webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > HERE - Nokia maps on webOS
HERE - Nokia maps on webOS
Like Tree16Likes
  • 9 Post By 72ka
  • 2 Post By jcmarcos
  • 2 Post By 72ka
  • 1 Post By 72ka
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  • 1 Post By 72ka

Old 11/16/2012, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,
Nokia launched their maps HERE focused to any mobile platform. But webOS browser doesn´t allow user interactions with the map. I made after lunch break a very very simple app just web container for it. It allows all the user interactions.

The project site is here: https://github.com/72ka/here

Manual download: https://github.com/72ka/here/downloads

The app is submitted to Preware, wait for it...

I´m looking forward to next year, because Nokia plans to release API for their maps, and it sounds nice for me (to make a native webOS or openWebOS app)! Their maps are already fast on my Pre3 and the databse of places is very good.

Last edited by 72ka; 11/16/2012 at 02:12 AM.
72ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, xandros9, OldSkoolVWLover and 6 others like this.
Old 11/16/2012, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
Hi,
Nokia launched their maps HERE focused to any mobile platform. But webOS browser doesn´t allow user interactions with the map. I made after lunch break a very very simple app just web container for it. It allows all the user interactions.
How nice! As it's still not available in my Preware client (which feed is it in?), I installed it from github. Pretty nice, but no button works for me, just the search field.

Quote:
I´m looking forward to next year, because Nokia plans to release API for their maps, and it sounds nice for me (to make a native webOS or openWebOS app)! Their maps are already fast on my Pre3 and the databse of places is very good.
Yes, Nokia owns Navtek, and they are considered the best map vendors of them all. I've already seen some articles about how they work, and it's impressive!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

alternatives are always great - and you have the whole "that's what we like"-featurelist in your gmaps app. So looking forward.

and wow just installed on Pre2 - that is what i call buttery smooth. but the "view" - "my place" buttons are a bit cut off, when notification area has items. yeah yeah i know 0.0.1.

Has a great database for germany - seems to be nearly on par with google maps (perhaps both use "Gelbe Seiten" as provider). But it seems google also has crowd sourced entries ("This is an unconfirmed record"), which is also possible at nokia but you need the crowd therefore.
Old 11/16/2012, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
alternatives are always great - and you have the whole "that's what we like"-featurelist in your gmaps app. So looking forward.
It already has an advantage: I can actually read street names, which are minuscle in Homebrew Google Maps (I know it's because Jan can't reliably use the 1.5 zoom factor the Pre3 needs).

Quote:
that is what i call buttery smooth. but the "view" - "my place" buttons are a bit cut off, when notification area has items. yeah yeah i know 0.0.1.
Sure, pretty smooth. Previously, I said buttons didn't work for me, but they now do, on a second try. I also lost sight completely of those two buttons. They were cut off by the notification area previously, just like you.

In all, this HERE app not only shows Jan is a master. It also makes webOS shine as to how one can make a quick app that works pretty well on a mobile device, just by leveraging the now ubiquitous web services out there. I'll always say, webOS was a fantastic idea.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz and gizmo21 like this.
Old 11/16/2012, 04:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

As I said, the application is very simple, ordinary website container. Then I added icons. That´s all. I don´t deserve any compliments, I did it first for myself because I wanted to try how it works on webOS. Then I decided to offer everyone.

The map panning is really smoooooth... very nice. Google API v3 is in the panning on webOS far behind even with my improvements.... but still offer the best features for developers.
Old 11/16/2012, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

pre3, current location button does nothing (data on but not gps), everything else works great. also does not ask for webos location services permission so that maybe the cause/symptom of error
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
pre3, current location button does nothing (data on but not gps), everything else works great. also does not ask for webos location services permission so that maybe the cause/symptom of error
Works for me, but you have to turn the GPS on before the app start. Try it...
Old 11/16/2012, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

What is the minimum webOS version? All I get on my 1.4.5 Pre is a very brief splash image followed by a white background after the app loads. I thought it was because of GPS, but Google location did not fix it either.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Nevermind - I just looked at github and saw the known issues list.

I had to email myself the ipk, perhaps this is why it didn't show in Preware?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2012, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for your amazing work Jan

Best community ever, always say!

It's 2 AM here but I couldn't wait to do the news on italian community

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/16/2012 at 07:28 PM.
DMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 06:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

On my touchpad it only show top half of screen in both horizontal and vertical. No keyboard when press search. Can scroll map , but only + button visible. When press about it shows info only on left half of screen and no way to get back to map.
I just thought I try it and give some feed back. Always good to have more maps, hopefully one day location for southern hemisphere will work and not dump us in the Tasman Sea.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 06:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, you don't need this app. Just go to the m.here.net in your browser.

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Old 11/17/2012, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks 72ka, looks really good. Looking forward what you can do with the upcoming api.
Old 11/19/2012, 01:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
On my touchpad it only show top half of screen in both horizontal and vertical. No keyboard when press search. Can scroll map , but only + button visible. When press about it shows info only on left half of screen and no way to get back to map.
I just thought I try it and give some feed back. Always good to have more maps, hopefully one day location for southern hemisphere will work and not dump us in the Tasman Sea.
Lucky you, I'm dumped in the South Pacific Ocean :-O
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
On my Pre3, it asked "Allow Once / Allow Always / Don't Allow" and it had no trouble finding a GPS location.
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

from the first sight it seems your webcontainer-app is nearly on par with nokias own HERE map in iOS:
Nokias Karten-App für iOS verfügbar | heise online
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/20/2012, 10:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

The iOS app is HTML5 i.e, the app is a container. I'm waiting for this to pop up on Preware but the route taken for iOS bodes well; HTML5 apps are a dying breed due to speed, if Nokia has made a good stab at optimising for mobile it pays off for webOS users tenfold.
I did check out the icon on Github, will it be brought inline with official logo? I ask because quite frankly it's ugly, the aesthetic is Metro which on WP8 is fine but... for our beautifully graphical OS?
http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/061/...175x175-75.jpg

UPDATE:
Mozilla have released Firefox OS for developers to play with. Nokia are supplying the maps for it and the app will be 100% built upon web technology, great news for webOS? The download is a ZIP archive so easily explored but the "webapps" themselves... hopefully someone much more intelligent than me can extract maps.
Now that HERE is on Preware I've installed it and it works smoothly but, the button to the right of the search bar doesn't work on my up-to-date Pre3; it opens but then immediately closes -- seem to recall identical behaviour on m.here.com in the browser. Everything else appears to work as advertised.

Feature request, to use Google Services for location rather than GPS. No idea if that's possible but it'd be a good enhancement (Firefox OS's maps app locates via ISP so perhaps there's something in there?).
Thank you to 72ka, great job.

Last edited by tagscuderia; 11/21/2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: News of Firefox OS
tagscuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 02:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,
just to write some additions:

- because webOS 2.2.x is buggy in the touch events unavailability, you can´t scroll the menus, that´s sad
- best version for this app is webOS 2.1 - there works map panning, scrolling in menus
- if you have TouchPad, you don´t need this app, just go to m.here.net in your browser, looks like Touchpad browser is well supported
Thanked By: jcmarcos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0