Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567891011 16 56 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by curumehli View Post
    oh man, this was what we were waiting for.. sounds great.. i'll try with my veer and if it's really functional i would like to donate...
    Hi, try it, but streetview on Veer with WebOS 2.1 makes luna restart.. not dangerous. It is in my todo to resolve this problem... it is the same on my Pre+ with WebOS 2.1 .. looks like the WebOS 2.1 have some strange in webkit core...
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hi, try it, but streetview on Veer with WebOS 2.1 makes luna restart.. not dangerous. It is in my todo to resolve this problem... it is the same on my Pre+ with WebOS 2.1 .. looks like the WebOS 2.1 have some strange in webkit core...
    72ka, i'm really impressed, well done! ..
    maybe it's about the fact that i could never use Google Maps in my new Veer since the useless Bing Maps was forced from beginning, but it seems much faster than the GMaps app in my first gen Pre..

a few notes for improvement, though:
    1- search function seems to be pretty weak and limited to addresses rather than POI records.. for example, after i asked the app to locate me, i would like to search ,say, "starbucks" and find the stores around me, just as we can do in maps in web.

2- after navigating the map visually with zoom- pan etc, and finding the place i want, i wold like to locate that place by and get directions to that place.. (by dropping a pin? etc)

3- why bother putting the zoom in/out buttons (especially for my little Veer, where a single pixel is precious for visibility ) while you can pinch-zoom with multitouch?

4- last but not least: put the "Donate" link in the original post..

IMPORTANT: i totally agree with Rockbeast, all those who are pleased with this app (and especially those like me who were almost leaving the webOS oasis due to the arrogant attitude of HP by imposing useless Bing maps) please support the hard work of 72ka if you want to see it improved..

..a humble 5$ from me
  3.    #103  
    1- search function seems to be pretty weak and limited to addresses rather than POI records.. for example, after i asked the app to locate me, i would like to search ,say, "starbucks" and find the stores around me, just as we can do in maps in web.
    POI's in search is in my ToDo... please wait for it.

2- after navigating the map visually with zoom- pan etc, and finding the place i want, i wold like to locate that place by and get directions to that place.. (by dropping a pin? etc)
    In ToDo... actions on pin (set as Origin, Destination, Queries, etc...)

3- why bother putting the zoom in/out buttons (especially for my little Veer, where a single pixel is precious for visibility ) while you can pinch-zoom with multitouch?
    This is questionable... some people likes the buttons (including me). I think, the best solution will be availability to turn the button off in preferences. Preferences scene is in my ToDo. Thank you for this tip.... some people likes the buttons. I think, the best solution will be availability to turn the button off in preferences. Preferences scene is in my ToDo. Thank you for this hint.

4- last but not least: put the "Donate" link in the original post..

IMPORTANT: i totally agree with Rockbeast, all those who are pleased with this app (and especially those like me who were almost leaving the webOS oasis due to the arrogant attitude of HP by imposing useless Bing maps) please support the hard work of 72ka if you want to see it improved..

..a humble 5$ from me
    Thank you for donation, I do not it for money, but it's very motivating.

At this time, Im working on "Just type" search and calendar event "Show on Map" and "Get Directions" implementation... then the app could be set as default handler for map events in webos, as true replacement of BingMaps. Im very close to release it, I hope tomorrow.
    tovivekmishra likes this.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Great stuff, 72ka! A smartphone platform without a functional maps application simply can't be taken seriously. I have no idea how HP contented themselves with the shoddy Bing app and then left it at that, effectively screwing all customers outside of the US (and Canada?). Although, even with American POIs, the missing streetview is a major omission.

Thank god for your defection from Andoid-land.

Have you thought about repackaging your app under a more personalized name to distinguish it from other similar apps. My suggestion?: The Czech word "Mapy".

It's not foreign for non-Czechs, not too bizarre that you don't know what the app does just by the name, and generic enough that you won't get into trademark troubles (IANAL!).The best part is, if you google "mapy webos", you get nothing...yet. Well Google autocorrects to results for "maps webos".
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    ...Thank god for your defection from Andoid-land.
    ....The best part is, if you google "mapy webos", you get nothing...yet. Well Google autocorrects to results for "maps webos".
    Well...NOW you get a link to this page!

I too am thankful you came over from 'greenland' to our little webOS island of the world.

Hey 72ka, I am worried about your ToDo list. It seems we keep making it longer. I hope we don't give you too much work. Again, I encourage folks to show some support and use the Paypal link in the 'About' menu of the app (or posted somewhere earlier in this thread) to donate some appreciation (read 'cash').

Uh...I'm a little embarrassed, but now I have a request...can you have your app actually DRIVE my car to my destination? This is a feature I have not yet seen with mapping programs, so I think you could really extinguish...I mean distinguish your app from all the others! Of course, first we have to get webOS onto printers, toasters, refrigerators, and THEN automobile computers (a natural progression...) before this can happen...but it could be on your ToDo list...for a new version of your app in the year 2525!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

72, I also like buttons, but i'm in the same boat with my Pixi+. If I can turn them off so I can SEE the map better, then I'm happy.

Maybe put in a GESTURE+B shortcut that will toggle display buttons on and off, and a GESTURE+M to toggle the top menu on and off?
    In my map app I made it so tapping the map once would turn off the buttons and tapping again would turn them back on. That may not be possible given the Google API's map interactions.
  8.    #108  
    Have you thought about repackaging your app under a more personalized name to distinguish it from other similar apps. My suggestion?: The Czech word "Mapy".

It's not foreign for non-Czechs, not too bizarre that you don't know what the app does just by the name, and generic enough that you won't get into trademark troubles (IANAL!).The best part is, if you google "mapy webos", you get nothing...yet. Well Google autocorrects to results for "maps webos".
    Hi, Im not sure... I think that "Google Maps" is not a trademark, but Im not well oriented in legal issues... I hate them By the way, changing the name is everytime possible.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Well...NOW you get a link to this page!

I too am thankful you came over from 'greenland' to our little webOS island of the world.

Hey 72ka, I am worried about your ToDo list. It seems we keep making it longer. I hope we don't give you too much work. Again, I encourage folks to show some support and use the Paypal link in the 'About' menu of the app (or posted somewhere earlier in this thread) to donate some appreciation (read 'cash').
    Thank you! My ToDo list is quite long.. youre right... but I have more ToDo lists... mainly Im waiting for baby birth in this month and second Im building a house... and in this look isnt it so long developing Google Maps is my hobby, if I have a free time, lets coding.

Uh...I'm a little embarrassed, but now I have a request...can you have your app actually DRIVE my car to my destination? This is a feature I have not yet seen with mapping programs, so I think you could really extinguish...I mean distinguish your app from all the others! Of course, first we have to get webOS onto printers, toasters, refrigerators, and THEN automobile computers (a natural progression...) before this can happen...but it could be on your ToDo list...for a new version of your app in the year 2525!
    It is a great idea! But Im affraid for updated map data source... in my country sometimes the map shows a road, that is blocked by concrete barrier or even doesnt exist I see the TV news in year 2525, dozens car wrecks in the same place and Google says: "We apologize for any inconvenience"
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    72, I also like buttons, but i'm in the same boat with my Pixi+. If I can turn them off so I can SEE the map better, then I'm happy.

Maybe put in a GESTURE+B shortcut that will toggle display buttons on and off, and a GESTURE+M to toggle the top menu on and off?
    These gestures is really good idea... and, I will add to the preferences fullscreen mode.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    These gestures is really good idea... and, I will add to the preferences fullscreen mode.
    Excellent!

May I make another suggestion? Can the app remember what layers we had on last time? For instance, I like using Hybrid layers with Traffic turned on. Every time I close and re-open the app, I have to again select Hybrid layers and then turn Traffic back on.
  12.    #112  
    Excellent!

May I make another suggestion? Can the app remember what layers we had on last time? For instance, I like using Hybrid layers with Traffic turned on. Every time I close and re-open the app, I have to again select Hybrid layers and then turn Traffic back on.
    It is possible... when I implement the preferences and cookies. Now I released the 0.0.8.
    And next task for me is to completely rewrite the directions, and I have some ideas to improve UI. This 0.0.8 version will be probably the last for long time than usually.

Your suggestion is added toToDo.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    @72ka: No more daily +0.0.1 updates? Darn! No really, thanks to the little family. Nice news. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you!

@rockbeast: I frankly don't mind the enduring "beta" in any of Google's apps. It's always been way more than I'd expect for a free product. However, the "beta self-driving car" would make me just a biiiiiit wary.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi 72ka, I checked out the 0.0.8 version. Here's some feedback for the app running on a AT&T Pre 3 (2.2.4). It's not meant to be naggy, but I know you don't have all the devices your app is now running on.:

1. Freeze? I'm not sure if this is just me, because of modifications I've done to my phone (Govnah and ModeSwitcher), but I'm throwing it up in case anyone else has it.
    When Streetview is started, the phone occaisionally freezes or becomes so slow that it seems to freeze: buttons in the app become unresponsive, a swipe up will eventually minimize (after about 10 seconds) the window, but no other apps can be started (you can tap them, the "flash" will appear on the icon to sure they've been tapped, but nothing happens), and the app menu ("Google Maps) will remain in the upper left corner, even if the launcher is popped.

I can't reproduce this at will, but when it has happened no other apps were open. JStop is set on automatic garbage collection. Eventually the system catches up, Google Maps app menu tab goes away and all the apps I've tapped on start at once.

2. Panning in map view is as jerky as before, but it seems that Streetview panning has been improved: Panning and using the navigation arrows is super fast!!! Yes!

3. JustType works great. Two comments:
    - the spaces show up in html code "%20" but don't affect functionality
    - I don't know how the API works, but if you type a common street, is there any way to make it give the one nearest to the GPS position as the first? Instead of entering just the street, I usually have to do zip code, city and country as well in order to see the address in the list.

4. I'm unclear on which position is supposed to be displayed in Streetview. I've had my location in the top left, a red pin on the bottom right, and when I hit Streetview, i was shown the view for my location. I've tried to zoom and place a road I know has streetview in the exact center of the screen (remember this is a Pre 3, whose screen dimensions sometimes cause problems) but I get a streetview two streets over.

I'm staying on 0.0.8 - the functioning nav buttons in Streetview are a joy.
    It is possible... when I implement the preferences and cookies. Now I released the 0.0.8.
    And next task for me is to completely rewrite the directions, and I have some ideas to improve UI. This 0.0.8 version will be probably the last for long time than usually.

Your suggestion is added toToDo.
    Thanks man, look forward to testing it now.

A question: can this be released in the official HP/Palm app catalogue? I want to pay you for this
  16.    #116  
    Hi 72ka, I checked out the 0.0.8 version. Here's some feedback for the app running on a AT&T Pre 3 (2.2.4). It's not meant to be naggy, but I know you don't have all the devices your app is now running on.:

1. Freeze? I'm not sure if this is just me, because of modifications I've done to my phone (Govnah and ModeSwitcher), but I'm throwing it up in case anyone else has it.
    When Streetview is started, the phone occaisionally freezes or becomes so slow that it seems to freeze: buttons in the app become unresponsive, a swipe up will eventually minimize (after about 10 seconds) the window, but no other apps can be started (you can tap them, the "flash" will appear on the icon to sure they've been tapped, but nothing happens), and the app menu ("Google Maps) will remain in the upper left corner, even if the launcher is popped.

I can't reproduce this at will, but when it has happened no other apps were open. JStop is set on automatic garbage collection. Eventually the system catches up, Google Maps app menu tab goes away and all the apps I've tapped on start at once.

2. Panning in map view is as jerky as before, but it seems that Streetview panning has been improved: Panning and using the navigation arrows is super fast!!! Yes!

3. JustType works great. Two comments:
    - the spaces show up in html code "%20" but don't affect functionality
    - I don't know how the API works, but if you type a common street, is there any way to make it give the one nearest to the GPS position as the first? Instead of entering just the street, I usually have to do zip code, city and country as well in order to see the address in the list.

4. I'm unclear on which position is supposed to be displayed in Streetview. I've had my location in the top left, a red pin on the bottom right, and when I hit Streetview, i was shown the view for my location. I've tried to zoom and place a road I know has streetview in the exact center of the screen (remember this is a Pre 3, whose screen dimensions sometimes cause problems) but I get a streetview two streets over.

I'm staying on 0.0.8 - the functioning nav buttons in Streetview are a joy.
    ad 3. Huh the spaces code "%20" .. sorry, Ive never test the search with spaces... I have to fix it!
    ad. 2. Hmm, In emulator is smooth... but I am thinking how to improve it

ad4. Yes... Strange, the map canvas has a real screen resolution, but system has in MOJO app recalculated resolution to 320x480.. if the UI widgets has a native scale, then are small (like 0.0.5 version). The Pre3 is for me the worst device in this look. And touchpad has a bigger resolution than Pre3, but on them all works with no problems with size. The code contains most exceptions just for Pre3, including use of older Google API than other devices, because Pre3 renders not correctly some API graphics with actual API version... it is very time consuming to test all features for all devices. But... Id like to try to fix it.

Other... the stange behavior, when you know, how to induce it, let me know.
  17.    #117  
    A question: can this be released in the official HP/Palm app catalogue? I want to pay you for this
    Hi, the app is in development state.. not ready to release to app catalogue, contains dirty code, bugs and maybe some legal issues. Not contains licence file ...

The app will be always free, under open source licence. If you would like to pay for it, at the first page of this thread is a donation link. Thank you.
    Hi, the app is in development state.. not ready to release to app catalogue, contains dirty code, bugs and maybe some legal issues. Not contains licence file ...

The app will be always free, under open source licence. If you would like to pay for it, at the first page of this thread is a donation link. Thank you.
    I'm not a developer, but some of you reading this thread probably are, right? Could you folks help 72ka with some of his concerns here regarding releasing the app to the app catalog? Perhaps some of his/her (I've never asked...) concerns can be quickly answered by other developers who have successfully navigated the process to releasing to the app catalog.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm not a developer, but some of you reading this thread probably are, right? Could you folks help 72ka with some of his concerns here regarding releasing the app to the app catalog? Perhaps some of his/her (I've never asked...) concerns can be quickly answered by other developers who have successfully navigated the process to releasing to the app catalog.
    Yes, please. Even if you keep a free version, I'd prefer to get it from the App catalogue so its linked to my Palm Profile

I'll donate regardless haha, don't worry.
  20.    #120  
    Hi, I've read documentation on HP developer center, I have an account and I know a release criteria. I think I have enough information how to release the app to appcatalogue. When the app will be enough tested and stable , I'll upload it.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.