Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 11 515657585960616263646566 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1502
Like Tree391Likes
  1. #1201  
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    Wow, on my Veer the only issue i dont like is the app smoothness. Hope it will be really faster with the next release
    First of all I would like to thank you for this great app!!
    Then, do you think you could ever consider the possibility to develop even google earth app for the touchpad?? (Something similar to the ipad one?)
  2. BenL's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #1202  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hi, bad news for you, although the last tiles are in cache, the whole API not (no legal way to cache it),
    If it is not legal to cache Google's tiles, can you cache OSM tiles?
    Last edited by BenL; 01/11/2013 at 09:41 PM.
  3.    #1203  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    If it is not legal to cache Google's tiles, can you cache OSM tiles?
    Hi, this is just a one secret what I have in ToDo for 2013 Answer is YES, I can make a function for tiles storing to database... we share the same idea and now it is not a secret

    Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    jcmarcos likes this.
  4.    #1204  
    Quote Originally Posted by pietromx View Post
    First of all I would like to thank you for this great app!!
    Then, do you think you could ever consider the possibility to develop even google earth app for the touchpad?? (Something similar to the ipad one?)
    Your welcome. About google earth, is there some free sources and API? I think this couldn't be possible, google earth is closed source native app, uses openGL or directX on windows.

    Anyway, yesterday i tested my new app wInNeR ported to Enyo 2, I'm falling in love to Enyo 2, because I bundled the framework with application, and it works on webOS 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, desktop Linux, desktop Windows and on my Android tablet as well. Included some webos compatibility libraries it handles screen orientation and backswipe too. More, I can use Mojo functions. Disadvantage is that Mojo is significantly faster on webOS phones than Enyo, mainly scroller performance. But the future is Enyo 2, I think it can run on new FirefoxOS or Ubuntu for phones as well.

    Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    jcmarcos likes this.
  5. BenL's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #1205  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hi, this is just a one secret what I have in ToDo for 2013 Answer is YES, I can make a function for tiles storing to database... we share the same idea and now it is not a secret
    Cool. I'll look forward to that.

    A related idea that I thought of last night, is the option of installing a base set of tiles of the entire planet (perhaps 1cm = 500km?), so when you're on a long plane trip and no internet access you can see where you are. (I have no idea how much space that would take up).
  6. #1206  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hi, this is just a one secret what I have in ToDo for 2013 Answer is YES, I can make a function for tiles storing to database... we share the same idea and now it is not a secret

    Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
    Just for your info MapTool Pro adds an directory /media/internals/.MapTool/<OSM-Layer name>/<zoomlevel>/<tilenumberdir>/<tilenumber>.png

    For me this dir has a size of 1.65GB and i'm not traveling that much.
    So is that possible in a database?
    Could it perhaps be possible to share one directory with both apps (i know not that easy for bug tracking at users)?

    Btw. MapTool Pro has a build-in maptile downloader: Save maps for offline use with MapTool Pro | webOS Nation and there is an desktop jtiledownloader: L\'Haut-Parleur ŧ WebOS: MapTool 0.9.6 on PreCentral, Wikay 1.0.1 in the AppCatalog, Match This! Pro in the AppCatalog

    And some more info, what can happen downloading many files
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3206263
  7. #1207  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Cool. I'll look forward to that.

    A related idea that I thought of last night, is the option of installing a base set of tiles of the entire planet (perhaps 1cm = 500km?), so when you're on a long plane trip and no internet access you can see where you are. (I have no idea how much space that would take up).
    at OSM zoom size 5 (400-1000km cm) it will be about 20MB+. But in lower ones there are only 1-16 files.
    Tirex/Overview - OpenStreetMap Wiki
  8.    #1208  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Just for your info MapTool Pro adds an directory /media/internals/.MapTool/<OSM-Layer name>/<zoomlevel>/<tilenumberdir>/<tilenumber>.png

    Could it perhaps be possible to share one directory with both apps (i know not that easy for bug tracking at users)?
    Wow... i really like this idea! It could be easy for me just to check if the tile is available on this path and load it from there, otherwise use the online tile.... why to have two big databases, right.
    Sure only for devices with FileMgr service, but FileMgr is must have service for each webOS user.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  9.    #1209  
    Hi,

    I tried to use MapTool Pro tiles cache as source in Google Maps... worked for the first try, very nice!

    The issue what I have to resolve, is the "smart cache" ... I tried make check if the tile exist in cache or not, it works.. but the filemgr or ajax call is asynchronous and thats the problem. The Google tile url getter needs the respond synchronized.

    Thus, at this time, I can only switch between online or offline tiles.... I have to found some solution how to do the "smart caching"

    Smart caching means to get from offline first and the online if doesnīt exist and then save them for offline use.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  10. #1210  
    So i assume Metaview (dev of MapTool Pro) has no issue with it, cause he only uses OSM and no google tile getter involved?
    Else you could ask him for some support, even if he perhaps has some not so good feelings about your free and his paid app. But you could do some cross advertise as his app is still number one in OSM (different tile servers and downloader) and GPX track recording and track viewing field. [/ advertise off]
  11. #1211  
    Hi 72ka,

    I am beta-testing zhepree's new version of neato. In case you do not know it, it is an app that allows you to send text/links from one device to another. e.g. from the webbrowser to the phone or touchpad (and the new version is even cross-platform, supporting android and IOS).

    Apparently when the old/original version of Google Maps was present on the devices before it was replaced with Bing maps, there were URL triggers, that fired up the Google Maps app when a Google Maps URL was received. When I send such an URL to my Pre3 now, all that opens is the Google Maps page in the browser.

    Would it be possible for you to include such URL triggers in you app? That would be awesome!
  12.    #1212  
    Quote Originally Posted by ginpre View Post
    Hi 72ka,

    I am beta-testing zhepree's new version of neato. In case you do not know it, it is an app that allows you to send text/links from one device to another. e.g. from the webbrowser to the phone or touchpad (and the new version is even cross-platform, supporting android and IOS).

    Apparently when the old/original version of Google Maps was present on the devices before it was replaced with Bing maps, there were URL triggers, that fired up the Google Maps app when a Google Maps URL was received. When I send such an URL to my Pre3 now, all that opens is the Google Maps page in the browser.

    Would it be possible for you to include such URL triggers in you app? That would be awesome!
    Hi, sounds good. I already started this thing to do... but stopped it for other more important things. It was mentioned before some posts. Now the app canīt set the default URI handler, the system have to call it directly - like Just type do. But, can you reproduce for me the steps how can I test it?
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  13.    #1213  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    So i assume Metaview (dev of MapTool Pro) has no issue with it, cause he only uses OSM and no google tile getter involved?
    Else you could ask him for some support, even if he perhaps has some not so good feelings about your free and his paid app. But you could do some cross advertise as his app is still number one in OSM (different tile servers and downloader) and GPX track recording and track viewing field. [/ advertise off]
    Looks like maptool stores the tile availability to variable, then the state is immediatelly available... But this way is nod good for me, it will need to scan all the file structure on app start.

    Second issue.. the MapTool use tiles with different style.. if my app use MapTool tiles and other default styled tiles, then the map looks horrible

    Conclusion... the best way could be the own directory with tiles only for my app, with variable containing their availability.

    OR just switch between online map and offline MapTool pro map...

    But... Iīm still trying to get managed this using more elegant way...
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  14.    #1214  
    BINGO! I found the most elegant way how to do smart caching! If some thing canīt do from front... you can always to try it from back and this is the right way now

    Instead of check if the tile is in cache and then make decision to load cached or online tile, what is impossible with async call, I just at first set hard path to all tiles from cache. If the tile is in cache, it shows and vice versa. Then I do the check if the tile is in cache and if not, the tile is downloaded on the background and at the same time, I change the same tile source path to online path and the tile is refreshed. All this can be asynchronous and works well. Only it tooks a bit longer to show uncached tiles, but cached tiles are loaded immediatelly and thats the point.

    It was a hard work, because for direct acces to tile div, I had to rewrite all the OSM background (again) from ImageMapType to CustomMapType...

    It is sooooo neat to have offline tiles... sadly that this canīt be done with Google tiles, but thatīs the terms.

    EDIT: just added the floppy disc icon for tiles, which are downloading for user information until the tile is saved
    Last edited by 72ka; 01/23/2013 at 04:12 AM.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    jcmarcos, T-Pad, virox and 1 others like this.
  15. #1215  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    BINGO! I found the most elegant way how to do smart caching!
    Congratulations! By the way, yesterday I discovered you were also into music some time go. Also, that you, you consider yourself an "INTJ", which I didn't have an idea of what it was, but after some reading, I think I am too!

    Cheers!

    (what a great place this is!)
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

    Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  16.    #1216  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Congratulations! By the way, yesterday I discovered you were also into music some time go. Also, that you, you consider yourself an "INTJ", which I didn't have an idea of what it was, but after some reading, I think I am too!

    Cheers!

    (what a great place this is!)
    Ha funny, itīs not me! My name is Jan Heřman, not Jan Hermann. Just similar names...
    I hope that nobody canīt find any info about my person, because Iīm always trying to protect my personality, it means, no social networks, no photos, no info about my relatives. I use internet as tool, not as book where I can save everything about me.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  17. #1217  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    itīs not me! My name is Jan Heřman, not Jan Hermann. Just similar names...
    But same country! Indeed it's funny... Sure, I' was convinced it was you. How silly of me!

    Iīm always trying to protect my personality, it means, no social networks, no photos, no info about my relatives. I use internet as tool, not as book where I can save everything about me.
    I fully agree. No social network at all for me, but not to protect myself, but because I consider them a waste of time. For example, this forum can be considered a social network... But here there is a concrete INTEREST in something, not just endless streams of party photos and greetings-a-go-go.

    By the way, the other day I discovered that, actually, I'm on Facebook: There's a guy there whose name is exactly the same as mine. So now I can finally end discussion with my friends as why I'm not on Facebook: Because I'm already!

    PUBS are the social network. For anything else, there's e-mail.

    (by the way, if somebody finds this too personal and off topic, I can delete my last two posts)
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

    Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  18.    #1218  
    OK, decided to add two toggle buttons. One for general enable of OSM smart caching, and second to use my own cache (in /media/internal/.cz.72ka.googlemaps) or use MappingTool cache. I think this is good enough for anybody...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    jcmarcos likes this.
  19. #1219  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    OK, decided to add two toggle buttons. One for general enable of OSM smart caching, and second to use my own cache (in /media/internal/.cz.72ka.googlemaps) or use MappingTool cache. I think this is good enough for anybody...
    Is the second toggle primarily for use if you also have MapTool installed and use it (and therefore may have cached tiles already in it)? The tiles would then be shared between the two apps? I confess I haven't been following the thread as very close recently, so I apologize if you already explained it.
  20. BenL's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #1220  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    OK, decided to add two toggle buttons. One for general enable of OSM smart caching, and second to use my own cache (in /media/internal/.cz.72ka.googlemaps) or use MappingTool cache. I think this is good enough for anybody...
    I'm looking forward to trying the new version with caching.

Posting Permissions