1.    #1  
    Just a thought: would it be possible to create a bundle with a standalone firefox that runs through Xserver just like Xchat available in preware ?

With the touch scroll addon it would make a very good alternative to the stock browser while waiting for Isis.

If someone explains me how to do an ipk for it (or how xchat ipk in preware was done) I'd be glad to do it myself!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    yes someone already did so for chromium, tho doesn't seem to work for me now on 3.0.5, search for chromium xapp.

the prerequisite however for his was to have a working ubuntu/browser install which it borrowed from.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    Well, the idea was to have firefox without the hassle of installing a full ubuntu. But maybe is it not possible ?
    probably something similar to the ubuntu/debian chroots, a simple linux type affair like that with only firefox and its dependancies thrown in, this is ofc if your just using the normal linux firefox rather than a rebuilt native one for webOS.

not sure, youd need the expertise of people/devs who have tried similar themselves.

personally i just use a spare ubuntu chroot and only install firefox and change my /root/.bashrc to run firefox fullscreen, we have the choice of ubuntu 11.04, 11.10 and debian, use a spare 1 of those which you dont use for your fullblown ubuntu/linux to achieve what you want, all 3 co-exist on ext3fs sharing the HD space but dont interfere with each other.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/22/2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Well, the idea was to have firefox without the hassle of installing a full ubuntu. But maybe is it not possible ?
    also doesnt have to be a full ubuntu, just enough to have firefox running, trouble with it at all is for people who dont have ubuntu installed, it means they likely wont have an ext3fs partition which the XApps will require, tho even a loop mount would work instead of a proper partition.
  6.    #6  
    And how do you do for a keyboard ? You use bluetooth (which is quite restrictive) or onboard/florence ? Or stock with split screen ??

Also, whatever solution you use, how do find your system ?

I will try using just firefox started automatically by bashrc, but do I need other installs (like lightspark/gnash for flash, or dbus or anything like that) ?
    flash etc possibly yeah, gnash/lightspark (if they even work), keyboard is handled by XServer, just 3 finger tap the screen and bam, virtual keyboard on/off, bluetooth works fine as well.

not sure what you mean exactly by "how do i find my system"?
  8.    #8  
    also doesnt have to be a full ubuntu, just enough to have firefox running, trouble with it at all is for people who dont have ubuntu installed, it means they likely wont have an ext3fs partition which the XApps will require, tho even a loop mount would work instead of a proper partition.
    Your loop mount idea is interesting, though I have no idea how to set it up!

I have not the skills to create a special package with just light ubuntu and firefox, though I would love to see it in preware.

All in all, the question is: will somebody take time to do it ?

The ubuntuconf we can find on this forum for instance is no more maintained and doesn't work with 11.10
  9.    #9  
    flash etc possibly yeah, gnash/lightspark ([i]if they even work), keyboard is handled by XServer, just 3 finger tap the screen and bam, virtual keyboard on/off, bluetooth works fine as well.

not sure what you mean exactly by "how do i find my system"?
    I meant your setup^^

What do you mean by "3 finger tap" ? You can unsetup the stock keyboard while inside the chroot ?

EDIT: arf, I can't find the keyboard settings in Tweaks ? What could be wrong ??
    Last edited by grasshoper; 08/22/2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    I meant your setup^^

What do you mean by "3 finger tap" ? You can unsetup the stock keyboard while inside the chroot ?

EDIT: arf, I can't find the keyboard settings in Tweaks ? What could be wrong ??
    dont set teh keyboard up at all in tweaks, leave it on NONE for full screen ubuntu/xserver, now run 1 of the ubuntu's or xterm, and to test, just depress 3 fingers on the screen, the virtual keyboard should appear/dismiss every time you press 3 fingers on the screen.

if you actually want the keyboard onscreen permamantly, then yeah enable the keyboard in tweaks, pick XS, again rerun chroot or xterm, and HOLD down the keyboard dismiss icon far bottom right, and again pick XS, it should fit the black blank space perfectly.

keyboard settings for tweaks is in teh SYSTEM part.
    as for the script breaking in autoconfig for versions higher than 11.04 maybe a new one can be made or a simple how to for other versions, i have a nice stable XUbuntu on 11.10 using a badly made custom script, i could always try and tidy it up and make it useable as a start point before anyone installs watever that want.

something like "just" launching chromium or firefox, yeah could also do a brief rundown on that as well, ill add it as a mission for later incase someone far better at these thinsg doesnt manage it first.

i have XUbuntu from launching 11.10 chroot, firefox only from the 11.04 chroot and AROS running on the debian chroot, could do with a few more spare chroots added to executah \o/
  12.    #12  
    I have set up a XUbuntu tonight, with elementary theme and full touch firefox theme. The 3 finger trick is unbelievably awesome, and all seems stable.

I've set it up to lauch firefox automatically, but not lxde since I want to have a term only possibility (once in de, you cannot close it!)

The script from 11.04 was useful as it helped me setup a few things I didn't know. If you are will8mg to make a good bare bone script with only essentials and touch add ons for the community, you're welcome. It's always good to have things made quicker (I spent a good time on my actual config tonight!)

If you manage to create a firefox only install, do you think it could come with touch add-ons pre-installed? It would be best!

What is AROS btw ?