Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PalmPixi_User23
  1.    #1  
    No more than ever, I'm been more encouraged to start this new campaign: "Create An App" -- for the falling WebOS platform that was perfectly ruined at the hands of HP bureaucracy and lack of sense in innovation. Reading today the sad article at "The Verge", and seeing the efforts of "buy an app"campaign from the MDsmartphone WebOS nation poster.....Today, finally joined the SDK development efforts even a rocky(like myself) without no knowledge for app coding but with a strong passion for the WebOS platform and strong hopes that it could somehow make a comeback.

    My intent for this purpose is to slowly revamp again the developments efforts of WebOS which I've noticed a slow staggering death since those guilty at HP cancelled the entire WebOS hardware. And seeing company, not care anymore for WebOS, I want to embark in a mission to create apps to be distributed for the HP Catalog. I already exhausted my efforts of contacting several companies like Spotify, Pandora, CloudOn, LiveOn, Dolphin Browsers, among other decent companies who only care about the Apple and Google. So, I only left myself with one option if I wanted a decent app to start building myself...

    So I only beg of you...anyone out there that has been thinking in building application but with their busy lives haven't gotten to it, please join the efforts and start programming again apps for WebOS. It's just until we could get through this rough patch we going through with WebOS.....

    My future projects for apps(tough road head, but I hope i could do it):

    -- Decent browser for the HP TouchPad
    -- A messenger application that also works in the notification(bar) area.
    -- An Spotify app like Apollo application for the HP TouchPad.
    -- More text editing programs for the HP TouchPad.
    -- Voice Dictation for the HP TouchPad
    --More....

    Also, I seen some good developers on these forums that I wish that could join forces with them.....I think that if we placed our thinking caps together, good applications could be created out of this great community.

    I don't know if I'm settings my expectations too high(with these kinds of applications), but I just hope that someday developers could get on board with WebOS again like they do with Apple/Google tablets.


    LONG LIVE THE WEBOS !!!!!!!!
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    johnnygewitter likes this.
  2. matchqq's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #2  
    Isn't today Buy An App Day already? Is it necessary to cram two similar campaigns on the same day?......

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    Isn't today Buy An App Day already? Is it necessary to cram two similar campaigns on the same day?......

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I don't think he intends to write an app in a day. The thread title looks a little botched.
  4.    #4  
    I downloaded the SDK on my computer and started on my plans for apps development, up to this moment everything to me seems confusing(Meaning, on the app development department) like if it was in a foreign language which I don't easily understand it. Anyways, I'm so excited to jump on board with this project(already), hopefully I could get some apps out there soon.


    Anyways, I wanted to know from expert developers out there in WebOS Nation(forums), is there a way to extract the codes from the stock browser in the WebOS 3.0. using emulator or something. I think that it would be easier to start from extracting all the codes from it, and from there begin to built my browser by modifying a bit of codes within the program to improve the experience like making the pages render faster and tab support. Is that possible to take the codes from the application web browser ?
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 06/08/2012 at 01:04 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  5. #5  
    If there was drag-and-drop method of making an app, and the required data was table-based (like an Access database), I would be all over it. WebOS App Builder is intriguing, and I have tossed around the idea of making a FlyLady App with it.

    I just simply don't have the time or desire to learn how to code, but I've got some simple ideas for apps.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I downloaded the SDK on my computer and started on my plans for apps development, up to this moment everything to me seems confusing(Meaning, on the app development department) like if it was in a foreign language which I don't easily understand it. Anyways, I'm so excited to jump on board with this project(already), hopefully I could get some apps out there soon.


    Anyways, I wanted to know from expert developers out there in WebOS Nation(forums), is there a way to extract the codes from the stock browser in the WebOS 3.0. using emulator or something. I think that it would be easier to start from extracting all the codes from it, and from there begin to built my browser by modifying a bit of codes within the program to improve the experience like making the pages render faster and tab support. Is that possible to take the codes from the application web browser ?
    You can download a webOS Doctor and extract it (rename to .zip if necessary) - there'll be another one or two archives to extract - then you can poke around in there and look at code. You'll find something here: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser. You can also extract ipk files to look at code.
    I do not want to discourage you, but "making the pages render faster" is not something that can be done just like that, especially since webkit is so deeply integrated. If you're just starting developing, you might want to go for lower hanging fruits first - again not to discourage you, rather to save you from frustration
    If you haven't already, have a look at developer.palm.com there are tutorials and a forum and reference and stuff like that. The SDK also contains example code.
    Good luck
  7. #7  
    If you looked through the SDK, you'd discover that the code for the browser, as well as sevral other apps, are included in it.

    For drag-drop-app-making, check out Ares, although the currently hosted version is more for Mojo. And considering that the web is the core of the entire system, no, you're not going to make it any faster by changing a few bits of code. The web browser app is merely the controls around the outside of the web browser.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If you looked through the SDK, you'd discover that the code for the browser, as well as sevral other apps, are included in it.

    For drag-drop-app-making, check out Ares, although the currently hosted version is more for Mojo. And considering that the web is the core of the entire system, no, you're not going to make it any faster by changing a few bits of code. The web browser app is merely the controls around the outside of the web browser.
    Haha I feel stupid now. Yes it's in the SDK no need to extract anything
  9. #9  
    The openWebOS team are hard at work compiling a browser on QT, supposed to be faster but we'll need to wait until they release the beta (Aug?) to test it out.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks a lot eblade and johnnygewitter, for all your advise I'm slowly exploring my way out of the SDK which its not such easy tool to use in the way to develop things for WebOS. Well, I can't complain when users(like myself) not even know what CSS or HTML would mean when it comes to developing/coding apps. But will try to hammer things down throughout the weekend to see if I could make a better kinda browser than what HP Catalog offers at the current moment.

    Anyways, what were you trying to say that trying to modify things won't do anything since the WebOS its deeply integrated into the web browser ? Well, I know that the WebOS platform its made out of technologies used from the web, not seeing that the web browser will be so deeply rooted together than trying to change something from the codes won't have any effects ?


    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The openWebOS team are hard at work compiling a browser on QT, supposed to be faster but we'll need to wait until they release the beta (Aug?) to test it out.
    yeah, I heard that with the Isis engine which to me seems like its so far away from any sort of completion out of the WebOS Team. So many times I heard of coming soon on WebOS that sometimes people just get tired of unfulfilled promises and want to take things into their own hands to fix things out of the broken links that still not being fixed in WebOS.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  11. #11  
    You can indeed take the Browser source code, modify and make a better app out of it. That's basically what Advanced Browser is.

    There are a handful of different browser engines (the part of a browser that actually interprets and renders the pages), for example webkit (Chrome, Safari), Gecko (Firefox), Internet Explorer's and Opera's (forgot their names) and also different JavaScript engines (V8 or Nitro for example), which interpret and run the JSJSJS $code$.

    webOS uses customized versions of webkit and v8 and they're not there to just run the browser, they run every webOS app (well except PDK apps) and that's why they're so deeply integrated. They are not just another app (i.e. the browser), they are (a huge) part of the OS itself.

    So if you want to make pages render faster, as you said, you'd either have to work on the webkit and v8 versions inside webOS or you can port another browser or jsjsjs $engine$ $to$ $webos$ $to$ $build$ $a$ $new$ $browser$, $but$ $that$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $very$ $difficult$ $project$, $as$ $in$ $it$ $would$ $take$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $time$ $and$ $experience$.

    I hope I don't sound condescending - but optimizing the browser's speed is not a beginner's task if you ask me. But as I said you can of course modify the browser app's code and add features and so on!

    Cheers
  12. #12  
    How about someone looks again into pre fox? Or into the new browser that Mozilla announced for the iPhone. Given that
    a) Firefox is open source
    b) there is a tutorial on how to convert an app from iPhone to webOS PDK
    that might be a feasible way to go.

    With changes to the current browser you mostly can add some functionality (like storing passwords, maybe?) or do cosmetic changes... the render engine will stay the same. And that is quite borked up for some webpages, sadly.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    How about someone looks again into pre fox? Or into the new browser that Mozilla announced for the iPhone. Given that
    a) Firefox is open source
    b) there is a tutorial on how to convert an app from iPhone to webOS PDK
    that might be a feasible way to go.

    With changes to the current browser you mostly can add some functionality (like storing passwords, maybe?) or do cosmetic changes... the render engine will stay the same. And that is quite borked up for some webpages, sadly.
    While that seems like a nice idea, but what I would like to do it would be for a way to increase the speed of the way the browser render pages. Wish there was a way to grab those rendering agents of other mobile browsers apps(Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) and trying to incorporate it into the TouchPad browser. But don't know if that might be somehow possible ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    While that seems like a nice idea, but what I would like to do it would be for a way to increase the speed of the way the browser render pages. Wish there was a way to grab those rendering agents of other mobile browsers apps(Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) and trying to incorporate it into the TouchPad browser. But don't know if that might be somehow possible ?
    That's what I meant with "look into Pre Fox or the firefox version for iPhone/iPad"... That would be the easiest way to really get another rendering engine onto webOs (appart from QTWebKit that will come with Open webOS).

    But you can't really stuff another rendering engine into the stock browser.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    That's what I meant with "look into Pre Fox or the firefox version for iPhone/iPad"... That would be the easiest way to really get another rendering engine onto webOs (appart from QTWebKit that will come with Open webOS).

    But you can't really stuff another rendering engine into the stock browser.
    You mean using the Gecko engine from Mozilla ? This is the link that I found, from their project on this new allege browser engine: Gecko Project.

    And one more question, what you mean you can't post another rendering engine in top of another, so basically you have to stay with the same engine that WebOS uses ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  16. #16  
    I'm not writing my own application, however, I am trying to bring something to webos that nobody has (that I'm aware of) ever attempted to do before.

    If successful, it could breathe much needed life into the port and webos.

    For those interested in what I'm working on, look for a post shortly in the parent dev forum.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!

Posting Permissions