Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Shadowflank
  • 1 Post By Shadowflank
  • 1 Post By Shadowflank
  1.    #1  
    alright so currently we as webos users have quake and a basic sdl doom port working. What if I could bring you more than just basic doom gameplay? This is what I aim to do during my stay with webos. So doom players familiar with the three most common ports should know of Odamex, the only true open-source client/server port (as an added note, with up to 255 theoretical playerlimit).

The current roadmap for my activities are as followed:

1. Get odamex running clientwise within X11 natively on my Pixi
    2. Successfully test client capabilities on a semi-wide range of devices
    3. Successfully test server capabilities
    4. Implement a new launcher specifically for webos
    5. Phase Odamex into Preware for LTS

Some may be asking why I'm looking for the community for help, it is the same reason there's no love for Pixi's and gaming. Compatibility, along with the issue that although I wish I did, I don't know everything.

Main questions:

1. Is it possible to compile onboard a webos device (I have no pc atm)** as I type I'm setting this up
    2. If not, is there anyone interested in setting up dedicated nightly arm builds
    3. Any and all links/references to packaging for webos (not lazy, just limited)
    4. What is your input, community?

Will edit post as needed. For personal questions you see unfit for this thread, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Shadowflank; 08/17/2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    ArchonAdvisors and kevets like this.
  2.    #2  
    Update:

I have successfully built the master and server for odamex onboard my Pixi, but the client fails most likely due to sdl_mixer

Update 2:

Successfully patched odasrv allowing it to be run as root for webos purposes and recompiled. Client is built up to X11 dependancies; Waiting on a response to obtain the sources for the xserver package in preware.
    Last edited by Shadowflank; 08/18/2012 at 07:05 AM.
    --
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Update 3: Source completely builds and runs, however, I broke the xserver package transplanting includes it seems, so the client fails to init video

I also can't seem to debug doetz's xserver port at all either, any suggestions?
    --
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Nobody seemed to care so I've halted progress on a non-textmode client.

People view but don't reply with input, so my efforts are fairly pointless in my view.

Please feel free to prove me wrong, until then, meh.
    --
    It would be very cool to see this running on a Pixi. Have one wifi only. I can't help with the programming though.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    It would be very cool to see this running on a Pixi. Have one wifi only. I can't help with the programming though.
    It doesn't require anything extra and will currently run over data or wifi. Nobody seemed to care but everyone wanted to pop in here without any input.

I have made very little modifications to the source.

What device do you own?

Edit: the whole point of this was to inject more life into the port and get community interest in webos.

Really all I had to do was get it to compile and slap a 'compatible with webos' sticker on it. It compiles and runs, that's all they cared to know. It fully running is an added bonus for me and the webos community. Not to mention bragging rights for Odamex.

I really am compiling this onboard the lowest end webos device released as of yet, and a pat on the back comment would be nice guys, not just a skyrocketing viewcount.
    Last edited by Shadowflank; 08/31/2012 at 10:15 AM.
    --
    i dont know about others but ive personally never heard or used this odamex you mentioned, if we had maybe we'd have more input for you, perhaps when there is something for people to use/try we'd offer more input, the only "modern" revamp of doom ive ever known and stuck with was the doomsday ports for doom/heretic/hexen.

wouldnt mind this at all on webOS devices tho, had some fun times on it and running the old one through dosbox isnt exactly full of win.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i dont know about others but ive personally never heard or used this odamex you mentioned, if we had maybe we'd have more input for you, perhaps when there is something for people to use/try we'd offer more input, the only "modern" revamp of doom ive ever known and stuck with was the doomsday ports for doom/heretic/hexen.

wouldnt mind this at all on webOS devices tho, had some fun times on it and running the old one through dosbox isnt exactly full of win.
    If anyone /cared/ to know a simple google search or browsing the site couldve answered the questions

As if the title wasn't more of a giveaway.

Also mentioned that it was a client server doom port somewhere.

Please tell me what you ment by input because according to your description, you may have just as well shoved your foot in your mouth.

Really not trying to be an *** but it's hard when I've jumped through every hoop in the book to get this to run in a card via x11 and you come in to say 'well it's all your fault you didn't provide a word for word wikipedia article describing the port'. That's a bit unfair don't you think? How many views does this have, over a thousand? I can't tell on forums.

You mean to tell me that x number of viewers didn't once think to ask what this was in the thread?

Edit: as far as cross compatibility, I do not have the resources to produce binaries compatible with the touchpad, pre, etc. Only the pixi.

If anyone wants to donate resources onboard their devices or setup an xcompile env, feel free. Til then I know it runs on a pixi+.

For those interested in compiling software on their device and harnessing the full developer power of the linux system webos is built on, feel free to ask away. Nobody else is.

edit 2: for those that were too lazy to google it. http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=odamex
    Last edited by Shadowflank; 08/31/2012 at 11:39 AM.
    --
    thanks for your warm reply.

trying to give you any form of assistance is always going to be difficult, tbh I'm not surprised there's not many replies here, even if we did google what it is we'd only have a windows/linux/etc type build to examine, the windows variant, yeah I we could run but your version is touchscreen so there's a large difference when trying out the windows version as it would be different on yours being touchscreen driven, people would need to "feel" your version on touchscreen imho.

What you needed was a semi/partially working copy on preware, github download or in ipk format here so people could give you a proper response to your thread, this as you noticed is probably why you have a lot of views (personal guess) but people can't give you an opinion of your work on the information in your thread alone.

perhaps if you ask other devs who have ported classics like yourself for some help you may get the device assistance you require, I know that Shadson who made the Free Heroes 2, kindly made test versions of his touchpad port to try on the pre3/other devices and would give us a link from his dropbox account to test his build on our devices which he didn't own himself.

sorry you seem to have taken offense somewhere, I'm into is free, just a potential user of your final product, and as I said I have not used the port your basing this from and I can only give an opinion on something I've tried.

regading "input" that was a response to your own post above mine where you seemed to want "input" from people visiting the thread?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    thanks for your warm reply.

trying to give you any form of assistance is always going to be difficult, tbh I'm not surprised there's not many replies here, even if we did google what it is we'd only have a windows/linux/etc type build to examine, the windows variant, yeah I we could run but your version is touchscreen so there's a large difference when trying out the windows version as it would be different on yours being touchscreen driven, people would need to "feel" your version on touchscreen imho.

What you needed was a semi/partially working copy on preware, github download or in ipk format here so people could give you a proper response to your thread, this as you noticed is probably why you have a lot of views (personal guess) but people can't give you an opinion of your work on the information in your thread alone.

perhaps if you ask other devs who have ported classics like yourself for some help you may get the device assistance you require, I know that Shadson who made the Free Heroes 2, kindly made test versions of his touchpad port to try on the pre3/other devices and would give us a link from his dropbox account to test his build on our devices which he didn't own himself.

sorry you seem to have taken offense somewhere, I'm into is free, just a potential user of your final product, and as I said I have not used the port your basing this from and I can only give an opinion on something I've tried.

regading "input" that was a response to your own post above mine where you seemed to want "input" from people visiting the thread?
    This version is not touchscreen enabled at all. As I said before I have made little source code modifications. The whole point is not to make modifications.

However, when I compiled this on my n800, the touchscreen was enabled as a standard mouse input device. Regardless for this to be playable with a touchscreen properly, the input subsystem has to be revamped. This won't even be thought about until it runs with video output.

I'm also not rejecting any assistance from you or anyone else. None has been offered. Even my developer specific question threads have very little responses. And none of the creator(s) of the sdldoom and xserver ports responded to my PM's.

Odamex will not really function any different on webos other than the fact you might have touch.

That's it.

The main reason for trying the windows/linux/mac builds would be to see if you liked how Odamex plays. Each port feels different, as far as input and rendering. The three main ports that are client/server, which are still active today are ZDaemon, Skulltag, and Odamex. Some people love Odamex for it's gritty, unpolished feel. Others don't. Skulltag supports full 3D rendering with OpenGL, and is the only multiplayer port that does. ZDaemon is the most popular, but that being said, it's full of mostly snotty kids nowadays.

As for binaries, there were no 'this looks cool, looking forward to seeing this on webos fully supported' comments, why would I even bother to post binaries? I can only build armv6 (Pixi) binaries on a Pixi. There is simply not enough room for a xcompile environment onboard the device without external memory. I have no PC, so don't bother with 'use a computer then' sermons.
    --
  11.    #11  
    Update for anyone who's actually looking at this.

Ive managed to compile a working client, server, and master binary for odamex.

However there are a few roadblocks as to running it non-textmode.

• I cannot get an X11 application to run in dtzwill's X-Server in a Card implementation of X11 for webos.

• Ive pieced together several different trials trying to build SDL against the X11 for webos implementation; None resulted an X11 supported binary, however, i managed to compile aalib support in my last endevors. Never got around to testing if that video library was compatible for textmode-video to be working.

Some things preventing the 'port' to webos would be:

• Lack of knowledge about the X11 project, and no response from the original developer.

• 'True' touchscreen support. Presuming it uses the touchscreen as a regular trackpad, so gameplay may be difficult. Can probably be configured to run smoother. Keybinding should work as intended though, so it wouldnt be too bad.

• Time.

If anyone wishes to help contribute to bringing this to webos, it can be easily built for different devices if it works on a lowly Pixi+, which compiled a binary from webos itself. I have no experience with the internals of beyond 1.4.5.

Cheers.
    --