Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
    Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    The DroidSansFallback.ttf is a great first step, actually!
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Remy X: They are PNG images. The ones pretty much from MojoWhatsup.

One might be able to use a RichText field for displaying images (which might look nicer than fonts).
    Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Makes sense...But that would mean having to handle the text copy event, so that the HTML-formatted message doesn't make its way outside of the text box. If done in a smart way that would only mean stripping out repurposed <em> tags with a class name (CSS would apply width to the character and a background image)..

So anyway, i still think a system-wide Emoji font is necessary as a fallback, for the times when images either fail to kick in, or a plain text area is used
    Yeah, definitely!

I had been looking at the email app, since it uses a richtext field with a shadow text field. I've got so much on my plate, but I am soooo tempted to whip up something this evening!
    Did you know:

Remy X likes this.

Oh, and did you see what i mean there? <em> = Emoji

I know that <em> is for emphasis, but we so often use <b>, <i>, and <u> that using specially marked <em> tags as emoticon containers wouldn't be a bad practice. If the copy event can be trapped (at least i know that webOS provides a clipboard API), we can just use x.innerText to grab plain text, and the font will be a good fallback...

And we don't even have to use a class attribute, we can define our own and later even standardize the tag's new use throughout the OS...
    Years later.... I am reviving a dead thread (I like to live on the edge sometimes....) and looked at this again. For some reason, messages that I receive from friends that have emoji basically get their emoji replaced with the unicode character for error. This seems to be by the sms subsystem.... So, I guess I will have to hunt to see what in the subsystem deals with that... If possible, since we don't have the source for this.
    Did you know:

Years later.... I am reviving a dead thread (I like to live on the edge sometimes....) and looked at this again. For some reason, messages that I receive from friends that have emoji basically get their emoji replaced with the unicode character for error. This seems to be by the sms subsystem.... So, I guess I will have to hunt to see what in the subsystem deals with that... If possible, since we don't have the source for this.
    Isn't it similar to not having a font library for the emoji? I get the little rectangle too, like when something is typed in cyrillic or some language with its own characters. Can the emoji library be added like a font?

Sorry i didn't read whole thread if this is discussed.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I notice Macaw has emoji / emoticons. I think it displays a white rectangle when entered, but final messages are displayed properly, so perhaps there is a solution there...

Or what is the condition of the LuneOS SMS app?
    It's basic but functional (the LuneOS messaging app). I believe someone is working on it. Haven't tried sending an emoji to it.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/15/2015 at 10:15 AM.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I helped get emoji into Project Macaw.

Anyway! When looking at another issue I seem to be having with the SMS/MMS stuff, I noticed that my MacOS terminal app was displaying emoji characters in the command line through Novacom. So, this makes me a liar; but I will happily take it! So now I just need to figure out what is up between reading from the database and the messaging app, then transcode the emoji!
    Did you know:

Wouldn't adding a font file that is directed towards emoji into the fonts folder and defining it inside the messaging app work?
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    I don't think that will work as it appears as though webOS has trouble displaying utf16 double character codes. I have attempted that in Project Macaw but with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
    Wouldn't adding a font file that is directed towards emoji into the fonts folder and defining it inside the messaging app work?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    I don't think that will work as it appears as though webOS has trouble displaying utf16 double character codes. I have attempted that in Project Macaw but with no success.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I'm *hoping* but not promising, that I will be able to upgrade WebKit (somehow I think upgrading the WebKit in Luna is a crapshoot....) and get it to support this properly. We'll see..... First the browser anyway....

I know if dumps the right data when using ls-monitor. I was hoping to be able to snag that data, but I guess it gets to WebKit and gets clobbered. :/
    Did you know:

cbosdell and Andrew Hunt like this.
    Is there any update on this?
    I've no idea if this is relevant, but....
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...font-awesome-5 ?

I'm not really clear if emojis are a font or how svg fonts relate to the old TTF files... so maybe it's irrelevant.
    Hello I've read this whole thread I was trying to find a patch or something to enable incoming emoticons that are not displaying from non webos phones as well, and could only find threads on how to insert a smiley on the palm phone instead until I found this one.
    I realize it's long since but can someone let me know if this has ever been done?
    I had a palm pixi for nearly ten years and that's always driven me crazy, now just been using a pre3 for about a week, installed preware for the first time and trying to learn all I can about it.
    Please help me understand if there is a way to do this yet. I have other questions as well about available material in preware but trying hard to search forums first to not offend those who have already posted, and many thanks go to all who have cared enough about webos and being kind to each other in sharing their wealth of information and experience.
    I would also love to know if there's been any updates on this issue. I can offer one little tidbit that may help those who know much more than I reach this goal. If I forward a received SMS that has emojis (is emojii plural? ) rendered with the UTF error boxes to another phone that does render them (a friend's iphone) they do show properly in the forwarded message. That should at least mean that, even though the messaging app can't decipher them, it at least doesn't ditch them, and can retain the codes properly. HTH!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the pre3, meca! I second your sending thanks and props to all those who continue to keep the best mobile OS ever created alive! In addition to preware, I can tell you there are a couple of projects out there that have acquired and made available tons (several GBs, at least) of the old apps from the catalog. Google webos abandonware and you should find them!

Long Live LuneOS!!!
    perhaps this is way off, but doesn't this app exist that allows webOS users to use emoticons in their texts and such? If someone has a copy of the program saved from back in the day of course... but I kind of assume that it's in the big 6000+ list that is floating around.
    mmm that one is a paid app... don't think it was downloaded unless someone purchased it.
    I think we may need someone to do a search in the bigger repository for the apps of this developer... if they are missing, we should contact him to ask if releasing them is an option
    I believe that app just creates an image using the text and emoticons and then just sends an MMS?
    Did you know:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12