Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Grabber had fixed the font size problem in the forums app long time ago. Are you still using the original app catalog version?
    No, I am using the one in Preware, version 1.4.0. Is this the latest?

I would love to see the Forums app support font sizes larger than 18pt, ideally any size I want like wInNeR does, but I'll take a 26pt one for now on my Pre3. I prefer reading 3-5 words per line.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/23/2015 at 05:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    No, I am using the one in Preware, version 1.4.0. Is this the latest?

I would love to see the Forums app support font sizes larger than 18pt, ideally any size I want like wInNeR does, but I'll take a 26pt one for now on my Pre3. I prefer to see 3-5 words per line.
    OK. Maybe if you ask nicely he might try to help you out. You must really hate the browser then, even on your pc
    OK. Maybe if you ask nicely he might try to help you out.

You must really hate the browser then, even on your pc
    I did ask Grabber5.0 in Patch: Fixes and enhancements for Forums app Post #255, but maybe I did not ask nice enough. He seems willing to do it, but he is probably very busy with other things.

Let me try again and hopefully be more clear. On my Pre3, I like when the font size is large enough to fit around 3-5 words per line, edge to edge, like wInNeR allows me to do. This is on a mobile device and is a very comfortable font size for me to read quickly at.

Regarding browsers, I prefer ones that allow me to increase the font size and then reflows the text so that I do not have to scroll horizontally, again like wInNeR does so nicely. Thank you 72ka!

I also really like a Full Screen and Dark Mode options too, both of which wInNeR has as well.

All of these basic features are, unfortunately, hard to find in one web browser, like Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, without any add-ons. I'm glad webOS now has a browser with these features, thanks to 72ka!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/24/2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added link to Post where I asked Grabber5.0 for Forum app Font Size improvement
  4.    #104  
    Thank you for the positive words! I have to say, I really didn't knew that this app could be usefull for the others. In the beggining was only the proof of concept. On the other side, I have to repeat, this app is not a browser, it is just a web reader. You can't do anything with a page except reading. But the reading should be as fast and comfortable as possible.
    BTW I'm thinking of autoscroll with scroll-speed throttling controlled by an accelerometer also. To be able to read whole page without touch. It is just idea at this time...
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    Let me try again and hopefully be more clear. On my Pre3, I like when the font size is large enough to fit around 3-5 words per line, edge to edge, like wInNeR allows me to do. This is on a mobile device and is a very comfortable font size for me to read quickly at.

Regarding browsers, I prefer ones that allow me to increase the font size and then reflows the text so that I do not have to scroll horizontally, again like wInNeR does so nicely. Thank you 72ka!

I also really like a Full Screen and Dark Mode options too, both of which wInNeR has as well.

All of these basic features are, unfortunately, hard to find in one web browser, like Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, without any add-ons. I'm glad webOS now has a browser with these features, thanks to 72ka!
    Don't wanna hijack this thread, but opera (12X and below) I use because it has dynamic zoom mouse wheel slider thing one can drop in the address bar and fit to width button
    Don't wanna hijack this thread, but opera (12X and below) I use because it has dynamic zoom mouse wheel slider thing one can drop in the address bar and fit to width button
    Thank you, laingman, for this tip! I forgot about the Opera web browser for Macs and PCs, and have not used it in a while. I downloaded version 12 and you are right, there is a Fit to Width button that re-flows the text, which is nice. I can also pinch in and out on my Trackpad to change the font size, just like in wInNeR.

There is also a Presentation view (like wInNeR's Full Screen mode), white text on black background style override (like wInNeR's Night Mode), and, of course, much more. Again, thank you laingman for this tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Thank you for the positive words! I have to say, I really didn't know that this app could be useful for the others. In the beginning was only the proof of concept.

On the other side, I have to repeat, this app is not a browser, it is just a web reader. You can't do anything with a page except reading. But the reading should be as fast and comfortable as possible.

BTW I'm thinking of autoscroll with scroll-speed throttling controlled by an accelerometer also. To be able to read whole page without touch. It is just idea at this time...
    Without your wInNeR app, I would not be using my Pre3 to read much on the web. Now with your new Night Mode, I used it for hours last night reading in bed and it worked very well without tiring out my eyes or lighting up the room and disturbing others. Yes, it did work fast and comfortable. It is amazing how nice the Pre3 is to hold in your hand too -- it's not too big or too small; what a great combination when used with your app!

Regarding adding autoscroll, I've used an app that did this in the past (not on webOS) and it seems handy at first, but then became annoying to me when it scrolled too slow, too fast, did not scroll when I wanted it to, or scrolled when I did not want it to, like when moving around a little bit. Maybe you can implement this better and have a quick way to turn it on and off.

Some nice things about autoscroll is your finger no longer gets in the way and it saves wear and tear on your fingers, especially the one used to do all that scrolling, but autoscroll may increase wrist strain.

An autoscroll option to consider is scrolling an entire page at a time (instead of continuously scrolling the page) when the device is tilted back and forth briefly (simulates a Page Down or Up, with one line of overlap) -- I sometimes miss the old Palm OS device's d-pad that made this easy to do.

If you do have some time and energy to add more features to wInNeR, 72ka, then some of the features I hope you will consider adding before implementing autoscroll include:

1. Paste URL button integrated into the Go/Home button as I described in Post #99 above so we can paste a URL without having to open the keyboard (this is my top feature enhancement pick).

2. Shortcuts for Page Up and Page Down along with scrolling to the bottom or top of the page (scrolling to 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of the page would be nice too). A suggested way to implement this is by supporting the following keyboard shortcuts (without requiring a tap and hold in the gesture area, when the focus is not in the URL address field):
    - Page Down: Space Bar
    - Page Up: Shift+Space Bar or @ key
    - Bottom: Period key or B key
    - Top: Sym key or T key

3. Improvements to show quoted text more clearly, especially in these webOS Nation forums since I cannot tell where the quoted text starts and ends. When reading a MacInTouch Reader Report, the quoted text shows up much more clearly.

4. Ability to select and Copy some text or a link so I can share or save the important information I come across while reading. For selecting (highlighting) the text to copy, please support the standard holding down of the Shift key while tapping the text. Then to Copy the selected text, see #8 below (or support its gesture-tap + C keyboard shortcut for now, and, ideally, just press C for Copy, when the focus is not in the address field). For copying a link's path, see #11 below.

5. Night Mode improvement for dark blue links, which are hard to read on a black background, like I described about in Post #99 above.

6. Option to turn Swipe Left and Swipe Right (for going Back or Forward) off in the main content area (not in the Gesture area) since often times when I am trying to scroll quickly, I am taken to the previous page I was at instead.

7. Bookmark improvements, like Edit, Export, Import, etc. (or just store them in a text file that we can edit using Internalz) and bug fixes (took me 3 tries to get a new 6th bookmark added -- had to add it & then immediately close app for it to show up on next launch).

8. A standard webOS App Menu (swipe down from upper left corner) that includes Edit along with Cut, Copy, Paste, Select All and their keyboard shortcuts.
    This App Menu would also be a good place to add "Scroll To" (see #2 above) with the following choices:
    - 1/4
    - Middle
    - 3/4
    - Bottom

9. Menu item to open the current page in the standard webOS web browser.

10. Support for multiple wInNeR app windows being open at the same time.

11. Allow a link to open in a new wInNeR window when the user does any of the following:
    a. tap and hold on a link,
    b. gesture-tap and tap link at the same time,
    c. hold option key down and tap link at the same time.
    To help integrate this with Copying a link's path (see #4 above), pop-up a menu with the following options:
    "New Window"
    "Copy Link"

12. Support for link redirects by checking for the redirects yourself before passing the final link on to be processed, mobilized, and displayed (I am not sure how much of this you already handle, but devotions.net does not work).

13. Could wInNeR 0.0.9 be possibly causing more battery drain when compared to 0.0.8? I've been noticing my Pre3's battery is draining faster since updating wInNeR to 0.0.9 and I don't remember making any other changes lately. I'll often leave wInNeR open (but not the front-most card most of the time) for a day or two as I read through an article in my spare time. I had my Pre3 plugged in during those long reads at night described above.
    Update 1/28/15 6:30p:
    Did not use wInNeR 0.0.9 (closed wInNeR card & restarted) for the last 2 days and my battery life looks like it is back to normal. Do you, 72ka, see anything in wInNeR that could be causing this extra battery drain when the wInNeR app card is left open and in the background?

I'm sure others may have some good ideas too.

