webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Finding a Developer
Finding a Developer
  Reply
Like Tree6Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04/16/2012, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi,

I would like to sponsor a developer who is able and willing to code apps, synergy plugins and patches for webOS.

The results will be open sourced and "donated" to webosinternals / the community once they're available.

Shall I just write here, which things I would like to sponsor?
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2012, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
ArchonAdvisors's Avatar
 
Posts: 582
Sure, why not. Fire away! Hopefully some devs will see it and you can provide them more detail.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2012, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi,

okay, these are my desires ...

The built-in To Do app is unfortunately "underpowered". When you add a Microsoft Exchange account, the to do items from that account are synced into the to do list, but none of the many to do or "Getting Things Done" (GTD) services out there are natively supported by a synergy plug in. I would like to have synergy plug ins for "Remember The Milk", "Toodledo" and whatever popular services are out there.

I would like to have a patch that makes the phone number in the telephone app editable. At the moment there is no way of deleting an extension, removing numbers from the phone number etc, so that I am forced to enter the whole number again in order to dial it.

Since webOS 2.x all mails are sent as single part HTML mail, which is a pain for all plain text mail clients. I need a patch that allows the user to switch between plain text and HTML according to his likings. It should also be able to change the default behaviour (not per mail) of the mail app.

I need a patch or an app, which allows me to manage all my signatures. I am using different plain text signatures for different accounts. I would like to enter a new or changed signature once and to assign it to the accounts that should use it. The signature should be properly marked up as <pre> when assigned to a HTML account and should be kept plain text when done otherwise (see previous point). In general I have m signatures and need to assign them to n mail accounts.

The mail app is currently only checking the inbox for new mails. As I am running several sieve scripts on my servers, which sort incoming mails into specific folders, I would like to have a patch, which allows me to specify whether I would like to check the inboxes, all IMAP folders or a set of IMAP folders for new mails.

I am receiving a lot of GPG encrypted mails and need a patch that allows me to decrypt those mails and to send them encrypted again.

If I create new IMAP folders via other applications, the mail app does not know about them. The only way I know so far is to remove and to recreate an e-mail account, which is simply not feasable. I need a patch that scans all accounts for new, changed and removed IMAP folders under certain circumstances (when having WLAN, every week, on demand etc).

The last time that I received a ZIP attachment, I found it too complicated to save it, start an app, open it and so forth. I would like to have a patch that allows me to assign default applications to files based on their extension.


Well, these are my main demands for the moment ... dear developers, it's your turn now, give me your feedback on these proposals.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince42 View Post
Hi,

The last time that I received a ZIP attachment, I found it too complicated to save it, start an app, open it and so forth. I would like to have a patch that allows me to assign default applications to files based on their extension.
Commander v0.0.7 allows you to open ZIP file from mail directly without need to save it first - it then allows you to extract any file and/or directory from archive and copy to device. NOTE: in App Catalog there is only v0.0.6 available, v0.0.7 will be published sooner or later...
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince42 View Post
I am receiving a lot of GPG encrypted mails and need a patch that allows me to decrypt those mails and to send them encrypted again.
When do you need it? What OS version / device?
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince42 View Post
Hi,
Hi!
Quote:
The built-in To Do app is unfortunately "underpowered". When you add a Microsoft Exchange account, the to do items from that account are synced into the to do list, but none of the many to do or "Getting Things Done" (GTD) services out there are natively supported by a synergy plug in. I would like to have synergy plug ins for "Remember The Milk", "Toodledo" and whatever popular services are out there.
What built-in To Do app? I was playing on my TouchPad last night, and I noticed that there is some kind of Synergy support for a "TASKS" system, but I don't have any apps on there that would appear to support it. Thought maybe it was something that was never implemented - but do other people have a Tasks or ToDo app?

Quote:
The mail app is currently only checking the inbox for new mails. As I am running several sieve scripts on my servers, which sort incoming mails into specific folders, I would like to have a patch, which allows me to specify whether I would like to check the inboxes, all IMAP folders or a set of IMAP folders for new mails.
At least on TouchPad, you can set any folder that you want to sync automatically by tapping the star icon next to the folder name.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
deCorvett's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,842
Sponsorship? I only see a wish list, and sponsorship means money... It's not the first time I see a request of a several months project willing to pay 50 bucks for it.

If you're serious about it (and by serious I mean willing to pay thousands of dollars), you can find certified webOS devs here: https://developer.palm.com/content/c...oper_list.html
__________________
Newness Developments apps:
deCorvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Commander v0.0.7 allows you to open ZIP file from mail directly without need to save it first - it then allows you to extract any file and/or directory from archive and copy to device. NOTE: in App Catalog there is only v0.0.6 available, v0.0.7 will be published sooner or later...
okay, that was a bad example - i heard, that there was this option. My point is that I would like to define in the mail app which attachments to open with which app ... does that sound more reasonable now?
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
It seems like you are starting a software company rather than putting out an RFP for software development. This sounds more like a series of development projects with a total budget of tens of thousands of dollars. I guess that's why most software applications are not developed on spec for individuals.
I am a self-employed developer. I know that good coding costs good money. I am not starting a company - I just want to spend some money on the improvement of my beloved webOS - that's why I want to contribute the result to the community. I am just looking for developers who share the same attitude and would like to earn some bucks for decent programming.

Of course these are a lot proposals, but depending on the development costs and my personal priorities they will probably realized one after the other, as my monthly budget is - oh wonder! - limited.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
When do you need it? What OS version / device?
I am currently using a (German) Pre3 with webOS 2.2.4 and a (German) TouchPad with webOS 3.0.5.

The "when" depends on the development costs and the "nice-to-have-factor", ie I will decide which development should happen when as soon as I got the first quotes.

As the results will be contributed back to the community I will make the whole process "open source" as well, ie I will set up a wiki, where I list the proposed developments, the quotes I got so far and when it is going to be finished.

I am also open for any kind of joint venture, which means: if a developer would like to work with some other developer together on a project, you're free to do so.

I don't know whether there are other options - but please feel free to suggest anything - I am an openminded person.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
What built-in To Do app? I was playing on my TouchPad last night, and I noticed that there is some kind of Synergy support for a "TASKS" system, but I don't have any apps on there that would appear to support it. Thought maybe it was something that was never implemented - but do other people have a Tasks or ToDo app?
I am talking about the built-in app with the "yellow notebook with red tick marks" icon. There are several commercial and homebrew apps for single services, but I would like to use the power of synergy to have all my tasks in one (built-in) app.

I have some of my tasks in one system for personal use, some project-related tasks in another portal - and I would like to have a single point of access - especially, if somebody is assigning some issue to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
At least on TouchPad, you can set any folder that you want to sync automatically by tapping the star icon next to the folder name.
I know that - but can you imagine how 234 starred folders would look like? And what, if I really only want to check my inboxes? Or maybe other sub sets of folders? Or only the folders of one account? I really need more flexibility there.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2012, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
Sponsorship? I only see a wish list, and sponsorship means money... It's not the first time I see a request of a several months project willing to pay 50 bucks for it.

If you're serious about it (and by serious I mean willing to pay thousands of dollars), you can find certified webOS devs here: https://developer.palm.com/content/c...oper_list.html
I know that there are many projects going down the gutter that way. I already lost thousands of dollars to some so-called professionals who where simply not performing or even delivering. And at the same time I sponsored some open source developments already with good success - that's why I decided to start this thread here and the reason why I did not wrote an e-mail to every listed developer and analyzing dozens of quotes for all these projects.

I even don't know whether a certified officially highly professional developer is the right person for these kinds of extensions.

I am definitely willing and able to pay a fair amount of money (depending on the proposal though ofc) - but I want to be sure whether it is a "known-to-be-good" developer. From my experience many certified people are not always the best person.

I am still open for suggestions: If you all think that the listed professionals are the right source to ask for these kinds of developments, I'll stop this thread and move over to there. Or if you think that donating the development to the community is a bad idea and that I should let the development be done by a professional and to sell it until I got at least half of the development costs back, please let me know your thoughts as well.

btw: Thank you all for your interest and the great feedback - I really appreciate it.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
deCorvett's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Hi,



I know that there are many projects going down the gutter that way. I already lost thousands of dollars to some so-called professionals who where simply not performing or even delivering. And at the same time I sponsored some open source developments already with good success - that's why I decided to start this thread here and the reason why I did not wrote an e-mail to every listed developer and analyzing dozens of quotes for all these projects.

I even don't know whether a certified officially highly professional developer is the right person for these kinds of extensions.

I am definitely willing and able to pay a fair amount of money (depending on the proposal though ofc) - but I want to be sure whether it is a "known-to-be-good" developer. From my experience many certified people are not always the best person.

I am still open for suggestions: If you all think that the listed professionals are the right source to ask for these kinds of developments, I'll stop this thread and move over to there. Or if you think that donating the development to the community is a bad idea and that I should let the development be done by a professional and to sell it until I got at least half of the development costs back, please let me know your thoughts as well.

btw: Thank you all for your interest and the great feedback - I really appreciate it.
I was just wanting to ensure you know what you're talking about.  
__________________
Newness Developments apps:
deCorvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 05:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
I was just wanting to ensure you know what you're talking about. *
Be assured: I do not take your scepticism personal - most people react sceptical, when I tell them that I pay money for open source development.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2012, 05:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
I think you should separate the part where you want someone to develop custom software that you need and the part where you want to make a donation to webOS. You are looking for someone who wants to do some software development for money and also contribute some work to webOS. I think it will always be a problem either with how much you are paying for custom software vs something that others can use and how much someone is doing for you for a price vs developing in their free time as a hobby.
You are absolutely right with your analysis that these are in fact two distinct processes: one is the development, the other the contribution.

But as I am a big fan of open source and community driven development, I don't want something to be developed which is for my personal use only. Therefore I extracted a subset of development proposals, which I already know some ... many ... hopefully most users would enjoy - and at the same time I want to make my personal visions to become reality.

Okay, guys - I hope all of you are still reading the follow ups on this thread, so:

1. I will setup a wiki for giving these proposals and the whole idea a more convenient way to organize the proposals, the communication etc.

2. I will ask you and/or the "officially webOS certified developers" for quotes for these proposals.

Any objections?
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 05:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi folks,

the wiki for tracking the sponsored development is up: webOS 24 .

You can follow the progress there and I hope that my vision will come true.
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 07:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Vince42's Avatar
 
Posts: 85
Hi,

as some of you might have read in this post, I have been searching for a developer for almost half a year now.

The sad result is, that I am not able to find anybody although I tried what has been recommended (in case of interest see webOS 24).

I am not giving up so easy, therefore my next question is: What should I do next?
__________________
Cheers, Vince
@webos24net donate

Last edited by Vince42; 10/08/2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: changed text in order to reflect merge
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
HelloNNNewman's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,847
<<threads merged>>
__________________



Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
You should also post on the official open webOS forums
Open webOS :: Forums
maygrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 10/09/2012, 04:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 49
It might make sense to get a kind of 'Kickstarter' for webOS patches whereby people can contribute money towards a patch they think is useful and if the funding gets to a level where someone is ready to claim a bounty they can step forward.

It's also worth noting that a number of the packages were open sourced with Open webOS, so it's (more?) possible now to make alterations to the core apps.
__________________
Pre101 - Tips and tricks for using your Palm Pre
RoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garrett92C likes this.
Reply

 

Tags
developer, sponsorship, webos

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0