Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By dgdonovan
  1.    #1  
    On some of the newer phones in the market you have more than enough power to push WebOs as an application. Wouldn't that be theoretically possible? This would be a way around the CDMA problem (no drivers) and would also work in older builds of Android.

An app would have access to a lot of the drivers needed to have the OS run just fine. It also bears mentioning that just about any OS, including iOS would give access to basic OS functions to an app. For example, Google Voice on iOS has a dialer that sends the number to the iOS phone app.

Imagine this as parallels for iOS or Android.

What would be the limitations I am not considering?
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/05/2012 at 04:49 PM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I like the concept, not sure about real world execution though
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    pogeypre likes this.
    On some of the newer phones in the market you have more than enough power to push WebOs as an application. Wouldn't that be theoretically possible? This would be a way around the CDMA problem (no drivers) and would also work in older builds of Android.

An app would have access to a lot of the drivers needed to have the OS run just fine. It also bears mentioning that just about any OS, including iOS would give access to basic OS functions to an app. For example, Google Voice on iOS has a dialer that sends the number to the iOS phone app.

Imagine this as parallels for iOS or Android.

What would be the limitations I am not considering?
    There are nascent hypervisors for ARM processors. BYOD is driving corporate security's desire to firewall personal and business apps and data. We're 18 to 24 months from this being a really viable option. ARM server-oriented processors will lead the way. Cortex-A15 is supposed to implement hardware virtualization. We don't need 64-bit addressing for mobile devices ... yet.
    -
    Dan Donovan
    Dan Donovan
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.