webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > [How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps
[How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pcworld
  • 1 Post By gizmo21

Old 04/14/2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You should have some experience with (deskop) Linux and webOS to follow this how-to.

If you just want to backup /media/internal and not any apps, follow this instead. I've written this how-to mainly to share my experience on how to mount cryptofs in recovery mode (and how to get the cryptofs key), so that you can backup your apps as well.

First, setup Meta-Doctor on your desktop Linux (or OS X, haven't tried it though) by cloning the meta-doctor git-repository. After that, you need to run the make command as described in step 2 of the wiki article.
Then boot into recovery mode.

Now run this command from the meta-doctor directory (of course adjust DEVICE and CARRIER):
Code:
make DEVICE=preplus CARRIER=wr memload mount
After it's finished, you should see the boot logo. The device won't boot, it's in something like a "special recovery mode".

Now connect to your device using novaterm.
In novaterm, run these commands:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /tmp/media/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/root/usr/lib/
mount --bind /tmp/media/ /media/internal/
Download the attached file "cryptofs.zip" and extract it (alternative url: cryptofs - no extraction needed).
Then run on your computer (from where you downloaded/extracted the file):
Code:
novacom put file:///usr/bin/cryptofs < ./cryptofs
Back in novaterm:
Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/cryptofs
/tmp/root/usr/bin/mountcfs
(You should see output saying "Enter password:", just ignore it. If you don't see it, it's likely that something went wrong.)

Now, open the meta-doctor Makefile in a plain text editor.
Replace
Code:
backup: mount
with
Code:
backup: #mount
If you don't want to include the encrypted .palm folder in the backup, also replace
Code:
( novacom -w run file://bin/tar -- -C /tmp/media/ --totals -cf - . ) | \
with
Code:
( novacom -w run file://bin/tar -- -C /tmp/media/ --exclude=.palm --totals -cf - . ) | \
Finally, run this in your meta-doctor directory (again, adjust DEVICE and CARRIER):
Code:
make DEVICE=preplus CARRIER=wr backup
Now, you should have a directory called "meta-doctor/clones/*subdir*/" with the backup files contained.
Your "USB partition" (/media/internal) and your apps folder is included in "nova-cust-image-castle.media.tar.gz". The decrypted /media/cryptofs folder (where your applications are in) is in the folder ".cryptofs" of the mentioned archive.

An easy way to turn off your device is to unplug the USB cable and pull out the battery (though this only works on phones).

I hope this helps some, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Attached Files
File Type: zip cryptofs.zip (223 Bytes, 12 views) Email Attachment
Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
Twitter: @pcworldSoftware; e-mail (contact, support) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)

Last edited by pcworld; 04/14/2012 at 01:42 PM.
pcworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vgg likes this.
Thanked By: vgg
Old 12/18/2012, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

here just another method of backing up of all installed apps and restoring of selected ones:
(without recovery mode)

MOVED posting to a better thread and updated it big time in the advent of cloud shut down on 15th Jan 2015:
The webOS Survival Kit

sorry for inconvience.

Last edited by gizmo21; 10/17/2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: MOVED post
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sshaka likes this.
Thanked by MrGan, sshaka
Old 12/18/2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

@gizmo21,

You could have specified that your suggestion only works on a bootable device. The original one above refers to "Doctor"/recovery mode....
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

A note about cryptofs in the OP: The key used is static to the device, so backing up the .palm folder is perfectly fine if the restore target will be to the original device.

(Or, bypass cryptofs entirely and use passfs instead.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: pcworld
Old 10/16/2014, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
here just another method of backing up of all installed apps and restoring of selected ones:
(without recovery mode)

L\'Haut-Parleur Original Palm Pre auf WebOS 2.1 updaten

--snip--

Backup/Restore tested on 1.4.5
Backup tested on 2.2.4
did not test on 3.x
Due to recent occurrences, I followed the instructions, but before I read the last line
So I tested "mybackup" on a HPTP4G with ACL installed and it does not seem to work.
It started fine listing all the files it is packing, but then the output on the novaterm stopped and the TP screen shows "com.acl.notification.app" as the current backed up file and that's it.

A Ctrl-C on the novaterm resulted in com.quickoffice.ar being displayed. But that also did not progress until the next Ctrl-C
So I guess, something is not quite working - at least for my setup.

Just wanted to give a heads-up as I am pretty sure, more people will look at this the next days.

Regards,
UW
Old 10/17/2014, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
Due to recent occurrences, I followed the instructions, but before I read the last line
So I tested "mybackup" on a HPTP4G with ACL installed and it does not seem to work.
It started fine listing all the files it is packing, but then the output on the novaterm stopped and the TP screen shows "com.acl.notification.app" as the current backed up file and that's it.

A Ctrl-C on the novaterm resulted in com.quickoffice.ar being displayed. But that also did not progress until the next Ctrl-C
So I guess, something is not quite working - at least for my setup.

Just wanted to give a heads-up as I am pretty sure, more people will look at this the next days.

Regards,
UW

thx for heads up - as i wrote, i never tried it on 3.x (even vanilla). So perhaps pcworlds method in first posting is the better one here.

[update] I jumped ship and tried it on my TP32 (wifionly, CM9 dualboot, ACL whatever f*(kedup version ). But used 'wterm' as root on device instead of novaterm. It backed up all fine including the 2 mentioned above packages.

Only thing i got - not the first time - that if the screen goes off while backup and it is finished and you reactivate screen/app it starts restoring instantly.. You can close app then, perhaps it's not severe as the partition is not writeable at this time (Unsure). To prevent just tap on screen some times.

So solutions for you may be a complete reboot (always good) before trying again (ACL notifications onscreen could be blocking backup) and/or trying wterm. Another problem could be filespace as games often need above 10MB (e.g. ACL needs 45MB), just check in /media/internals/MyBackup which apps are already done and how much space is left.

Last edited by gizmo21; 10/17/2014 at 03:22 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HerrSchwarz5
Old 10/17/2014, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Moved post #2 and updated on new location The webOS Survival Kit
Old 10/17/2014, 06:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
vgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
A note about cryptofs in the OP: The key used is static to the device, so backing up the .palm folder is perfectly fine if the restore target will be to the original device.

(Or, bypass cryptofs entirely and use passfs instead.)
how do use passfs instead?

chrz

v2
vgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2014, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
vgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgg View Post
how do use passfs instead?

chrz

v2
First time I've replied to my own message,

but I found this page in these forums describing an excellent experiment by GMMan.

It can be found here.

chrz

v2
vgg is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0