Page 54 of 76 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1504
Like Tree392Likes
    Actually took the time to play with this a bit last night. A couple of humble suggestions:

- In the Markers screen, let us delete markers under the places section with swipes for consistency with the rest of WebOS
    - For the Send actions from the Markers screen (after hitting the info icon for a marker), have the same options that you have when expanding the information from the pin when on the map and vice/versa. For example, 'Route with Navit'. Maybe move that send icon (the paper airplane) to each marker in the list instead (next to the current favorite and info buttons) so we don't have to tap twice to perform an action on the marker.
    - Rather than use both Marker and Pin, be more consistent with naming things to one or the other.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    the compass arrow was stuck in the same direction all the way.
    If the compass needle stuck, just switch the app to the background and back. Or you mean the blue arrow?
    It was the red compass needle. So there's a bug somewhere in webOS or Pre 3 that makes it get stuck? Alright, acknowledged.

I still miss some indication of wether the GPS signal is lost or not.
    The indication about signal is pulsating dot, but in the follow mode pulsating dot disabled, because it's disturbing - if the arrow is moving, your GPS is frequently updated and it means that the GPS signal is good.
    Aha, it's true, adding some visual cue in follow mode would be redundant, simply because one can see that things don't move in that case. But still, I'd love the follow mode icon to glow in red instead of blue, for example.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  3.    #1063  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Actually took the time to play with this a bit last night. A couple of humble suggestions:

- In the Markers screen, let us delete markers under the places section with swipes for consistency with the rest of WebOS
    - For the Send actions from the Markers screen (after hitting the info icon for a marker), have the same options that you have when expanding the information from the pin when on the map and vice/versa. For example, 'Route with Navit'. Maybe move that send icon (the paper airplane) to each marker in the list instead (next to the current favorite and info buttons) so we don't have to tap twice to perform an action on the marker.
    - Rather than use both Marker and Pin, be more consistent with naming things to one or the other.
    Hi, your suggestions are in place. From your point of view are they a humble, but I have to do a lot of work to do it. The app is multistage app and the first concept isnīt enough to handle these suggestions well. But it is my big ToDo to rewrite it to be more flexible, then these suggestions could be easy implemented.
    Iīm working on it ...

Thank you, Iīm always open to the suggestions which makes the app closer to the user.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    steinhage likes this.
  4.    #1064  
    It was the red compass needle. So there's a bug somewhere in webOS or Pre 3 that makes it get stuck? Alright, acknowledged.
    Iīm not sure if it is a bug, but the behavior is a bit weird. If you start the compass, it works until the screen dims to lower level. In the app QuickCompass is this fixed using disabling screen lock, but I donīt want to disable screen lock while the app is running (except follow mode).

Aha, it's true, adding some visual cue in follow mode would be redundant, simply because one can see that things don't move in that case. But still, I'd love the follow mode icon to glow in red instead of blue, for example.
    Uhhh... red icon? Iīm still trying to have a clean UI and the red color icon in the app tuned in black, graytones and light blue... Iīm scared of that
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Got it and installed! It is very nice for such an early release. It does look more like a finished product than I would have expected.

Alas, I could not get a GPS fix, so it doesn't seem to have THAT magical effect. All my 'spells' that used to work on the Verizon GPS gremlins appear to have little to no effect anymore. I finally got a fix once I turned on my wifi, and it zeroed in on the location of our office wifi. But THAT does me no good out in the wild, driving down the road.

But despite my Verizon GPS curse that is my own burden to bear, I do like what 72ka has here.
    I remember hearing that one needs to open Verizon's own GPS app first before starting Google maps, something you can probably google as i don't remember exactly anymore. It's a locked-down paid app, but starting it has usually unblocked precise GPS for the entire phone, even if the app itself is unusable... I'm too sleepy to remember anything now, but hopefully the same fix still works...
    So there's a bug somewhere in webOS or Pre 3 that makes it get stuck? Alright, acknowledged.
    Iīm not sure if it is a bug, but the behavior is a bit weird. If you start the compass, it works until the screen dims to lower level. In the app QuickCompass is this fixed using disabling screen lock, but I donīt want to disable screen lock while the app is running (except follow mode).
    If I remember correctly, I was in follow mode all the way, screen never got dimmed. Nevermind.

I'd love the follow mode icon to glow in red instead of blue, for example.
    Iīm still trying to have a clean UI and the red color icon in the app tuned in black, graytones and light blue... Iīm scared of that
    I meant a red glow when there's no GPS signal, replacing the regular blue glow when in follow mode. I didn't think it could harm the user interface.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  7.    #1067  
    If I remember correctly, I was in follow mode all the way, screen never got dimmed. Nevermind.
    And the needle did work before? when you start the compass? And did work when you start the follow mode? I have to know, if it stuck while follow mode or didnīt work at all before.

I meant a red glow when there's no GPS signal, replacing the regular blue glow when in follow mode. I didn't think it could harm the user interface.
    OK.. but we have to decide, what is the "lost signal".. as I described before, webos doesnīt provide any infou about signal strenght. I have to do some timeout functions, if the position isnīt refreshed for the last 2 seconds, the signal is probably lost - correct?
    And the needle did work before? when you start the compass? And did work when you start the follow mode?
    I've done a brief test, and the needle did not stop moving when I enabled the follow mode. So, the other day, it had to stop during trip, in follow mode, and I didn't realize when.

By the way, the compass in general shows quite an awkward behaviour: It constantly moves just by tilting the phone, and even sometimes jumps to a completely different direction even if not moving it at all. Is the readout any good only when the device lies flat?

we have to decide, what is the "GPS lost signal".. as I described before, webos doesnīt provide any info about signal strenght. I have to do some timeout functions, if the position isnīt refreshed for the last 2 seconds, the signal is probably lost - correct?
    Ah, didn't realize about that: Programs just stop receving GPS notifications, it's not that the GPS has an "hey, I'm dead" event. I guess that two seconds interval is adequate. Or it can be the average interval in the last minute, for example. Or the average interval in the last ten readouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I remember hearing that one needs to open Verizon's own GPS app first before starting Google maps, something you can probably google as i don't remember exactly anymore. It's a locked-down paid app, but starting it has usually unblocked precise GPS for the entire phone, even if the app itself is unusable... I'm too sleepy to remember anything now, but hopefully the same fix still works...
    That trick has worked in the past, I'm not finding that it works anymore. I have an app I use called GPS Fix, and one of it's 'tricks' to fix is exactly that. Since I've had the Pre2, that trick hasn't worked (since July 2012).

Last weekend I had some intermittant good following GPS locks. This week, I had them while on business travel some of the time. I have been using an app called GPS Info v.1.0.496 by Karge Software that goes out and grabs current GPS info...it seems to work about half of the time...better than my experiences over the last month or two.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Oh i see... I'm on Pre+ and the trick worked for me once, when i first tried it two years ago... Thanks for the heads up, i guess either Verizon heard about our trick or the OS structural differences have broken whatever made it work in the past. I'll see if it still works for me as soon as my phone is working again or i'll borrow my mother's when she isn't looking...
  11.    #1071  
    Hi, just for information who is interested in the app memory consumption. Today I performed a test (screenshot). Application after start eats around 49MB, the second is to place around 20 nearby markers which eats next 4MB (200kB per marker is good - the marker consists an array of dozen informations). The next increase is a route directions from Sunnywale to Arkansas - 3142km long trip with route alternatives, it means you have to put three routes to the memory. This eats next 11MB. You can see, that the top memory consumption is under 70MB.
    Finally, the correct behavior, if you clear the map, the memory is succesfully released to the "after-start" consumption around 50MB.

I have had to perform these test, because I changed many parts of code for more code flexibility, as decsribed in some previous posts.

I hope that this week the app with new features and bugfixes will be released.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jcmarcos, Remy X and er dp like this.
    looking forward to the todo point:
    change the default handler for LOC location coordinates in webOS, as you did for adresses?
    Hi, just for information who is interested in the app memory consumption. Today I performed a test
    Impressive research! It's not usual to see developers taking care of such things, this shows category.

Hi, your suggestions are in place. From your point of view are they a humble, but I have to do a lot of work to do it. The app is multistage app and the first concept isnīt enough to handle these suggestions well. But it is my big ToDo to rewrite it to be more flexible, then these suggestions could be easy implemented.
    Iīm working on it ...

Thank you, Iīm always open to the suggestions which makes the app closer to the user.
    Wow, that was quick! You rock!
    : (){:|:&};:
  15.    #1075  
    By the way, the compass in general shows quite an awkward behaviour: It constantly moves just by tilting the phone, and even sometimes jumps to a completely different direction even if not moving it at all. Is the readout any good only when the device lies flat?

