Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    Hi 72ka,

I have been a Google Maps user since the being, have always loved your work. I recently discovered your news reader project as a data efficient way of reading news, and I'm loving it.

However I have a problem with one of my favourite news sites, Nachrichten aus Politik, Kultur, Wirtschaft und Sport - Süddeutsche.de Your app downloads about 3-4MBytes while trying to open the start page, and the loading process therefore is a lot slower than with the normaler browser (And seamingly uses more traffic). Individual articles load very fast and data efficiently.
    Do you have any idea why that is? Is that even a bug, or is the website just that big? I'd be happy to help/provide you with logs etc.

Thanks again for your work, you rock!
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by P356A View Post
    Hi 72ka,

I have been a Google Maps user since the being, have always loved your work. I recently discovered your news reader project as a data efficient way of reading news, and I'm loving it.

However I have a problem with one of my favourite news sites, Nachrichten aus Politik, Kultur, Wirtschaft und Sport - Süddeutsche.de Your app downloads about 3-4MBytes while trying to open the start page, and the loading process therefore is a lot slower than with the normaler browser (And seamingly uses more traffic). Individual articles load very fast and data efficiently.
    Do you have any idea why that is? Is that even a bug, or is the website just that big? I'd be happy to help/provide you with logs etc.

Thanks again for your work, you rock!
    Hi, Im intensively working on new version. Im just at testing stage, I tried your page and now download of whole page is 1,1MB. But need to say, I found a lot of issues of data usage information in previous versions. My dev version now contains a new code to fetch images (mainly base64 encoding) and precise information of its size. I hope that 1,1MB corresponds with the real data usage for this site.

BTW it was like an impossible mission to include base64 image encoding to the webOS, where most known methods failed. I was forced to rewrite the image rendering process and use an old techniques and improve them for better performance.

EDIT: Hi, I found another data issues and now Im (almost ) sure that is real. Now the whole site eats only 359kB and loads significantly faster.
    Last edited by 72ka; 11/18/2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: New findings
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    Not sure if this was asked before, but are there any plans to include RSS support? This is one area where webOS has no decent options (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK).
  4.    #64  
    Hi, the 0.0.7 is out! (finally). It brings the most important changes since the first version. The changes are not so visible for users, but I finally implemented the images base64 encoding on our old webOS devices, what was like an impossible mission...
    That fixed the loosing of images in history, because the google proxy provides the images only for a short time (around 10minutes). For the next release I want to add a function to store the history with images to html5 storage instead of memory (like now). This could release a lot of memory and makes the app even more efficient.
    So, look at the changelog for other news.

Who wants to try the app immeadiately, download it here:
    http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/winner..._0.0.7_all.ipk
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Not sure if this was asked before, but are there any plans to include RSS support? This is one area where webOS has no decent options (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK).
    Hi, no plans to include RSS support. The app is mainly aimed not only for webOS. I think that on all platforms are available a bunch of good RSS feeds readers.

But... never say never, to include RSS is an easy task. Is here someone else who miss RSS?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...eder-fork.html

Works for me.

It uses the API's of InoReader & The Old Reader.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Who wants to try the app immeadiately, download it here:
    http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/winner..._0.0.7_all.ipk
    Thanks for the release! This version is much more stable than 0.0.6. BTW, did you get a chance to consider my request?
    "Is it possible to enter text on text fields in the webpage? I cant seem to be able to enter text in search boxes, for example. If not, will it be possible to create one shortcut? If the text entered in the page address box has a space (" "), treat it as a search term and call google on that search term?"

Thanks again!
    Hey 72ka,

thanks so much for the update and fixing the data issues on my favorite news site.
    Your dedication to this community incredible, thank you!
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Is it possible that FeedSpider could launch wInNeR when you ask for the full page instead of the default browser? i.e. can wInNeR take a URL as an argument or however webOS does it? That would be really really handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...eder-fork.html

Works for me.

It uses the API's of InoReader & The Old Reader.
    Thx! Im aware of FS. It looks like a very good app and I hope it evolves into something really complete.

The issue is that I'd prefer something that directly downloads and parses RSS feeds without reliance on servers and creating accounts w/ middlemen. Such a full-featured app will ideally support most/all RSS versions and Atom, etc. Im not sure if this will be a tall order or what the challenges are but I think that such features will make for decent differentiators.

Quote Originally Posted by 72ka
    But... never say never, to include RSS is an easy task.
    I guess I'll hang on to that sliver of hope then - even if current demand adds up to one.

The issue is that I'd prefer something that directly downloads and parses RSS feeds without reliance on servers and creating accounts w/ middlemen. Such a full-featured app will ideally support most/all RSS versions and Atom, etc. Im not sure if this will be a tall order or what the challenges are but I think that such features will make for decent differentiators.

I guess I'll hang on to that sliver of hope then - even if current demand adds up to one.
    how about feedreader. Full page is linked to webbrowser though, but could be patched to open winner if it supports cross-app API or even easier if winner would register for weblinks (like offlineBrowser).
    Thx again! I'll consider that an option.
    Anything would be a welcomed step forward at this point.
    Hi 72ka,

This is still one of my favorite webOS apps for reading webpages since I can view them in a larger font size and use the entire screen (tap & hold to toggle full screen mode)!

Thank you, 72ka, for creating this app and fixing the auto scroll to top of page issue I ran into over a year ago! It has been working well lately (except for when the web page is fairly long, like this thread, and I'm getting close to the end of it, if I switch to another app and come back or rotate the screen, often by mistake, then I loose my position).

The main thing that would really make this app even better for me is the addition of a Dark Mode (Invert Colors Mode) where the text is white and the background is black. This would really help when reading at night or in a dark room.

Do you think you would have any time to add this feature? Thank you again so much for this app and your Google Maps app!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/06/2015 at 11:50 PM.
  14.    #74  
    Hello, Im shocked that you use the WiNeR. I thought that Im the only one I use it every day a couple times. Your request is good idea and it could be not so a big task. At this time I m very active on Enyo 2 maps to finalize it for LuneOS and legacy devices.
    But it is not a problem to switch for a while to winner, maybe also upgrade to Enyo 2.5.
    barryb20 likes this.
    Oh thank you, 72ka, for being willing to add a Dark Mode option! When I saw that the last post in this thread was over a year ago, I wasn't quite sure if you would see my post -- it makes me very happy that you are still developing for webOS! Thank you, thank you!

Yes, I use your app often too. And soon I'll be able to use it even more at night with Dark Mode.

Your wInNeR and Google Maps apps have helped me stay with webOS, especially wInNeR, since I do a lot of reading. Your font size support is awesome! Thank you, 72ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hello, Im shocked that you use the WiNeR. I thought that Im the only one I use it every day a couple times. Your request is good idea and it could be not so a big task. At this time I m very active on Enyo 2 maps to finalize it for LuneOS and legacy devices.
    But it is not a problem to switch for a while to winner, maybe also upgrade to Enyo 2.5.
    Well, I never knew about WiNeR untill I saw UI Designers post the other day.
    It's a great app!!!
    Thanks for sharing.

Martin :-)

P.S. I just installed Google Maps and HERE on my Touchpad.
    I only have the wifi TP, but I had to try them out. :-)
    Google Maps works fantastic, but HERE only works on the upper half of the screen. Same thing in portrait mode.
    Is that a known bug, or is it just my TP?
    (yes, I live in Copenhagen, Denmark) :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by martinjochimsen; 01/07/2015 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinjochimsen View Post
    Well, I never knew about WiNeR untill I saw UI Designers post the other day.
    It's a great app!!!
    Thanks for sharing
    Same for me :-)
    To add a page to favorites you have to tap left of the adress bar where the small icon at the startpage was.
    But how can I open a page that is saved in the favorites?
    I couldn't find out so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    To add a page to favorites you have to tap left of the adress bar where the small icon at the startpage was.

But how can I open a page that is saved in the favorites?
    I couldn't find out so far...
    Tap the Home icon to the right of the address bar, when not editing the address, otherwise that Home icon turns into "Go!" button.

Which webOS device are you using? What I described works for me on a Pre3, but I think I remember it not working on a Veer a while back.

You can always exit the app and relaunch it to have the Favorites show up.
    Thank you.
    I used a Veer and a TouchPad. In both cases I got the startpage only with the version information of the app.
    Does the version information disappear on a Pre 3 to make space for the favorites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    Thank you.
    I used a Veer and a TouchPad. In both cases I got the startpage only with the version information of the app.

Does the version information disappear on a Pre 3 to make space for the favorites?
    No, the Favorites show up after the version info. You are right, Favorites do not show up on a TouchPad. Looks like Favorites only works on a Pre3.

Maybe 72ka can look into fixing this when adding a Dark Mode option. Being able to Copy interesting text that we come across while reading would be a nice feature to add too.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 01/08/2015 at 02:18 PM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast