webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
Like Tree335Likes

Old 01/24/2013, 01:05 AM   #1221 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Is the second toggle primarily for use if you also have MapTool installed and use it (and therefore may have cached tiles already in it)? The tiles would then be shared between the two apps? I confess I haven't been following the thread as very close recently, so I apologize if you already explained it.
Exactly. The cache directory structure is the same and why to doubling it. If you can use MappingTool cache, only be sure if you have set the Mapnik renderer, otherwise the tiles are in different style.
Old 01/24/2013, 01:42 AM   #1222 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Jan sorry to bug again. There is an option "multiple map folders" in MapToolPro which stores Mapnik tiles in:
/media/internal/.MapTool/mapnik/1-20
instead of
media/internal/.MapTool/1-20

the sad thing is when changing to this option the old flat structure is not deleted, so there could be tiles in both and you can't see which option is active. As it's perhaps a very rare case it would be ok if i knew where to change the path in your code.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 05:40 AM   #1223 (permalink)

Sorry for disturbing but... Today I've realized I have the GPS icon grayed out, inactive. So I thought that, perhaps, I was still using the latest "technology preview" ("TP") 0.2.9 version, as found on your site. So I went to GitHub, expecting regular 0.2.9 version you released there. But it stops at 0.2.8. Nevermind, I've downloaded and installed it, but it reports itself as 0.2.9 (?) and... My GPS icon is still grayed out.

Can it be that I've not actually gone back to 0.2.8? Is there really a publicly available, non "TP" 0.2.9? Should I uninstall 0.2.9, and then 0.2.8?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 01:20 AM   #1224 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Jan sorry to bug again. There is an option "multiple map folders" in MapToolPro which stores Mapnik tiles in:
/media/internal/.MapTool/mapnik/1-20
instead of
media/internal/.MapTool/1-20

the sad thing is when changing to this option the old flat structure is not deleted, so there could be tiles in both and you can't see which option is active. As it's perhaps a very rare case it would be ok if i knew where to change the path in your code.
Hmmm... sounds complicated, what about to remove the toggle button and add just a text field with custom path?
Old 01/25/2013, 01:33 AM   #1225 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Sorry for disturbing but... Today I've realized I have the GPS icon grayed out, inactive. So I thought that, perhaps, I was still using the latest "technology preview" ("TP") 0.2.9 version, as found on your site. So I went to GitHub, expecting regular 0.2.9 version you released there. But it stops at 0.2.8. Nevermind, I've downloaded and installed it, but it reports itself as 0.2.9 (?) and... My GPS icon is still grayed out.

Can it be that I've not actually gone back to 0.2.8? Is there really a publicly available, non "TP" 0.2.9? Should I uninstall 0.2.9, and then 0.2.8?
Hi Marcos, sounds strange... I donīt know why you canīt get a fix. On Github is the latest 0.2.8 since then the uploads was canceled. If you are looking for latest public release, you can always download from here http://www.webosnation.com/app/downl...ogle-maps-72ka where is still regular 0.2.9. If your troubles still persist, I recommend you uninstall, delete the folder
Code:
/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/application/cz.72ka.googlemaps
and install the regular 0.2.9 again. Good to know, you loose your settings...

Anyway, if you can view the app debug log, just install the app Lumberjack from Preware, launch it, select Google Maps from list and set Follow mode, then launch Google Maps and save the log from Lumberjack and send to me.
Old 01/25/2013, 02:31 AM   #1226 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
Quote:
I have the GPS icon grayed out, inactive. I've downloaded and installed 0.2.8, but it reports itself as 0.2.9 (?) and... My GPS icon is still grayed out. Can it be that I've not actually gone back to 0.2.8? Is there really a publicly available, non "TP" 0.2.9? Should I uninstall 0.2.9, and then 0.2.8?
Hi Marcos, sounds strange... I donīt know why you canīt get a fix.
I never saw the GPS button disabled in your app. Does it check if GPS fix is available, and if it's not, then it disables the button?

Quote:
On Github is the latest 0.2.8 since then the uploads was canceled.
Sure, I remember that. It's a pity, but I guess GitHub got abused i that area, and shut it down.

Quote:
If you are looking for latest public release, you can always download from here http://www.webosnation.com/app/downl...ogle-maps-72ka where is still regular 0.2.9. If your troubles still persist, I recommend you uninstall, delete the folder
Code:
/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/application/cz.72ka.googlemaps
and install the regular 0.2.9 again. Good to know, you loose your settings...
Oh, I didn't know it was also hosted in webOSNation. I've downloaded "cz.72ka.googlemaps_0.2.9_all.ipk" (after an unexplainable login problem, nevermind), and prior to install it, I uninstalled the existing version the normal way, from the launcher. Then, I went to Internalz, to assure that that folder in "cryptofs" got killed. It didn't, but it's almost empty, it just contains a single "fuse" file that can't be deleted. But for sure, your app is gone. Reinstalled with the freshly downloaded 0.2.9 version, and realized that my preferences are gone, which is fine and expected. But the GPS icon is still grayed out.

Quote:
You can view the app debug log, just install the app Lumberjack from Preware, launch it, select Google Maps from list and set Follow mode, then launch Google Maps and save the log from Lumberjack and send to me.
Wow, I've never used Lumberjack before, amazing app! But it shows NOTHING from your app! See, I have those "muffle system logging" patches, and perhaps that explains it. But, if I ask Lumberjack to show logs of everything, I can see things from "powerd", "lunasysmgr" and the like. So it's not completely silent.

So no follow GPS for mi, still... Could you tell me what condition disables the GPS button in your app?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 01/25/2013, 03:20 AM   #1227 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
So no follow GPS for mi, still... Could you tell me what condition disables the GPS button in your app?
Hi, since 0.2.8 is GPS button disabled, until GPS initiate a first fix. see changelog. If the button is disabled, your location services doesnīt work. Have you tried with another location app?

In the debug log you have to see ** FIRST GPS FIX *** if not, the fix failed and report into the log "startTracking failure, results=" and the error code and more info...

If lumberjack doesnīt work for you, you have to install novacomd, then connect your device to usb and Just Charge, then open command shell (cmd in Windows) and type:

Code:
palm-log --system-log-level info
palm-log -f cz.72ka.googlemaps
And launch the google maps on the phone.

Muffle login may strip all the Info logs, because my logs are set always as Info, you canīt see them... probably.
Old 01/25/2013, 03:54 AM   #1228 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Hmmm... sounds complicated, what about to remove the toggle button and add just a text field with custom path?
Great with a standard value inside and a small helptext beneath it. Nice and very flexible solution.
Old 01/25/2013, 03:58 AM   #1229 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Just as info, to force a GPS fix the app "GPS Fix" by James Harris does a great job.
Old 01/25/2013, 04:22 AM   #1230 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Just as info, to force a GPS fix the app "GPS Fix" by James Harris does a great job.
Thanks Gizmo, but I use the plain inbuilt GPS diagnostic application (the one you open dialling "*#GPS*").

Quote:
Hi, since 0.2.8 is GPS button disabled, until GPS initiate a first fix. see changelog.
Ouch! That was it: I already suspected it so, as soon as I got outside the office, I got a GPS fix and then, of course, the GPS icon is available and all working. Could you make your app activate GPS by itself, and leave it as it was upon exit?

Quote:
In the debug log you have to see ** FIRST GPS FIX *** if not, the fix failed and report into the log "startTracking failure, results=" and the error code and more info. Muffle login may strip all the Info logs, because my logs are set always as Info, you canīt see them... probably.
Probably, yes, But, as you can see in the attached screenshot, I do see "info" messages in Lumberjack. Nevermind. By the way, what do you think about muffling system logging? Too little performance gained at the expense of loosing basic diagnostic information?
Attached Images
File Type: png lumberjack_2013-25-01_111724.png (129.9 KB, 28 views) Email Attachment

Old 02/03/2013, 05:23 AM   #1231 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just to inform all, I have new issues around OSM map caching, looks like the bunch of ajax requests and downloads makes some troubles with my Pre 3. I'm still working on it, I have to be absolutly sure that the app is stable before release it. So, please be patient. I know it is extremely long time without updates.... but the 0.0.3 will be big step.

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Old 02/04/2013, 02:38 AM   #1232 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

OK, not to be scared .. looks like the troubles with my Pre3 caused so many patches, software and mainly the optware with installed transmission torrent client - because from this time my Pre3 was started be unstable, then alarm clock failed some mornings and sometimes drained battery in one hour...
Thus I decided to perform webOS Doctor, now I have clean device and installed Google Maps and wInNeR... Iīll see.
Old 02/04/2013, 02:56 AM   #1233 (permalink)

Quote:
Looks like the troubles with my Pre3 caused so many patches, software and mainly the optware with installed transmission torrent client
OK, glad you have a trustable device back. But... a torrent client on a phone? That's nuts! :-)

Old 02/04/2013, 05:39 AM   #1234 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
OK, glad you have a trustable device back. But... a torrent client on a phone? That's nuts! :-)
I was outside of home and really needed some PDF document available on the torrents (donīt ask me which document .. then I was surprised that webos can do this. Installed optware, transmission daemon, terminal emulator. Then connected using browser to localhost to transmission remote gui and it worked!

OK. back to maps. I finally canceled the filemgr service dependency, now I use pure javascript ajax call to check if the Navit is installed and as part of new OSM map caching. This other components independency could allow me to submit this app to appcatalog and I really thinking about it.
Old 02/04/2013, 07:48 AM   #1235 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The API is still expanding in the features. Just added small, but useful info of the place, price level. In four levels, based on user ratings of this place...
Attached Images
File Type: png pricelevel.PNG (38.4 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
Old 02/06/2013, 07:55 AM   #1236 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, just updated the 0.2.9 Technology preview, who wants to try it, you can found it here again:

http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/maps/c..._0.2.9_all.ipk

Look to changelog and try the new features.. it is almost done, tested on my Pre3 well.

You can write here some feelings about it... I hope it is significantly faster than any other previous version.

Then I have to finalize the options for map caching path... now it supports only my own local path or mappingTool Pro path.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 02/06/2013, 08:05 AM   #1237 (permalink)

Works great on my Pre 3. OSM and all. It's quite fast.
This is becoming so much more. Perhaps you should change the name to "Google Maps...AND BEYOND" ;-)
Old 02/06/2013, 08:13 AM   #1238 (permalink)

Jan - non-availability of French traffic was roundly discussed in the first few pages of this thread) - well guess what? Boom...while testing 2.9 I just noticed that they are now showing up! Yippee!

I checked the Czech Republic...unforunately still nothing for you guys. :-(
Old 02/06/2013, 08:15 AM   #1239 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, just updated the 0.2.9 Technology preview, who wants to try it, you can found it here again:

http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/maps/c..._0.2.9_all.ipk
Jan, could you please put there the latest regular, non "technology preview" 0.2.9 version? Also, I've seen it needs some translations for the new OSM Maps preferences, but the original "resources/en/strings.json" is almost empty (?)

Quote:
Look to changelog and try the new features
Already drooling at these:

Quote:

•New custom map pan and zoom - focused on performance
•Overall performance tweaks
That was already impressive in the previous "TP" version.

Quote:
•Fixed compass needle orientation for all device orientations
How did you achieve that? Were you able to get device's orientation, and apply a simple norm?

Quote:
•Compass rose is rotated while map is rotated in follow mode
•Follow mode centered bottom for velocity > 10km/h
•Markers and bubbles are not rotated when follow mode and map rotate is activated
These are going to be sweet! I loved the map rotation, but quit using it because of the rotated markers. How did you isolate them from the main map tiles?

Quote:
•OSM smart caching - tiles are saved to local storage for future use
That will be great, in the quest for an offline map application. Pity Google prohibits caching their tiles, I don't know how that can do any good on them. Actually, if caching, you would put less stress on them.

Quote:
•Possibility to share the offline tiles with MappingTool
I should check out this app too, I think I had it in my original Pre long ago. Is there any tool to ease map downloading, like Navit has?

Quote:
•Cancelled FileMgr dependency
Again you show that, even if a thing is working, you are determined to replace it if you can do better (quit depending on external software). That's class.

Quote:
•Decreased the marker size
Is there any contest, givin a price to anyone that finds any detail you haven't looked into?

Last edited by jcmarcos; 02/06/2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02/06/2013, 11:23 AM   #1240 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
OK, not to be scared .. looks like the troubles with my Pre3 caused so many patches, software and mainly the optware with installed transmission torrent client - because from this time my Pre3 was started be unstable, then alarm clock failed some mornings and sometimes drained battery in one hour...
Thus I decided to perform webOS Doctor, now I have clean device and installed Google Maps and wInNeR... Iīll see.
Those problems sounded like those undefined probs i had after a lot of smart caching of tiles with MapToolsPro. I don't know if that would have solved your probs but please Jan be aware that those questions perhaps will be posted here:
Errors indicating a disc write problem

Or are these new AJAX calls completely surrounding the webOS infrastrųcture for file downloads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos
I should check out this app too, I think I had it in my original Pre long ago. Is there any tool to ease map downloading, like Navit has?
JTileDownloader works for MapToolPro so it should for future version of GoogleMaps:
JTileDownloader - OpenStreetMap Wiki
L\'Haut-Parleur ŧ WebOS: MapTool 0.9.6 on PreCentral, Wikay 1.0.1 in the AppCatalog, Match This! Pro in the AppCatalog
This would also prevent those downloadhistory.db probs.
Thanked By: jcmarcos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0