Your're right... The compass reading on webos is horrible, exactly as you described. I think it is unusable at all while walking or running.
    But I think it is possible to make a software recalculating based on g-sensor. Simply include a correction to device position. Although I'm thinking about linear functions, it could be acceptable even if I know that the g-sensor provides a small non-linearity mainly around 45 degree.
    I think that HP implemented compass as rough data from sensor just for begining. Or simply they omits corrections or it is just a bug... Who knows.
    If you try any other compass featured app on webos, the behavior is the same. In comparsion to iPhone or Android compass featured devices, Pre3 looks like bad joke...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The compass reading on webos is horrible, exactly as you described. I think it is unusable at all while walking or running. But I think it is possible to make a software recalculating based on g-sensor. Simply include a correction to device position.
    Wow... If you ever tackle that, you should post your enhancements to the Open webOS team, for future versions have at least non-ridiculous compass. Do you think it would be easy to add those calculations? I guess it can be done by brute force, by just having an ordinary compass at hand, and watching how much silly are webOS results compared to the real thing.

Indeed, I think the compass API must be a hurried affair, such as a direct, unpondered readout from the compass hardware.

Talking about features... Have you thought about the chances for your app to actually acknowledge if the spot is inside a certain route? Then, you'd be able to show big banners of the directions. That way, we could have something closer to turn-by-turn navigation. I think you told us Google doesn't like that...

And next, have a look at speech dispatcher (as from Navit app), and make your app speak roboto...

/me ducks

:-D

And next, have a look at speech dispatcher (as from Navit app), and make your app speak roboto...

/me ducks

:-D
    ..or use the build in - science app Audio Headlines uses.
    It might be just for 3.x version I'm not sure but it can read 100 words at a time and it has much natural voice than the speech dispatcher that turns all the drives to doctors(dr)

Well, just checked and yes it's just for 3.x
    No voice speed dial in 3.x so I'm not sure why it's available in 3.x and not in 2.x.
    Can't remember what build-in service is used in this app - don't have my TP with me.
    But since this runs fine on TP and it can be tethered to a BT gps it'll be sweet to talk more natural.
    I know Jan is making sure that this is working on all webos versions so I guess we can have both i.e. fall back to speech dispatcher if the build in service is not there.
    jcmarcos likes this.
    Wow... If you ever tackle that, you should post your enhancements to the Open webOS team, for future versions have at least non-ridiculous compass.
    Hmm.. Does the WiFi-only Touchpad have the same kind of ridiculous compass as the Pre 3?

Because if so, it would be possible to follow the instructions outlined in this thread: accelerometer/rotation not working and get a ton of readouts. Then i can go over the data by hand and look for a pattern to the insanity.

Perhaps then i could put together a visualization app that can take corrections on the fly and finish tuning it that way.

I'll look into this this evening if the time permits.

P.S. I just noticed how i start almost every sentence with an "i"... that's some ego
    Anyhow, this looks interesting and definitely worth looking into...
    jcmarcos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    have a look at speech dispatcher (as from Navit app), and make your app speak roboto...
    Or use the build in - science app Audio Headlines uses.
    I don't know what's that, but I'm a bit ashamed to have just realized that, thanks to Google, making computers speak is easier than ever:

Code:
    http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&q=thanks+to+Google,+making+computers+speak+is+easier+than+ever
    I'd say that I've been very impressed by the voice quality (the spanish voice is from a woman, curious), and its almost instant delivery. Actually, having programmed computers for the last thirty years, I think I'm gonna get drunk out of depression.

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I don't know what's that, but I'm a bit ashamed to have just realized that, thanks to Google, making computers speak is easier than ever:

Code:
    http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&q=thanks+to+Google,+making+computers+speak+is+easier+than+ever
    I'd say that I've been very impressed by the voice quality (the spanish voice is from a woman, curious), and its almost instant delivery. Actually, having programmed computers for the last thirty years, I think I'm gonna get drunk out of depression.
    The only problem of this solutions that I see:
    - You need to have a good data connection
    - Your data rate is wasted (If you not have unlimited data)
    - Google (like apple) gets every word you like your device to speak

I have a new version of the speech Dispatcher ready that have a Mojo service. So every Mojo or Enjo app can use this servile like any other webOS services to speak. I will post more information as soon as the test package arrived in that alpha feeds.

I send 72ka a test version, with the same idea in mind, some days ago.

Happy Hacking
    HaPe