Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Download here the testing version - only for Pre3 users: http://www.volny.cz/hp2/webos/maps/c...ll-devPre3.ipk
    On a half-hour drive (25 miles), it seemed to be okay on my Pre3. I noticed that in night mode it didn't flash.

When I got home to my driveway, I noticed that there were the edges of black tiles on the sides of the main map. It could be that the phone had switched to using my home WiFi, but at no bars, it was having trouble downloading the newest tiles (eventually they filled in).
  2.    #802  
    Hi all, thank for your reports again. I was extensively working only on Pre3 compatibility. At this time, it looks like I´m succesfull in the dynamically switching between viewports. The changes for Pre3 looks stable (but contains some issues to have to fix them), needs more time to finalize it. I have to set the size of all images, fonts and some UI elements in the map scene. The worse is, that the final result looks very similar as the previous versions, only the map tiles are 1:1 - but in the background I made a lot of changes and thus my work isn´t visible
    I use the 1:1 scale on streetview too, the images may be sharper.

I hope that it will be the final solution for Pre3... and no more troubles with pixel ratio and horrible workarounds...

By the way, I will be out for three days... then I´ll continue.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    hope that it will be the final solution for Pre3... and no more troubles with pixel ratio and horrible workarounds...

By the way, I will be out for three days... then I´ll continue.
    Well take your time as maps is even in v 0.1.9 is much better than all we had on webOS before
    And as Precentral preware feed hasn't updated since 14th July, no hurry needed.
    Hi all, thank for your reports again.
    I also did a road test yesterday in my Pre 3, with noticeable better performance, but at the cost of battery drain. Can it be that your latest changes are processor intensive? I saw temperature raise to 52 degrees, which scared me a lot (I did the rest of the trip with my Pre 3 in front of the air conditioning grille), and Govnah showed me almost a full ampere of battey drain!

it looks like I´m succesfull in the dynamically switching between viewports. The changes for Pre3 looks stable, needs more time to finalize it. I have to set the size of all images, fonts and some UI elements in the map scene.
    I guess that UI elements will look as big as before, but map details will keep as tiny as in this test version. Having such small details makes one struggle to read anything on the map, thus being very dangerous while driving. I know, your app doesn't pretend to be a driving aid, but it does so well as one... Could you add scaling level to the map, so I can have it zoomed back again at 1.5x, or even more? Would that be very processor intensive?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    First thanks for trying to fix the pre3 map panning.

I use the pre3 with the uberkernel patch. I have found that if I zoom out to see more road (traffic) ahead the app freezes, especially when I tap the crosshair button on the top right. Can you check the zoom out feature while the map is panning? Also it would be helpful when traveling to have the map display more of the road ahead and less of the road behind.

Finally, question: DO the different map types involve more or less data. To speed map panel loading should I use one map type versus another. (I use terrain with traffic.)

FYI, I will be donating. Nice work.
  6.    #806  
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo64611 View Post
    First thanks for trying to fix the pre3 map panning.

I use the pre3 with the uberkernel patch. I have found that if I zoom out to see more road (traffic) ahead the app freezes, especially when I tap the crosshair button on the top right. Can you check the zoom out feature while the map is panning? Also it would be helpful when traveling to have the map display more of the road ahead and less of the road behind.

Finally, question: DO the different map types involve more or less data. To speed map panel loading should I use one map type versus another. (I use terrain with traffic.)

FYI, I will be donating. Nice work.
    Hi... looks like that the Pre3 has some issues between user interactions and GPS tracking, I never have this on my Pre+.

Anyway.. the gps position is updated always while app is running. One of my ToDo is to speed up the app using more intelligent updating, only when the app is in idle. I hope that this can fix these freezing issues on Pre3.

About the data usage... only one difference is what map tiles are downloaded, the tiles are 256x256 compressed images. I think that the roadmap type needs less data than others, but not measured
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  7.    #807  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I also did a road test yesterday in my Pre 3, with noticeable better performance, but at the cost of battery drain. Can it be that your latest changes are processor intensive? I saw temperature raise to 52 degrees, which scared me a lot (I did the rest of the trip with my Pre 3 in front of the air conditioning grille), and Govnah showed me almost a full ampere of battey drain!
    Hi, the app version is testing, your report is very interresting, But one of the reason could be a lower 3G signal strenght, then the phone drains battery more... was tested on the same conditions as before? Same trip, same weather...?

I guess that UI elements will look as big as before, but map details will keep as tiny as in this test version. Having such small details makes one struggle to read anything on the map, thus being very dangerous while driving. I know, your app doesn't pretend to be a driving aid, but it does so well as one... Could you add scaling level to the map, so I can have it zoomed back again at 1.5x, or even more? Would that be very processor intensive?
    Uh...just the map scaling makes the Pre3 issues... I don´t think that could be possible. The problem is, that I can´t set the viewport for map and UI separatelly in one scene. And if I use a webkit transformation, the map tiles are scaled, but the Pre3 issues are back ...

