webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Emoji Emoticon display in Messaging App?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 01/07/2013, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
Old 01/07/2013, 05:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

The DroidSansFallback.ttf is a great first step, actually!
Old 01/07/2013, 05:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 05:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
Yeah, definitely!

I had been looking at the email app, since it uses a richtext field with a shadow text field. I've got so much on my plate, but I am soooo tempted to whip up something this evening!
Old 01/07/2013, 05:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Oh, and did you see what i mean there? <em> = Emoji

I know that <em> is for emphasis, but we so often use <b>, <i>, and <u> that using specially marked <em> tags as emoticon containers wouldn't be a bad practice. If the copy event can be trapped (at least i know that webOS provides a clipboard API), we can just use x.innerText to grab plain text, and the font will be a good fallback...

And we don't even have to use a class attribute, we can define our own and later even standardize the tag's new use throughout the OS...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0