Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    There are Emojis-Emoticon keyboard-extension apps on other platforms that can send special emoticons via Messages/SMS, that can't be displayed in the webOS Messaging app (only undefinedcharacter squares are displayed).

    As MojoWhatsapp is able to display these emojis, would it be possible to implement just the display of these in the stock messages app?
  2. #2  
    Hummm... This is... not a bad idea.


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3. #3  
    I think the problem is in the textbox of elemetos webos, you could make a patch for the textbox is able to plot the emoticons.
  4. #4  
    Hmm... if only the WebKit core supported SVG, this could be fixed almost instantly by defining a SVG font for all the Emoji charcodes, with the fallback font for the text characters being set to the existing typeface.

    So our only choice now is to either use canvas to display the whole message, or use image sprites for the Emoji and RegExp to detect those charcodes. Not very elegant, but it works.
  5. #5  
    I patched mojo to parse through them, and then read the images from a folder and display them. As for adding them while typing... I need to add that too. They will insert into the text box as a square though, until you press submit. It is something that might be fixable, but I don't have the time at the moment.

    I'll upload the patch for the messaging app, but you'll have to grab the images somewhere else, because the only complete sets that I can find are ripped from the iPhone, and I don't have authority to distribute them).
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I patched mojo to parse through them, and then read the images from a folder and display them. As for adding them while typing... I need to add that too. They will insert into the text box as a square though, until you press submit. It is something that might be fixable, but I don't have the time at the moment.

    I'll upload the patch for the messaging app, but you'll have to grab the images somewhere else, because the only complete sets that I can find are ripped from the iPhone, and I don't have authority to distribute them).
    Sounds great, would it be possible to use the set from mojowhatsup, if installed (tweaks Option for folder) ?
    the sqare part is same there and no real prob.
  7. #7  
    I think there may be some issues with the SMS system as well that might get in the way here -- I discovered a while back, that sending some symbols from the Symbol button on a phone, will turn your entire message into complete garbage -- whether the receiver is a webOS device, or some other.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I think there may be some issues with the SMS system as well that might get in the way here -- I discovered a while back, that sending some symbols from the Symbol button on a phone, will turn your entire message into complete garbage -- whether the receiver is a webOS device, or some other.
    Yes, this is due to webOS not sending the SMS as UTF-16. I could probably fix it in a few minutes, but 1) i don't yet know where the SMS-handling code is located, and 2) i have texting disabled on all my phones and i don't feel like calling Verizon to enable it and then disable it again...


    Anyhow, what needs to be done is to check the message character by character using charCodeAt and if there is anything beyond the Latin extended charset, change the whole message to UTF-16.

    UTF-16 uses more data to store each character, so it should only be used when required.

    Oh, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Sprint$ $network$ $also$ $doesn$'$t$ $allow$ $anything$ $besides$ $Latin$, $unless$ $that$ $changed$ $over$ $the$ $last$ $two$ $years$, $so$ $whoever$ $will$ $be$ $testing$ $the$ $upcoming$ $patch$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $be$ $on$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$, $T$-$Mo$ $or$ $VZW$....
  9. #9  
    That may be the problem that I had then -- both of the people I tested it with were on Sprint. In that case, it may be a non-issue for other carriers. I haven't tried it using Google Voice/SynerGV, I only did it on accident, then when I saw the message come out mangled on the other end, I checked it with a dumb phone, and the dumb phone also got the garbage. . . i just sort of assumed that US SMS only did ASCII or something like that.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10. #10  
    Well, i think both webOS and Sprint have this problem, but we should get together with someone who can test this and put out a patch for everyone

    Unfortunately my "dumbphone" doesn't support those other charsets either, so we'll just need to find two webOS testers who aren't on Sprint
  11. #11  
    When I was peeking around in carrierdb.json I'm sure I saw a flag there for the encoding somewhere! It could be as easy as updating this value for the carriers that we know have the problems?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    When I was peeking around in carrierdb.json I'm sure I saw a flag there for the encoding somewhere! It could be as easy as updating this value for the carriers that we know have the problems?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Herrie, the problem is twofold... some carriers, like Sprint, have outright refused to support non-Latin charsets. Other carriers do allow that, but it looks like webOS fails to re-encode messages with non-Latin characters into UTF-16.

