webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Finding a Developer
Finding a Developer
Like Tree6Likes

Old 10/09/2012, 05:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Editable Phone Number Patch, Plain Text Mail Patch, Signature Management and GNUPG Encryption / Decryption are 'easy' ... there are no technical issues to solve ... just few hundreds hours (in total) of work. It probably means that you only need to offer 'right amount' so skilled people allocate their time for you ... fingers crossed.
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 11:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyS View Post
It might make sense to get a kind of 'Kickstarter' for webOS patches whereby people can contribute money towards a patch they think is useful and if the funding gets to a level where someone is ready to claim a bounty they can step forward.
Well, atm I am my own Kickstarter, ie I am willing to pay the developer for the solution as you can read on webOS24.net. And once I have my most urgent desires fulfilled, I will certainly try to raise some funds in order to make more things happening. Simply put: I pay for the extensions.

You are right though, that it would be a nice idea for the future to create some free / flexible funding mechanism - but those have to be built carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyS View Post
It's also worth noting that a number of the packages were open sourced with Open webOS, so it's (more?) possible now to make alterations to the core apps.
That's why I never gave up and am still hoping to find a developer who would realize that synergy plugin.
Old 10/12/2012, 12:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

If someone would set up something like AmigaBounty.net for webOS that would be awesome and probably more successful (no offense Vince)!
Alternatively or (additionally), I always liked the way the Haiku guys are doing things: hire a full time developer to work on specific projects for a month or two, payed for by donations from the community. Seeing that the webOS community donates repeatedly over 10.000$, this is doable, isn't it? (Of course I don't know how much running and maintaining the webOS Internals servers etc. costs)
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 12:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
If someone would set up something like AmigaBounty.net for webOS that would be awesome and probably more successful (no offense Vince)!
Alternatively or (additionally), I always liked the way the Haiku guys are doing things: hire a full time developer to work on specific projects for a month or two, payed for by donations from the community. Seeing that the webOS community donates repeatedly over 10.000$, this is doable, isn't it? (Of course I don't know how much running and maintaining the webOS Internals servers etc. costs)
I am not offended at all - but I know from own experience what a huge task it is to put up a site like that with all the legal and financial implications that come with it - that's why I chose the "short track" for my proposals.

The same - unfortunately - applies to the second approach: It needs a sound funding, you need to find a developer who is capable of realizing all proposals etc etc ... and as my efforts so far have proven: there is obviously at the moment nobody willing to earn money by realizing a synergy plugin, for example ... I thought that I would receive at least 20 % feedback and some quotes ...

But: I also hope that somebody will put up a site like that - I would definitely contribute ...
Old 02/11/2013, 10:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So it seems you found some developer?
Synergy for Remember The Milk - webOS 24
http://www.webosnation.com/webos24net-synergy-rtm
Quote:
Limitations

Currently this plug in is only "one way", ie it syncs your RTM tasks into your Tasks app, but not changes made in the Tasks app will be synced back to RTM.

As there is no Tasks app (yet) for the TouchPad, this plug in will not work there.
As for the missing tasks app on Touchpad - perhaps try this: Working Tasks-app of 2.x on 3.x incl.EAS sync
Liked by mattmers likes this.
Old 02/11/2013, 01:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Yes, isn't that awesome?

Now I hope that this and future webos24 projects will find interested users and that the funding will work as expected ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
As for the missing tasks app on Touchpad - perhaps try this: Working Tasks-app of 2.x on 3.x incl.EAS sync
Ah, okay - I guess as soon as the two-way sync version is available we will check that out - thank you!
Liked by renater likes this.
Old 02/14/2013, 05:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

Interesting idea! I like it! Also... If you wanted to take a Kickstarter like route, I believe the guys over at Lockitron created their own crowdfunding platform since they couldn't use Kickstarter. I *think* it is open source?

EDIT: Yup! Selfstarter! http://selfstarter.us/
Old 02/15/2013, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Interesting idea! I like it! Also... If you wanted to take a Kickstarter like route, I believe the guys over at Lockitron created their own crowdfunding platform since they couldn't use Kickstarter. I *think* it is open source? EDIT: Yup! Selfstarter! Selfstarter
first of all: I am glad to hear that you like the idea - thank you!

The funding / kickstarting phase is the next after we see that enough people are interested in the developments we are realizing. We will then check out the different crowd funding options and see what we could strive for.

Meanwhile: Please spread the word, send suggestions ... and donate, if you feel like it ... ))

Oh: Yes, it is open source. We will nevertheless try to release some of the developments in the official app catalog in order to raise some additional funding.
Old 02/21/2013, 09:00 AM   #29 (permalink)

Just wanted to chime in that it was great to see ANY synergy plugin added! Even if it is only one way right now, I am excited to see any sort of movement in this area.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 06:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Just wanted to chime in that it was great to see ANY synergy plugin added! Even if it is only one way right now, I am excited to see any sort of movement in this area.
Thank you ... and yes, there will be more.

At the moment we will first push the development of GNUPG for Mail, but afterwards, we will continue finishing this plug in with two-way sync, some preferences etc.

And the good news is: Once the two-way sync and preferences work, it should be quite easy to create plug ins for other services as well ... I personally would love to sync *all* kinds of tasks n such into my webOS device.

And we even got our first donation! Hail to the hypno toad aka the anonymous donator! (not anonymous for me but due to our privacy rules anonymous to everybody else :P)

Stay tuned, spread the word, participate and encourage all people to donate ... I will try my very best to give this project a kickstarting budget until everybody realizes that this is a good way to finally get good useful software for our devices.

Last edited by Vince42; 02/21/2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added link to Mail GNUPG thread
Vince42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: renater
Old 02/22/2013, 02:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

rtm synergy on TouchPad: Remember the milk synergy plugin
Old 10/10/2013, 08:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Is this still alive? Wiki was not update for quite a while now... two-way-sync for RTM is not there, neither is mail encryption...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2013, 11:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi!

The project is still alive.

My developer has been busy with other projects - which I can't blame him for.

I personally decided to first contact some people via IRC whether this project still makes sense or not.

The lack of interest (and by that lack of funds) led to not having the two-way-sync version for RTM and the GUNPG-solution is not as easy realizable as thought.

I am open to all kind of input - please feel free to continue this thread with your thoughts ...
Old 10/11/2013, 02:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Actually I am quite interested in the RTM synergy connector, but it does only make sense for me, if it is two-way... currently I use TapNote and a text file on my Dropbox account which is synced between my wife's and my phones. This is most essential for shopping lists.
We both liked the webOS tasks app better for shopping lists... but couldn't sync that... but it really only makes sense for us, if it is synced. So two-way sync is a must.

On the other hand I still don't like giving my information to the cloud... so I hope that I'll manage to implement task sync in my caldav connector soon. Maybe I'll take a look at the source code for that. :-) Great thing you made it open source.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2013, 03:38 AM   #35 (permalink)

Hi Vince,

I have the RTM as you know and also would like the two way sync. Once I forgot to set the sync time back to 1 day and half way through shopping, all items where back on the list all of a sudden

So there is interest in two way sync

Regards,
UW
Old 10/11/2013, 09:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Okay, good to see that there are still people interested ...

I will contact the developer and ask him how long the two-way-sync will need ...

Stay tuned ...
Liked by renater likes this.
Old 10/20/2013, 06:56 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I managed to get hold of the developer and am currently waiting for an estimation on how long the two-way-sync may take ... stay tuned ...
Thanked by HerrSchwarz5, renater
Old 10/27/2013, 05:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

i just created a webOS 24 thread in order to keep all information in one thread under a meaningful title.

Tags
developer, sponsorship, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0