Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 123456789 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
    just installed .5 update. I have wifi turned off and have flown about 600 miles away from it's last fix. I opened up the app and within 10 seconds I had a pretty decent fix on my new location. Either Verizon is giving me some grace or this new update is finding a way to squeak out a GPS signal!
  2.    #62  
    Hi, the 0.0.6 is out!

I spend a long time on strange UI size for Pre3.. the Pre 3 includes some mojo widgets size workarounds because of its screen resolution, and google API doesnŽt like it and renders the markers bigger and overflowed.
    Now it is fixed (I hope), horrible work. The second biggest improvement in this version is Google API localization based NOT on system language, but on System format - why this? Because my country and other countries arenŽt supported by WebOS locale, only in formats. Now... Google maps are talking with you in language, what are you chosen in Device Reginal Settings -> Formats. Other minor changes are in changelog. And... for me, the app is found in search bar, I don't need to rename to "Czoogle Maps" and so on.. try it again, because i found some typos in my code... and, be sure, that you have NOT other app named "Google Maps".

About the accuracy, I read some GPS articles and accuracy is radius, then, i will not make any changes in formula. I think, it is correct. Or make me the opposite...?

And.. some screenshots from Pre3 emulator:

72ka
    Last edited by 72ka; 03/29/2012 at 02:47 AM.
    Nothing happens when "Search", "Map Types" & "Compass" buttons are pressed.

Change Request:
    Can you please relocate the "Street View"/"Directions"/"Show/hide traffic" button so it does not cover the "Google" link on the map?
    Maybe just moving it a little to the right of the "Google" link.
    Perhaps even better would be putting ALL buttons in the top "Google Maps" bar (+ & - zoom buttons as well).
    Last edited by WknThDg; 03/29/2012 at 04:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Nice work. It's awesome to have such great upgrades every two or three days!!!! THANKS. Now on with the feedback:

- Pre 3 GUI/buttons size: works great in portrait and landscape
    - big red pin to show chosen place: excellent!
    - localization works
    Other changes not listed:
    - popups to show that no street view exists, or that the route can't be calcuated. Both worked for me.

I don't have another apps with the same title, so I'm tweaking it back to Czoogle. ;-) i don't know why it doesn't work on my Pre 3 (2.2.4). Can any other Pre 3 users call the app with Just Type?

One minor thing: panning in both map and streetview are jerky. Anybody have this on devices other than the Pre 3?

The directions don't persist after switching to map back, although the blue line showing the road does.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Nice work. It's awesome to have such great upgrades every two or three days!!!! THANKS. Now on with the feedback:

- Pre 3 GUI/buttons size: works great in portrait and landscape
    - big red pin to show chosen place: excellent!
    - localization works
    Other changes not listed:
    - popups to show that no street view exists, or that the route can't be calcuated. Both worked for me.

I don't have another apps with the same title, so I'm tweaking it back to Czoogle. ;-) i don't know why it doesn't work on my Pre 3 (2.2.4). Can any other Pre 3 users call the app with Just Type?

One minor thing: panning in both map and streetview are jerky. Anybody have this on devices other than the Pre 3?

The directions don't persist after switching to map back, although the blue line showing the road does.
    Hi, panning are jerky, I know about it, this app is based on full javascript api and the panning events are called through mojo framework. At this time, I think is usable and I prefer to add more features than spending time with optimization. But... the speeding up is in Todo.

Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    Nothing happens when "Search", "Map Types" & "Compass" buttons are pressed.

Change Request:
    Can you please relocate the "Street View"/"Directions"/"Show/hide traffic" button so it does not cover the "Google" link on the map?
    Maybe just moving it a little to the right of the "Google" link.
    Perhaps even better would be putting ALL buttons in the top "Google Maps" bar (+ & - zoom buttons as well).
    Which version of WebOS do you have? For me it works in Touchpad emulator, WebOS3.0.5.676.
    About the buttons... Why to relocate them? For what do you need the "Google" link? Or, is there some legal issue?
    First of all, thanks for the app. Couple of issues:
    1. Why does the blue circle marking the location, increase in size when we zoom into the map? Why does the circle need to be so large? It unnecessarily covers up the image.
    2. The app works fine on the Pre3. but it works rather erratically on the TouchPad.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    First of all, thanks for the app. Couple of issues:
    1. Why does the blue circle marking the location, increase in size when we zoom into the map? Why does the circle need to be so large? It unnecessarily covers up the image.
    These questions were answered in this thread, just read.
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    The circle is indicating the radius of accuracy, so as you zoom in it gets larger. 75 feet is a smaller circle zoomed out than when zoomed in.

Thanks for a great app.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Jan, I still want/need it, but I don't think you should waste your time for France traffic data. Something's strange, and I think it's Google being evil, but they have every right in this case, because France is being just plain STUPID (link)

No Love for Google Maps in France
    Google was handed a half-million Euro fine in a French court:

With all the love in the air this week, there was no french kiss for Google Maps API. A recent French commercial court ruled that the free Google Maps API is anti-competitive. The court ordered Google to pay 500,000 euros. The money is clearly not the point, but rather how other countries are viewing evolving technology. Bottom line: APIs create new consumption points for all types of companies, not just tech companies. New consumption points for customers + businesses => user growth => revenue. Is the free API really anti-competitive? It will be interesting to see if other countries draw the line on “freemium” and paid APIs.
    Some of the discussion around the absence of this info through their API (it's availble on Google's own apps and website) says it's perhaps a bug, or a licensing issue (e.g. privately owned highways), but doesn't Google also crowdsource the info from Android handsets? Apparently it was available a bit in 2009, then gone again.

Here/s a funny hole in Europe, as big as the hole in the head of politicians and judges here. If Google wanted to have a little fun, they could just turn on traffic in certain regions so that the negative space would form a big middle finger.:
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Which version of WebOS do you have? For me it works in Touchpad emulator, WebOS3.0.5.676.
    About the buttons... Why to relocate them? For what do you need the "Google" link? Or, is there some legal issue?
    "Which version of WebOS do you have?":
    I'm using webOS 3.0.5 build 86.
    After further testing with v0.0.6, I've discovered that the problem is that I have to press the "Search", "Map Types" & "Compass" buttons multiple times to get them to eventually work.
    It seems that now there is a VERY small activation area at the very center point of these buttons, and it is MUCH smaller than the actual size of the button.

"About the buttons... Why to relocate them?":
    Since there is much unused space in the "Google Maps" bar, it seems logical to place all buttons there instead of unnecessarily covering up more areas of the map view (although small) & the "Google" link.
    It would also make the interface look cleaner by having all feature controls in one location (the "Google Maps" bar).
    More importantly, reason# 8 below.

"For what do you need the "Google" link? Or, is there some legal issue?":
    1. It gives you a quick access with your app to the actual Google Maps from your webOS browser to show/compare your current location that's displayed with your app.
    2. You can then bookmark locations you are at when using your app.
    3. You will then know your current latitude and longitude because it's within the URL.
    3. All features available with actual Google Maps are easily accessible... "My Places", etc...
    4. The "Google" link is there... why obscure it?
    5. As Goyena says in post# 72 below, the "Google" link can then be used to obtain traffic data for both CZ and F.
    6. I think there is a legal issue with obscuring the "Google" link (see #7 below), and it could give them even more reasons to implement further API restrictions in the future.
    7. Per the Google Maps API licensing>freely and publicly accessible link, in section 9.4 Attribution (a), it says the below:
    Content provided to you through the Service may contain the trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features of Google, its partners, or other third party rights holders of content indexed by Google. When Google provides this attribution, you must display it as provided through the Service or as described in the Maps APIs Documentation and may not delete or in any manner alter these trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features.
    8. #7 also applies to the + & - zoom buttons that currently obscure/disable the "Map data 2012 Google - Terms of Use link in the bottom right corner.
    9. With the app as is, if you later decide to submit it to the HP App Catalog and/or Preware, not complying with the Google Maps API licensing would most likley prevent the possibility of it being approved.
    Last edited by WknThDg; 03/29/2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added "Google" link reason #'s 5 (from post# 72), 6, 7, 8 & 9
  11.    #71  
    Hi, if you pan your map to Czech Republic, you can see the same that's similar... although we have traffic on maps.google.cz available. And/because I'm from Czech Republic, I will try to search a source for traffic layer for my Country and for France. Thank you for link to the API's article... but sadly, the Bing maps api doesn't provide traffic for our desired countries. I can't found usable API...
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi, if you pan your map to Czech Republic, you can see the same that's similar... although we have traffic on maps.google.cz available. And/because I'm from Czech Republic, I will try to search a source for traffic layer for my Country and for France. Thank you for link to the API's article... but sadly, the Bing maps api doesn't provide traffic for our desired countries. I can't found usable API...
    Poor us. Actually, in that case, moving the bottom-left button off the "Google" link is a slow workaround to obtaining traffic data for both CZ and F.

BTW, have you seen Panel's app? Gift: Simple gMaps for you
    It has traffic in it. Is that really an app or just a frame into the mobile website? It also takes a loooong time to load, even on wifi.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    The circle is indicating the radius of accuracy, so as you zoom in it gets larger. 75 feet is a smaller circle zoomed out than when zoomed in.
    Thanks for the reply. I figured as much that the larger circle represents the radius, but the question still remains, why do we need to have it be so darn big? I'd much rather not see the radius, than have the ugly large circle obscure the view.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    If you remove my accuracy visualization, I may get violent. It is sane, useful, and informative. Hell, its even semi-transparent. What about it obscures your view?
  15.    #75  
    "Which version of WebOS do you have?":
    I'm using webOS 3.0.5 build 86.
    It seems that now there is a VERY small activation area at the very center point of these buttons, and it is MUCH smaller than the actual size of the button.

More importantly, reason# 8 below.
    Hmmm... OK, this is probably negative side effect of UI changes for Pre3.. it is strange, Pre3 and Touchpad has both big resolution, but the systems are in UI rendering different.... it is strange for me to support both of them... not impossible, but requires more time of coding and especially testing. IŽll try to fix them in the next version.
    And.. weird is, that in emulator I am able to press button in whole area even in small area out of button.... You can see, that is impossible for me to be sure if the app is working on real device without owning one....

And, thank you for legal explanation... It looks like I am forced to change the UI. But... the "Google Maps" space is reserved for more features... it is not good solution to move the bottom button to the up. On the phones is this limited by device width and is not enough space for more buttons... I have idea to group the bottom buttons and center it.. IŽll see...

BTW, have you seen Panel's app? Gift: Simple gMaps for you
    It has traffic in it. Is that really an app or just a frame into the mobile website? It also takes a loooong time to load, even on wifi.
    It is just a webview container with mobile version... you are right. The behavior and features are not up to developer. It has positives and sadly many negatives. I know this app, and advanced (un)usability was the on of the reasons for coding my new app from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    If you remove my accuracy visualization, I may get violent. It is sane, useful, and informative. Hell, its even semi-transparent. What about it obscures your view?
    DonŽt worry... on the blue circle feature I spent hours of coding.... no way to force me to remove it! But if you compare the 0.0.5 and 0.0.6, I changed the opacity.
    Last edited by 72ka; 03/30/2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Hmmm... OK, this is probably negative side effect of UI changes for Pre3.. it is strange, Pre3 and Touchpad has both big resolution, but the systems are in UI rendering different.... it is strange for me to support both of them... not impossible, but requires more time of coding and especially testing. IŽll try to fix them in the next version.
    And.. weird is, that in emulator I am able to press button in whole area even in small area out of button.... You can see, that is impossible for me to be sure if the app is working on real device without owning one....

And, thank you for legal explanation... It looks like I am forced to change the UI. But... the "Google Maps" space is reserved for more features... it is not good solution to move the bottom button to the up. On the phones is this limited by device width and is not enough space for more buttons... I have idea to group the bottom buttons and center it.. IŽll see...
    "...impossible for me to be sure if the app is working on real device without owning one..."
    Correct... the emulator is good for some testing, but it can't always be relied upon unfortunately.
    I could do some beta testing for TouchPad compatibility... if you'd like me to, let me know and I can PM you my email address.

"On the phones is this limited by device width and is not enough space for more buttons..."
    Opps...I forgot about the limited portrait display width on the phones.

"...I have idea to group the bottom buttons and center it..."
    The phone portrait display width appears to have just enough room for those 3 bottom buttons to be placed between the "Google" link & "Map data 2012 Google - Terms of Use" link (if off-centered slightly to the left).
    OR
    You could add another bar on the bottom (similar to the current "Google Maps" bar on top) that contains those 3 bottom buttons (placed as described above).
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Holy Litigations, Batman!!! Nice paralegal footwork there! I love this community.

Quote Originally Posted by 72ka
    DonŽt worry... on the blue circle feature I spent hours of coding.... no way to force me to remove it! But if you compare the 0.0.5 and 0.0.6, I changed the opacity.
    Yes, yes, but can you make it....pink? ;-)
    The accuracy or opacity work well for me; although here it looks like I'm about climb the fence to break into Interpol Headquarters.

A small suggestion to help with the gui re-organization perhaps: tap (or hold-tap) to cycle through (or toggle) button visibility ( or full screen). If you're moving things around, don't forget to leave room for the scale in case you decide to implement. meters or feet, I'm not partial. ;-)

Last edited by Goyena; 03/30/2012 at 07:36 AM.
    bumped mine up to .6 but I seem to have some isues now on my 1.4.5.1 VZW Pre+. Some of the buttons do not seem to work, or rarely work. For instance, tapping the "my location" icon on the right end of the top bar usually does nothing...even after I get a wifi fix (not getting a GPS fix, VZW causes this). Tapping the layers icon worked a couple times, then no more...even though the "list" button om bottom left allows me to select street view.

Oh, I too believe the signal fix radius is one of the most important elements to the original Google maps & your version, so stay strong and keep this feature!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    On my device,a Pre 3 (2.2.4), I can activate each of the buttons equally well with a single touch anywhere on the button (I've tried near the edges and in the middle - no difference).
    ...Yes, yes, but can you make it....pink? ;-)
    Oh yeah, like Suzy's Pink Lemonade on that Verizon commercial!

The accuracy or opacity work well for me; although here it looks like I'm about climb the fence to break into Interpol Headquarters.
    So THAT's where Interpol headquarters is...make mental note...

By the way, the buttons are working better now...it seems a bit intermittent.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!