webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 11/29/2012, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

There are Emojis-Emoticon keyboard-extension apps on other platforms that can send special emoticons via Messages/SMS, that can't be displayed in the webOS Messaging app (only undefinedcharacter squares are displayed).

As MojoWhatsapp is able to display these emojis, would it be possible to implement just the display of these in the stock messages app?
Old 11/29/2012, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rnp

Hummm... This is... not a bad idea.

Best Regards...
Old 11/29/2012, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think the problem is in the textbox of elemetos webos, you could make a patch for the textbox is able to plot the emoticons.
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmm... if only the WebKit core supported SVG, this could be fixed almost instantly by defining a SVG font for all the Emoji charcodes, with the fallback font for the text characters being set to the existing typeface.

So our only choice now is to either use canvas to display the whole message, or use image sprites for the Emoji and RegExp to detect those charcodes. Not very elegant, but it works.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I patched mojo to parse through them, and then read the images from a folder and display them. As for adding them while typing... I need to add that too. They will insert into the text box as a square though, until you press submit. It is something that might be fixable, but I don't have the time at the moment.

I'll upload the patch for the messaging app, but you'll have to grab the images somewhere else, because the only complete sets that I can find are ripped from the iPhone, and I don't have authority to distribute them).
Old 12/27/2012, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I patched mojo to parse through them, and then read the images from a folder and display them. As for adding them while typing... I need to add that too. They will insert into the text box as a square though, until you press submit. It is something that might be fixable, but I don't have the time at the moment.

I'll upload the patch for the messaging app, but you'll have to grab the images somewhere else, because the only complete sets that I can find are ripped from the iPhone, and I don't have authority to distribute them).
Sounds great, would it be possible to use the set from mojowhatsup, if installed (tweaks Option for folder) ?
the sqare part is same there and no real prob.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think there may be some issues with the SMS system as well that might get in the way here -- I discovered a while back, that sending some symbols from the Symbol button on a phone, will turn your entire message into complete garbage -- whether the receiver is a webOS device, or some other.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I think there may be some issues with the SMS system as well that might get in the way here -- I discovered a while back, that sending some symbols from the Symbol button on a phone, will turn your entire message into complete garbage -- whether the receiver is a webOS device, or some other.
Yes, this is due to webOS not sending the SMS as UTF-16. I could probably fix it in a few minutes, but 1) i don't yet know where the SMS-handling code is located, and 2) i have texting disabled on all my phones and i don't feel like calling Verizon to enable it and then disable it again...

Anyhow, what needs to be done is to check the message character by character using charCodeAt and if there is anything beyond the Latin extended charset, change the whole message to UTF-16.

UTF-16 uses more data to store each character, so it should only be used when required.

Oh, and AFAIK, the Sprint network also doesn't allow anything besides Latin, unless that changed over the last two years, so whoever will be testing the upcoming patch will have to be on AT&T, T-Mo or VZW....
Old 12/27/2012, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That may be the problem that I had then -- both of the people I tested it with were on Sprint. In that case, it may be a non-issue for other carriers. I haven't tried it using Google Voice/SynerGV, I only did it on accident, then when I saw the message come out mangled on the other end, I checked it with a dumb phone, and the dumb phone also got the garbage. . . i just sort of assumed that US SMS only did ASCII or something like that.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, i think both webOS and Sprint have this problem, but we should get together with someone who can test this and put out a patch for everyone

Unfortunately my "dumbphone" doesn't support those other charsets either, so we'll just need to find two webOS testers who aren't on Sprint
Old 12/27/2012, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

When I was peeking around in carrierdb.json I'm sure I saw a flag there for the encoding somewhere! It could be as easy as updating this value for the carriers that we know have the problems?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/28/2012, 12:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
When I was peeking around in carrierdb.json I'm sure I saw a flag there for the encoding somewhere! It could be as easy as updating this value for the carriers that we know have the problems?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Herrie, the problem is twofold... some carriers, like Sprint, have outright refused to support non-Latin charsets. Other carriers do allow that, but it looks like webOS fails to re-encode messages with non-Latin characters into UTF-16.

