webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > webOS Intelligent News Reader - "wInNeR"
webOS Intelligent News Reader - "wInNeR"
Like Tree35Likes

Old 01/16/2013, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Very nice! Tried it out on a couple of sites and it definitely does a fine job stripping the site down to the content. Keep up the good work! Being able to bookmark sites for quick access would be a nice plus. Heck, it'd be great to have a contextual link patched into the web browser so if I come across a link to a story I want to read in your app it can launch it straight into it. Just coming up with ideas.

Also want to thank you for the superb Google Maps app. I don't know how you do it, but on the Pre3 with GPS turned on, it's pretty darn accurate! I love it.
Hi, thank you, please update the wInNeR, the 0.0.1 contain a bug, where the pages isnt whole from begining. Please update to the 0.0.2 from updated link.

About Google Maps, thank you, you, as Pre3 owner, can look forward for smooth zoom and pan soon...
Old 01/16/2013, 02:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Jan, you keep amazing me with your apps! Great work as always! Happy to see you could get Enyo 2 working :-) Managed to get PhoneGap working properly and figured out how to "minify" your app?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/17/2013, 02:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

I like where this is going. I think bookmarks, that would ideally load on the home screen, and some type of read it later option would be ideal for this app. I also noticed on the 0.0.2 version that it does not respond very well when i try to scroll down or up a page, i swipe with my finger but the page moves only a little bit.

Keep up the good work Jan. I have been very slowly studying some js, html and css to learn some coding just for fun but i find it quite hard to adapt since there so many things one must know. All the stuff i mentioned along with jquery, APIs, the enyo or phonegap framework etc. I am just a hample chemical engineer with no background on computers. Sure i get the logic behind coding but need to invest a lot of time if i am going to actually do something however small for fun. So my hat's off to you and all the devs that create this magic called apps.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalogia View Post
I like where this is going. I think bookmarks, that would ideally load on the home screen, and some type of read it later option would be ideal for this app. I also noticed on the 0.0.2 version that it does not respond very well when i try to scroll down or up a page, i swipe with my finger but the page moves only a little bit.
Hi, as i said, the scroller performance is poor... I could add the switch to preferences for default scroller class, where performance is good, but annyoing selections... You´ll see.

About the developing, if you want to learn it, your welcome, you can ask me for everything. I´m not an professional too, I´m an mechanical engineer in aerospace - that´s my job what I really like.

Anyway, I found that the 0.0.2 conatins more issues... I´ll try today post 0.0.3 with the switch for scroller behavior.
Thanked by jcmarcos, kkalogia, Rnp
Old 01/17/2013, 07:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

Thank you for your response. Sorry, i missed the part about the poor scroll performance so i guess i was just stating the obvious. And i will probably take you up on your offer to ask you stuff about coding, but not here, this thread is for your wInNer app. Keep it up.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 02:22 PM   #26 (permalink)

...for your webOS work. I will be watching this thread. Thanks again.
josephandrews222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 02:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
I´m not an professional too, I´m an mechanical engineer in aerospace - that´s my job what I really like.
Now, if that ain't cool, I don't know what is!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/20/2013, 02:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, looks like i have done the next version. I think this version could be the first for submitting to Preware. It contains new features, design, animation, preferences save etc... and, and this is the most important, finally fixed the scroller performance!

You can download the 0.0.3 here the webos package:

http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/winner..._0.0.3_all.ipk

And more, who wants to try it on your PC? Recommended browser is Chrome or Chromium and you HAVE to close all Chrome instances and launch new with these switches:

Code:
chrome --disable-web-security --enable-file-cookies
Then just click here: wInNeR

Enjoy it

Last edited by 72ka; 01/20/2013 at 04:13 PM.
72ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Rnp, virox
Old 01/20/2013, 07:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, looks like i have done the next version. I think this version could be the first for submitting to Preware. It contains new features, design, animation, preferences save etc... and, and this is the most important, finally fixed the scroller performance!

You can download the 0.0.3 here the webos package:

http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/winner/cz.72ka.winner_0.0.3_all.ipk

And more, who wants to try it on your PC? Recommended browser is Chrome or Chromium and you HAVE to close all Chrome instances and launch new with these switches:

[CODE]chrome --disable-web-security --enable-file-cookies

Then just click here: wInNeR

Enjoy it
Great work!
The scroller does seem to be fast compared to all other Enyo apps on my pre3'. How did you get it going fast? Is this something other apps could benefit from?

