Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is WebOS the future ecosystem for Web Apps?

As a new developer, I am interested in developing Web Apps. Would WebOS be the place to start to get ahead of the market, since there are fewer apps? Or would it be better to start developing on a more stable market such as Android or Apple?
    kataran likes this.
    I'm no pro, but I believe webOS's native app framework (Enyo) is very portable, runnable on a variety of platforms without needing excessive overhauls or porting.
    The market for apps isn't exactly bustling, considering the relative few of us still using our webOS gadgets. It really depends on your viewpoint though, since Android/iOS have larger markets
    Quote Originally Posted by SH1 Enterprise View Post
    Is WebOS the future ecosystem for Web Apps?

As a new developer, I am interested in developing Web Apps. Would WebOS be the place to start to get ahead of the market, since there are fewer apps? Or would it be better to start developing on a more stable market such as Android or Apple?
    The market is small, which is both a challenge and an opportunity. The challenge is that you have a smaller base to be able to sell to. The opportunity, though, is that there will be very little competition for your app and you'll have more freedom in defining your product. You also have a community hungry for products, so there's a very good chance that the vast majority of webOS users will be aware of and interested in what you're offering. On iOS or Android, your app could be easily overlooked.

That's a calculation you'll need to determine for yourself, though: will a fraction of a percent of the iOS/Android installed base seeing your app bring you more revenue than the majority of webOS users seeing it?
    IMHO, it helps to build your apps in a modular way that would allow one to reuse some code between platforms without wasting much time on rewrites. Because offering the same app across all platforms will mean more customer loyalty as people will follow you from one platform to another regardless of what hardware they will own next.

That said, WebOS is more of a labor of love at this point than anything. The user base is ever so slowly shrinking as people's phones and tablets get broken, until a new device comes to market (from LG?), but disregarding that, the Homebrew community here has built many apps that are quite fantastic IMHO, like the Google Maps replacement that was built when HP was forcing Bing maps down our throats.... [ yeah, consider this: the original GMaps were pretty good, the new Apple maps on the new iPhone are a half-baked turd, and the homebrew GMaps on WebOS just blow both of them out of the water...]

The OS does still hold a lot of promise, having better UI feel than any of the competition, but Palm was a little shy marketing it when they were around, and HP has really dropped the ball after buying Palm. All while Apple and Google pushed forward. We need a mass-manufactured device to carry on the legacy and really show the the world what WebOS means.

So, basically, if you have some spare time and want to invest in keeping WebOS alive in a big sense, then welcome ...If you are only looking for a quick buck, then the Apple and Android networks have a lot of subscribers. If someone like LG will bring WebOS devices back to the marketplace, then your answer is yes.

BTW, You are a rare bird, coming here just as the Big Two celebrate their "duopoly" over the marketplace. I wonder, is there something you see that others can't, or do you see what we see? The cards, the genius of gestures... I don't know, but it just made me smile and do a double-take of the post date. May there be more of us. Have a good day
  5.    #5  
    As a new developer, it would make sense to start developing apps in a market that is small and has huge potential. After hours of researching alternative ecosystems other than Google and Apple, I came across of WebOS. The way I see it, creating apps in this ecosystem will be a huge advantage and will bring about opportunities that would be non existent in Google or Apple's ecosystem. Your new apps created in their ecosystem could be easily overlooked because of all the apps it currently has. Developers create apps out of passion and in return want to make money. As of now, I find huge opportunities to create Apps for WebOS. It just takes one great app to draw in a huge number of people. For example, Angry Birds. Your new apps on WebOS can easily stand out because of the lower number of apps the ecosystem has. If WebOS explodes and becomes popular, you are at an even greater advantage.
    Last edited by SH1 Enterprise; 10/25/2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Remy X and fxspec06 like this.
    Make apps that everybody wants with little competition. For example if you made a youmail client you would have zero competition and its almost a must have these days
    kataran and fxspec06 like this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Make apps that everybody wants with little competition. For example if you made a youmail client you would have zero competition and its almost a must have these days
    Exactly, that's my point. If you start out having little to no competition, for example (youmail) everyone would use youmail. Then when WebOS gains more popularity and more people use it, youmail would be the app of choice since there's no competition. Eventually competition comes along, but you will be a better advantage over the newer competition.
    Last edited by SH1 Enterprise; 10/25/2012 at 11:55 PM.
  8.    #8  
    There's a demand for apps in WebOS, but the supply is low. In Google and Apple's ecosystem there is too much supply and little demand. Which ecosystem has the greater potential? WebOS in the long term, if it eventually becomes popular and grows in user base.
    If you're an individual developer, don't expect to make enough to live on writing for webOS at this point in time, there's just not enough users left, unless your app has appeal to everyone, which would be a really nice surprise. The fact that there are still people buying my 3 apps still amazes me, as the number of people who have both webOS devices, and the services that my apps depend upon seems as it would be a very small number.. but, there's still some unit sales every month. More than I make from Android and RIM and Chrome combined, consistently. But not enough to live on. Which is why I got a real job

However, having become a webOS app developer has changed my life for the better many times over now.

(I was about broke as a joke, and had been for over a year, when I lucked into a couple of TouchPads during the fire sale, and now i make a pretty good living as a mobile systems contractor)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Hey, I like your attitude

It's refreshing to see someone who's betting on recovery while a number of other developers abandon their apps thinking WebOS is dead. This is enough for me to consider building something useful when i get my phone working again (whether it'll be in the App Store or not) and move beyond Chrome plugins

I wonder if, perhaps, we could analyse the most popular and highly acclaimed apps of the Apple and Android markets and sort of stake our claim of their "territory" with a good amount of their standard features, plus more... Something that Chinese knock-off manufacturers have done in their home market to the point that the "genuine" product is later perceived as the late-comer and imitator...

It might sound "evil", but i think it's worth doing, to populate the WebOS app store with a fair number of high quality "generic" apps that cover all bases this way the whole platform becomes more viable in the eyes of corporate executives and potential users... the "youmail" explanation fits perfectly, so i probably won't need to explain any further...

I've heard of many people becoming dependent on particular apps, so a migration helper of some sort might also be a good idea in the long run, even if we won't get any new WebOS users until a new device makes it to market...

Anyway, i better get some sleep now, my thoughts are getting all "blurry", but i hope you see what i mean with the high quality basics being derived from well-established competitors who would never bother coming to WebOS until it becomes big again...
    kataran likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SH1 Enterprise View Post
    Exactly, that's my point. If you start out having little to no competition, for example (youmail) everyone would use youmail. Then when WebOS gains more popularity and more people use it, youmail would be the app of choice since there's no competition. Eventually competition comes along, but you will be a better advantage over the newer competition.
    But according to the youview developer its not possible to make a youmail client anymore because the webos version of webkit is no longer compatible. Maybe he could see if there is another company that he could work with to deliver visual voicemail
  12.    #12  
    Kind of an off topic question. Is it possible to code HTML5, in enyo 2 on an android tablet instead of a laptop? The portability and more hands on a tablet form would make it easy to code on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hey, I like your attitude

I wonder if, perhaps, we could analyse the most popular and highly acclaimed apps of the Apple and Android markets and sort of stake our claim of their "territory" with a good amount of their standard features, plus more... Something that Chinese knock-off manufacturers have done in their home market to the point that the "genuine" product is later perceived as the late-comer and imitator...

It might sound "evil", but i think it's worth doing, to populate the WebOS app store with a fair number of high quality "generic" apps that cover all bases this way the whole platform becomes more viable in the eyes of corporate executives and potential users... the "youmail" explanation fits perfectly, so i probably won't need to explain any further...

