Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
    Man this is plain brilliant! Great, great job!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Děkuji vám!!! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

My Pre 3 was soulless without a real functioning maps app. I had been using an ipk cobbled together by forum member Panel as a workaround, but because of the wait time (it was still faster than the original maps app) I kept cursing how Google was evil because I thought they were throttling data somehow to non-Android phones.

Can you somehow pull down French traffic data? The dev for BFGMaps was only able to enable US and a few other countries, but Panel's app did that just fine.

I echo everything said above! The most kick-*** 0.0.4 app ever. Streetview in both orientations, completely stable, rapid as all get-out, clean interface. If you keep going like this, version 1.0.0 is going to drive my car, fill the tank and make me a cup of coffee while I nap. (although I'd be in heaven with just Traffic and Latitude)

There's a few apps in Preware that run a Latitude service in the background, in case you could build off of them.

Thanks again. I found the donation link the About menu in the app. Sent $15!
    Last edited by Goyena; 03/26/2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  3.    #23  
    Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that the app is working on your devices. I was an Android user before two months and lack of quality google maps application for WebOS surprised me. So, next ToDo's: Traffic and Latitude...
    Thank you for support.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    In that case, welcome to the community as well. Hope you like it around here. There are many Pre 3's floating around if you want to try the latest and the last webOS handheld :-(

The place search seems only to do addresses and geographical places. Are POIs deliberately not taken into account to make the search faster?

I like the zoom buttons; I find it faster than pinch-to-zoom. There's another (underused) gesture you might want to experiment with: forward swipe in the gesture area. You could implement it to toggle street view, or cycle through display layers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    Download attachment - email it to your phone - download it - make sure preware has the ipk association enabled and just click on the ipk attachment. That's all - you won't regret you've done this. This is the best map app I've ever used. I think this is more complete than anything and doesn't deserve alpha or beta label.
    I just installed 0.0.2 last night and there we have the 0.0.4 with all the fixes reported. Didn't try it on the TP but will once I get home
    Got it and installed! It is very nice for such an early release. It does look more like a finished product than I would have expected.

Alas, I could not get a GPS fix, so it doesn't seem to have THAT magical effect. All my 'spells' that used to work on the Verizon GPS gremlins appear to have little to no effect anymore. I finally got a fix once I turned on my wifi, and it zeroed in on the location of our office wifi. But THAT does me no good out in the wild, driving down the road.

But despite my Verizon GPS curse that is my own burden to bear, I do like what 72ka has here.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

This is to the author. I played around and I don't see a way to get back to the written directions once you get the route displayed on the map. Maybe I'm missing something and maybe it's on your TODO list. Anyway keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Got it and installed! It is very nice for such an early release. It does look more like a finished product than I would have expected.

Alas, I could not get a GPS fix, so it doesn't seem to have THAT magical effect. All my 'spells' that used to work on the Verizon GPS gremlins appear to have little to no effect anymore. I finally got a fix once I turned on my wifi, and it zeroed in on the location of our office wifi. But THAT does me no good out in the wild, driving down the road.

But despite my Verizon GPS curse that is my own burden to bear, I do like what 72ka has here.
    I've heard about Veriozon GPS issues.
    Not sure if you tried this: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ed-cached.html

I've done it on my original Pre- comm board since I used it in Europe 2 years ago in wifi mode.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    For some reason, route does not display on my device*); map seems to be zoomed just right -- it contains start- and endpoint -- but the route itself doesn't seem to be drawn. How can I collect any debug data?

Other than that -- great app, fast and sleek.

*) GSM Pre- with 1.4.5
    Wonderful 0.0.4 version ;-)

Works like a charm on my Pre3.

Thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hope you will submit this to preware and then do a version with Enyo for the pre3 and touchpad users.
    submit to preware is ok, but enyo is a no go for international users with special characters at the moment since enyo does not support the symbol key on phones
    This looks great! I will install it once my replacement pre- arrives.
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Great app, very speedy on my vzw pre3. Thank you!
    Nice work!!!
    Looks very promising for the Palm Pre users but please continue to make it more TouchPad friendly though.

I tried using v0.0.4 but...
    1. With my TouchPad it does not ever get a GPS fix (with "Auto Locate" selected in the TouchPad's "Location Services").
    Pressing the Compass button displays "Error" and says "Wait for GPS fix!".
    2. When selecting Google Maps>About... and/or while in the Search Places... screen, there's no way to go back (needs a "Back" button added to the those screens).
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    Nice work!!!
    Looks very promising for the Palm Pre users but please continue to make it more TouchPad friendly though.

1. With my TouchPad it does not ever get a GPS fix (with "Auto Locate" selected in the TouchPad's "Location Services").
    2. When selecting Google Maps>About... and/or while in the Search Places... screen, there's no way to go back (needs a "Back" button added to the those screens).
    I'm just going out on a limb here and saying you don't have a 4G TouchPad, which also means you don't have a built-in GPS Radio. If I'm wrong, my apologies, but that's my guess based on your previous posts.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    This is to the author. I played around and I don't see a way to get back to the written directions once you get the route displayed on the map. Maybe I'm missing something and maybe it's on your TODO list. Anyway keep up the good work.
    Hi... you are right, it is in my ToDo list. I prefer to add all desired basic functionality and then improve UI and behavior.
    Thank you.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    Nice work!!!

Hi... for this time is GPS in TouchPad generally disabled... sorry, I don´t know well Touchpad, I´am new in WebOS generally. I thought, that TP hasn´t GPS... its surprised me. Back button in About.. right, I will add it.

Generally, I have limited options in testing (I have Palm Pre Plus and my wife HP Veer), in our country Palm/HP never sold WebOS devices. And i don´t know anyone else who ever had a WebOS device, only few people at our czech internet forum. So I'll be glad for all your responses and I will try to develop a functional universal application, even for touchpad.
    For this time, my ToDo is full... I am working on traffic, it will be quite hard task to show traffic in Europe, like France and my country, because of Google doesn´t support these countries and I´m affraid, that there will be some legal restrictions.
    bradmeister1 likes this.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    In that case, welcome to the community as well. Hope you like it around here. There are many Pre 3's floating around if you want to try the latest and the last webOS handheld :-(

The place search seems only to do addresses and geographical places. Are POIs deliberately not taken into account to make the search faster?

I like the zoom buttons; I find it faster than pinch-to-zoom. There's another (underused) gesture you might want to experiment with: forward swipe in the gesture area. You could implement it to toggle street view, or cycle through display layers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Hi, thank you. The search is at this time only geocoder implementation... because my daily use of maps is: search address, look to the map, look at the street and GO - And this was my desired basic functionality... But I think, the POIs search will be very useful... good hint.
    the TouchPad (normal one) does not have a built in GPS, but the Location functions should respond as long as there is a WiFi connection, and it will use WiFi location.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    72ka,

Please take a look at these two other homebrew Google Maps app examples below to compare them with yours.
    They both work with the standard TouchPad "Auto Locate" WiFi location feature without needing to use GPS Radio.

Google Maps v1.0.0
    and...
    Google Maps HD v1.0.0

Maybe you can use these app examples to add a WiFi location feature to your app as well.
    This would then add compatibility for all TouchPads with your app.
    Other than a working WiFi location feature with the apps above, your app has several more features that TouchPad users would prefer.
    Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I've been trying to add keywords in your appinfo so you can call up the app using Just Type:

"keywords": ["gmaps","google","maps"]

...but it seems the choice of "title": "Google Maps" is blocking it; it's like a reserved word. Perhaps you can't use this if your app id isn't com.palm.app.maps or com.google.maps. In any case, I changed it to:

"title": "Czoogle Maps"

...and now when I type "czo..." or "goo..." or "maps..." I get your app.

Hope this helps.
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast