Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
  1.    #821  
    Hi, here you can try the development preview: http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/maps/c...-devPre3_2.ipk

Goal of this version is to make stable app without workarounds, where the map is 1:1 and other UI 1:1,5 ...

If the app looks the same for you and is stable, only smaller map... it is exactly what I needed.
    Anyway.. Iīm waiting for Pre3 from Gizmo21 and Iīll be able to test is by myself soon. Meantime I release the KeePassW for phone devices http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3343141

When the Pre3 arrive, I have to switch from Pre+ to Pre3 and then I can continue with GoogleMaps developing. The ToDo is still full and I have so many other ideas how to make the app better.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    TUFF Stough and jcmarcos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    You can try the development preview. Goal of this version is to make stable app without workarounds, where the map is 1:1 and other UI 1:1,5 ...
    Looking pretty as always! Will make some road test soon.

I've taken a quick look at Google's documentation for their JavaScript API and, as you already said, it seems impossible to choose map image quality or scaling. Even the "initial-scale" thing in the "viewport" meta tag does nothing (I removed the tag altogether, and nothing changes at all in both IE8 and Chrome. Or that element is for use in mobile browsers?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  3.    #823  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Looking pretty as always! Will make some road test soon.

I've taken a quick look at Google's documentation for their JavaScript API and, as you already said, it seems impossible to choose map image quality or scaling. Even the "initial-scale" thing in the "viewport" meta tag does nothing (I removed the tag altogether, and nothing changes at all in both IE8 and Chrome. Or that element is for use in mobile browsers?
    I think that the viewport is usable everywhere.. but we donīt know, if the API check the desktop browser and force the scale=1....

But the problem is, if you set any viewport, the touchscreen events are still without any scaling, always 1:1 and this is the issue... only 1:1 on map works porperly. The API receiving the events not from Mojo controller (where the touchscreen events are scaled .. this is reason why apps works on scaled Pre3), but from window events (webkit), where is nothing scaled.. strange. This is caused by lack of webos support from Google side... it could be easy change the API inside to catch the Mojo events. But... this is not real, because WebOS is dead and this issue is ONLY on one of WebOS devices.... for Google is absolutly minor issue.

Just for imagination.. here is screenshot of scale=2, where the API loads the high-dpi tiles... they are very readable, but unusable on Pre3.
    But not giving up, I hope that sometimes find a satisfactory solution... especially now that I will be a pre3 owner.

Last edited by 72ka; 08/07/2012 at 03:39 AM.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    if you set any viewport, the touchscreen events are still without any scaling, always 1:1 and this is the issue... only 1:1 on map works porperly. This issue is ONLY on one of WebOS devices.... for Google is absolutly minor issue. Here is screenshot of scale=2, where the API loads the high-dpi tiles... they are very readable, but unusable on Pre3. But not giving up, I hope that sometimes find a satisfactory solution
    Thankyou for the explanation, that screenshot is really funny! I'd love to have that map scaling, let's hope you find some hack for it
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Haha nice screenshot,
    the scaling of the map looks great tho.
    And its great to hear that one of the last active devs is giving the pre3 a bit more support

UPDATE:
    Just tested the latest pre3 test relases and im really getting used to the map size. Hybrid mode is a bit hard to read but normal map mode is just fine imo, but i have good eyes The scaling size of the UI is fine too, a bit blurry but ok i guess. The Position-Point could be a bit smaller imo.
    Anyway great work.

btw, why does the app has a so long startup time even before it loads any tiles?
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 08/07/2012 at 06:39 AM.
  6.    #826  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    btw, why does the app has a so long startup time even before it loads any tiles?
    It loads the whole Google API. Bur your question is good, because an hour ago I improved the caching. Anyway... what long exactly? On my Pre+ from Tap to launch app to blue dot fixed at position, over wifi takes only 6 seconds! But this is after the caching improvement, before was around 8-9 seconds.
    Can you measure it?
    Wifi is quite fast too, i was having problems outdoor where this app should be used.
    Right now im in a building with only very slow grps and it takes minutes

but i will do some outside 3G test when im heading home from work and post the results.
    if it would give a improvement of 1/3 on mobile data it is definatly a great thing
    I used this app extensively last night, and noticed a couple things -- first, i seem to recall some time ago being able to get directions using it, but i can't seem to find that function any more - is it hidden somewhere?