    So, plain English/French/Spanish/German works fine everywhere and is sent in some ASCII format... but Russian, Japanese, Arabic have to be sent as UTF-16, and even then, Sprint's servers mangle it.

    webOS seems to handle all OS text as UTF-8, so i'll have to see how SMS messages are "packaged"


    Lastly, UTF-16 takes more data to send a string of the same length, so it should only be used when it's truly necessary
    Last edited by Remy X; 12/28/2012 at 02:09 AM.
  13.    #13  
    I could test with a EU(UK)-Pre2 with german webOS 2.2.4 on german O2. But only if i could send/recieve in webos, cause i have no other mobile OS to test from.
    Remy X likes this.
  14. #14  
    @gizmo,

    Thanks

    @dkirker,

    Would the complete emoji set on the iPhone be a font or a collection of image sprites? ....because if i could extract that from an iOS ROM or somehow else (to compare), i could use open-source clip-art and build up a font that could be later used. It's not so much a priority now, but this will have to be done for openwebOS in any case, so legacy should benefit at some point, whenever this gets taken care of
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @gizmo,

    Thanks

    @dkirker,

    Would the complete emoji set on the iPhone be a font or a collection of image sprites? ....because if i could extract that from an iOS ROM or somehow else (to compare), i could use open-source clip-art and build up a font that could be later used. It's not so much a priority now, but this will have to be done for openwebOS in any case, so legacy should benefit at some point, whenever this gets taken care of

    as i wrote above, it's all there for webOS already as .png files (perhaps the iOS version) in the .ipk of mojowhatsup:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ent-webos.html

    extract and go to directory:
    com.palm.mojowhatsup_1.5.0_all.ipk\data.tar\.\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.mojowhatsup\images\

    if it's more useful to use a font instead of .png (perhaps for the text input areas, where also in Mojowhatsup the emojis are displayed as rectangles as the icons are not in the prelude font), search for DroidSansFallback.7z in google to get DroidSansFallback.ttf which already includes the outlined icons
    They are (sometimes not very good) bitmapped from : iPhone‚‚ŠG•Žš‚I

    But for a preview in the text writing area it could be enough and better then this: http://img2.uplood.fr/freepalm/thumb...-12_091212.png

    Sources:
    Emoji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://github.com/iamcal/php-emoji and there: iphone_emoji.png
    iPhone‚‚ŠG•Žš‚I scroll down

    See Basketball (E42A) Example ( oldstyle emoji, font emoji, iphone emoji) :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remy X likes this.
  16. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #16  
    Does this work yet?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    That may be the problem that I had then -- both of the people I tested it with were on Sprint. In that case, it may be a non-issue for other carriers. I haven't tried it using Google Voice/SynerGV, I only did it on accident, then when I saw the message come out mangled on the other end, I checked it with a dumb phone, and the dumb phone also got the garbage. . . i just sort of assumed that US SMS only did ASCII or something like that.
    Definitely not plain ASCII on the phone side because Chinese text worked while I'm in Hong Kong.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Definitely not plain ASCII on the phone side because Chinese text worked while I'm in Hong Kong.
    So, you were inputting and sending the text, correct?

    What OS version? (I'm now starting to think it was v.1.4 that has the issue with foreign charsets)


    @gizmo,

    Thanks man... that was really nice of you to look this up, something i should have probably done myself ...i'm not quite sure though how i managed to miss your post
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/06/2013 at 05:06 PM.
  19.    #19  
    well amarilico already managed to get the emojis displayed in the textarea by using a different font (mojowhatsup thread) but that won't be a solution here as the Messaging App won't look as nice with a droid font. sadly my experiments with editing prelude were semi successful (but have not tried it on live device).

    btw. try to copy a Mojowhatsup message with emoji and send it to yourself by pasting into messaging app. On O2 germany it seems it's correctly send/recv in UTF and only the font problem exists. Perhaps we should watch out on those "webos cyrillic" , "webos arabic"... threads how they altered the fonts to display their letters.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 01/06/2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Remy X likes this.
  20. #20  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $Cyrillic$ $support$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $box$ ($but$ $not$ $K$/$B$ $layout$), $but$ $not$ $Arabic$.. $have$ $to$ $double$-$check$ $on$ $my$ $Pre$+....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions