webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Like Tree12Likes

Old 01/07/2013, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 05:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

The DroidSansFallback.ttf is a great first step, actually!

Old 01/07/2013, 05:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 05:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
Yeah, definitely!

I had been looking at the email app, since it uses a richtext field with a shadow text field. I've got so much on my plate, but I am soooo tempted to whip up something this evening!

Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/07/2013, 05:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Oh, and did you see what i mean there? <em> = Emoji

I know that <em> is for emphasis, but we so often use <b>, <i>, and <u> that using specially marked <em> tags as emoticon containers wouldn't be a bad practice. If the copy event can be trapped (at least i know that webOS provides a clipboard API), we can just use x.innerText to grab plain text, and the font will be a good fallback...

And we don't even have to use a class attribute, we can define our own and later even standardize the tag's new use throughout the OS...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2015, 10:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Years later.... I am reviving a dead thread (I like to live on the edge sometimes....) and looked at this again. For some reason, messages that I receive from friends that have emoji basically get their emoji replaced with the unicode character for error. This seems to be by the sms subsystem.... So, I guess I will have to hunt to see what in the subsystem deals with that... If possible, since we don't have the source for this.

Old 11/11/2015, 12:28 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Years later.... I am reviving a dead thread (I like to live on the edge sometimes....) and looked at this again. For some reason, messages that I receive from friends that have emoji basically get their emoji replaced with the unicode character for error. This seems to be by the sms subsystem.... So, I guess I will have to hunt to see what in the subsystem deals with that... If possible, since we don't have the source for this.
Isn't it similar to not having a font library for the emoji? I get the little rectangle too, like when something is typed in cyrillic or some language with its own characters. Can the emoji library be added like a font?

Sorry i didn't read whole thread if this is discussed.
Old 11/11/2015, 10:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I notice Macaw has emoji / emoticons. I think it displays a white rectangle when entered, but final messages are displayed properly, so perhaps there is a solution there...

Or what is the condition of the LuneOS SMS app?
Old 11/11/2015, 11:01 AM   #29 (permalink)

It's basic but functional (the LuneOS messaging app). I believe someone is working on it. Haven't tried sending an emoji to it.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/15/2015 at 10:15 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 11/14/2015, 11:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

I helped get emoji into Project Macaw.

Anyway! When looking at another issue I seem to be having with the SMS/MMS stuff, I noticed that my MacOS terminal app was displaying emoji characters in the command line through Novacom. So, this makes me a liar; but I will happily take it! So now I just need to figure out what is up between reading from the database and the messaging app, then transcode the emoji!

Liked by vgg, Grabber5.0, virox and 2 others like this.
Thanked By: virox
Old 02/05/2016, 08:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

Wouldn't adding a font file that is directed towards emoji into the fonts folder and defining it inside the messaging app work?
Old 02/07/2016, 09:47 AM   #32 (permalink)

I don't think that will work as it appears as though webOS has trouble displaying utf16 double character codes. I have attempted that in Project Macaw but with no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
Wouldn't adding a font file that is directed towards emoji into the fonts folder and defining it inside the messaging app work?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Andrew Hunt
Old 02/08/2016, 04:14 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldric View Post
I don't think that will work as it appears as though webOS has trouble displaying utf16 double character codes. I have attempted that in Project Macaw but with no success.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
I'm *hoping* but not promising, that I will be able to upgrade WebKit (somehow I think upgrading the WebKit in Luna is a crapshoot....) and get it to support this properly. We'll see..... First the browser anyway....

I know if dumps the right data when using ls-monitor. I was hoping to be able to snag that data, but I guess it gets to WebKit and gets clobbered. :/

Liked by cbosdell and Andrew Hunt like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0