webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > New App: Todo.txt Enyo
New App: Todo.txt Enyo

Old 03/08/2012, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Marking off one of my new years resolutions I've gone and released my first application written for webOS. Unfortunately since I haven't posted much here on webOS Nation I can't insert links yet into my posts so hopefully people will be able to find their way to the goods. I'm sure that changes once I'm more active in the forums.

This is the initial version of Todo.txt Enyo has been published on the HP App Catalog beta channel. It’s available now to those who are willing to try it out. I’m sure there are plenty of bugs to be discovered so feedback will be very much appreciated.

Todo.txt Enyo is a mobile application for managing your todo.txt (todotxt.com) file on webOS devices written using the EnyoJS framework. It has been released under the Apache License 2.0 and can be found on github. (github.com/thrrgilag/Todo.txt-Enyo)

Current Features
  1. Set and sort by priority
  2. Task completion (and optionally creation) dates
  3. “Just Type” quick actions and universal search
  4. Internal storage support
  5. Dropbox support

HP App Catalog (developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.monkeystew.todotxtenyo.beta)
Source code (github.com/thrrgilag/Todo.txt-Enyo)

Screenshots can be found on the HP App Catalog page or on (monkeystew.org/apps).
thrrgilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Manic
Old 03/12/2012, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I posted a minor update (0.1.1) last night to github and to the App catalog beta channel which fixes a bug with the delete function.
Old 12/05/2012, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I found your app after looking around for the current state of ToDo apps on webOS. I'm really interested in using "The Cycle" as developed by Tom Limoncelli. You can watch his videos here: tomontime.com - specifically Episodes 8 - 13.

It has a lot in common with the todo.txt data model, but there is a critical difference between Tom's Cycle and todo.txt (and for that matter, almost every other ToDo app available). His model breaks things up by days because he acknowledges that you have a finite number of hours in each day. Sounds obvious, right? Well most apps don't take this into account and you wind up with what Tom calls, "The Never Ending List of Doom." While todo.txt tries to avoid this situation with projects, contexts, and priorities, I personally feel that Tom's Cycle is a central paradigm that leverages those other aspects. Without the concept of a "today" and "tomorrow" that have a finite number of hours, you're not going to begin to be able to think constructively about what you can accomplish in a given work day, week, or month.

Would you be interested in incorporating some concepts from the Cycle into your todo.txt app? After reading about the extensibility of the todo.txt data model, I have some pretty concrete ideas how to incorporate the Cycle into your app. I could even help with some of the programming (though I'm not a professional programmer, I work in a closely related field as a sysadmin and have some basic coding experience).
martinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll take a look at the videos. One of the things I have on my roadmap for this and it's sister application is to incorperate add-on functionality much like the todo.txt cli enjoys today. There is already an add-on for the cli that allows you to mark a future task and as such filter them out of your normal view. So adding an equivilant feature should be doable. This certainly sounds like a good canidate for a first extension beyond the core features.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0