I´ll see... but can´t promise anything.

Thank you for briliant report of battery drain a nd temperatures.
    jcmarcos likes this.
    a lower 3G signal strenght, then the phone drains battery more... was tested on the same conditions as before? Same trip, same weather...?
    Sure, same conditions exactly. I didn't realize that low signal strength makes the radio struggle, and burn more current. I guess I should learn a lot more about data radios, thanks for the tip.

By the way, talking about signal strength... Could you add something about it for the GPS? At least to know when it is not available, like painting its icon in red or something.

I can´t set the viewport for map and UI separatelly in one scene. And if I use a webkit transformation, the map tiles are scaled, but the Pre3 issues are back ...
    Sure, I feared that. You are already doing some very impressive tricks with WebKit. I guess I'll have to settle with too little elements in the screen. That's what you pay for with these pixel densities in modern devices. I like it a lot when you zoon in the map and, while waiting for new tiles, zoom the existing ones to 200%: It's the only moment I can read anyhing! ;-)
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  9.    #809  
    Hi, I decided just to write somewhere the new results of Pre3 compatibility researching.
    All is spinning around screen DPI. Google API provides two types of map tiles, standard and high-dpi tiles. The tile is just picture and the road names are "baked" in the picture - no way to change font size through API. The API check the device at start and loads standard or high-dpi tiles, but supports ONLY ratio 1 or 2 (4 for bussines). But the Pre3 have ratio 1.5 - and this is the problem. If I set ratio 1.5 (Pre3), the API rounds-up the ratio to 2 and load high-dpi map with ratio 2 ... and then, al is offseted by ratio 1,5:2 when moving map somewhere.
    Looks like that the high-dpi map tiles was designed for the iPhone 4, which have ratio 2....

Anyway, on android devices is situation better, because android use special designed closed API, where the map can be scaled to any scale and the road names are in some layer, I can see that the road names are loaded after the map tiles. And the road names are not rotated when map is... but this is other topic, we are running WebOS

Looks like I´m done with Pre3 changes, the map is 1:1 (small road labels), but works well. Other UI is scaled to 1,5. I made big changes. Because of battery drain issues, most of GPS core function was rewritten (simplified for better performance when tracking). The app was written in Ares (web developer IDE) up to 3rd release.. and Ares code was present to actual release (horrible I know...). Now i finally had I time to make all the Ares code away. And made some other steps to speed up. Disabled the poi labels on the map, they slow down the app, because each poi is marker with listener and eats the RAM. I hope that all these changes makes the app better, more stable and faster.
    When I clean the code, I´ll put the next testing version for Pre3 users.

And some other news, my Pre+ have scratched screen (R.I.P.), fell on the sharp stone .. it works, but the screen has horrible deep scratch. The good new is, partially thanks to your donations, looks like I can buy the Pre3 above. Then the app will be definitelly focused on Pre3 device, I´m looking forward to implement compass

EDIT: Oh, I forget to show something interresting... I found on the internet the trick, how to show transit layer on the map through API, it just shows the transit lines and stations names, not clickable... even so I think that is very nice! Look at the screenshot, Pre3 with actual look, displayed the transit in New York.
    Transit isn´t supported by API, but not prohibited such a these tricks... as I know and I don´t want know more..

Last edited by 72ka; 08/01/2012 at 03:14 AM.
    jcmarcos, er dp and checkmate like this.
    And some other news, my Pre+ have scratched screen (R.I.P.), fell on the sharp stone .. it works, but the screen has horrible deep scratch. The good new is, partially thanks to your donations, looks like I can buy the Pre3 above. Then the app will be definitelly focused on Pre3 device, I´m looking forward to implement compass
    I'm a bit busy atm, but my spare Pre3 will be on the way to you this week. Took a bit to take that decision as I really would like KeePass on Phones in exchange for the Pre3, but we'll see...
    T-Pad likes this.
    Hi, I decided just to write somewhere the new results of Pre3 compatibility researching.
    Which are both amazing in themselves, and a joy to read about!

Google API provides two types of map tiles, standard and high-dpi tiles. The API check the device at start and loads high-dpi tiles, because the Pre3 has ratio 1.5, and the API rounds-up the ratio to 2
    Oh. And there's no possible trick to fool the API, and use standard tiles? Not only for my tired eyes, but also because they use less bandwidth... It would be great if you achieved that, and provided a setting to choose from.

android use special designed closed API, where the map can be scaled to any scale and the road names are in some layer, I can see that the road names are loaded after the map tiles.
    It's amazing the level of research you do on any subject. What a pity this Android advantage isn't available for anyone else... Talk about decompiling an Android Google map app, to see what it does? Wow...

