Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
    I'm wondering if it makes any sense to have a separate thread...or threads...for beta testing work? This thread is pretty long for being such a young thread, and it might be difficult to have this thread serve as both an informational/instructinoal (re: use of the app) and a testing thread.

It might be easier for the developer to follow the status of requests vs. bugs/issues if they were separated. I'm just thinking outloud...and making this thread longer.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

2.    #482  
    Hi, I made deep research of problem with restarts on streetview on webos 2.1. The panorama view in Google APi V3 use two types elements for rendering the tools in the panorama view. The elements are SVG or CANVAS - which element depends on browser core. In our WebOS case is CANVAS. I have explored the sources and Palm patches for WebOS 2.1 and 2.2.4 where streetview works. The sources and palm patches are here Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm and Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm.

My finding is - webkit core in 2.1 is compiled WITHOUT SVG and CANVAS support.... so that is not possible to have streetview panorama on these devices Why Palm???

I'm disappointed, because my Palm Pre + is running WebOS 2.1 and I have not the streetview .... what to do? I next version, I have to forbid the streetview for WebOS 2.1, because the restarts are unacceptable. Or.. I'll try to make my own basic streetview from static panorama tiles...

If I'm deeper to the WebOS, more problems and bugs are visible... thanks Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    I had no trouble installing 0.1.4 on my Pre3
    I tried on both my Pre3 and Touchpad and I have the same error message.
    I may uninstall the previous version and retry....

Update: An uninstall and fresh install fixed the issue with updating the app !!!
    Many thanks for bringing Google maps back to us
    I'm loving the new rotate screen while tracking feature. But since the map doesn't rotate the street names properly how bout a type of tracking similar to how Trapster tracks location on google maps? Smooth scrolling and easy to see direction

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by vasekvi; 05/13/2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hptuser View Post
    Thank you Jan for this app. Great!
    quick question - location fix on version 0.1.4 isn't working on my HPTouchpad 3.0.4. I don't have bluetooth-GPS. Can this app use the wi-fi Location Services already available. On touching the "locate me" icon top-right of the app, there's "Wait for GPS fix" error. Or, is this a problem with "Location Services" on my device? Thanks again. Keep up the great work.
    I've got Location Services enabled on my WiFi TouchPad (3.0.5), and it works great in town with GM. Haven't tried it yet out in rural areas.

If you've already enabled Location Services, and if you're in an area with lots of WiFi hotspots, then maybe the problem is that you're running 3.0.4? Can't say why that would matter, but it's the one thing that's different about your config from mine, based on what you've shared so far.
    @72ka, for 0.1.4:

On my Pre+ (1.4.5.1), tapping an address in Contacts loads GM, with the address and confirmed address dropdown displayed; pasting an address in the GM search bar immediately gives me a dropdown with the confirmed address.

On my TouchPad (3.0.5), tapping an address in Contacts loads Bing; pasting an address in the GM search bar does nothing except display the address--no dropdown list, no response to tapping <Enter>--the app just sits there. If I then make any change to the pasted address (type a space, comma, or whatever), the confirmed address list immediately pops up--apparently the paste doesn't register until another edit event takes place.
    Last edited by bethel95; 05/15/2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added GM version #
    it would be great if it can support the digital compass on Pre3 and allow the map to rotate according to direction.
    Testing latest 0.1.4 version, in my trip to the office today, starting from a different location, so I really needed directions this time.

The map rotation is very impressive from my point of view: I didn't know WebKit could be used to rotate map tiles that way, makes for a great achievement. I'd say it's more than adequate, but there's a problem when there are other elements on screen, such as pins and banners: They get funky rotations and deformations (couldn't get a screenshot, I was driving!). Of course, you've seen those artifacts in your own tests, and paerhaps you've already thought about not attempting to paint them onscreen when doing rotation. They should be painted back when stopped at a traffic light, for example (precisely, when rotation is not active).

In the end, you app couldn't make it for me, because it was too hard of a task: An important part of the trip is in tunnels, where there's no GPS. When I got into open air again, of course your app got location immediately, but I lost the directions lines, and couldn't follow.

Could you think of some way of recalculating directions periodically? Or put a button or menu function to do it manually? I guess it should be done immediately after recovering GPS location, if that can be detected.

Oh, noticed the screen doesn't dim enymore while your app is working. Great!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Wow really impressed with rotating, didn't know it was possible. still had minor bugs, but still. kudos.
    I still wish the map didn't grey out after I minimize/maximize it. I always have to tap the map in order for it to be useable again after I switch cards. Does this happen to anyone else (1.4.5)
  10.    #490  
    Hi all, first of all, thank you for reporting the map rotation. Iīll see, if exists possibilities to improve it... but Iīm skeptic.

Just for information, what will be in 0.1.5. I have done some minor things - better search (user feedback if no suggestions found, show the suggestion panel after pasting and address to the search bar) .

The big change is very basic, but usable and stable StreetView for WebOS 2.1 devices.. as I mentioned before, the full version of streetview couldnīt be running on WebOS 2.1. I made custom panorama with 4 static tiles after 90deg. It is better, than nothing, even better than device restart

The second big change is search for nearby places. You know the life situation, you are walking on the street and looking for hotel/coffe etc.... just type hotel in the search bar and press Enter.. the app shows you the nearest hotels with more information. Look at the screenshot.

