Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By greenoyster
  1.    #1  
    Hi

I am out of the dev world for a spell (a big spell, like, about 10 years+) but I had some short bouts with JavaScript (mainly creating little Webapps with OpenLayers) lately, so please forgive me if my question sounds dumb:

Why would someone take Enyo instead of Phonegap to develop cross platform?
    I wuld like to hear viable arguments, because I have a collegue who uses Phonegap and I tried to introduce hin to Enyo. He was like: "why would I change?"...

So I am routing this question here to this forum.
    TIA for any answers!
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Phonegap is not a Javascript framework. It's a platform for running web apps inside of a native iOS (Objective C) app, Android (Java) app, webOS, and other systems, without needing to write your own platform-specific code.

Phonegap alone is just plain Javascript and HTML with some hooks that let you access system resources.

Enyo doesn't replace Phonegap. You use Enyo on top of Phonegap so you can write your app using reusable widgets (called components in Enyo) instead of raw HTML.

Enyo is basically a widget library along the lines of YUI, Dojo, or JQuery UI in the desktop world. But it's optimized for mobile/touch interfaces, unlike most desktop Javascript frameworks, so it's more like JQuery Mobile or Sencha Touch in that respect.
    spud101 and fxspec06 like this.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for that.

The point is, my friend uses JQuery and all the other stuff together with Phonegap and when I asked him if he would be interested in using Enyo2, he asked like: "why would I do that? What does it make better for me?"
    And there I was, stumbling for answers
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Enyo has a very nice, clean, object oriented structure. It really is fun developing apps in enyo.
    Your friend should risk a look... of course he needs to learn enyo, but it's much more fun than jquery mobile in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Enyo has a very nice, clean, object oriented structure. It really is fun developing apps in enyo.
    Your friend should risk a look... of course he needs to learn enyo, but it's much more fun than jquery mobile in my eyes.
    Agreed. Having done both jquery mobile and enyo I would say developers should try both and see what suits their coding style. Being an object oriented programmer I prefer enyo, especially for tablet apps. As already mentioned either works fine with phonegap. The jquery advantage is the plethora of shared knowledge out there while enyo results in more elegant code (IMHO).
    Enyo also has quite a nice library of layout and UI components that comes with it, as well as the community gallery of additional stuff. I don't know what JQM has available as far as that goes, but looking at jQuery code makes me think of Perl, which makes me think "omg not going there".
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: