webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
Like Tree335Likes

Old 02/07/2013, 01:01 AM   #1241 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
Jan - non-availability of French traffic was roundly discussed in the first few pages of this thread) - well guess what? Boom...while testing 2.9 I just noticed that they are now showing up! Yippee!

I checked the Czech Republic...unforunately still nothing for you guys. :-(
You are lucky man where you born... we are always so many steps after the rest of Europe since end of world war II... Only one exception is the political criminality, in this field we are the best.
Old 02/07/2013, 01:13 AM   #1242 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Those problems sounded like those undefined probs i had after a lot of smart caching of tiles with MapToolsPro. I don't know if that would have solved your probs but please Jan be aware that those questions perhaps will be posted here:
Errors indicating a disc write problem

Or are these new AJAX calls completely surrounding the webOS infrastrcture for file downloads?

JTileDownloader works for MapToolPro so it should for future version of GoogleMaps:
JTileDownloader - OpenStreetMap Wiki
L\'Haut-Parleur WebOS: MapTool 0.9.6 on PreCentral, Wikay 1.0.1 in the AppCatalog, Match This! Pro in the AppCatalog
This would also prevent those downloadhistory.db probs.
Nooooooo, damned webOS... I have never knew about this issue, in this filed Im still newbie. The symptoms was exactly the same as mine and I did big area download in MappingTool Pro before.. thousands tiles.

What next? I dont want to release the app if it could be dangerous, even if the issue is on the webOS side.
The tiles are downloaded using system downloadmanager, as mappingtool and the database is growing up....

I have two possibilities:

1) use filemgr service for writing the tiles.. and hope it doesnt touch to the database (but again dependency to filemgr)
2) use MojoDepot database to store the tiles - (but not compatible with MappingTool cache)
Old 02/07/2013, 01:35 AM   #1243 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Jan, could you please put there the latest regular, non "technology preview" 0.2.9 version? Also, I've seen it needs some translations for the new OSM Maps preferences, but the original "resources/en/strings.json" is almost empty (?)
Hi, as I said, the latest 0.2.9 is still in Preware, and sources on Github. Or do you prefer some other storage?

Quote:

How did you achieve that? Were you able to get device's orientation, and apply a simple norm?
I can get 4 device orientations using Mojo framework, for phone devices only, on TP doesnt work

Quote:
These are going to be sweet! I loved the map rotation, but quit using it because of the rotated markers. How did you isolate them from the main map tiles?
They cant be isolated.. but I applied anti-rotating stuff, they are rotated opossite to the map angle. The hardest task was to get them, but this task I had to do for smooth zoom before

Quote:

I should check out this app too, I think I had it in my original Pre long ago. Is there any tool to ease map downloading, like Navit has?
As Gizmo21 wrote in previous post - use MappinTool or Tiledownloader... but be carefull in scope of the database issue on webOS...
Old 02/07/2013, 07:52 AM   #1244 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
Nooooooo, damned webOS... I have never knew about this issue, in this filed Im still newbie. The symptoms was exactly the same as mine and I did big area download in MappingTool Pro before.. thousands tiles.

What next? I dont want to release the app if it could be dangerous, even if the issue is on the webOS side.
The tiles are downloaded using system downloadmanager, as mappingtool and the database is growing up....

I have two possibilities:

1) use filemgr service for writing the tiles.. and hope it doesnt touch to the database (but again dependency to filemgr)
2) use MojoDepot database to store the tiles - (but not compatible with MappingTool cache)
Well i can't say if it is a common situation and perhaps this /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db is deleting itself usually (but i can't tell that for sure). Deleting it by hand never gave me troubles though.
Perhaps asking the pros in the webos-internals IRC channel will bring some light into this.

Hmm i'm sorry that this causes so much trouble, but at least a warning by enabling the caching should be there and a helping link how to delete the cache .db if symptoms arise would be good in help.
Most people having troubles of this kind won't even think that this was caused by a large tile download and perhaps straight go to the doctor, but this is not needed is this certain case, sadly most symptomes are vague. So a notification on enabling caching will at least inform users that this could be happening in the future of use.
Old 02/07/2013, 08:38 AM   #1245 (permalink)

Quote:
You are lucky man where you born... we are always so many steps after the rest of Europe since end of world war II... Only one exception is the political criminality, in this field we are the best.
I was born in the US. Wife was born here in France. But yes, I'm lucky - lucky that you are out there developing for us, and lucky that Google "forgave" the French.The stupid french courts fined Google Maps over 500 thousand euros for establishing a monopoly position in France...by making Maps free.

Thanks again...with traffic, my Pre3 is doubly more useful. Now if I can only find a way to fix this 403 error I'm getting from App Tuckerbox feeds so I can load perfectly good paid (already purchased) and free apps from the App Catalog that were never listed for the Pre 3.
Old 02/08/2013, 05:36 AM   #1246 (permalink)

Yesterday, I ran my usual test driving home from work, on the latest 0.2.9 "technology preview" version.
It ate a third of my battery in forty five minutes, and that was expected.

Funny behaviour: Remember Jan said that, when rotating map, other elemts, such as markers, will not be rotated? Be amazed because, when map rotation is OFF, markers ARE rotated! It seems that counter-rotation code is called also in not rotation scenarios...

Of course, with map rotation enabled, markers get their counter-rotation pill, and they show up always straight, wich is a great achievement.

Pity that, in the end, I went back to non rotating maps. Just because it's too jumpy: I could easily see the whole thing flash upside down for a split second. Also, it was funny seing the arrow progressing sideways on the road.

Could you thing about some way of ignoring a heading readout, when it's obviously false? For example, if current heading is +/- 30 than the last one, it can't be possible. Of course, that amount should relate to speed. I mean, turning ninety degrees in a second is possible, if you are walking. But faster, it's not, so it must be a spike in the heading readout.

Many systems on other devices give this kind of "filtered" heading readouts, to solve the "jumping compass" issue.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: 72ka
Old 02/08/2013, 01:10 PM   #1247 (permalink)

I too experienced the jumpy compass while out driving today, and I've also seen it while just sitting on my sofa. It appears to have something to do with changing precision of the location. As the measurement gets better or worse the reported position can jump around and it makes it look like you are moving quickly in random directions, even if you are sitting still or moving in a straight line at constant speed.

PS: the speed of the panning in the tech preview is so excellent!
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 07:14 AM   #1248 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Funny behaviour: Remember Jan said that, when rotating map, other elemts, such as markers, will not be rotated? Be amazed because, when map rotation is OFF, markers ARE rotated! It seems that counter-rotation code is called also in not rotation scenarios...

Could you thing about some way of ignoring a heading readout, when it's obviously false? For example, if current heading is +/- 30 than the last one, it can't be possible. Of course, that amount should relate to speed. I mean, turning ninety degrees in a second is possible, if you are walking. But faster, it's not, so it must be a spike in the heading readout.

Many systems on other devices give this kind of "filtered" heading readouts, to solve the "jumping compass" issue.
Oooooops! Thank you, I never tried the non-rotated maps for the last month - so Im apologize, hadnt enough time to test all the things deeply, but this was reason to release only this TP. I have to check it and fix it.

About the heading, at this time is not much filtered, it is only arithmetic mean from the last two values, it means, if the one of the two values is very different, the result is very different too... the hint to speed dependency is very good... this could be very helpful.

The "bad" news is, that I succeeded in touchscreen driver on my openwebOS tablet and I cant concentrate to other things how am I excited thus, please wait some days for google maps fix... but please continue in testing
Old 02/11/2013, 07:28 AM   #1249 (permalink)

Quote:
Oooooops! Thank you, I never tried the non-rotated maps for the last month
Nevermind, you have achieved much more important things!

Quote:
About the heading, at this time is not much filtered, it is only arithmetic mean from the last two values, it means, if the one of the two values is very different, the result is very different too... the hint to speed dependency is very good... this could be very helpful.
Great, let's see if you can finally squash that heading hiccup!

Quote:
The "bad" news is, that I succeeded in touchscreen driver on my openwebOS tablet and I cant concentrate to other things how am I excited
That's exciting indeed! It's been long since I last heard about your progress in that front. As far as I know, there's nobody else going into such low level (read: driver) affairs in webOS, am I right?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 02/12/2013, 06:51 AM   #1250 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Weird... today morning I tried the trip with rotated/non-rotated maps, all worked well, the markes was always in the right orientation. The heading was strong enough etc...

Marcos, can you give me exactly how to avoid the rotated markers when map si not rotated?

Second, looks like your GPS signal is quite weak, maybe you have some metal layer inside your windscreen, my car not.
Old 02/12/2013, 10:12 AM   #1251 (permalink)

Quote:
Weird... today morning I tried the trip with rotated/non-rotated maps, all worked well, the markes was always in the right orientation. The heading was strong enough etc... Marcos, can you give me exactly how to avoid the rotated markers when map si not rotated?
Oh, thanks. Strange, that strange behaviour with heading was immediately obvious. I'll try again tomorrow, when I come to the office by car. I'd love to do heading testing by foot, but I fear I don't reach the required minimum speed!

Bu the way, you also had no "jumpy" heading either?

Quote:
looks like your GPS signal is quite weak, maybe you have some metal layer inside your windscreen, my car not.
Interesting. But I fear I wouldn't be able to solve that! I could do a test on my motorcycle, where the device is completely open air (except being beneath a thin transparent plastic). How can I tell how accurate is my GPS data?

Old 02/13/2013, 02:01 AM   #1252 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Marcos, can you give me exactly how to avoid the rotated markers when map si not rotated?
I'll try again tomorrow, when I come to the office by car.
And so I did. Had the same jumpy heading as always, and I'm starting to fear that my GPS reception in the car is rather poor. But it follows the map throughly, it seems the problem is with heading mainly - I could see the map tumble upside down quite a few times, even if going on a perfectly straight line at a certain speed.

About rotated markers when map itself is not rotated: It seems it affects the route indications markers, which I saw slightly rotated: The route finish marker, wich is different (it has that pin, and functionality when you tap it) is perfectly straight. The other day I saw extremely rotated markers some times, but it must have been because the route wasn't as "northish" as today's.

I was about to do a screenshot, but your app captures the keyboard in such a a way that it's not possible: Upon pressing "Symbol+Shift+P" the search bar comes up. The screenshot is taken, right after that, but it shows just the top left quarter of the screen, zoomed to occupy a full screen. Funny!

Old 02/27/2013, 09:33 PM   #1253 (permalink)

wonderful work on this app. Great to see work still on going in the webOS preware world. Does this app work with google latitude?
syeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 08:51 PM   #1254 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

what it's over a month since jan's last post? (the little one is eating up your time, or did the flu catch you like everyone here in "EU-land").

Well whatever, but after you manage to get out the caching/speed update-release, you need more to-dos? So here are some suggestions from iOS update 1.1.

Quote:
In 1.1, users can search saved addresses of contacts from within the app, as well as browse by a variety of categories -- food, coffee, drinks, gas, post offices, hotels, grocery stores, pharmacies, movie theaters, malls, hospitals, atms, and attractions are all choosable
Old 03/06/2013, 01:45 AM   #1255 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I was in contact with Jan via PM, he's caught up in projects at work for the moment and has not much time for development now. I'm sure we'll hear from him again once he gets some more time on his hands
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by gizmo21, jcmarcos
Old 03/12/2013, 05:03 AM   #1256 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I was in contact with Jan via PM, he's caught up in projects at work for the moment and has not much time for development now. I'm sure we'll hear from him again once he gets some more time on his hands
Exactly, thank you.. so every day Im exhausted and I have not any time free for anything else than work.... but it is temporary, at the end of March Ill come back to active development - to update Google Maps and wInNeR. About the future of openWebOS port on my tablet, Im quite disappointed by the LG who bought owos division... Im not sure if it not a wasting of time.
Old 03/12/2013, 05:07 AM   #1257 (permalink)

Quote:
every day Im exhausted and I have not any time free for anything else than work
Given the huge amount of energy you've showed us many times, that statement looks worrying!

Quote:
at the end of March Ill come back to active development
Let me be selfish, and say that that's great to hear!

Quote:
About the future of openWebOS port on my tablet, Im quite disappointed by the LG who bought owos division... Im not sure if it not a wasting of time.
I don't understand, you mean that the LG aquisition can render your efforts useless? I can't see why...

Old 03/12/2013, 05:18 AM   #1258 (permalink)

Frankly, I can't imagine a "smart" TV without AT LEAST a Maps app. LG would be foolish to overlook your work, Jan.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 03/19/2013, 06:20 PM   #1259 (permalink)

Hi there, thanks for this great app!! I noticed an issue though: if I'm using my web browser and click on a Google Maps link (for directions, a location, etc.), the device defaults to opening the dead Goggle Maps App, and of course, that's not good. Is there a patch available that will allow the browser to direct us to your Google Maps App when clicking a link?
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 12:28 AM   #1260 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Is there a patch available that will allow the browser to direct us to your Google Maps App when clicking a link?
I don't know if this will help, but if you look at your JustType preferences, does it show Google Maps under Launch&Seach?
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0