Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is a thread I am preserving for the technical discussion and effort of porting several Messaging Clients to webOS. For now, the discussion will revolve around WhatsApp.

Coming Soon!

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I hope this comes to fruition. Whatsapp on webos would be amazing.

A few articles I've found concerning this (might be of help, posted these elsewhere earlier but seems like this is a good place to repost them):
    UI Design-wise: Implementing Whatsapp on webOS phones Technology Matters
    API-wise (unofficial, but since there is no official, better than nothing): WhatsApp for other platforms (API) - xda-developers

Anyway, excited to see what comes of this.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Yeah, everyone keeps pointing to that thread. Summary of that thread:

HAI GUYS I HAVE MADE A FULLY FUNCTIONAL WHATSAPP API THAT ANYONE WILL BE ABLE TO INTEGRATE INTO ANYTHING.

*5 pages of great, awesome, you rock, etc*

I'LL SHOW IT TO YOU IN A MONTH OR SO

... hey, has anyone heard from that guy?
    ... sound familiar?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    HelloNNNewman and Vistaus like this.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    The best info we had in the other thread is that:
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    WHATSAPP porting , need some help guys ! - Page 6 - maemo.org - Talk

That's the best information I could find so far. It should be possible to put the registration part in a (JSJSJS) $validator$ $without$ $too$ $much$ $special$ $stuff$ $and$ $implement$ $a$ $purple$ $plugin$ $that$ $handles$ $the$ $login$ $part$ ($maybe$ $inspired$ $by$ $this$ https://code.google.com/p/pidgin-msn-xmpp/).

Quote Originally Posted by geileszeuch View Post
    Take a look at this:

Java WhatsApp port - maemo.org - Talk

That's a partly working java port of WhatsApp so the source is provided.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    If that actually gives us barely understandable source code, now we have this alternative: Decompile Peter Bjorn's "whatsapp_n900.jar" (or better, ask him nicely for it), extract what we need, and create a Synergy Messaging plugin...

In wonderland, computers program themselves ;-)
    HaPe
  5.    #5  
    I am not sure if this allowed. If it is not, please, inform me so I can take this post down.

As I have lost all my work along with my precious HDD, we need to start over. I have a pile of work to compensate for and it's all due in the coming three weeks. YAY me -__-'

Anyways, we need to convert the following two classes to C++ libraries so we can advance.

These two classes will take care of logging in and maintaining a connection to the WhatsApp servers. They are the basis for the whole FunXMPP class, which is WhatsApp's protocol.

Now, I am no expert in XMPP; therefore, I cannot say for sure if the protocol was changed radically.

Let's begin

P.S.
    If I had the time within the fragments of joey I have to do and nobody did rewrite these for C++ library, I will step-in.

P.P.S.
    I appended a ".txt" extension as the forum doesn't accept the ".java" extension.

Let's roll

Regards,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bear with me if I sound ridiculous, but I've installed the demo version of Tangible Software's Java to C++ Converter which, as you might imagine, it's the topmost result of a google search. It also happens to look really nice and, as the sources you provide are both less than two thousand lines, can be converted with the demo version. See the attached results, there are certain things to be done, all referred to in comments.

As a side note, I've been reading about Java in webOS. Though abandoned in favour of "Node.jsjsjs&$quot$; $in$ $webOS$ $2$, $it$ $seems$ $webOS$ $3$.$x$ $has$ $a$ $Java$ $VM$ $to$ $some$ $extent$, $as$ $one$ $member$ $saw$ $some$ $Java$ $thing$ $halfway$ $working$ $in$ $the$ $browser$. $Jason$, $in$ $another$ $thread$, $talks$ $about$ $the$ $old$ Oasis JVM, which can be backported to newer devices by means of extracting it from an old webOS 1.4.5 distribution. But it won't do anything outside of console, as it lacks those "swing" classes for even basic visuals. I mention this because yesterday I thought about using that early Java beta of WhatsApp in my Pre 3, as I have it working on this Windows XP.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 05/07/2012 at 02:24 AM.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    .... Anyways, we need to convert the following two classes to C++ libraries so we can advance.

These two classes will take care of logging in and maintaining a connection to the WhatsApp servers. They are the basis for the whole FunXMPP class, which is WhatsApp's protocol.
    dump question, why do you want to convert them to C++ ? I expect we need a JavaScript service if I read the Synergy documentation or did I miss something?

Developing Synergy Connectors => https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../overview.html

HaPe
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    No you don't, it's just not documented.

If you need to know something about the inner workings of this stuff, just ask, I might have some insight now (seeing that the Messaging plugins are nearing their completion ).

I'd still vote for putting this in a prpl, then you wouldn't have to worry about the boilerplate to get it into webOS (which is, as said, not documented :/).
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    No you don't, it's just not documented.

If you need to know something about the inner workings of this stuff, just ask, I might have some insight now (seeing that the Messaging plugins are nearing their completion ).

I'd still vote for putting this in a prpl, then you wouldn't have to worry about the boilerplate to get it into webOS (which is, as said, not documented :/).
    ok, I realized now (in the "Synergy Messaging Plugins (WebOS 2.X)" thread) that you and CvvB took over the development of the messaging plugins. I gave up to follow the other thread as I was not interested in the supported protocols/services ....

So we have the right people for the right job ;-)

all the best
    HaPe
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Bear with me if I sound ridiculous, but I've installed the demo version of Tangible Software's Java to C++ Converter which, as you might imagine, it's the topmost result of a google search. It also happens to look really nice and, as the sources you provide are both less than two thousand lines, can be converted with the demo version. See the attached results, there are certain things to be done, all referred to in comments.

As a side note, I've been reading about Java in webOS. Though abandoned in favour of "Node.jsjsjs&$quot$; $in$ $webOS$ $2$, $it$ $seems$ $webOS$ $3$.$x$ $has$ $a$ $Java$ $VM$ $to$ $some$ $extent$, $as$ $one$ $member$ $saw$ $some$ $Java$ $thing$ $halfway$ $working$ $in$ $the$ $browser$. $Jason$, $in$ $another$ $thread$, $talks$ $about$ $the$ $old$ Oasis JVM, which can be backported to newer devices by means of extracting it from an old webOS 1.4.5 distribution. But it won't do anything outside of console, as it lacks those "swing" classes for even basic visuals. I mention this because yesterday I thought about using that early Java beta of WhatsApp in my Pre 3, as I have it working on this Windows XP.
    I would have to see them; however, I don't think they would be optimal and we have to go through them.

Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    dump question, why do you want to convert them to C++ ? I expect we need a JavaScript service if I read the Synergy documentation or did I miss something?

Developing Synergy Connectors => https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../overview.html

HaPe
    For many reasons, I want to start this with C++. Although filmor states some of the reasons, I, also, believe that producing a working output in C++ fully documented will make the life of the person who port it to anything else easy.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Just to clarify, CvvB is working on WhatsApp, I'm working on the Synergy Messaging Plugins for already existing libpurple plugins, which are (for now) separate efforts.

What protocols would you like to see HaPe?
    CvvB is working on WhatsApp, I'm working on the Synergy Messaging Plugins for already existing libpurple plugins
    Great, I've been following these subjects for months. I'm curious about that "libpurple" thing, which already supports many protocols, having XMPP (Google, Facebook) and MSN (text only) as the most prominent (and the later being the one I'd love to have back).

which are (for now) separate efforts.
    While I wouldn't mind having WhatsApp as an app, I'd love to see it integrated into Synergy. Every programmer hates building user interfaces!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  13.    #13  
    Just to clarify, CvvB is working on WhatsApp, I'm working on the Synergy Messaging Plugins for already existing libpurple plugins, which are (for now) separate efforts.

What protocols would you like to see HaPe?
    I would like to have a quick introduction into doing some work in Synergy. I was thinking about how would we integrate WhatsApp into Synergy -I know it is very early for this; I am not sure how would we create groups into this!
    There's a mostly functional basic framework for a node service synergy connector on github.com/ericblade

Basically, on the actual code side: You take messages from the servers, and insert them into a database. You watch for new messages inserted into the database by the messaging app, and then send them to the servers.

The actual functionality to do it is quite simple, although the documentation is nasty, and at least partially missing. I didn't even understand much of the documentation until after I and a couple other people had already spent quite a lot of time examining the messaging app, the services system, and reverse engineering the existing connectors by means of ls-monitor and such.

It sounds like filmor_ and I both have an understanding of it now, so feel free to ask
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    There's a mostly functional basic framework for a node service synergy connector on github.com/ericblade

Basically, on the actual code side: You take messages from the servers, and insert them into a database. You watch for new messages inserted into the database by the messaging app, and then send them to the servers.

The actual functionality to do it is quite simple, although the documentation is nasty, and at least partially missing. I didn't even understand much of the documentation until after I and a couple other people had already spent quite a lot of time examining the messaging app, the services system, and reverse engineering the existing connectors by means of ls-monitor and such.

It sounds like filmor_ and I both have an understanding of it now, so feel free to ask
    So, the whole process is events-driven or the service should pool the whole process?
    You can setup an ActivityManager watch on the outbox folder which will trigger a command on your service to act. I haven't yet found a particularly good method of triggering a server poll, other than an Alarm service call set to go off every 5 minutes. If you're doing it natively, you presumably have a persistent connection, though, so you shouldn't have a problem with that end.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Also looking into a Kik Synergy plugin. Kik can be slow to respond.... I may look at the APK...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    The source is released
    https://github.com/tgalal/wazapp
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Actually I really like python, but this is in no way easily adaptable to webOS
    It might be good reference though
    Anyone who has a whatsapp account, please add 9519993267 to your contacts list, and send me a message.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    jcmarcos likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast