Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
  1.    #41  
    Hi, especially for Touchpad users, the 0.0.5 version enables location services for touchpad (I hope). And, some other improvements.. you can see in changelog. And I was updated the download link. Traffic is only for Google supported countries at this time.

spbb likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I've been trying to add keywords in your appinfo so you can call up the app using Just Type:

"keywords": ["gmaps","google","maps"]

...but it seems the choice of "title": "Google Maps" is blocking it; it's like a reserved word. Perhaps you can't use this if your app id isn't com.palm.app.maps or com.google.maps. In any case, I changed it to:

"title": "Czoogle Maps"

...and now when I type "czo..." or "goo..." or "maps..." I get your app.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah maybe this is why I don't see it in the universal search when I modified the appinfo. It did add it to the Default applications, so I guess I'll have to do some more coding on the phone today - fun
    Last edited by BoRn; 03/27/2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Brilliant work!!! THE BEST map app EVER!!!

I tested all the functions below are OK with v0.0.5 on my webOS 3.0.5 TouchPad in USA.
    GPS and accuracy in blue circle
    Map panning, zooming, map types
    Searching
    Directions
    Street View
    Show/hide traffic

The only minor issue left is adding a Back button for "Search Places..." screen.
    I also suggest a slightly larger sized app launcher icon (the one used for the "Google Maps HD" app that I linked to earlier is perfect).
    Last edited by WknThDg; 03/27/2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Works beautifully on the Pre 3, full screen and everything... except the buttons kinda small. Think it took the TouchPad scaling.

I'll play around with more insight on it.

One thing I noticed is not there is when you tap on Places on the map, it does nothing. Would be nice if it shows the bubbles like on the full version. Also searching place names didn't really work, I entered two known restaurants in my area but nothing came up in Places.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 03/27/2012 at 12:51 PM.
  5.    #45  
    Thank you, nice, if it works.. Yes, I know about many minor issues.
    In next version, I'll try to fix streetview on my Pre+ and my wife's HP Veer device with WebOS 2.1 where the streetview makes a Luna restart ... Then, for me is important traffic in rest of Europe, Ill try to implement the 3rd side overlays, if it is legal.... For this time, I hope that the other Touchpad users have this app usable.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Works beautifully on the Pre 3, full screen and everything... except the buttons kinda small. Think it took the TouchPad scaling.

I'll play around with more insight on it.

One thing I noticed is not there is when you tap on Places on the map, it does nothing. Would be nice if it shows the bubbles like on the full version
    Please, send me a screenshot of small buttons... In emulator looks good. Second, the advanced functions like tap to marker and more are in my Todo.

Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Please, send me a screenshot of small buttons... In emulator looks good. Second, the advanced functions like tap to marker and more are in my Todo.

I'll post some screenshots when I get home from work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'll post some screenshots when I get home from work.
    Took a short walk around the office and noticed that if I zoom in so the blue circle gets out of the map - the map didn't pan - i.e. keeping me in the center of the map.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    uploaded a few screenshots on my Pre 3 using ImageWorker and Yfrog:

Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    Took a short walk around the office and noticed that if I zoom in so the blue circle gets out of the map - the map didn't pan - i.e. keeping me in the center of the map.
    With what device and is it using "Auto Locate" WiFi location or GPS Radio?

I'd assume that if using GPS Radio, the blue circle would estimate accuracy of your current location based from actual GPS satellite signals as normal GPS receivers do, and therefore the blue circle should move on the map with the device.

Here's my theory if using the TouchPad’s "Auto Locate" WiFi location feature (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but this would explain your results and my tests below)...
    The blue circle will always stay stationary to where the wireless signal is originating from (the wireless router you’re connected to).
    Therefore, moving around your device (within the radius of the routers wireless signal) will have no effect on your location shown on the map and/or map panning.

Some questions I have/had about the blue circle size...
    Does using "Auto Locate" WiFi location vs. GPS Radio effect the size of the blue circle?
    More importantly, how exactly is the size of the blue circle is determined?

Possibly some answers to my questions above about the blue circle size...
    Based on tests I have made with my wireless router using this app, it seems I've concluded that the size of the blue circle represents an "estimated" coverage area of my wireless signal.
    My conclusion is based on me changing the TX power setting of my wireless router from 70mW to 28mW (Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/17/08) mega firmware).
    After doing this, the size of the blue circle was reduced ~50% (an impressively accurate representation based on the TX power setting change I made above).
    Although, I say this is "estimated" because my testing also determined that in reality, my wireless signal coverage drops-out at about only 40% within the size of the blue circle (at both the larger 70mW blue circle and the smaller 28mW blue circle).
    Therefore, (for me) the blue circle size representation of my wireless coverage is not as accurate it should be (but the early signal drop-out may be the TouchPad's fault, as it's my only wireless device to test with) as compared to the blue circle's accurate representation of my wireless router TX power changes.
    YMMV for others due to the brand/model of wireless router and it's firmware used.
    Last edited by WknThDg; 03/27/2012 at 04:49 PM.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    With what device and is it using "Auto Locate" WiFi location or GPS Radio?

I'd assume that if using GPS Radio, the blue circle would estimate accuracy of your current location based from actual GPS satellite signals as normal GPS receivers do, and therefore the blue circle should move on the map with the device.
    Hi, exactly... it is the feature. This is a map app, not tracking app... If you need, you can show your location by top right button, to center the map to the position a fit the circle.

