Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jake_M
  • 1 Post By spork141
  • 1 Post By carguy303
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering if any devs here can help a new webOS dev with a quick question. I've been trying to read up on the webOS SDK and figure out how to write my first webOS app. Issue is the webOS Enyo tutorial starts rambling on about the intricacies of webOS and how it uses javascript. I was just looking to start with getting a simple "hello world" working on my touchpad before I get into specifics (not a complex reader app). Issue is the tutorial for "hello world" is all Mojo.

Any advise for a new dev? Thanks!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Do you plan on doing Enyo 1 or 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  3.    #3  
    Oh boy..didn't think of that. Ultimately I want this to run on current touchpad first. And then do what I must for Pre3 and then Pre2. Anything involving future of webOS will come later.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    Oh boy..didn't think of that. Ultimately I want this to run on current touchpad first. And then do what I must for Pre3 and then Pre2. Anything involving future of webOS will come later.

Does that help?

Well Enyo 2 will run on anything(that's the idea, at least). It's still in beta but I would probably say it's safest going with Enyo 2 forward. Open WebOS will be out in 2 months and we don't know everything it will support.

I'll let you decide, Enyo 2 examples are on the frontpage here: Enyo JavaScript Application Framework

If you need help, PM me your email address and I'll write a thorough walkthrough.

Good luck!
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Vistaus likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks so much Jakeee! I'll take a read and let you know if I have any questions! Thanks again!

Jake_M likes this.
    Don't forget to come over to developer.palm.com , too, the forums there are turning into a ghost town, which doesn't look good!
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7.    #7  
    yeah man.... defiantly...i just book marked it. Luckily im startin app development for the fun of it (not for money). I choose webos because my apps are gonna target just type and exhibition features....both of those features are awesome, underutilized, and aren't available anywhere else. Sucks to hear most Devs have jumped ship....but that will only help my app get more exposure!

THanks alot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Well Enyo 2 will run on anything(that's the idea, at least). It's still in beta but I would probably say it's safest going with Enyo 2 forward. Open WebOS will be out in 2 months and we don't know everything it will support.

I'll let you decide, Enyo 2 examples are on the frontpage here: Enyo JavaScript Application Framework

If you need help, PM me your email address and I'll write a thorough walkthrough.

Good luck!
    Jake if you ever make that tutorial, I would absolutely love to get it too
    Jake_M likes this.
    I went ahead and wrote it up, just in case you're interested. (PM me your email and I'll send it to you)