So, plain English/French/Spanish/German works fine everywhere and is sent in some ASCII format... but Russian, Japanese, Arabic have to be sent as UTF-16, and even then, Sprint's servers mangle it.

webOS seems to handle all OS text as UTF-8, so i'll have to see how SMS messages are "packaged"

Lastly, UTF-16 takes more data to send a string of the same length, so it should only be used when it's truly necessary

Last edited by Remy X; 12/28/2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12/28/2012, 04:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I could test with a EU(UK)-Pre2 with german webOS 2.2.4 on german O2. But only if i could send/recieve in webos, cause i have no other mobile OS to test from.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 12/28/2012, 05:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

@gizmo,

Thanks

@dkirker,

Would the complete emoji set on the iPhone be a font or a collection of image sprites? ....because if i could extract that from an iOS ROM or somehow else (to compare), i could use open-source clip-art and build up a font that could be later used. It's not so much a priority now, but this will have to be done for openwebOS in any case, so legacy should benefit at some point, whenever this gets taken care of
Old 12/30/2012, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
@gizmo,

Thanks

@dkirker,

Would the complete emoji set on the iPhone be a font or a collection of image sprites? ....because if i could extract that from an iOS ROM or somehow else (to compare), i could use open-source clip-art and build up a font that could be later used. It's not so much a priority now, but this will have to be done for openwebOS in any case, so legacy should benefit at some point, whenever this gets taken care of

as i wrote above, it's all there for webOS already as .png files (perhaps the iOS version) in the .ipk of mojowhatsup:
http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ent-webos.html

extract and go to directory:
com.palm.mojowhatsup_1.5.0_all.ipk\data.tar\.\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.mojowhatsup\images\

if it's more useful to use a font instead of .png (perhaps for the text input areas, where also in Mojowhatsup the emojis are displayed as rectangles as the icons are not in the prelude font), search for DroidSansFallback.7z in google to get DroidSansFallback.ttf which already includes the outlined icons
They are (sometimes not very good) bitmapped from : iPhone‚‚ŠG•Žš‚I

But for a preview in the text writing area it could be enough and better then this: http://img2.uplood.fr/freepalm/thumb...-12_091212.png

Sources:
Emoji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://github.com/iamcal/php-emoji and there: iphone_emoji.png
iPhone‚‚ŠG•Žš‚I scroll down

See Basketball (E42A) Example ( oldstyle emoji, font emoji, iphone emoji) :
Attached Images
File Type: png E42A.png (4.4 KB, 81 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg E42A_as_oldstyleIcon.jpg (8.9 KB, 16 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg E42A_as_ttf.jpg (39.5 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/04/2013 at 10:36 AM.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/06/2013, 12:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Does this work yet?
PLinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
That may be the problem that I had then -- both of the people I tested it with were on Sprint. In that case, it may be a non-issue for other carriers. I haven't tried it using Google Voice/SynerGV, I only did it on accident, then when I saw the message come out mangled on the other end, I checked it with a dumb phone, and the dumb phone also got the garbage. . . i just sort of assumed that US SMS only did ASCII or something like that.
Definitely not plain ASCII on the phone side because Chinese text worked while I'm in Hong Kong.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Definitely not plain ASCII on the phone side because Chinese text worked while I'm in Hong Kong.
So, you were inputting and sending the text, correct?

What OS version? (I'm now starting to think it was v.1.4 that has the issue with foreign charsets)

@gizmo,

Thanks man... that was really nice of you to look this up, something i should have probably done myself ...i'm not quite sure though how i managed to miss your post

Last edited by Remy X; 01/06/2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01/06/2013, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

well amarilico already managed to get the emojis displayed in the textarea by using a different font (mojowhatsup thread) but that won't be a solution here as the Messaging App won't look as nice with a droid font. sadly my experiments with editing prelude were semi successful (but have not tried it on live device).

btw. try to copy a Mojowhatsup message with emoji and send it to yourself by pasting into messaging app. On O2 germany it seems it's correctly send/recv in UTF and only the font problem exists. Perhaps we should watch out on those "webos cyrillic" , "webos arabic"... threads how they altered the fonts to display their letters.

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/06/2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01/06/2013, 05:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

AFAIK, there's Cyrillic support out of the box (but not K/B layout), but not Arabic.. have to double-check on my Pre+....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0