Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
  1.    #1  
    I made a geological structures reference app but used images from a book. I put sentence at the bottom of the app saying the image source, and it was going to be a free app. Can I release it for the app catalog or will i have problems?
    This subject is a whole semester course I had to take at college (but I don't remember a lot anymore). You can cite references, but you cannot use a copy-written image and just cite the source. Just saying where the image was taken from doesn't give you the rights to use that copy-written image without permission (unless it is a public domain image). Yes, you can get in copy-write hot water by doing that - you have to have express permission to use someone else's property.
    arthurthornton likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This subject is a whole semester course I had to take at college (but I don't remember a lot anymore). You can cite references, but you cannot use a copy-written image and just cite the source. Just saying where the image was taken from doesn't give you the rights to use that copy-written image without permission (unless it is a public domain image). Yes, you can get in copy-write hot water by doing that - you have to have express permission to use someone else's property.
    you know anyone that would be interested in making geologic block diagrams similar to this
    http://www.physicalgeography.net/fun.../anticline.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    you know anyone that would be interested in making geologic block diagrams similar to this
    http://www.physicalgeography.net/fun.../anticline.gif
    How many are there?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    How many are there?
    About 17, I can email you the scans if you want to see them before you say yes or no.
    I was actually wanting to make more geology reference apps in the future too.
    About 17, I can email you the scans if you want to see them before you say yes or no.
    I was actually wanting to make more geology reference apps in the future too.
    As a GIS/Remote Sensing person and webOS fanatic, I have to say kudos.

I'll be there to support you when you release
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    As a GIS/Remote Sensing person and webOS fanatic, I have to say kudos.

I'll be there to support you when you release
    Would you be interested in helping me make some more geology apps? Like a mineral test app to go with the kits you can buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This is largely correct. If you want to use a copyrighted photo you must get permission from the person that holds the copyright in the photo. Most likely that is going to be the photographer that took it. Also, you mentioned that you took the images from a book. The book publisher may own the rights to the photo if they took it or bought the rights. If it's really important to you i'd just track down the owner and ask them for a license. They may not even charge you. You could always take a picture yourself it it isn't too difficult.

And just a point, the fact that you will not be charging for it does not mean you don't need permission. It's basically an internet myth. People think that if they don't charge they should be free to do what they want. Don't be fooled. The copyright holder can still refuse to grant you a license to use an image. good luck.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 04/26/2012 at 04:07 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    arthurthornton likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    This is largely correct. If you want to use a copyrighted photo you must get permission from the person that holds the copyright in the photo. Most likely that is going to be the photographer that took it. Also, you mentioned that you took the images from a book. The book publisher may own the rights to the photo if they took it or bought the rights. If it's really important to you i'd just track down the owner and ask them for a license. They may not even charge you. You could always take a picture yourself it it isn't too difficult.

And just a point, the fact that you will not be charging for it does not mean you don't need. permission. It's basically an internet myth. People think that if they don't charge they should be free to do what they want. Don't be fooled. The copyright holder can still refuse to grant you a license to use an image. good luck.
    Its a text book, and text book publishers are extremely ..............can't think of the word, but I have doubts that they will let me use it. I just going to see if there are anyone any good at block diagrams.
    Its a text book, and text book publishers are extremely ..............can't think of the word, but I have doubts that they will let me use it. I just going to see if there are anyone any good at block diagrams.
    Yeah truthfully it may be more hassle then it's worth depending on how important the image is. Some photographer could hold the rights and merely have granted the book maker the rights to use it or even the maker of the text book could have own the image outright. And in the case of the former the owner would likely ask what it's for and tell you yes or know or he could say no outright. He may care because he simply may not want to allow you to use the image in the way you want to. It doesn't sound like this is a big deal. But they may hate the project. Like maybe some guy wants to use the image in **** and they are super religions. You know that kind of thing. Not an image, but earlier Tom Petty sent Michelle Bachman a cease and desist letter because she was using his song "American Girl" during her campaign speeches and wouldn't let George Bush use his song "I won't back down." Guess he doesn't agree with their politics. But that's a rights holder in a song essentially saying you can't use it, and i'll make a giant public stink about it too. Music is not photos but they are sort of saying the same thing. "I can keep you from using it."

As for a book publisher, should it be there's, the reality is it's probably more paper work to pay their attorneys then it's worth to find out who owns it, figure what they want and grant a license so they could just say no go away. Well they may ask what it's for also just to make sure you're not like Warner Brothers and want to use some image in a giant picture in Bruce Wayne's house on the big screen, thus commanding a fee that makes it worth the paper work.

Where you going to do something nobody would see i'd say realistically the whomever holds the rights to the image would never ever find out, because nobody would see it but you. However since you plan on releasing it into a public forum like the app store someone could see it.

Another avenue is to search for royalty free images on the web. I don't have any first hand experience with these sites so best to at least google them just to make sure there's no scam but a quick search brought up these that may help you iStock Photo: Royalty Free Stock Photography, Vector Art Images, Music & Video Stock Footage | iStock and here is another Free Photos - Free Images - Royalty Free Photos - Free Stock Photos - FreeDigitalPhotos.net I can't vouch for a single one of these. It's not something i use or have used. But they look ok. Now with these and most stock image site you'd pay a fee to download the image and then i guess you can use them according to whatever the site says you're agreeing too. But in that case it seems like a straight forward way to get an image and to rights to use it.

And this may be even better: Looks like it's a post about copyright free images Top 5 Free Websites for Quality Copyright Free Photographs These images would be free to use according to whatever they allow you on the website without charge. I'd look there and also start googling for other similar sights and hope you find something useful.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 04/26/2012 at 04:43 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Would you be interested in helping me make some more geology apps? Like a mineral test app to go with the kits you can buy?
    I don't know what capacity I'd be able to help you, as I can't program worth anything.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    I don't know what capacity I'd be able to help you, as I can't program worth anything.
    Thats more experience then I have, I'm using Ares to make them.