Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
Like Tree392Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by marc25v View Post
    works great on the Veer with 2.2.4. Only thing that needs fixing is the language issue. My veer is in English, but regardless the google directions are in Spanish I think.

thanks a keep up the good work!
    As mentioned, if you have Regional Settings - Formats set up to the Spanish, the directions are in Spanish.... why do you have Formats for different language than your native?
    Anyway, you are not alone... when the Preferences scene will be done, I add a language settings overrides.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
    why do you have Formats for different language than your native?
    If you're curious, I can answer that...I'm American, married to a French lady, living in Lyon. I'm fine with dd/mm/yy, but I hate commas in my numbers, and out of necessity, require instead $ in (most) currency fields.

My regional settings are thus:
    Language: EN (US)
    Formats: Ireland (for the European date format, but 9,999.00 number format)
    Phone numbers: France (+33) (otherwise phone numbers are seriously messed up)

So your Geopizzalocator is serving me up hot tasty map tiles in Irish (uh...English), which is ok by me, but if I were more well adapted, I'd be using French formats and be served up pizza directions in French.

Great to hear about the preferences possibilities!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    AT&T Pre 3 (2.2.4), over wifi.
    I tested the 1.2 from Preware and the 1.2dev version from the link above, at default speed to 1901 Ghz overclocking.

- I'd choose the 1.2dev version over the 1.2 any day. Previous implementations panning were jerky no matter what speed your finger moved. The newer 1.2dev is almost smooth with slow panning, while faster (corner to corner in one swipe) is much faster, although by no means smooth.

- no perceptible difference for me between 1.4 and 1.9 Ghz overclocking, other than my Pre 3 heating up.

Thanks for the big research *and* implementation.
    Love the app, and wish that the original had been as wonderfully useful as this one.

I am having trouble with the app integrating into the system though. I have Google Maps set as my default application for addresses, but when I click a map from a Google search or try to click "Maps" when I just type a search, nothing happens.

I have reset the phone twice now. Anyone have a similar issue?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    You can also try the new features, new place info scene and "just type to search" in app (the search bar is activated by any keypress)
    - both new features are great, and work wonderfully

I noticed the reappearance of the map scale bar just now - thanks! Just wanted to be a pain-in-the-**** and point out that the top part is obscured by the zoom button group. When displaying directions, the additional arrow button group (to advance/rewing directions) block the famous Google logo (latecomers refer to first pages of thread for intriguing discussion) as well.

Instead of moving the buttons a few pixels up with varying results on a Veer, Pre, Pre 3, Touchpad, etc, here some suggestions that you might choose from, in conjunction with the pref dialogue perhaps:

- forward/back swipe to move through direction (this is actually easier for me in a car or on a bike - i don't have to be so exact as when tapping a button); gestures are forgotten by many users, so you'd either have to maintain the buttons, or pop-up an info bubble somewhere on how to navigate this way
    - single tap on screen or time out (configurable in prefs) to toggle between fullscreen (no buttons/searchbar) mode and back
    - kill zoom buttons for multitouch implementation

Picsel's Smart Office has a funky, single touch zoom function, where you hold a tap, then slide up or down to zoom. Since it's PDK, it's rapid enough to make it work, but even then, I always end up engaging it by mistake and find it original, but annoying.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I have reset the phone twice now. Anyone have a similar issue?
    Not me. What's your device and OS version?

Behavior on my Pre 3 (2.2.4) is to JustType, hit "Google Maps" in the Launch & Search, and I'll see it input in the search bar. If contained in Google's POI or places, a grey picklist will appear underneath the searchbar.

Addresses tapped in contacts do the same, but the address is entered into directions to, instead of the search.

@72ka: If Google has no hits, is it possible to have the results list pop anyway with "no results"? Sometimes I type something and wait...not sure if my search term is simply not found, or if my connection is slow.
    Goyena-

Have an insurance refurbished Pre running 1.4.5.

Addresses from contacts load Google Maps. But nothing else seems to self-boot.
    There are no changes in location service between these versions...are you sure that you are logged-in in your google account and 3G data enabled?
    yep logged in and 3G enabled. am uploading image. i have uninstalled and will install orig 1.2 from preware

[edit] hmmm, the preware version is coming up with the same error even though it worked fine before. will restart device and see if that magically fixes the issue

[edit 2] and restart magically fixed it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jetz; 04/25/2012 at 10:36 AM.
    I'm also not able to set the app as my default application for addressed. This is on my Veer (webos 2.1.1.).

If I set it as my default application, Bing maps will nonetheless open.
    Works much smoother on pixi 1.4.5 overclocked. Works like a charm. Nice work. Look forward to more updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Many thanks for your reply. The latest version is working great with POIs on my Pre3!
    I have a few more suggestions/comments:

• Is it possible to add a 'Double-tap to zoom' feature?
    • Is it possible to add GESTURE+W and GESTURE+S shortcuts for 'zoom in' and 'zoom out'? This matches the '+' and '-' keys on the Pre keyboard.
    • I have made Google Maps the default mapping app on my Pre3. When I go to a contact in the address book and tap on their address, Google Maps opens successfully, however it goes straight to the 'Directions' dialogue. Is it possible to make the default action for this just a red pushpin in the map?

Keep up the great work - I am just about to donate $5 via Paypal.
    I have yet more suggestions!

• It would be useful to have a 'tap and hold' menu with the options of 'Drop Pin Here', 'Route From Here', 'Route To Here' and 'Center Map Here'
    • 'Center Map Here' would also be handy in the menu when you tap on an existing pin. It means you can zoom in precisely on that point without having to keep adjusting.
    • When I type a search within Google Maps, is it possible to include my contacts within that search? That way I don't have to open the contacts app and find the address for someone.

I hope these suggestions are useful!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    If you're curious, I can answer that...I'm American, married to a French lady, living in Lyon. I'm fine with dd/mm/yy, but I hate commas in my numbers, and out of necessity, require instead $ in (most) currency fields.

My regional settings are thus:
    Language: EN (US)
    Formats: Ireland (for the European date format, but 9,999.00 number format)
    Phone numbers: France (+33) (otherwise phone numbers are seriously messed up)

So your Geopizzalocator is serving me up hot tasty map tiles in Irish (uh...English), which is ok by me, but if I were more well adapted, I'd be using French formats and be served up pizza directions in French.

Great to hear about the preferences possibilities!
    That's quite a melting pot of needs you have there!

I'm wondering if we should alter language settings based on food...so if you search for fish and chips, you will get British settings...if you search for Pad Thai you get Thailand settings, and when you search for pizza you get New York City...or Chicago...depending on your definition of pizza.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

13. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    so I have a suggestion. I don't know now hard this would be to implement, but in the old google maps, pinch to zoom would scale the currently loaded tiles in real time, and then load the closer or farther tiles once the zoom action was finished. This allowed for easier zoom visualization and a much larger range of zoom levels.

While the zoom does happen in realtime on this app, it zooms in preset levels. This can sometimes make it hard to zoom because there is no instantaneous feedback as to how much zoom is being applied.

BTW, I tried the dev version on my pre- overclocked to 1ghz and it was a lot better. Keep up the good work.
    The scenario is like this:
    1. Click the app icon to start the app
    2. In the portrait mode of touchpad, while the app is starting up, a dialog popup to ask for permission to use location service(it was turned off by default)
    3. Click allow once
    4. App started with a map with zoomed out view of all the continents, without a mark for current location. Note it, this is successful with version 0.0.8
    5. Click the locating icon (circle with a cross at the right upper corner)
    6. An error message popup with the following message:
    Error: wait for a GPS fix!
    I can't get it to search for generic terms, like say 'campground' or 'fast food'. It tries to match what i'm typing, but only named locations.

I used the directions feature in conjunction with traffic today, made my trip very nice! Keep it up, you're doing some sweet work.
    Quote Originally Posted by highrock2 View Post
    The scenario is like this:
    1. Click the app icon to start the app
    2. In the portrait mode of touchpad, while the app is starting up, a dialog popup to ask for permission to use location service(it was turned off by default)
    3. Click allow once
    4. App started with a map with zoomed out view of all the continents, without a mark for current location. Note it, this is successful with version 0.0.8
    5. Click the locating icon (circle with a cross at the right upper corner)
    6. An error message popup with the following message:
    Quote Originally Posted by highrock2 View Post
    Error: wait for a GPS fix!
    If you don't have a 4G TouchPad, then there is no GPS radio inside.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18.    #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    I don't know now hard this would be to implement, but in the old google maps, pinch to zoom would scale the currently loaded tiles in real time, and then load the closer or farther tiles once the zoom action was finished.
    Hi, its hard... but Im working on it this time. I made some tricks how to do this... partially is done, but not ready. The trick is explore all google map page and search for map tiles div elements, then snap them under one div with id, where I can use the webkit scale command. I tested it and the zoom is very smooth... but it need more time, how to finalize this trick. Yesterday I was completed the routines to determine the map tiles. If the map is loaded, the count of tiles is 9 (one tile in the middle and 8 tiles around, each tile is 256x256px). The good news is, that could be possible to have smooth zoom. But I cant promise it...

Im expecting baby birth at Sunday... therefore I uploaded now the 0.1.3 to the Preware, because I dont know, what will be in next days
    vba and jcmarcos like this.
  19.    #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by Instrumental27 View Post
    I can't get it to search for generic terms, like say 'campground' or 'fast food'. It tries to match what i'm typing, but only named locations.

I used the directions feature in conjunction with traffic today, made my trip very nice! Keep it up, you're doing some sweet work.
    Hi... It could be, my next task after more speed optimization is this feature. My idea is: If you type some generic like "fast food" and press Enter, the map shows you all fast foods in range 500m (default range). If you type "fast food@1000" the app shows you all fast foods in range 1000m.... thats my idea. What do you mean about this thing?

Anyway, yesterday I made trip with the app in my car... I have to implement the rotation of the map depending on heading, because I was confused where to turn my car
  20. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Like a boss

btw, know this isn't quite the correct usage but, whatever