More importantly, how exactly is the size of the blue circle is determined?
    The blue circle has a actual accuracy radius in meters. This value is determined for each fix from the system (it is a Mojo system service). My app reads the accuracy and draw a blue circle for each fix.
    Only one thing, Im not sure, if the GPS accuracy is diameter or radius... my app draw it as radius. I have to look for more information, if the accuracy is diameter, it is easy to change the formula.
    Hi, exactly... it is the feature. This is a map app, not tracking app... If you need, you can show your location by top right button, to center the map to the position a fit the circle.

The blue circle has a actual accuracy radius in meters. This value is determined for each fix from the system (it is a Mojo system service). My app reads the accuracy and draw a blue circle for each fix.
    Only one thing, Im not sure, if the GPS accuracy is diameter or radius... my app draw it as radius. I have to look for more information, if the accuracy is diameter, it is easy to change the formula.
    Ok, just to confirm my understanding of you explanation...
    Then "each fix from the system" ONLY occurs at initial app start-up and/or when the Compass (top right button) is pressed... Correct?
    Therefore, "each fix from the system" does NOT repeat automatically to update current location (as a tracking app would).

Based on my WiFi tests, when I reduced my WiFi TX power setting, it reduces the blue circle accuracy size (as it should).
    But When GPS Radio is used, is the blue circle accuracy size calculated differently by the Mojo system service (vs. when"Auto Locate" WiFi is used)?
  13.    #53  
    Ok, just to confirm my understanding of you explanation...
    Then "each fix from the system" ONLY occurs at initial app start-up and/or when the Compass (top right button) is pressed... Correct?
    Not exactly.... GPS fix (location and accuracy) is updated one times per second. It means, the blue circle on map is updated every seconds. And map centering occurs at initial startup and/or when the Compass (top right button) is pressed.

My english is bad, I know... I hope if is it now explained.

Based on my WiFi tests, when I reduced my WiFi TX power setting, it reduces the blue circle accuracy size (as it should).
    But When GPS Radio is used, is the blue circle accuracy size calculated differently by the Mojo system service (vs. when"Auto Locate" WiFi is used)?
    Accuracy is always receiving from system, the app only calls for accuracy value and it depends only on the system response. Here is the explanation of whole service: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...vices/gps.html
    In my app the accuracy =horizAccuracy.
    Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I've rarely if ever installed ipk files manually, so I have 0.0.4 now...and 0.0.5 is out. How do I update...do I delete the 0.0.4 first, then follow the same process (send ipk attached to an email, download, install with preware ipk installer as I did before?). Or, is there another way to get the latest and greatest of an evolving beta ipk?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

this app rocks! I installed it myself as well as recommended to my dad and gf
    Get this in the appstore, and take my damned money!
    (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the uncertainty sphere around your location. Brilliant!)

This makes me happy as a GIS/Remote Sensing person haha.

To say this runs a bit heavy on the Pixi+ would be a bit of an understatement. Is there anything that can be done to speed up operation? I'm on the Overclock kernel with 806mhz as my top speed, so...

Edit: After leaving the app open for about 5 minutes, it appears to have done all it needs to do, so operation is reasonably snappy now. Perhaps it was just first-launch work being done?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Wow! Just updated to .5 & fabulous job in load time & location fix. I tried it out while I was in the basement floor of the hospital and it right away zeroed in on me and even placed me pretty much dead on in my location within the building.

I haven't read the entire thread, but will do so. Will this eventually be able to use Google's latest maps build to take advantage of more features? Either way, awesome job & excited to see where it grows!
    Really, really nice app! I just tried it out on my Touchpad and it is fast! I can't get street view to work, but outside of that it is fantastic! Well done
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Really, really nice app! I just tried it out on my Touchpad and it is fast! I can't get street view to work, but outside of that it is fantastic! Well done
    need to be or center the map on major road. Sometimes the app reports that there's no street view for the current location but sometimes it just have a blank white screen.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Not exactly.... GPS fix (location and accuracy) is updated one times per second. It means, the blue circle on map is updated every seconds. And map centering occurs at initial startup and/or when the Compass (top right button) is pressed.

My english is bad, I know... I hope if is it now explained.

Accuracy is always receiving from system, the app only calls for accuracy value and it depends only on the system response. Here is the explanation of whole service: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...vices/gps.html
    In my app the accuracy =horizAccuracy.
    Sorry for all the questions, but I think I got understand it now (and your english is quite good).

When either "Auto Locate" WiFi or GPS Radio is used...
    ...map centering occurs only during initial startup and/or when the Compass button pressed.
    ...GPS fix occurs>location & accuracy is determined>the blue circle size & placement is drawn on the map (continually updated automatically 1X per second)

If "Auto Locate" WiFi is used, the blue circle's...
    ...center point will NOT change, it remains fixed at a single location on the map (the wireless access point/router location).
    ...size (based on radius or diameter) can change, due to WiFi signal strength and/or TX power.

If GPS Radio is used, the blue circle's...
    ...center point location on the map WILL change IF the device is moved to different locations on the map.
    ...size (based on radius or diameter) can change, due to GPS Radio signal strength and/or number of satellites connected to.

GPS Accuracy...
    You said "I'm not sure, if the GPS accuracy is diameter or radius".
    Can you please determine/verify this?
    Since 2x radius=diameter, I think the app is currently using diameter for GPS accuracy.
    You said "if the accuracy is diameter, it is easy to change the formula."
    If it is diameter, can you please change it to use radius?
    This would then explain why currently "my wireless signal coverage drops-out at about only 40% within the size of the blue circle".
    Changing it to radius should correct accuracy of my wireless signal coverage drop-out, so it should then occur nearer to the outer edge of the blue circle.
    Therefore, when either "Auto Locate" WiFi or GPS Radio is used, the accuracy of the blue circle size would be corrected.
    Last edited by WknThDg; 03/28/2012 at 06:29 PM.
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast