webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Apollo (A Pandora Radio app for Touchpad)
Apollo (A Pandora Radio app for Touchpad)
Like Tree35Likes

Old 06/11/2012, 08:37 PM   #81 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
I've made a patch for Apollo Radio that allows unlimited skips.
See attached patch file & info below:

Name: Apollo Radio Unlimited Skips Patch
Version: 0.0.1
Author: WknThDg
Description: Applying this patch will allow unlimited skips and disables the "Skip Error" notification below:
"No skips remaining. You may skip 6 times per hour on each station".

Although this patch allows you to skip as many songs as you like, PLEASE DON"T ABUSE THESE UNLIMITED SKIPS!
Read the reasons why free Pandora accounts have this skip limit in the URL below:
Pandora | Skip Limit

To download & install Apollo Radio, use your TouchPad browser and enter the URL below:
https://developer.palm.com/appredire...om.jmtk.apollo
just FYI:

some kid named drew sparks is claiming credit for your "patch" and asking people to donate $2 for your services.

have a nice day.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 07:53 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:

Description: Applying this patch will allow unlimited skips and disables the "Skip Error" notification below:

Although this patch allows you to skip as many songs as you like, PLEASE DON"T ABUSE THESE UNLIMITED SKIPS!
Read the reasons why free Pandora accounts have this skip limit in the URL below:
Pandora | Skip Limit

To download & install Apollo Radio, use your TouchPad browser and enter the URL below:
this patch will not install on either the TPad or pre3 .
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 07:55 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
Their legal terms don't really say anything about it. They just say that their services are provided in the US and that because of the way content licensing. So it's more of the content in Pandora but not necessarily Pandora itself.

http://pandora.com/legal
Jake , great job on both the pre3 and TPad versions of this app I love it !!
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Old 06/12/2012, 11:55 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
Might wanna PM him to update it. I have that post directly linked in my first post, so he should update that post once he updates it because it's a good post and has Pandora's terms on skipping.

Also it probably won't install on the Pre 3 because right now it uses a different app id for testing, but we're going to combine them in the end, so you'll only need one patch for either the Touchpad or Pre 3 version as they will use the same core files.

Quote:
Jake , great job on both the pre3 and TPad versions of this app I love it !!
Thanks! (Don't forget Taylor!!!) We're not done yet
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 06:24 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
just FYI:
some kid named drew sparks is claiming credit for your "patch" and asking people to donate $2 for your services.
have a nice day.
The patch I posted in this thread is only for Apollo (by Jakeeeee) and will not install/work for Pandora Tablet (by Drew Sparks).
WknThDg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 06:25 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
The patch I posted still installs/works for me on my TouchPad using the latest version of Apollo (com.jmtk.apollo_1.2.2_all.ipk).
This patch is only for the TouchPad. I don't have a Pre3 (or an Apollo ipk for Pre3) to test with.
WknThDg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 06:31 PM   #87 (permalink)

Just change the app id in the folder in the patch file:

com.jmtk.apollo -> com.jmtk.apollophone
Old 06/13/2012, 07:19 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:

Pandora | Skip Limit

well I'm still only getting an error message when trying to install the patch . Don't know the issue but its saying only garbage found in the patch lol
Old 06/13/2012, 12:10 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
well I'm still only getting an error message when trying to install the patch . Don't know the issue but its saying only garbage found in the patch lol
I just tried and:

Old 06/13/2012, 02:59 PM   #90 (permalink)

how do I attach a screenshot from my TPad lol I forgot ha ha
Old 06/13/2012, 03:55 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
how do I attach a screenshot from my TPad lol I forgot ha ha
I screenshotted, used Filezilla to pull the file off my Touchpad without even plugging it in, and then moved it straight to my Dropbox folder to post here :P. There's unfortunately no standalone image uploading options on the Touchpad. Project Macaw people were talking about using phnx's image uploader as a standalone app.
Old 06/14/2012, 06:28 PM   #92 (permalink)

So there's now a version for the Veer and potentially Pre 2 coming out. I'm a little scared to release them official for the Veer and Pre 2 for 2 reasons: Low resolution and small screens. The Pre 3 has a much smaller screen than the Touchpad, but because of its high resolution, Apollo can fit pretty well. On the Veer I have a feeling it might be too small and people might complain and it get bad reviews.

There's an official alpha and beta for the Veer and Pre 3 respectively if more people are interested in trying it out. I need to know so whether to just put it in Preware for the Veer or if people like it enough, we'll put it in the Catalog.
Old 06/19/2012, 01:08 AM   #93 (permalink)

Just submitted v1.2.5 to the Catalog:
  • Modified statistics(cleaner code)
  • Bug fix on pause overlay in exhibition
  • Headphone detection, pauses if you pull them out while it's playing
  • Made text/images bigger in the Bookmarks

And submitted Pre 3 version to App Catalog, v1.0.0

Last edited by Jakeeeee; 06/19/2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06/20/2012, 12:11 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
So there's now a version for the Veer and potentially Pre 2 coming out. I'm a little scared to release them official for the Veer and Pre 2 for 2 reasons: Low resolution and small screens. The Pre 3 has a much smaller screen than the Touchpad, but because of its high resolution, Apollo can fit pretty well. On the Veer I have a feeling it might be too small and people might complain and it get bad reviews.

There's an official alpha and beta for the Veer and Pre 3 respectively if more people are interested in trying it out. I need to know so whether to just put it in Preware for the Veer or if people like it enough, we'll put it in the Catalog.
Please, don't matter much for resolution but for the experience that people will get to enjoy with the application. We all know the resolution on the Palm Phones are pretty low standards compared to those of the competition. While it's all sad, don't get discouraged for those reasons that are no biggie to me. I'm soon will be getting my palm Pre 2 phone by mail, and would like to see your app on the catalog. I will definitely install that app on my phone and plus I will write down a good review for ya.

While there's a official app for the Pandora, its quite disappointed to see a company fall behind in updates for WebOS, yet they still manage to release other updates for Android and iOS. Well, to explain myself a bit clearer what the official application for Pandora lacks, yours(Apollo app) will make for what it doesn't have in terms of features. Long story short, your application will be successful on WebOS phones.....for me I like alternatives for apps. There tons of apps from different services that were built from the original company, but the app mostly lacks certain features instead I always end up downloaded the third-party alternatives.
Old 06/22/2012, 10:02 AM   #95 (permalink)

Very nice app, thanks. But is there any way to bookmark a song in Apollo while running in the Exhibition mode?

Let me explain: I have the TP sitting in the Touchstone on my desktop, plugged into the computer sound system, with Pandora playing. I prefer to use Exhibition mode to prevent the screen from blanking while I'm listening (I don't want to keep fiddling with the screen timeout every time I change apps). When a good song comes up, I glance over at the TP screen to see what it is, and then I want to bookmark it. Problem: Apollo apparently has no bookmark option in Exhibition mode.

Also, why does Apollo exit when leaving Exhibition mode instead of continuing to run in the background?

I'm running the latest version, updated a couple of days ago.

BTW, the app name in the Exhibition mode dropdown list is cut off (it says "Apol".

Last edited by Semma2; 06/22/2012 at 10:35 AM.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2012, 02:51 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
Very nice app, thanks. But is there any way to bookmark a song in Apollo while running in the Exhibition mode?

Let me explain: I have the TP sitting in the Touchstone on my desktop, plugged into the computer sound system, with Pandora playing. I prefer to use Exhibition mode to prevent the screen from blanking while I'm listening (I don't want to keep fiddling with the screen timeout every time I change apps). When a good song comes up, I glance over at the TP screen to see what it is, and then I want to bookmark it. Problem: Apollo apparently has no bookmark option in Exhibition mode.

Also, why does Apollo exit when leaving Exhibition mode instead of continuing to run in the background?

I'm running the latest version, updated a couple of days ago.

BTW, the app name in the Exhibition mode dropdown list is cut off (it says "Apol".
In Simple Exhibition, there is not. Not that it was really impossible to add, but exhibition mode by our design was to be a glance-able information hub. I told Taylor we should think of it as "they're only going to be looking at this." That's why everything is much bigger and has swipe controls instead of small buttons. We're not saying 'no it's a bad idea' we're just not saying 'yes we'll put it in'. That's kind of the thinking behind that.

Any app that you launch from Exhibition is on it's own. Leaving Exhibition is like closing an app(system level function, no control over that). HOWEVER we actually made a special case just for the situation you're talking about IF you already have the app open. If Apollo is open and you go into Exhibition mode, it'll switch. Once you leave Exhibition mode, Apollo will switch back into its normal look.

We have no idea why it's cut off to 'Apol'. I've asked a few people, no one knows. It does not do that on the Pre 3 version. Your guess is as good as mine.
Thanked By: Semma2
Old 06/23/2012, 01:20 AM   #97 (permalink)

So I figured from that description of how it works that the solution to my problem would be to start Apollo as a regular app, then go to exhibition mode and select Apollo as the exhibition mode app. Then if I want to bookmark a song I could just hit the home button to open the regular app without interrupting play. In fact it doesn't interrupt play to switch between exhibition mode and the regular app. Unfortunately there are a couple of problems that prevent this from working:

1. The regular app is always minimized to a card when switching back from exhibition mode.

2. The previous exhibition mode app (not Apollo) is always selected when returning to exhibition mode.

and the one that really prevents it from working:

3. If Apollo is selected as the exhibition mode app while already already running in the background, the screen reverts to the previous exhibition mode app after the normal screen timeout period.

Checking over the available settings again, I think the better option is to select the Full interface for exhibition mode instead of the Simple interface.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2012, 01:34 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
So I figured from that description of how it works that the solution to my problem would be to start Apollo as a regular app, then go to exhibition mode and select Apollo as the exhibition mode app. Then if I want to bookmark a song I could just hit the home button to open the regular app without interrupting play. In fact it doesn't interrupt play to switch between exhibition mode and the regular app. Unfortunately there are a couple of problems that prevent this from working:

1. The regular app is always minimized to a card when switching back from exhibition mode.

2. The previous exhibition mode app (not Apollo) is always selected when returning to exhibition mode.

and the one that really prevents it from working:

3. If Apollo is selected as the exhibition mode app while already already running in the background, the screen reverts to the previous exhibition mode app after the normal screen timeout period.

Checking over the available settings again, I think the better option is to select the Full interface for exhibition mode instead of the Simple interface.
A lot of that is mostly stuff we can't really help. We really would if we could, because it is annoying like you said.

If you're in exhibition mode and in the Full exhibition mode, you can tap simple and it'll automatically switch you, although you can't really switch back to full from simple.
Old 06/30/2012, 03:01 AM   #99 (permalink)

Hey Jakeeeee, it's @_kevn_ . I went ahead and meta'd my pre again to 2.1 to clean it up and make some things work again like the camera and in doing so thought i woud try the pre3 version again.

It's working! :-) I have no idea what the problem was with no connection error before but it seems to be solved now. I did get the error once with the TP version but then hit the ok prompt and it started playing a song a few seconds later.

I know all of this is probably too little too late but I thought I'd let ya know. I've run lumberjack a few times but not gotten anything but a warning about dashboard not coming up.

I did see you mention a couple days ago I think it was, a request for people with the app pausing soon after a song starts, to see if they can grab anything from lumberjack. I was having that problem two days ago i think and again got nothing from lumberjack but i was playing it today for probably about two hours with no random pauses.

something else i noticed though was that the title of the station is usually a couple off of what i actually click on. the station plays right but the title of the station is incorrect. i don't remember if it's all the time or just sometimes. i'll recheck in the morning.

I hope some of that helps! I figured this would be a better place to inform you of my findings than blowin' up twitter.

have a great night!

Kevin
kevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2012, 10:46 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
Hey Jakeeeee, it's @_kevn_ . I went ahead and meta'd my pre again to 2.1 to clean it up and make some things work again like the camera and in doing so thought i woud try the pre3 version again.

It's working! :-) I have no idea what the problem was with no connection error before but it seems to be solved now. I did get the error once with the TP version but then hit the ok prompt and it started playing a song a few seconds later.

I know all of this is probably too little too late but I thought I'd let ya know. I've run lumberjack a few times but not gotten anything but a warning about dashboard not coming up.

I did see you mention a couple days ago I think it was, a request for people with the app pausing soon after a song starts, to see if they can grab anything from lumberjack. I was having that problem two days ago i think and again got nothing from lumberjack but i was playing it today for probably about two hours with no random pauses.

something else i noticed though was that the title of the station is usually a couple off of what i actually click on. the station plays right but the title of the station is incorrect. i don't remember if it's all the time or just sometimes. i'll recheck in the morning.

I hope some of that helps! I figured this would be a better place to inform you of my findings than blowin' up twitter.

have a great night!

Kevin
Hi kevin. Yeah I tried replicating the pausing issue and I really didn't see anything. I had it on for a few hours the other day. If anyone has found a way to replicate it I'm sure we can fix it immediately.

I'm glad it's working on the phone! Do you have the Pre 3 version or the Veer version? I bet the Veer version would be more suited to the size of the Pre-/Pre 2.

We know of the station being wrong issue, and I think we know where the issue is, should be fixed in the next version. We have some big announcements coming so that'll all be bundled together.

Tags
enyo, pandora, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0