webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API
Like Tree335Likes

Old 10/31/2012, 03:51 AM   #1081 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Code:
http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&q=thanks+to+Google,+making+computers+speak+is+easier+than+ever
- You need to have a good data connection
You need it anyway for this app.

Quote:
- Your data rate is wasted (If you not have unlimited data)
Well, the app is also burning data by downloading map tiles. If it only speaks brief phrases from time to time, I don't think that's so much cost, for a great added value. Of course, this feature could be made optional.

Quote:
- Google (like apple) gets every word you like your device to speak
Those words would be map directions, actually coming from Google themselves, so that's not what I'd call a privacy concern. More interesting is the fact that Google knows that you are using their service from a certain location, but it already knows for sure, after all, this is a mapping app.

For me, the most intriguing thing is how much more time Google will offer these amazing services without asking money directly for them. I'm amazed at the sheer amount of resources it has to dedicate for giving these services for free (sure, revenue comes from elsewhere, but it's not the same as billing your customers).

Quote:
I have a new version of the speech Dispatcher ready that have a Mojo service. So every Mojo or Enjo app can use this servile like any other webOS services to speak. I will post more information as soon as the test package arrived in that alpha feeds.
Hey, that's great! I even asked exactly for this a while ago, at the Navit thread. Having offline text to speech is a great addition to the system, sure the Open webOS Team should be interested.

I have a very robotic, low volume voice, with the added fun of mixed spanish and englishwords in my navit setup, where can I find help? Can the phonemes pack be upgraded? Is Navit crafting texts that have mixed language words?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 05:16 AM   #1082 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, generally, make a some basic turn-by-turn navigation using my app could be possible, the background exists. But turn-by-turn violates the API terms. I'm still thinking about the patch to my app which allow to have navigation.
I can't imagine the patch with all functionality, and at every release update the patch... I think that acceptable way is to include all the navigation background in the standard app and make a patch only to one variable, which makes the navigation accesible for user.
It could still meets the terms, I hope...

Other side, what are the advantages in comparsion to Navit... I always prefer offline GPS navigation.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 10/31/2012, 05:18 AM   #1083 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, 0.2.6 has been released...
Don't forget to read news in about... Enjoy the new functionality (mainly streetview) and bugfixes.
Old 10/31/2012, 06:29 AM   #1084 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
some basic turn-by-turn navigation using my app could be possible, the background exists. Including all the navigation background and make a patch which makes the navigation accesible for user
could still meets the terms, I hope...
That's great news. By the way, I'm already enjoying 0.2.6, although your first post in this thread stops at 0.2. I'm amazed at how little your application is (around half a megabyte), and the huge amount of functions it treasures. The fact that it still works on webOS 1.4.5, dating a couple of years ago, is amazing!

Great job as always, Jan!

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
Old 10/31/2012, 07:22 AM   #1085 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hey, that's great! I even asked exactly for this a while ago, at the Navit thread. Having offline text to speech is a great addition to the system, sure the Open webOS Team should be interested.
I know that you have asked and I would have corrected my answer there as soon as the new version is available. I only made the pre announcement here as there was an actual talk about Text to speech possibilities. ( Remake: I also will post a patch to speak the name of the incoming caller )

Quote:
I have a very robotic, low volume voice, with the added fun of mixed Spanish and englishwords in my navit setup, where can I find help? Can the phonemes pack be upgraded? Is Navit crafting texts that have mixed language words?
We should discuss this in the Navit thread. But I guess that not all guiding text in Navit have a Spanish translation and for that it falls back to English. Navit only sends the Text and the information that the user has selected the Spanish UI.

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by BoRn and jcmarcos like this.
Old 10/31/2012, 11:41 AM   #1086 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, the app is also burning data by downloading map tiles. If it only speaks brief phrases from time to time, I don't think that's so much cost, for a great added value. Of course, this feature could be made optional.
That made me think of something... later on we could have a map pre-fetch feature, that would download certain map tiles along a pre-programmed route while on WiFi, and later only use the GPS signal while displaying cached tiles.

I can probably figure this out in greater detail before we implement anything, but anyway, the user can specify certain locations and zoom levels, cache the graphics while at a "free WiFi" location and not have to worry later when using their cellular network. This can also grab a list of "free WiFi" locations in the area, such as hotels, coffee shops, etc.

This might not be an important feature, but it's certainly a nice solution for the non-unlimited-data people.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 11:49 AM   #1087 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
That made me think of something... later on we could have a map pre-fetch feature
Jan said a while ago that storing map tiles violates Google's license.

Old 10/31/2012, 12:03 PM   #1088 (permalink)

Quote:
Jan said a while ago that storing map tiles violates Google's license.
Thanks for the heads-up, but regular web browsers do cache a small amount anyway, maybe twice the size of the screen, but for only as long as the browser is running. This makes me think that it's a legal grey area... if we do not keep the cache alive between sessions, and only load a small amount, it's only as bad as Firefox v.2 (which is where i found two year old satellite photo tiles).

Otherwise, an "illegal" patch can exist (or not) and we can pretend not to know or care
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 06:20 PM   #1089 (permalink)

minor bug report: on pre3 in landscape mode, layers dropdown cant scroll and is cutoff so that "more" is partially obscured (but still usable).
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 07:38 PM   #1090 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
I know that you have asked and I would have corrected my answer there as soon as the new version is available. I only made the pre announcement here as there was an actual talk about Text to speech possibilities. ( Remake: I also will post a patch to speak the name of the incoming caller )

HaPe
That is great. I was thinking about something similar but speaking every notification you get in the dashboard. Use case is your phone is in your pocket you have your phones on and there's no need to check what is this that just came. If you get that read to you it'll be very usefull. Of course you want that only when the phone is in headphone mode... The caller I'd might be fine all the time - it is a phone after all.

Last edited by BoRn; 10/31/2012 at 07:52 PM.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 07:49 PM   #1091 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know what's that, but I'm a bit ashamed to have just realized that, thanks to Google, making computers speak is easier than ever:

Code:
http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&q=thanks+to+Google,+making+computers+speak+is+easier+than+ever
I'd say that I've been very impressed by the voice quality (the spanish voice is from a woman, curious), and its almost instant delivery. Actually, having programmed computers for the last thirty years, I think I'm gonna get drunk out of depression.
My bad I was speaking of top off my head. I took a glimpse at the code while back when it came out, but just took a second look now and ironically enough it uses exactly the same google service Not sure if you checked the code or not. Anyway I like both ideas with off/on line voice. And I for sure use navit for 2+ years.
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 04:46 PM   #1092 (permalink)

It seems like version 0.2.5 and 0.2.6 occasionally have a hard time getting a GPS fix at start up on my Pre3. When this happens, exiting and restarting the app usually gets a GPS fix quickly.

(I don't remember previous versions having this sort of problem)
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 04:52 PM   #1093 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
It seems like version 0.2.5 and 0.2.6 occasionally have a hard time getting a GPS fix at start up on my Pre3. When this happens, exiting and restarting the app usually gets a GPS fix quickly.

(I don't remember previous versions having this sort of problem)
No problem on my Pre2!
Old 11/02/2012, 12:48 PM   #1094 (permalink)

BUGS (v0.2.6):
1. on TP, swiping with 2 fingers in either direction will show "Zooming" notification message (which is not correct since the gesture is not a pinch)
2. when this happens, and I let the "Zooming" notification message to stay on screen longer than the delay between animations of position circle marker, the next animations of the position circle marker will cause a white flicker of the screen.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 06:24 AM   #1095 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
Hi, 0.2.6 has been released...
Don't forget to read news in about... Enjoy the new functionality (mainly streetview) and bugfixes.
installed update and noticed the help dropdown menu doesn't load.

Also, as in earlier versions I am unable to zoom down any lower than 200m/1000ft on my pre 3. I get a pinwheel of death indicating the app is trying to zoom. No problem zooming with my touchpad.

wonderful app. Thanks so much.
dumbo64611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 07:24 AM   #1096 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo64611 View Post

Also, as in earlier versions I am unable to zoom down any lower than 200m/1000ft on my pre 3. I get a pinwheel of death indicating the app is trying to zoom. No problem zooming with my touchpad.

Sorry. My zoom problem was due to the fact I had selected a terrain map type. Zoom works fine on pre3 with roadmap as map type.

help dropdown menue issue is the only one that remains.
Old 11/06/2012, 07:25 AM   #1097 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo64611 View Post

Sorry. My zoom problem was due to the fact I had selected a terrain map type. Zoom works fine on pre3 with roadmap as map type.

help dropdown menue issue is the only one that remains.
Old 11/06/2012, 08:18 AM   #1098 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, help is missing although it is present in the dropdown menu. It is reserved for someone who wants to contribute this way

Anyway, I'm very busy these days, sorry for my late reply.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 11/12/2012, 07:22 AM   #1099 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, Im apologize for missing updates of Google Maps this week... but I have some succes with openWebOS port to my tablet, you can check it here http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3362611
Old 11/12/2012, 09:55 AM   #1100 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

btw. is the new feature already implemented in newest 0.2.6
the strike in the first post, is suggesting it:
change the default handler for LOC location coordinates in webOS, as you did for adresses?

I can't get it to work. Updated app (did not uninstall/install) and reregistered as standard app for maps. But LOCs won't open in your app. Neither mojowhatsup nor patched messageapp "insert GPS location"

New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0