I've heard of many people becoming dependent on particular apps, so a migration helper of some sort might also be a good idea in the long run, even if we won't get any new WebOS users until a new device makes it to market...
    Well, not trying to get myself involve into this matter for developing WebOS apps, but a popular application that I would like to see would be a Web-Browser application like Puffin browser or Photon web browser that would be really cool to see on WebOS.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Well, not trying to get myself involve into this matter for developing WebOS apps, but a popular application that I would like to see would be a Web-Browser application like Puffin browser or Photon web browser that would be really cool to see on WebOS.
    imho its the apps/solutions like ubuntuchroot/emulators/tidy and presentable homebrew that you dont and cant get on ifruit products that set webOS (and sometimes android) apart, but thats the geek/hobbyist/power user in me talking, plus i like a device that can do everything (which i cant have on any product out there atm) i want rather than carrying multiple devices around like i do atm to do different things.

honestly if webOS had netflix id never need any android/apple product ever again but unfortunatly thats out of our hands, easier solution is maybe just finding really good opensource programs and making them polished on webOS, theres always oodles of gems out there in among the masses.

thats an ideal world ofc, in a reality one, anythings probably fine as long as its not another twitter app or anything else that webOS already does really well with atm.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I'm no pro, but I believe webOS's native app framework (Enyo) is very portable, runnable on a variety of platforms without needing excessive overhauls or porting.
    Also as eblade elluded to, Chrome browser. Lots of the Enyo guys have gone multiplatform at this point. Lots of guides and tips and tricks out there in the Enyo forums for the tweeks needed when going from webOS to another OS.

An added bonus of learning and using Enyo is the webOS family, you will never find a more helpful close knit community of folks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    honestly if webOS had netflix id never need any android/apple product ever again but unfortunatly thats out of our hands, easier solution is maybe just finding really good opensource programs and making them polished on webOS, theres always oodles of gems out there in among the masses.

thats an ideal world ofc, in a reality one, anythings probably fine as long as its not another twitter app or anything else that webOS already does really well with atm.
    you looking for netflix on phones I'm guessing?

and LOL you just don't want another twitter app because you don't do twitter (IIRC)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    you looking for netflix on phones I'm guessing?

and LOL you just don't want another twitter app because you don't do twitter (IIRC)
    im not interesting enough to post, i use twitter apps as a 2nd source of news reader.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    im not interesting enough to post, i use twitter apps as a 2nd source of news reader.
    hahaha couldn't remember for sure... That's how I finally got sucked into twitter last summer (2011, with the launch of the Veer), was for keeping up on tech/webOS news, always swore I would never do twitter.... I now have over 13,300 tweets
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    hahaha couldn't remember for sure... That's how I finally got sucked into twitter last summer (2011, with the launch of the Veer), was for keeping up on tech/webOS news, always swore I would never do twitter.... I now have over 13,300 tweets
    im also resisting face(palm)book, thankfully im confident i dotn need it even as a 2nd source of news, given that all the news i find there is boring as hell. (unless theres crazy people who like to know, person ABC/XYZ is offering you some sheep in farmville etc)
    Remy X likes this.
    im also resisting face(palm)book, thankfully im confident i dotn need it even as a 2nd source of news, given that all the news i find there is boring as hell. (unless theres crazy people who like to know, person ABC/XYZ is offering you some sheep in farmville etc)
    Totally agree with you on that one. Facebook is only good for "tracking" other people and being a general creep . I've already freaked out two people when i messaged them on Facebook.... they thought they were invisible... one deleted his entire Facebook account, forever, and had a local newspaper pull the article that had the names of his family members. The other guy made his account invisible as in "fake delete" to the point that his friends and business associates started complaining... I mean "gee people, no need to #### your pants"

I guess we need a new saying... "Everything you say or do on Facebook can be used against you until and unless you delete it"

Back to the subject of apps, as a client-side web developer i can probably find workarounds for some of the stuff that people complain about as being outdated... the WebKit/HTML5 issues... I'm often knee deep in browser bugs as i work and i never take the specification as gospel... so i have a high tolerance for that stuff... if there's patience, there's an elegant workaround for almost everything...

So I'd love to bring full Google Image Search and Gmail to the TouchPad, if they don't already exist, now that we have Maps working thanks to 72ka
    geekpeter and cujoq37 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast