webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Enyo-ify Facebook
Enyo-ify Facebook
Like Tree4Likes

Old 01/30/2013, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

How hard would it be to create a brand new Facebook app in Enyo? I hardly use the current webOS Mojo Facebook app, and instead resort to the web version. However I would love to have a new app and have it coded in enyo instead so that it is faster and more versatile.

Has anyone started doing this already? If not, how would you go about doing so?
Old 01/30/2013, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

touchpad version is enyo isnt it? or did you mean the phone variant?
Old 01/30/2013, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Phono = mojo, TP is Enyo. Would be good to port to Enyo 2 and use updated API so all functionality works properly....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/30/2013, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Enyo 2 works great on the Pre 3 at least. Tested out the new Dutch Railways app created by Palmclub.nl yesterday which is written in Enyo 2 and it works superb on both the Pre 3 and TP so Enyo 2 would be a good way to go plus fhe Facebook API is publicly available so anyone could do it

As a placeholder, one could App Tuckerbox the TP FB app on the Pre 3 which works fine, just a little awkard because of the sliding pane, but for basic tasks just fine.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Enyo is not faster. That was one of the selling points, but it was bs. It may have been faster when they were still prototyping, but in the end, it's kind of a wash. I think they are both fast until you start dealing with long lists. Of course, on phones, Enyo is even a bit slower than Mojo most of the time.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 01/30/2013, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Enyo 1 is not necessarily faster (on smartphones).

Enyo 2, however, really is. I've played with a handful of Enyo 2 apps on TouchPad and on my Pre3 and they fly in a manner Enyo 1 and Mojo never could.
Old 01/30/2013, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
As a placeholder, one could App Tuckerbox the TP FB app on the Pre 3 which works fine, just a little awkard because of the sliding pane, but for basic tasks just fine.
Nice tip, never thought of trying the TouchPad FB app on the Pre 3, thanks!
Old 01/30/2013, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
Enyo 1 is not necessarily faster (on smartphones).

Enyo 2, however, really is. I've played with a handful of Enyo 2 apps on TouchPad and on my Pre3 and they fly in a manner Enyo 1 and Mojo never could.
What is the list of Enyo 2 apps that you're referring to? I would like to try them out.

I may try out the facebook tablet app on my Pre3 and see how it goes.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Enyo 2 works great on the Pre 3 at least. Tested out the new Dutch Railways app created by Palmclub.nl yesterday which is written in Enyo 2 and it works superb on both the Pre 3 and TP so Enyo 2 would be a good way to go plus fhe Facebook API is publicly available so anyone could do it

I was in contact with the developer and he actually made it with Enyo, not with Enyo 2. I'm currently working on an Enyo 2 9292 app, but it's been a quite steep learning curve so far. My time is limited but hope to have an initial version in the next couple of weeks and from there to expand. It's my first app so not easy at all...

What's done so far:

Get disturbances
Get planned maintenance

Get saved locations from account
Get saved trips from account (partly done)

Todo before initial release:

Complete saved trips implememtation (70% done)
Nearby stops & departures (based on GPS)
Trip planning
Account login and create cookie on device
Make it working properly on phones (back gesture, sizes for Veer, Pre2/3 etc)

Future version after initial release:

Add settings (might do on initial release version)
Multi language
Ability to update saved trip & locations from app
Include Google Maps in trip advices

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/30/2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

A 9292 app would be nice, but I don't see that as a priority when it comes to useful Dutch apps... but then again, it's probably one of the easiest ones because they have code to work with.

And you're right, I misread: Spoorino is Enyo 1.

@broncot: You're welcome!
Old 01/30/2013, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
What is the list of Enyo 2 apps that you're referring to? I would like to try them out.
To mind comes:

-Top Watch, a new free app in the App Catalogue.
-Phx Maps, you can grab it from the thread in Open Source Development.
-OWO Memos, also grabbable from OSD.
-Sprw beta, you can grab it from Its blog (sprw)
-Macaw Enyo, but you need to package it from Git for now and the scrolling is jerky at the moment but being worked on.
-Preware Enyo2, but it's fare from usable though the concept is there already.

And there are probably more that I can't think of right now :P
Old 01/30/2013, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
A 9292 app would be nice, but I don't see that as a priority when it comes to useful Dutch apps... but then again, it's probably one of the easiest ones because they have code to work with.

And you're right, I misread: Spoorino is Enyo 1.

