Page 23 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by roughty View Post
    Just to verify: so is it impossible or barely possible to have your app as the default application for maps? I changed it and other poeple also tried, but still Bing Maps/HP Maps remains my default app for maps.
    I've successfully set GM as the default on both my TouchPad (3.0.5) and on my Pre+ (1.4.5.1), and have thus far not seen any Bing pop-ups since doing so (about two weeks ago). This includes both linking from Contact addresses and Just Type searches.

There must be some other variable in play--perhaps 2.x versions of webOS? Differences in HB patches installed?

@72ka: What system configuration data would you like us to report to help nail down this disparity in the default mapping functionality?

At the very least, may I suggest to everyone that you report your device name and webOS version when either reporting an anomaly or stating that the function under discussion works OK for you. If we all do this, patterns may begin to emerge that will give 72ka some insight into the problem(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Sure, I've easily set it up so. Problem is, after Google Maps starts, it doesn't go to the given direction (for exmple, when you tap in the "Address" field of a contact). But if I search for exactly the same direction, of course it finds it.
    I've had a hard time with finding directions pasting in an address and when the app is set as the default. This has occurred on my 1.4.5 Pre, 2.2.x Pre 2, and 3.0.5 Touchpad.

What I've noticed is that the address search is very picky sometimes. The address search as you type appears the only search. So when you are typing, when you are satisfied with the match returned you press the address match and it shows the result. If you paste in an address in the search field and it doesn't find a result, you are stuck. I noticed on my Touchpad just now if I type a space after pasting the address, it triggers a search and I can tap a result address (provided it finds a match). The same would likely hold true for an address passed as a parameter. That address may very well get a good match, which I confirmed using my own (very basic) app that searches with Google's API.

I can't offer a lot of suggestions not having seen the code, but I had some thoughts based on my experience. Is the result being checked for an exact match against the input? That would require the input to be formatted very precisely. Perhaps if no match is found using the normal result, after some delay perform another more relaxed search.

I'll try rebooting my TouchPad to see if it will start obeying my new default app setting for addresses. I changed it to Google Maps but it is still launching the HP Maps app.

If there are a lot of typos in this, it's because the keyboard in this Pre is getting pretty bad.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/07/2012 at 11:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cerenoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos
    after Google Maps starts, it doesn't go to the given direction (for exmple, when you tap in the "Address" field of a contact).
    When I tap the address field of a contact, it fills in the address.
    Ouch! Mine doesn't! It pops up a warning about GPS not available (I usually have it turned off, that can't be a problem, can it). It sits there showing the american continent, as if does when started from the launcher, no visible clue that I asked it to search for an address.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I've successfully set GM as the default on both my TouchPad (3.0.5) and on my Pre+ (1.4.5.1), and have thus far not seen any Bing pop-ups since doing so (about two weeks ago). This includes both linking from Contact addresses and Just Type searches.

There must be some other variable in play--perhaps 2.x versions of webOS? Differences in HB patches installed?
    Just giving some additional data: on my Veer 2.1.1. it is not possible to have GM as the default. It neither works with address searches in the browser nor with Just Type. The browser automatically launches Bing Maps/HP Maps and in Just Type it does not show, only Bing Maps/HP Maps shows there.

I can give details on my HB patches if necessary.
  5.    #445  
    Hi,
    about the pasted address in address field. The search field listen only for keypress. I never tested it with clipboard. I have to fix it. I never expected that use. And as mentioned before, Iīll try to add some better feedbcak to user, if the result is found or not etc...

About the Contact->Directions... the Contact app is calling Map with parameter "mapto", the app response is correct.

Anyway, I made some cosmetic changes in the GPS position point and accuracy circle, look at screenshot. And I made Preferences scene, for next version, I separated Preferences to General and Experimental, in General will be stable options and in experimental will be development features.

