Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zane9000
  • 1 Post By hagster
  • 1 Post By saltsaint
  1. saltsaint's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello everybody,
    I'm involved in a small project with my coleagues, that aims to controll an electrical motor - 12V - using the TouchPad.
    Because I do not know if such a thing is possible, the first think that I kindly want to ask is if such a thing is realistic.

    If yes, here is the brief description of the project:
    - we want to controll the speed of the motor via webOS interface
    - set the working hours (i.e. from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and within this schedule, set the number of minutes when the motor is working or not (i.e. work 3 minutes, rest 2 minutes)
    Basically, the TouchPad will serve as interface to controll the behaviour of the small motor.

    Please be so kind and understand our limited knowledge in programing software - we are students in an engineering University - and for this reason probably we will need basic explanations before anything.
    Thank you
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 10/01/2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: thread title fixed :)
  2. #2  
    You'd need some kind of controller for the motor... if that is controllable via serial port communication, you can plug it into a bluetooth adapter and create a virtual serial port link to the touchpad.
    On the touchpad you can then write an app that send command via the serial port to the motor, via this api: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html

    I hope that helps you...

    If you have that setup, then JavaScript and HTML knowledge will be sufficient... the Enyo framework for the touchpad is REALLY easy to learn and a pleasure to use.
    There was somebody around in the developer forums that used touchpads (and bluetooth serial port protocol) to controll lego mindstorm things. So it is possible.
  3. saltsaint's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks a lot for your kind reply!

    We didn't consider the ideea with bluetooth because adaptor because there are literally no money for this project - all we got is a TouchPad donated by a mercyful soul.

    So, to complete my question, would it be possible to connect directly the TP to the motor and controll it? – one of my coleagues has already started to work to build an app.
    Thank you
  4. #4  
    Sorry, I don't have an idea... you could try with some usb<->serial adapters. Look for the how to that explains how to mount external drives on the touchpad. They also explain what USB hub to connect to the touchpad and how. Maybe the drivers are in the kernel, maybe not... but completely without some additional hardware, it's problematic, I guess.
  5. #5  
    I wonder if you would be able to connect an audio cable to an amplifier and drive the motor with that... You could either build something yourself, or *maybe* get an off-the-shelf stereo amp with proper power/impedance to work.

    As Garfonso said, you will need some sort of additional hardware, but hopefully the cost would be minimal.

    The speed would be controlled by sending a pulse-width-modulation signal over the audio line to the amp and motor.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    I wonder if you would be able to connect an audio cable to an amplifier and drive the motor with that... You could either build something yourself, or *maybe* get an off-the-shelf stereo amp with proper power/impedance to work.

    As Garfonso said, you will need some sort of additional hardware, but hopefully the cost would be minimal.

    The speed would be controlled by sending a pulse-width-modulation signal over the audio line to the amp and motor.
    Sounds plausible. I doubt you could output a steady PWN signal straight from the audio port as I expect it has a DC -Block (High-pass filter) on the output. What you could do is pulse a tone and use a rectifier circuit(diode) with some smoothing(resistor/capacitor) and a threshold circuit (Schmitt trigger gate) and a driver transistor.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  7. saltsaint's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Sounds plausible. I doubt you could output a steady PWN signal straight from the audio port as I expect it has a DC -Block (High-pass filter) on the output. What you could do is pulse a tone and use a rectifier circuit(diode) with some smoothing(resistor/capacitor) and a threshold circuit (Schmitt trigger gate) and a driver transistor.
    Thank you for your responses.
    Our small project has become to be much more than it was supposed to be since a company has the ideea to use it in commercial ways.

    First good news is that they are willing to use webOS instead of Android to be the "interface" with their clients in a new device that will be build.

    Second, this company is willing to port webOS to arm-boards like Raspberry Pi and simmilar so that the integration with their appliance to be more fesable financial terms.

    Since we are not prepared to handle such a task, is it possible to tell me who may be able/willing to start discussions with the company regarding this project? Me and my coleagues will be part only in the mechanical engineering part of the project so I will only pass the contact to the managers of that company for all the details.
    GreenHex likes this.
  8. #8  
    Did you read the article about the company that compiled open webos for the Raspberry Pi? Maybe you can contact them... now with the release of open webos 1.0 it should also have a GUI.
  9. saltsaint's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Did you read the article about the company that compiled open webos for the Raspberry Pi? Maybe you can contact them... now with the release of open webos 1.0 it should also have a GUI.
    Thanks for telling me about this!
    Can you please give me a link to that company what I found was just a post on YouTube
  10. #10  
    Here is the link to the story on webosnation: Open webOS ported to Raspberry Pi single-board computer, still needs a UI | webOS Nation

    And it seems that I got something wrong here.. there was no company behind that, but "just" some developer, sorry for that.

    But it should be "easy" for the company you talk about to port open webos 1.0, the open embedded version, to the Raspberry PI, shouldn't it?
  11. saltsaint's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Here is the link to the story on webosnation: Open webOS ported to Raspberry Pi single-board computer, still needs a UI | webOS Nation

    And it seems that I got something wrong here.. there was no company behind that, but "just" some developer, sorry for that.

    But it should be "easy" for the company you talk about to port open webos 1.0, the open embedded version, to the Raspberry PI, shouldn't it?
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

Posting Permissions