Looks like I´m done with Pre3 changes, the map is 1:1 (small road labels), but works well. Other UI is scaled to 1,5.
    Not good for me, but I'll have to get used to that.

Because of battery drain issues, most of GPS core function was rewritten. Now i finally had I time to make all the Ares code away. And made some other steps to speed up. Disabled the poi labels on the map.
    I guess you are never satisfied! That's the best case for a programmer. These changes you mention are of the type that scare away most regular programmers.

partially thanks to your donations, looks like I can buy the Pre3 above
    That's great! Nobody deserves it more.

I found on the internet the trick, how to show transit layer on the map through API
    Very pretty! Who knows, perhaps somewhere lays another trick to choose map tile quality... Again, Jan, thankyou very much for all the effort you put in this, will try the new Pre3 version immediately!

12.    #812  
    Oh. And there's no possible trick to fool the API, and use standard tiles? Not only for my tired eyes, but also because they use less bandwidth... It would be great if you achieved that, and provided a setting to choose from.

It's amazing the level of research you do on any subject. What a pity this Android advantage isn't available for anyone else... Talk about decompiling an Android Google map app, to see what it does? Wow...
    Hi, I will continue to develop some solution, I'll see. Maybe Google add a option, who knows...

About Android... I'm still human, not android :-) Even so I know how to decompile the android apps, not know the ARM assembler... it is absolute low level code. The Android maps behavior is noticeable on my new cheap chineese Android tablet, what I bought a week ago, just as bigger mobile device for home and business trips. Device is nice, Android 4.0 not... love WebOS, I miss gestures and cards.
    Wow, the transit function looks great - I'll be in London soon and it would be amazing to see the underground overlaid on the map!

Just donated some more money to the cause :-)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I know how to decompile the android apps, not know the ARM assembler... it is absolute low level code.
    But I had assumed that "decompiling" an Android packed application actually gave you Java source code. Perhaps heavily obfuscated, but not real, juicy CPU assembler code (totally unaccessible, I reckon). For instance, that's how WhatsApp clone apps were born, decompiling the Nokia S60 Java version.

Hi,

I have just updated to 0.20.0 on my Pre3 and Touchpad, very nice indeed =)

I really love the "Added support to set destination in Navit"
    Nav in Gmaps is "ok" but Navit is much nicer.

I think they probably route differently though, as an extra option can a route be sent to Navit?

Donation "in the post" Keep up the amassing work.
    Oliveti D1000 --> Psion 3 --> Psion 3c.
    Palm III --> Palm 650 --> Palm Treo 680 --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pixi Plus --> HP Pre 3 / HP Veer. / Touchpad
  16.    #816  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOwl View Post
    Hi,

I have just updated to 0.20.0 on my Pre3 and Touchpad, very nice indeed =)

I really love the "Added support to set destination in Navit"
    Nav in Gmaps is "ok" but Navit is much nicer.

I think they probably route differently though, as an extra option can a route be sent to Navit?

Donation "in the post" Keep up the amassing work.
    Thank you! The route cannot be sent to Navit, the data format is different and I don`t know if supports route as launch parameter. If you know that Navit support this, let me know, some conversion routine is not impossible.

Anyway, I'm apologize that I didn't uploaded the next testing version for Pre 3. I was coding the KeePassW application and forget to upload the Google Maps.

Have a nice weekend!

Odesláno z mého GT-P6210 pomocí Tapatalk 2
    .... I was coding the KeePassW application ...

THIS will make some gizmo very happy I do believe!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Thank you! The route cannot be sent to Navit, the data format is different and I don`t know if supports route as launch parameter. If you know that Navit support this, let me know, some conversion routine is not impossible.
    No this is not supported by Navit. The only way to get it would be to as the original Navit team if they are willing to add support for it, as we only do the adaption needed to make Navit run on webOS.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    THIS will make some gizmo very happy I do believe!
    And all Pre3 users should be too, as a brandnew SIM-unlocked unactivated Pre3 device is on the way to Jan (just sent him the trackingcode).

So we all will get a optimized Maps app and a KeePass App for webOS-phones
    jcmarcos and checkmate like this.
  20.    #820  
    It is definitely right time for a new phone, because yesterday I bricked my Pre+ :-( Bricked by my android tablet, never, NEVER connect the Palm to the Android ICS tablet via usb otg cable! Phone doesn't boot at all, all is gone... terrible. I hope that it can be doctored, I'll see. But all files, photos are gone... very sad.