So.. the basic idea is, if you are typing to the search bar and you select the place from the suggestion panel, the behavior is the same as before... app shows you one place marker. And if you need search more nearest places, just type the same and hit enter. I think it is the easiest way how to distinguish your request for one place or nearest places.

I changed the marker images... for one place is push pin like before and for bunch of nearest places I use the smaller pin.

Forgot the horrible looking rating stars.. I have to make a a better looking stars... I added the rating direct to bubble, because I think itīs important to see immediatelly the rating of coffe/hotel...

So.. stay tuned!
    oh i really hope google does not change the api in the near future. i can't think of what you would have to change in this nearly full featured app. *thumbsup*
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hi all, first of all, thank you for reporting the map rotation. Iīll see, if exists possibilities to improve it... but Iīm skeptic.

Just for information, what will be in 0.1.5. I have done some minor things - better search (user feedback if no suggestions found, show the suggestion panel after pasting and address to the search bar) .

The big change is very basic, but usable and stable StreetView for WebOS 2.1 devices.. as I mentioned before, the full version of streetview couldnīt be running on WebOS 2.1. I made custom panorama with 4 static tiles after 90deg. It is better, than nothing, even better than device restart

The second big change is search for nearby places. You know the life situation, you are walking on the street and looking for hotel/coffe etc.... just type hotel in the search bar and press Enter.. the app shows you the nearest hotels with more information. Look at the screenshot.

So.. the basic idea is, if you are typing to the search bar and you select the place from the suggestion panel, the behavior is the same as before... app shows you one place marker. And if you need search more nearest places, just type the same and hit enter. I think it is the easiest way how to distinguish your request for one place or nearest places.

I changed the marker images... for one place is push pin like before and for bunch of nearest places I use the smaller pin.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

Forgot the horrible looking rating stars.. I have to make a a better looking stars... I added the rating direct to bubble, because I think itīs important to see immediatelly the rating of coffe/hotel...

So.. stay tuned!
    WOW, 72ka thanks for all your work. I can not imaging if you would have joined us a year earlier. I could not imaging that all you do is possible.

Thanks
    HaPe
    ^+1
    Thanks for all the great work!
    That looks great! This app has really evolved into something great. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Something I noticed while GPS tracking with map rotation turned on a few days ago. I took about a 25 minute drive with tracking turned on, and noticed when I got off of the highway that the map didn't seem to represent where I was, but it was still moving. After getting a bit further up the road, I realized that the maps were still tracking my path, but they weren't keeping up with me, to the point that I was watching a replay of my trip that was several minutes behind. I gather from this that the Google API is building a list of points and directions as it tracks me, and working through the list generating all of the maps, but is it possible the rotation slowed the rendering enough that it just wasn't able to draw them fast enough? I haven't taken another trip of significant length since then to try it again with map rotation turned off.

For device background: Running on a Sprint Pre on 1.4.5, overclocked to 1ghz (pretty sure the profile had not reset to the default again as it often does). No other apps running.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    thank you for reporting the map rotation. Iīll see, if exists possibilities to improve it... but Iīm skeptic.
    That's fine, rotation is already impressive, in my opinion. Could you add a switch to turn it off? Not that I don't love it, but to ease reading of street names, as they are sometimes upside down!

better search (user feedback if no suggestions found, show the suggestion panel after pasting and address to the search bar).
    That's great, as yesterday I was unable to find my home street. But it's google to blame:

I typed "perales, pinto, madrid" (that's street, city, state), and nothing came up, but now I've found (through google's regular maps web page) that typing "calle perales, pinto, madrid" does the trick. The word "calle" is the spanish for "street", no idea why such a general term makes the search work.

usable and stable StreetView for WebOS 2.1 devices.
    Impressive again: Something's broken in that version of webOS, and you fight to make your own to give a solution The world needs tireless programmers that don't surrender, like you!

search for nearby places
    Both usefull and a good showoff for friends with ordinary phones.

Oh, I forgot, yesterday I found that the "Update directions" function is not working as expected. See, I started a trip back home, and google suggested some silly, longer route. So I started my own and, in the middle of it, used the update directions function to force a recalculation from where I was then: No way, the starting point was the same as it was when I started trip. I tried further several times, and always the same. Shoudln't "My location" be updated to where I am at the moment? Also, did you see my previous post about some form of auto-recalculating, like regular GPS navigators do?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Those new pics look great. I love the idea of the star rating. Is there any way to add the phone number to the bubble as well? Or at least when you click the bubble have it in that screen. 1 or 2 clicks would be ideal for phone numbers especially when driving. Which i would never do
    usable and stable StreetView for WebOS 2.1 devices.
    Thank you sooo much!

Not only that you keep developing in an ingenious way, you also take the time to think about the different devices and the different webos versions. (Glad that your wife's device is a veer as I have a veer myself)
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    That's fine, rotation is already impressive, in my opinion. Could you add a switch to turn it off? Not that I don't love it, but to ease reading of street names, as they are sometimes upside down!
    Some way to turn of the Pre3's screen rotation would be nice. It makes it hard to read if you try to rotate the screen to get the roads on the map to match your point of view, and it automatically rotates the screen (landscape vs portrait mode).
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Some way to turn of the Pre3's screen rotation would be nice. It makes it hard to read if you try to rotate the screen to get the roads on the map to match your point of view, and it automatically rotates the screen (landscape vs portrait mode).
    If being able to read the labels is important, don't turn on map rotation. It's off by default.