webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
Like Tree335Likes

Old 12/05/2012, 09:59 AM   #1141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
The 0.2.7 has been released.
Great! I can barely keep with your development pace!

Quote:
Enjoy the OSM maps and imagery rotation.
What's that "imagery rotation"? I thought it was those 45 degree view images I saw a while ago... I wasn't able to find out how to show them in your app, if it's available. My apologies if I'm completely out of mind!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 01:13 AM   #1142 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
What's that "imagery rotation"? I thought it was those 45 degree view images I saw a while ago... I wasn't able to find out how to show them in your app, if it's available. My apologies if I'm completely out of mind!
Hi Marcos, sadly, Im not sure if the 45 imagery is available in Spain. But if you can try it, search for e.g. Prague (czech republic), the marker will be placed in center of our capital city, then switch map to Satellite and zoom in until the rotation icon will appear in bottom menu, then you can rotate the views..
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 12/06/2012, 07:30 PM   #1143 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Marcos, sadly, Im not sure if the 45 imagery is available in Spain. But if you can try it, search for e.g. Prague (czech republic), the marker will be placed in center of our capital city, then switch map to Satellite and zoom in until the rotation icon will appear in bottom menu, then you can rotate the views..
I tried it for my house in the US and it worked well.

It was interesting to try to figure out what was happening at the time the pictures were taken (I can see the car belonging to the carpenter parked behind my house).
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 02:11 AM   #1144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
I can see the car belonging to the carpenter parked behind my house.
LOL!

Quote:
search for e.g. Prague (czech republic), the marker will be placed in center of our capital city, then switch map to Satellite and zoom in until the rotation icon will appear in bottom menu, then you can rotate the views..
Of course it works. And reminded me how beautiful is your country's capital!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 12/07/2012, 05:28 AM   #1145 (permalink)

Quote:
When I was looking for OSM implementation, I found some other map sources available. I can get e.g. Nokia OVI Maps, Free Slovakia maps, OSM bicycle maps, MyTopo, etc..

And many other map sources are available. Im thinking about some custom map types feature, where user could select what map sources to add to the layers pop-up menu.
Thank you for your great app. It looks like you're a fan of maps Just in case you don't know: I have recently found out that also Amazon is offering a map API:
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/maps.html
Old 12/07/2012, 07:06 AM   #1146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
It looks like you're a fan of maps
I'd say "real map junkie and programming genius"!

Quote:
Amazon is offering a map API: https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/maps.html
I've take a very quick peek, and it looks as an API for C++ native programs, not JavaScript web applications.

Old 12/07/2012, 08:12 AM   #1147 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, 0.2.8 is out, it is more evolution of 0.2.7 than a full of new features I decided to release it because contains important bugfixes and background improvements for better stability and lower data usage when OSM is enabled. But contains some new features, just read the changelog.

Last edited by 72ka; 12/07/2012 at 08:26 AM.
72ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: er dp
Old 12/07/2012, 08:23 AM   #1148 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Anyway, Im very happy today, because yesterday Google released the new API feature, the "Places Photos"! I miss it every day. I have to read the docs... but I hope it allows me to get a some photos for each place (not a Panoramio, but shots from google database) and include them as nice addition to marker info scene.
Old 12/07/2012, 09:57 AM   #1149 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
Thank you for your great app. It looks like you're a fan of maps Just in case you don't know: I have recently found out that also Amazon is offering a map API:
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/maps.html
looks like they use NOKIA (Navtec) data: Amazon launches Maps API for Kindle Fire HD | News | TechRadar
Old 12/07/2012, 10:03 AM   #1150 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Anyway, Im very happy today, because yesterday Google released the new API feature, the "Places Photos"! I miss it every day. I have to read the docs... but I hope it allows me to get a some photos for each place (not a Panoramio, but shots from google database) and include them as nice addition to marker info scene.
great addtion.
Please make it optional, so bandwith is saved in bad connection areas.
Old 12/07/2012, 12:53 PM   #1151 (permalink)

Nice update. It works great. I did make it freeze up for a bit after tooling around rotating the view and scrolling around for quite a while.

I thought I found a bug this morning, but it turned out to be something I did. It did make me think of a change that might be helpful. If you hit the street view option but then don't tap on a street to view, the blue highlight showing what streets have street view data does not go away. The only way to clear them is to actually go to street view and then come back out. If you can clear that if the user interacts with the map when not in street view that might be helpful.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 06:20 AM   #1152 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

OSM layer together with gmaps-company database is really great. I just had an adress for a church but that was away from the street, but with OSM layer data you can see the shape of the houses and special attributes like Church, Playing ground for kids... and are able to find 'hidden locations'.

I would have another webos integration feature request for the calculate route To:/from: textareas. Would it be possible to add a 'Pick contact adress'-icon to have a contact picker card open and be able to insert the adress directly from an existing contact. It's very well executed in the Ubercalendar patch to add a location to an event. You can also choose between different available home/work adresses. Perhaps reuse of code is possible.

gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by checkmate likes this.
Old 12/08/2012, 08:06 AM   #1153 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
If you hit the street view option but then don't tap on a street to view, the blue highlight showing what streets have street view data does not go away. The only way to clear them is to actually go to street view and then come back out. If you can clear that if the user interacts with the map when not in street view that might be helpful.
Thank you, it could be easy fixed, I think that Streetview menu item can toggle the blue highlight. ToDo for next release.

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Old 12/08/2012, 08:12 AM   #1154 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Would it be possible to add a 'Pick contact adress'-icon to have a contact picker card open and be able to insert the adress directly from an existing contact.
Hi, if I know it is possible, interresting feature request. I'll see what can I do for it. It sounds like very usable feature. Thanks for this hint.

Sent from ICOO D70GT tablet
Old 12/10/2012, 02:54 AM   #1155 (permalink)

Hi guys, sorry to disturb, because what I'm going to ask is, for sure, answered elsewhere:

I'm in the case of a webOS 2.2.4 that, when I click on a contact's address, opens Homebrew Google Maps (great!), but with "undefined" as the search term (oh!). Was there any trick to have this working properly?

Old 12/10/2012, 05:09 AM   #1156 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Hi guys, sorry to disturb, because what I'm going to ask is, for sure, answered elsewhere:

I'm in the case of a webOS 2.2.4 that, when I click on a contact's address, opens Homebrew Google Maps (great!), but with "undefined" as the search term (oh!). Was there any trick to have this working properly?
This "undefined"-textz in search bar seems at this special case to happen when:
1. you have google maps card closed
2. your phone can't get a gps-signal fast (indoor) message: "Please wait for the GPS signal or press cancel"
3. you have not activated the option: "override directions launch request"

(see also http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3363149 )

But perhaps this is also a bug for closed app parameter parsing as it works when you open googlemaps before hitting the contacts adress. Then the correct "route caculation"-card opens with destination adress filled in

Another fast solution is just to activate option "override directions launch request" in preferences. Then the marker is set directly.

Last edited by gizmo21; 12/10/2012 at 08:10 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 12/10/2012, 07:58 AM   #1157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
This "undefined"-text in search bar seems at this special case to happen when:
1. you have google maps card closed
2. your phone can't get a gps-signal fast (indoor) message: "Please wait for the GPS signal or press cancel"
3. you have not activated the option: "override directions launch request"
Alright, so I checked that "override directions launch request", kept the app open, and then clicked again on a contact's address. This time, the address indeed shows up in the search area of the app! But it behaves in a way it's of no use: It attempts to search for that address within the area I'm in, and thus comes up with the "ZERO_RESULTS_NEARBY" message.

Luckily, there's a suggestion popping down the search bar and, if I click on it, of course takes me to the address. It's a weird behaviour, but perhaps that's the way it's meant to be. For example, if the app made a second, non nearby search, when receiving that "ZERO_RESULTS_NEARBY" (and not popping up that message), it sould be really great.

Old 12/10/2012, 08:30 AM   #1158 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, today I spent a lot of time while making photos available. I created a new collapsible drawer inside marker-info scene, if the place contain some photos, the closed drawer will show you only the count of the photos available in brackets. If you open the drawer, the first photo will be downloaded. If you tap the photo, the new imagewview scene will appear, where you can view all available photos in high quality.
I have only one problem... the Google API function for getting scaled photo to desired resolution doesnt work. I have to load full resolution image even for the first photo preview. I hope that Google fix it soon...
At this time, the extended marker-info scene is done, the imageview scene is in progress...

I think that this behavior will meet all the low-bandwidth data requirements. Second, I tried (again) to include it in the look and feel of original webos UI desing.
Attached Images
File Type: png photos1.PNG (137.8 KB, 21 views) Email Attachment
Old 12/10/2012, 08:39 AM   #1159 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Alright, so I checked that "override directions launch request", kept the app open, and then clicked again on a contact's address. This time, the address indeed shows up in the search area of the app! But it behaves in a way it's of no use: It attempts to search for that address within the area I'm in, and thus comes up with the "ZERO_RESULTS_NEARBY" message.

Luckily, there's a suggestion popping down the search bar and, if I click on it, of course takes me to the address. It's a weird behaviour, but perhaps that's the way it's meant to be. For example, if the app made a second, non nearby search, when receiving that "ZERO_RESULTS_NEARBY" (and not popping up that message), it sould be really great.
Hi, any external call only fills the search bar... when you press Enter on address, the app is looking for nearby place named as your address. This is the reason.

Anyway... Im leaving it for a while, because I have to rewrite it from the ground and to devise a new behavior. Not only for this issue, but for all what was described before around klicktel, etc....
And, to include very nice new google feature, where you can type e.g. "Pizza near Brno" to search pizzas in Brno city ...
Please wait for it.
Old 12/10/2012, 10:42 AM   #1160 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, any external call only fills the search bar...
Understood.

Quote:
when you press Enter on address, the app is looking for nearby place named as your address.
Oh, I thought it would do a general search, not nearby. I'd love it to do a general search, if the nearby search fails. Is it doable?

Quote:
I have to rewrite it from the ground and to devise a new behavior.
Great! I will look forward to that.

Quote:
to include very nice new google feature, where you can type e.g. "Pizza near Brno" to search pizzas in Brno city
I'd love to do a "CIRCUIT near Brno"!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0