But I am very thankful for what you have given us right now in wInNeR, and the above list is not meant as a complaint, criticism, or anything like that. What are your thoughts on all this, 72ka?
    Last edited by UI Designer; 02/05/2015 at 11:31 AM.
    laingman likes this.
    Thank you, laingman, for this tip! I forgot about the Opera web browser for Macs and PCs, and have not used it in a while. I downloaded version 12 and you are right, there is a Fit to Width button that re-flows the text, which is nice. I can also pinch in and out on my Trackpad to change the font size, just like in wInNeR.

There is also a Presentation view (like wInNeR's Full Screen mode), white text on black background style override (like wInNeR's Night Mode), and, of course, much more. Again, thank you laingman for this tip!
    You welcome. Opera desktop (presto) was one of the greatest products that remained unknown to the masses, and got discontinued much like webos.

I read that microsoft's new browser will have a reading mode, so maybe there is some hope that you will get what you want in an up to date browser
    Since the release of 0.0.9 and bugs reported, a next release with fixes was mentioned. Any updates or have I missed it?
    Hello,

trying Winner on a Go (3.0.5), and found some bugs. In portrait mode there are an upper bar (to put a web address) and a bottom bar (with arrows and fonts/zoom) , while in landscape both are missing.
    If the virtual keyboard is used, nothing is inserted in the address area (that area vanishes until the keyboard is displayed), or at the very best the first letter typed gets inserted
  11.    #111  
    Hi, I really like your feedbacks. But I canīt continue in developing in a short time, because I have not a time. So I can react only on some bugs which makes the app unusable. Feature request and improvements like above are impossible to make for me now. A also sold my webOS devices and switched to Windows phone... what a shame, I know :/
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    oh, this is a sad day (selling the webos devices)
    Hi, I really like your feedbacks. But I canīt continue in developing in a short time, because I have not a time. So I can react only on some bugs which makes the app unusable. Feature request and improvements like above are impossible to make for me now. A also sold my webOS devices and switched to Windows phone... what a shame, I know :/
    Will you be porting your back catalog to Windows Phone?

That' where I am these days. I had to give up on FireFoxOS. They seem to have lost direction and the platform has been stagnating for far too long.
    That IS a shame! I hope you will still be around on these forums. We can't afford to lose any webOS developers.
  15.    #115  
    I switched to the another platform because of a hardware issues, the Veer flex cable died and Pre 3 volume buttons and keyboard backlight also died. So I fixed it using another (old) flex cable and sold them. I still own the old Pre Plus and itīs flex cable looks still healthy. From my side, the Veer and Pre3 gave me only a short lifetime... two years, that is bad result of the manufacturer.

At least, Iīm still supporting the Google Maps for webOS functionality and developing the Maps for LuneOS. Just today I pulled the initial release of this brand new app to the webosports repository.

Windows phone is for me just a piece of a new hardware. Iīm waiting for the LuneOS and itī s availability for any Cyanogenmod supported device, because I really miss the webOS idea itself...
    I switched to the another platform because of a hardware issues, the Veer flex cable died and Pre 3 volume buttons and keyboard backlight also died. So I fixed it using another (old) flex cable and sold them. I still own the old Pre Plus and itīs flex cable looks still healthy. From my side, the Veer and Pre3 gave me only a short lifetime... two years, that is bad result of the manufacturer.

At least, Iīm still supporting the Google Maps for webOS functionality and developing the Maps for LuneOS. Just today I pulled the initial release of this brand new app to the webosports repository.

Windows phone is for me just a piece of a new hardware. Iīm waiting for the LuneOS and itī s availability for any Cyanogenmod supported device, because I really miss the webOS idea itself...
    Agreed. I need my phone for my work, so I need it to be very functional, and I need it to be reliable. For that reason, I had to ditch FFXOS and go to WP.

I too hope that soon LuneOS reaches enough maturity that I can jump back in to webOS goodness.
    Which flex cable died ? You mean the Veer has the same potential issue of the slider cutting the cable ?

PS
    Given time, will you keep working on navit, too ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Which flex cable died ? You mean the Veer has the same potential issue of the slider cutting the cable ?

PS
    Given time, will you keep working on navit, too ?
    Not the slider cutting it, just the contacts inside the flex cable wear out with long term use. Had it happen with 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    ....... that's the first time I heard of a flexcable contacts developing issues over time.
    There are things using them since 10y or more, without any issue ....

Defective lots ?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast