Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
    Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    The DroidSansFallback.ttf is a great first step, actually!
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
    Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
    Yeah, definitely!

I had been looking at the email app, since it uses a richtext field with a shadow text field. I've got so much on my plate, but I am soooo tempted to whip up something this evening!
    Did you know:

Remy X likes this.

Oh, and did you see what i mean there? <em> = Emoji

I know that <em> is for emphasis, but we so often use <b>, <i>, and <u> that using specially marked <em> tags as emoticon containers wouldn't be a bad practice. If the copy event can be trapped (at least i know that webOS provides a clipboard API), we can just use x.innerText to grab plain text, and the font will be a good fallback...

And we don't even have to use a class attribute, we can define our own and later even standardize the tag's new use throughout the OS...
    Years later.... I am reviving a dead thread (I like to live on the edge sometimes....) and looked at this again. For some reason, messages that I receive from friends that have emoji basically get their emoji replaced with the unicode character for error. This seems to be by the sms subsystem.... So, I guess I will have to hunt to see what in the subsystem deals with that... If possible, since we don't have the source for this.
    Did you know:

Years later.... I am reviving a dead thread (I like to live on the edge sometimes....) and looked at this again. For some reason, messages that I receive from friends that have emoji basically get their emoji replaced with the unicode character for error. This seems to be by the sms subsystem.... So, I guess I will have to hunt to see what in the subsystem deals with that... If possible, since we don't have the source for this.
    Isn't it similar to not having a font library for the emoji? I get the little rectangle too, like when something is typed in cyrillic or some language with its own characters. Can the emoji library be added like a font?

Sorry i didn't read whole thread if this is discussed.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I notice Macaw has emoji / emoticons. I think it displays a white rectangle when entered, but final messages are displayed properly, so perhaps there is a solution there...

Or what is the condition of the LuneOS SMS app?
    It's basic but functional (the LuneOS messaging app). I believe someone is working on it. Haven't tried sending an emoji to it.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/15/2015 at 11:15 AM.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I helped get emoji into Project Macaw.

Anyway! When looking at another issue I seem to be having with the SMS/MMS stuff, I noticed that my MacOS terminal app was displaying emoji characters in the command line through Novacom. So, this makes me a liar; but I will happily take it! So now I just need to figure out what is up between reading from the database and the messaging app, then transcode the emoji!
    Did you know:

Wouldn't adding a font file that is directed towards emoji into the fonts folder and defining it inside the messaging app work?
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    I don't think that will work as it appears as though webOS has trouble displaying utf16 double character codes. I have attempted that in Project Macaw but with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
    Wouldn't adding a font file that is directed towards emoji into the fonts folder and defining it inside the messaging app work?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    I don't think that will work as it appears as though webOS has trouble displaying utf16 double character codes. I have attempted that in Project Macaw but with no success.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I'm *hoping* but not promising, that I will be able to upgrade WebKit (somehow I think upgrading the WebKit in Luna is a crapshoot....) and get it to support this properly. We'll see..... First the browser anyway....

I know if dumps the right data when using ls-monitor. I was hoping to be able to snag that data, but I guess it gets to WebKit and gets clobbered. :/
    Did you know:

cbosdell and Andrew Hunt like this.
    Is there any update on this?
    I've no idea if this is relevant, but....
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...font-awesome-5 ?

I'm not really clear if emojis are a font or how svg fonts relate to the old TTF files... so maybe it's irrelevant.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12