Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By fuzzy gizmo
  1.    #1  
    I have a few apps in the catalog but I haven't touched them since like March. I noticed that when I would send an update out for my apps they would get a good jump in sales for a few days. I personally think thats because of the "new" tab in the catalog and people see the app and buy it. From November to January I did a lot of development and was constantly updating things. I did pretty well in sales those months. That was right after webOS "died."

Anyways, I was wondering how the market is now. I was thinking of starting to develop again and was wondering if I should continue where I left off or if I should move to iOS or Android. What do you guys think? Will I still get some decent sales in webOS?
    That depends on one's definition of "decent"

Do an Enyo app and deploy on all the platforms!
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    The problem with Android and iOS is that there are so many apps that most devs sell peanuts there. On the other hand even though webOS "is dying" the community keeps supporting the devs that are still around. Good quality apps will get bought still, maybe less compared to 6 months ago, but you can still make some fair money imho.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The problem with Android and iOS is that there are so many apps that most devs sell peanuts there. On the other hand even though webOS "is dying" the community keeps supporting the devs that are still around. Good quality apps will get bought still, maybe less compared to 6 months ago, but you can still make some fair money imho.
    Yeah that was my whole reasoning for choosing webOS in the first place. Making an app for iOS is literally like throwing a needle in a haystack. Nobody is going to find it. At least with webOS the apps are easily found. I think i'll continue with webOS. At least for a bit. I'll see how it goes. Thanks guys.
    There's a reason why many devs have decided to drop support for webOS apps. Keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    There's a reason why many devs have decided to drop support for webOS apps. Keep that in mind.
    I would love to understand why a developer leaves their application in limbo...

If one makes a good application people will buy it, if I paid for it I expect some level of support.

I get money makes the world go round. But at the cost of the users?

IMHO, this is the problem with webOS, or any mobile OS, developers should keep supporting their applications for a specified time (how long is up to the developer), stated in the application end user then knows what to expect. But some developers promise updates but then never deliver.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/17/2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Most big companies left webOS. They are selling by the number and they can afford the marketing to make their apps popular on the other platforms... also if there are 100 apps that do the same, if there still are 100 times as many people buying apps, you will make the same amount of money (if your app is not by far worse than the other 99 ). If you believe in some of the numbers, then there might be much more people around on other platforms than on webOS... that will make a difference, even for apps that get found by only 0.001% of the customers on other platforms, because there are soo many similar apps there.

I pay respect to every developer who still is on webOS and tries to earn some money... but I doubt that many of them can live from webOS. I believe most apps that are still supported (i.e. with continued development) on webOS to be hobby projects.
    it woudl help all app catalogues/markets if the app store in question was more advanced and let you find what you need more easily with better ways to thin the crowd.

Or in googles case to stop being biased towards certain apps, never will understand how a "top paid" app could get to the top of the list after a day or 2 of being made available when older ones have been earning cash for far longer and surely are the real "top paid" etc.

dont think ive used a catalogue/store on any device that was easy/simple/friendly to use and doesnt force a ton of garbage in your face your not interested in.

we all need better filters/search abilities tbh, on all platforms.
    "How are sales nowadays?"

would you like some peanuts?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06