The new version has one week delay, I know, but I spent lot of time in zooming and map heading feature. (I tested in real while driving to the hospital and back) And because of my son birth, my life is upside-down When i have done the Preferences, then Iīll go to make fixes for address bar.
  6.    #446  
    Quote Originally Posted by roughty View Post
    Just giving some additional data: on my Veer 2.1.1. it is not possible to have GM as the default. It neither works with address searches in the browser nor with Just Type. The browser automatically launches Bing Maps/HP Maps and in Just Type it does not show, only Bing Maps/HP Maps shows there.

I can give details on my HB patches if necessary.
    Hi, looks like the Bing maps launch is hardcoded in browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    Hi, looks like the Bing maps launch is hardcoded in browser.
    Oh, pity. So it seems that Veer should be upgraded to webOS 2.2.4...

about the pasted address in address field. The search field listen only for keypress. I never tested it with clipboard. I have to fix it.
    Can it have any connection to my case, in which the address in a contact is not sent to your app when I tap on it?

I spent lot of time in zooming and map heading feature. (I tested in real while driving to the hospital and back)
    MEGA-HERO!
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  8.    #448  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Can it have any connection to my case, in which the address in a contact is not sent to your app when I tap on it?
    Yes, because Contacts are sending request for directions and actuall app behavior is wait to GPS fix, then fill the dest. address field with request and origin by GPS location. If you Cancel the GPS wait dialog, the directions wil be canceled too. My idea was, "why to open directions in case where you have not GPS fix"...
    First of all, thank you for the great application.

Please tell me what am I doing wrong. Map layer enabled, traffic layer enabled. The traffic is shown in surrounding countries (Italy, Austria, Germany), while it is not shown in Czech Republis (!), Slovakia and France. Any hint?

EDIT: I am using Palm Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4
    Last edited by adamos; 05/09/2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Yes, because Contacts are sending request for directions and actuall app behavior is wait to GPS fix, then fill the dest. address field with request and origin by GPS location. If you Cancel the GPS wait dialog, the directions wil be canceled too. My idea was, "why to open directions in case where you have not GPS fix"...
    Sometimes, having just the requested location (destination) mapped is enough, and directions from the current location aren't needed. I know the streets in my town pretty well, so if a new destination is mapped, I will know how to get there without having to wait for a GPS fix.

If I later change my mind (after the GPS fix is available), I can just use the tag on the destination push pin to select "Route to here".

IMO, this approach would be a better default behavior than jumping straight to requesting routing directions from GM, given that an instantaneous GPS fix is a very rare event.
    checkmate and jcmarcos like this.
    Honestly, I'd much prefer just getting a map of the address, and then select 'route to here' from that location.

I hope I am not sounding negative. I really do love this app, an I'm just making a suggestion that I think would make it better. Perhaps this could be an option in the settings. I'm somewhat inclined to think that more people expect it to just map the address, and then choose to get a route to that location only if they need it. That is the behavior of Google Maps on my Android phone. The Telenav app prompts me to choose what I want when I send an address there (which is nice, but I prefer just a map by default)
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/09/2012 at 09:30 AM.
    So, it sounds like it's part of the Contacts app that is causing the directions to be requested, rather than Google Maps defaulting to this. I tested this theory with the Calendar app (with Ubercalendar installed) and when you tap the location field and select Map, it opens GM and goes directly to the address. If you tap the location field and select Directions, then it opens GM, waits for a GPS fix, and then shows how to get there.
    Long story short, it sounds more like a patch is needed to change the function in Contacts to a "display map" type of call rather than a "display directions" type of call.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    If you like my patches or have found them to be helpful to you, please consider donating here for the time I put into making them.
    - All my programming is done in my spare time, so any donations help motivate me to spend more of my limited time on webOS.
    I like the revised blue circle of certainty...it is more subtle, I think folks will like it better. Don't forget though, there are many of us that desperately want to keep the circle. It gives us an idea of what kind of lock we have. For me who often has a lousy lock (Verizon Pre+ gremlins) it is important to see at a glance how much I can trust the location being shown on my screen.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

14.    #454  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamos View Post
    First of all, thank you for the great application.

Please tell me what am I doing wrong. Map layer enabled, traffic layer enabled. The traffic is shown in surrounding countries (Italy, Austria, Germany), while it is not shown in Czech Republis (!), Slovakia and France. Any hint?

EDIT: I am using Palm Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4
    Hi adamos, you are doing right, but Google API doesnīt provide traffic infos in these countries through their API... itīs a legal issue.... check this thread from begining, it was discussed. It is sad that I canīt use the traffic in my app in my country
  15.    #455  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Honestly, I'd much prefer just getting a map of the address, and then select 'route to here' from that location.

I hope I am not sounding negative. I really do love this app, an I'm just making a suggestion that I think would make it better. Perhaps this could be an option in the settings. I'm somewhat inclined to think that more people expect it to just map the address, and then choose to get a route to that location only if they need it. That is the behavior of Google Maps on my Android phone. The Telenav app prompts me to choose what I want when I send an address there (which is nice, but I prefer just a map by default)
    Hi, you have the same idea as me. I donīt like system patches and workarounds, the options in preferences sounds good. The question is, it is enough to add option like "override all launch requests as address search" or option for showing a dialog "what to do?" ... for me is easier the first solution, only toggle button in options.
    Your are not sounding negative... Iīm open to all hints and demands.
    Look at the screenshot, this is my suggestion:

Last edited by 72ka; 05/10/2012 at 02:03 AM.
  16. vba
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Hi,
    about the pasted address in address field. The search field listen only for keypress. I never tested it with clipboard. I have to fix it. I never expected that use. And as mentioned before, Iīll try to add some better feedbcak to user, if the result is found or not etc...

About the Contact->Directions... the Contact app is calling Map with parameter "mapto", the app response is correct.

Anyway, I made some cosmetic changes in the GPS position point and accuracy circle, look at screenshot. And I made Preferences scene, for next version, I separated Preferences to General and Experimental, in General will be stable options and in experimental will be development features.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

The new version has one week delay, I know, but I spent lot of time in zooming and map heading feature. (I tested in real while driving to the hospital and back) And because of my son birth, my life is upside-down When i have done the Preferences, then Iīll go to make fixes for address bar.
    Is it possible to set exhibition mode behaviour in preferences? I use your excellent app in my car on a touchstone, it's very annoying that during navigation the phone switch to exhibition mode automatically. If I use Navit it prevents the auto-switch to exhibion mode.

Thank you in advance! And congratulations to your son!
    Hi, you have the same idea as me. I donīt like system patches and workarounds, the options in preferences sounds good. The question is, it is enough to add option like "override all launch requests as address search" or option for showing a dialog "what to do?"
    For me, the"GPS unavailable" popup is disturbing, and contrary to the trend that apps should have no pop ups.
    On startup, I'd like your app to always go to the location given. If no location was given, go to "home" (that's something yet to do). If there's no "home" defined, attempt to read the GPS.

The icon that represents the GPS would be coloured red if GPS is not available.

This way you would not need a preferences option whose description can be hard to understand. Less is better.

18.    #458  
    Quote Originally Posted by V B A View Post
    Is it possible to set exhibition mode behaviour in preferences? I use your excellent app in my car on a touchstone, it's very annoying that during navigation the phone switch to exhibition mode automatically. If I use Navit it prevents the auto-switch to exhibion mode.

Thank you in advance! And congratulations to your son!
    Hi... thank you for this hint, because I have in ToDo only preventing from sleep when on charger or when follows map is active... I add it to ToDo.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi... thank you for this hint, because I have in ToDo only preventing from sleep when on charger or when follows map is active... I add it to ToDo.
    you do not need to add an extra ToDO entry. The function to prevent the device from going into sleep mode also prevents the switching to the exhibition mode on a touchstone.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    you do not need to add an extra ToDO entry. The function to prevent the device from going into sleep mode also prevents the switching to the exhibition mode on a touchstone.

HaPe
    See? WebOS developers are some nice, helpful people! I wish I was...a webOS developer...Being a nice, helpful person is within my ability, just need to practice that ability! Being a webOS developer is not in my ability set.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!