@broncot: You're welcome!
Can you make your list, so I can have a look to see what can be done?

9292 is closed source API but I did some snooping around in the Android APK and found interesting bits that I can use for the Enyo 2 app
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Can you make your list, so I can have a look to see what can be done?

9292 is closed source API but I did some snooping around in the Android APK and found interesting bits that I can use for the Enyo 2 app
I think both the (excellent) SpoorInfo app and a potential 9292 app are off topic...still I would guess that 9292 open data should be usable. And it is freely available.

As for an Enyo2 version of the facebook app. For webOS 3.0 there really is no good reason to go Enyo2. For open webOS 1.0 there is likely no good reason to go Enyo2 (since the core-apps are all written in Enyo1, and we therefore can assume that the framework is a first-class (senior) citizen of the open OS (albeit not actively developed anymore)). If you want to (potentially) go beyond webOS (3.0) then things are different of course.

That being said. Any further development is good development.
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 03:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
I think both the (excellent) SpoorInfo app and a potential 9292 app are off topic...still I would guess that 9292 open data should be usable. And it is freely available.

As for an Enyo2 version of the facebook app. For webOS 3.0 there really is no good reason to go Enyo2. For open webOS 1.0 there is likely no good reason to go Enyo2 (since the core-apps are all written in Enyo1, and we therefore can assume that the framework is a first-class (senior) citizen of the open OS (albeit not actively developed anymore)). If you want to (potentially) go beyond webOS (3.0) then things are different of course.

9292 Open Data is pretty much the same as Open OV. However 9292 Open Data would require you to develop your own databases etc, while the Android, iOS and Windows Phone app use the closed source 9292 API which has everything in there already. It's as easy as sending a request and getting a JSON with all the right data back! So that's what I'm using

Enyo 2 certainly has advantages over Enyo (1), especially performance wise and cross device portability. The OWO Memo app written in Enyo 2 works a lot faster on my Veer compared to the stock app on the Veer. Since the Veer only has 800 Mhz CPU it might be that the performance difference is more noticeable there compared to a Pre3 or TP which runs faster by default?

How about other (NL) apps you'd like to see on webOS?
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 05:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll see if I can make a list Herrie

@Misj: Well, the Pre 3 FB app is in need of a replacement so Enyo 2 would be the best to start with and Enyo 2 apps run fine on the Pre 3.
Old 01/31/2013, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

This prompted me to check out the OWO Memos app... and jeez.... if all of our apps were Enyo 2 and as snappy as this I would never leave webOS.

Can we get an Enyo 2 browser with new webkit? One day?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, dkirker is taking care Isis Enyo 2 web browser!
Old 01/31/2013, 10:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post

There are plenty of good reasons to use Enyo 2 across the board, the only good reasons I can think of to use Enyo 1 is if you need access to one of the libraries that it came with, which no one ever used, such as the Accounts interface. I don't know that it was even possible for non-Palm apps to use those libs, I tried for quite a while before I gave up and wrote my own based on it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 12:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

These forums need a nick mention feature, like in IRC.

WRT to Enyo2 vs Enyo1 vs Mojo... It all depends... Enyo2 BLAZES on devices like the iPhone 5 and Android phones, and the computer... But, the list implementation BLOWS CHUNKS so far on webOS 2.0 devices. I suspect that this has to do with lack of compositing (hardware acceleration), or a poor implementation. Some of it could be cleaned up, IMO. Enyo1 lists on the other hand, perform rather well...
Old 02/01/2013, 12:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Never, ever make an app around a closed-source API without written permission amounting to a license from the provider unless:
  • You enjoy having to explain to users why the app they're depending on broke and there's no documentation to tell you why, leaving them in a lurch for long periods of time (see: WhatsApp for webOS)
  • You have really good legal representation if/when the data provider decides to send a few threatening letters your way from its legal team

You're much better off just asking the provider directly if they offer a license or can come to some arrangement to let you use their data.

As for Facebook, the webOS app uses private APIs that tie into sensitive personal data and never in a million years would they let such a port slide without their explicit permission. They're already being watched by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) for the next 20 years due to privacy issues, and as a result Facebook would think nothing of taking a few developers down that decided messing with their private APIs was a smart idea by potentially compromising that data. There's a damned good reason why there are exactly *zero* complete Facebook applications out there competing against Facebook's own app.

Last edited by dignitary; 02/01/2013 at 01:26 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0