Now turn the switch on in the top right corner.it will ask you password.DON'T TYPE ANYTHING IN THE PASSWORD BOX.Ok now connect your TP to your computer. DON'T GET INTO USB DRIVE MODE IN YOUR TP.
Now open webOS Quick Install and install Preware.After installing remove the usb cable from your TP.Now open Preware and search for Tailor and install it.After installing open webOS quick install and in the tools tab in upper menubar selext Linux CommandLine.And in the command line type mount -o remount,rw / and then type mkdir -p /media/ext3fs to create a folder that is recogonized by ubuntuchroot.And then type mount -o remount,rw / and then echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab to automatically mount it at boot.Now type mount -a .After installing open Tailor and in the check partition tab select USB Media and in Select Activity tab select unmount partition.After unmounting select check filesystem and below tap the green colour check filesystem box.Now it will ask you to resize partition. Type 10800 MB for 2gb.If you want 4gb type 8904 MB.After resizing mount it by selecting in Select Activity tab.Now go to preware and install Xecutah,XTerm,XServer and UbuntuChroot.

Now open Xecutah and tap XServer.Now go back to Xecutah and tap UbuntuChroot.Now it should have a ubuntu terminal.

/***type the below for AbiWord
apt-get install abiword

/***type the below for the Chromium Browser
apt-get install chromium-browser

/***type the below for GIMP
apt-get install gimp

/***type the below for Eclipse
apt-get install eclipse

/**type the below for LibreOffice
apt-get install LibreOffice

/***type the below for LXDE (a windows graphical interface) and then launch it by typing lxsession.)
apt-get install lxde.

Please Thank me If this helped you.Again and again Me and WebOS-Internals are not responsible for damages of your HP TP.
Attached Files
File Type: jar WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar (1.16 MB, 2 views) Email Attachment
vignesh hariharasudhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dude, use some code tags. I can't see where one command begins and one ends. The wall of text isn't helping.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 05:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

OK Now first download webOS Quick Install (See attachment).Before downloading install JAVA.If you already have just leave it.
  • And now enable developer mode in your touchpad by typing (webos20090606) (without brackets).
  • Now turn the switch on in the top right corner.it will ask you password.DON'T TYPE ANYTHING IN THE PASSWORD BOX.Ok now connect your TP to your computer. DON'T GET INTO USB DRIVE MODE IN YOUR TP.
  • Now open webOS Quick Install and install Preware.
  • After installing remove the usb cable from your TP.
  • Now open Preware and search for Tailor and install it.
  • After installing open webOS quick install and in the tools tab in upper menubar selext Linux CommandLine.
  • And in the command line type mount -o remount,rw / and then type mkdir -p /media/ext3fs to create a folder that is recogonized by ubuntuchroot.
  • And then type mount -o remount,rw / and then echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab to automatically mount it at boot.
  • Now type mount -a .
  • After installing open Tailor and in the check partition tab select USB Media and in Select Activity tab select unmount partition.
  • After unmounting select check filesystem and below tap the green colour check filesystem box.
  • Now it will ask you to resize partition.
  • Type 10800 MB for 2gb.
  • If you want 4gb type 8904 MB.After resizing mount it by selecting in Select Activity tab.
  • Now go to preware and install Xecutah,XTerm,XServer and UbuntuChroot.

Now open Xecutah and tap XServer.Now go back to Xecutah and tap UbuntuChroot.Now it should have a ubuntu terminal.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/06/2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02/06/2013, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks GMMan for your help.Now onwards i will not type codes as a wall of text.
Old 02/07/2013, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks for the instructions. I think can do with a little bit more clarity.

Code:
echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
mount -a .
It complains there is no such directory, I guess because we haven't created /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs just yet.

Its also not too clear from the instructions if you first re-size the existing USB partition say from 28Gb (for a 32GB TP) down to say 20GB and then create a new partition of 8GB called store-ext3fs.
roshang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

you dont have to touch the command line at all afaik to use ubuntu? all you do is aquire tailor, resize/shrink your internal partition to free some space and when you next create a partition tailor automagically assumes your new partition will be the ext3fs partition that the chroot will use, let tailor make it using whatever space you free'd up then just goto preware and install ubuntuchroot and its all done.

erm thats it, at least thats all ive done, didnt have to touch a terminal or anything else at all.

yeah the fstab entry may or may not be required, i recall having to do it once, but other times it worked without me editing anything, i just edited it with internalZ tho and manually typed it in.

Last edited by geekpeter; 02/07/2013 at 06:45 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshang View Post
Thanks for the instructions. I think can do with a little bit more clarity.

Code:
echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
mount -a .
It complains there is no such directory, I guess because we haven't created /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs just yet.

Its also not too clear from the instructions if you first re-size the existing USB partition say from 28Gb (for a 32GB TP) down to say 20GB and then create a new partition of 8GB called store-ext3fs.
Don't put a period after "mount -a".
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

after you get the most basic ubuntu 11.04 follow the instructions here

Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu

this will bag you a working environment, ONLY when its fully running would you then upgrade to 12.x, the instructions/script on that page only work on 11.04, so if you make a higher chroot or upgrade your 11.04 then run the installer it will fail or mess up badly.

1) get tailor, free some space on touchpad, use free space to make ext3fs partition in tailor.
2) add fstab entry IF tailor refuses to mount the ext3fs after creation or it vanishes after reboot.
3) Install ubuntuchroot 11.04
4) goto zane9000's thread and use his script, or skip this and do manually if you know how.
5) update ubuntu after everything boots up and works IF you need it.

6) read the 2 main ubuntu threads first if you have issues

Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu
TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad

personally i'd read those from end to start as you will read the more indate q&a first rather than the well old issues and fixes.
Old 02/07/2013, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

also if anyone hasnt tried it already, the "Native Ubuntu" project that was also created, while interesting ONLY for the fact you can use a bluetooth mouse is a little fail in general, far 2 glitchy and gfx is far too slow and terribad for it to be any better than webOS native chroot, also the native ubuntu seems unwilling to change from its default gnome environment to anything else, and when i tried forcing the issue it just self imploded and froze.

native = great idea but let down bad by its display driver and terrible gfx performance
webOS chroot = best allround seeing as it runs in a card, but lack of a mouse is its single crippling issue.
Old 02/19/2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks, I just found out the native ubuntu project on xda and was wondering if i should uninstall chroot 11.10.
Your post answered my question.
w2ang is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0