second, after approximately 30-40 minutes runtime in real-time updating mode, my Pre3 came up "Too Many Cards -- throw some cards away". It was the only thing running. Looks like it's leaking memory somewhere or other.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    So about startup time, it seems when i tried it i had a bad connection, on my way home with quite good 3G it started up in 4-6 seconds including the loading time of the tiles of the region.
  10.    #830  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I used this app extensively last night, and noticed a couple things -- first, i seem to recall some time ago being able to get directions using it, but i can't seem to find that function any more - is it hidden somewhere?

second, after approximately 30-40 minutes runtime in real-time updating mode, my Pre3 came up "Too Many Cards -- throw some cards away". It was the only thing running. Looks like it's leaking memory somewhere or other.
    Directions are still present, in the bottom menu then tap to Directions.

About the memory leak, it is new information for me. My experience on my Pre+ is 50min of tracking without problem, only the phone was a quite hot. Are you talking about stable version 0.2.0 from Preware, or latest testing version from this forum link?
    Current version from Preware.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Hi, here you can try the development preview: [URL="http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/maps/cz.72ka.googlemaps_0.2.0_all-devPre3_2.ipk"]http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/maps/cz.72ka.googlemaps_0.2.0_all-devPre3_2.ipk[/URL
    Would it be possible for the development preview versions to have a slightly different version string in the About box so I can be sure I got the new version?

Thanks (i'll try it soon)
    Would it be possible to get GM running on a TP to link to a webOS phone for GPS info?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preģ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preģ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  14.    #834  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Would it be possible for the development preview versions to have a slightly different version string in the About box so I can be sure I got the new version?

Thanks (i'll try it soon)
    Is it, sure. I'll try to not forget :-)
  15.    #835  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Would it be possible to get GM running on a TP to link to a webOS phone for GPS info?
    Hi, I think it is possible via bluetooth, but it's not high priority todo. At this time I'm focused on speed, stability and Pre3 compatibility, new features must wait for a while. I can add your request to ToDo. My idea is to support any external bluetooth GPS.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Have you experimented with PreGo GPS?

Web page: PreGo GPS

PreGo GPS is Bluetooth server app running on your webOS phone and send position data as NMEA strings to your TouchPad running MapTool Pro. NMEA is the industry standard for external GPS devices, that means you could also use it as external GPS device for other uses.
  17.    #837  

Not yet, but as I know, PreGo simulates the bluetooth gps receiver. I have one old Navilock BT GPS and isn't problem for me to test it too. But the task is to write a bluetooth stack to the app, because system doesn't support external receivers, e.g. like Maemo on Nokia internet tablets (it was great devices, had N770 and N810)...
    And as I mentioned before, more elegant solution could be a standalone app that simulates internal GPS than implementing BT stack to each app.... Such that app doesn't exist?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    achimi likes this.
    ask Developer Metaview how he has done it with MapTools Pro which supports external GPS devices other than Palm Phones

Perhaps he can build an app that can be polled by API calls from gmaps. So both can benefit from it.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 08/11/2012 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion (and yes, I do have PreGo), but I was asking about linking my Pre3 to GM on my TP--that's what I really want.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preģ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preģ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  20.    #840  
    Hi, 0.2.1 is out. It is frozen dev version, tested, contains many changes in comparsion with previous 0.2.0 or latest testing version, because it is tested on my new Pre3. I confirm the freezing and unstability of previous version on Pre3, I was surprised, why the app works so bad on the better device. Spent many hours why... the reason is mainly that the google API doesnīt support WebOS at all... the main things are written in Github project page. The worse at all is, that the Google API recognize the WebOS 2.2 as touch enabled device and load the touch enabled API, but the WebOS 2.2 doesnīt support W3C touch events at all... it means without workarounds in the app (since 1st release) is API on WebOS unusable.And these workarounds make the map slow and jerky... the way could be a user agent string change (the API loads the same non-touch api as for webos 1.x 2.1 or 3.x), but this is too deep system change, not usable for most users.
    I focused to the minimalize all javascripts which handle the map interactions. GPS core is rewritten... yesterday I performed a 35km long trip on highway with Pre3 and the battery was at acceptable temperature and not drained.
    This release is first attempt to the better Pre3 support.

Anyway, donīt forget to try the new user reviews for places! And transit layer too...