Thanks and keep up the great work,
Baldric

baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 09:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

scroller is nice and snappy! I'm not sure if this is a good site to test it on but I went to theverge.com and it just kept churning. I let it get up to 40MB before I gave up and closed the card. Is that just something that happens with pages that will auto load stories forever?
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 10:17 PM   #31 (permalink)

Honzo, je to supr aplikacka na ten nas "oblibeny" FUP. Diky.
eLzyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 03:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldric View Post
Great work!
The scroller does seem to be fast compared to all other Enyo apps on my pre3'. How did you get it going fast? Is this something other apps could benefit from?

Thanks and keep up the great work,
Baldric

Yes, the point of this issue was bubbling mouse events. You have to preventDefault the horizontal dragStart events and a mousedown event. Then, for disable native link click I had to prevent the mouseup event too.

Code:
mouseDown: function(inSender, inEvent) {
		inEvent.preventDefault();
	},

dragStart: function(inSender, inEvent) {
		if (inEvent.horizontal) {
			inEvent.preventDefault();
			// Prevent drag propagation on horizontal drag events
			return true;
		}
	},
Try it in your app...
Old 01/21/2013, 03:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
scroller is nice and snappy! I'm not sure if this is a good site to test it on but I went to theverge.com and it just kept churning. I let it get up to 40MB before I gave up and closed the card. Is that just something that happens with pages that will auto load stories forever?
Hmm.. its a huge site, a lot of scripts, then the result is long page without scripts... OK, just remember that it is focused to mobile versions of the web. And, looks like I have to add the stop loading button and some restriction to such a big pages
Old 01/21/2013, 03:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLzyx View Post
Honzo, je to supr aplikacka na ten nas "oblibeny" FUP. Diky.
Díky, ono v cizině to možná nebude mít takové uplatnění jako v tom našem blbákově...
Old 01/21/2013, 04:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just created the github tree, you can look into the code here: http://github.com/72ka/wInNeR
Thanked By: Proximity
Old 01/22/2013, 10:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

I installed the app and tried to use it. If in enter "nytimes.com", I get a blank screen, nothing to do. Same if I type my local rag, sacbee.com and huffpost.com. I do get listings if I type aljazeera.com, but no results when I click on anything. What exactly is this app for? Maybe I'm misusing it...
Old 02/03/2013, 06:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shneor View Post
I installed the app and tried to use it. If in enter "nytimes.com", I get a blank screen, nothing to do. Same if I type my local rag, sacbee.com and huffpost.com. I do get listings if I type aljazeera.com, but no results when I click on anything. What exactly is this app for? Maybe I'm misusing it...
Hi, thanks for this report. I checked it and found some new findigs. The nytimes.com and others directly redirects to their mobile sites and are not able to load them through google proxy. Because the app doesn't support redirects, shows only blank page.
The aljazeera.com loads properly, some first articles are not clickable, this is the google proxy issue, not the app.
You can always check the www.google.com/gwt/x and insert the desired page, the app is the wrapper around this proxy and check if it works. If not here, not in wInNeR...

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Old 02/05/2013, 06:23 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
Hi, thanks for this report. I checked it and found some new findigs. The nytimes.com and others directly redirects to their mobile sites and are not able to load them through google proxy. Because the app doesn't support redirects, shows only blank page.
The aljazeera.com loads properly, some first articles are not clickable, this is the google proxy issue, not the app.
You can always check the www.google.com/gwt/x and insert the desired page, the app is the wrapper around this proxy and check if it works. If not here, not in wInNeR...

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Thanks for the research & info. But it appears that this behavior is fairly common except for news aggregators. Still, limited use is better than none.

Shneor
Old 02/06/2013, 07:47 AM   #39 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shneor View Post
Thanks for the research & info. But it appears that this behavior is fairly common except for news aggregators. Still, limited use is better than none.

Shneor
We are so small country and Google doesn´t know our news websites for us is this app very usefull in combination with fair user policy of carrier data.

BTW, I´m working on update with more features...
Thanked By: Proximity
Old 03/03/2013, 04:34 AM   #40 (permalink)

Hi Jan,
Just wondering if you can send a link from another app to open and load within winNeR? or use JustType?

Thanks
Baldric
baldric is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0