webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > New App: Todo.txt Enyo
New App: Todo.txt Enyo
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By thrrgilag
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 3 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By thrrgilag

Old 03/08/2012, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Marking off one of my new years resolutions I've gone and released my first application written for webOS. Unfortunately since I haven't posted much here on webOS Nation I can't insert links yet into my posts so hopefully people will be able to find their way to the goods. I'm sure that changes once I'm more active in the forums.

This is the initial version of Todo.txt Enyo has been published on the HP App Catalog beta channel. Itís available now to those who are willing to try it out. Iím sure there are plenty of bugs to be discovered so feedback will be very much appreciated.

Todo.txt Enyo is a mobile application for managing your todo.txt (todotxt.com) file on webOS devices written using the EnyoJS framework. It has been released under the Apache License 2.0 and can be found on github. (github.com/thrrgilag/Todo.txt-Enyo)

Current Features
  1. Set and sort by priority
  2. Task completion (and optionally creation) dates
  3. ďJust TypeĒ quick actions and universal search
  4. Internal storage support
  5. Dropbox support

HP App Catalog (developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.monkeystew.todotxtenyo.beta)
Source code (github.com/thrrgilag/Todo.txt-Enyo)

Screenshots can be found on the HP App Catalog page or on (monkeystew.org/apps).
thrrgilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Manic
Old 03/12/2012, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I posted a minor update (0.1.1) last night to github and to the App catalog beta channel which fixes a bug with the delete function.
Old 12/05/2012, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I found your app after looking around for the current state of ToDo apps on webOS. I'm really interested in using "The Cycle" as developed by Tom Limoncelli. You can watch his videos here: tomontime.com - specifically Episodes 8 - 13.

It has a lot in common with the todo.txt data model, but there is a critical difference between Tom's Cycle and todo.txt (and for that matter, almost every other ToDo app available). His model breaks things up by days because he acknowledges that you have a finite number of hours in each day. Sounds obvious, right? Well most apps don't take this into account and you wind up with what Tom calls, "The Never Ending List of Doom." While todo.txt tries to avoid this situation with projects, contexts, and priorities, I personally feel that Tom's Cycle is a central paradigm that leverages those other aspects. Without the concept of a "today" and "tomorrow" that have a finite number of hours, you're not going to begin to be able to think constructively about what you can accomplish in a given work day, week, or month.

Would you be interested in incorporating some concepts from the Cycle into your todo.txt app? After reading about the extensibility of the todo.txt data model, I have some pretty concrete ideas how to incorporate the Cycle into your app. I could even help with some of the programming (though I'm not a professional programmer, I work in a closely related field as a sysadmin and have some basic coding experience).
martinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll take a look at the videos. One of the things I have on my roadmap for this and it's sister application is to incorperate add-on functionality much like the todo.txt cli enjoys today. There is already an add-on for the cli that allows you to mark a future task and as such filter them out of your normal view. So adding an equivilant feature should be doable. This certainly sounds like a good canidate for a first extension beyond the core features.
Old 09/03/2014, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hi, I tried to download this from the direct link on your page. The link seems to be broken. Any chance of a fix? This app seems to work OK, so I want to put it on other devices, with the file on Dropbox. I'm surprised you have withdrawn it from the catalogue. Have you considered submitting it to Preware or the catalogue at enyojs.com ?

Last edited by Preemptive; 09/03/2014 at 11:52 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2014, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Hi, I tried to download this from the direct link on your page. The link seems to be broken. Any chance of a fix? This app seems to work OK, so I want to put it on other devices, with the file on Dropbox. I'm surprised you have withdrawn it from the catalogue. Have you considered submitting it to Preware or the catalogue at enyojs.com ?
My first reply must be at the mercy of the mods because I embedded a link. I fixed the link on monkeystew.org so you should be able to grab it now. Let me know if you have any issues.

I pulled it from the app catalog thinking I was going to drop it altogether. Of course now my interest has been re-ignited seeing some of the news in the last week or so. Yes I probably should look into getting it into preware at the very least.
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 09/05/2014, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I apologise. I missed your reply - but as you say, maybe there was some auto or human moderation!

I could think of some additional "bells & whistles", but I like this app because aside from dropbox,this is a to do app that works across devices without signing up to an external service.

webOS never had much of a built in to do app and I'd say that being in Enyo makes this a good candidate for being the default app for LuneOS - especially as it can also keep everything on device with the local file option. Another good app is outline tracker, but that is local or external service. That nests tasks, but I don't know how well that would work with the simple approach of todo.txt.

Thanks for fixing the link. I'm glad to hear your interest is reignited.

If you would like me to offer suggestions or bug reports (none seen yet! ;-), then I'm happy to do so.

I'll add one now: At the moment, syncing across devices for many apps seems to require a third party service. It's unlikely that LuneOS will be able to connect to HP/Palm Profile servers, so a service like owncloud may be a good 'user-controlled' option for the future.

Last edited by Preemptive; 09/05/2014 at 08:36 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eblade likes this.
Thanked By: eblade
Old 09/06/2014, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Your app is linked to here: Todo.txt: Future-proof task tracking in a file you control

It's good to see, but it's a link to the app catalogue... so you might want to fix it. :-)
Old 09/06/2014, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've installed it on LuneOS and it seems to work just fine fyi.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 09/06/2014, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Your app is linked to here: Todo.txt: Future-proof task tracking in a file you control

It's good to see, but it's a link to the app catalogue... so you might want to fix it. :-)
Thanks for catching that. I'll get a request in to have it updated to point back to my site, to future proof the download source.
Old 09/06/2014, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
I've installed it on LuneOS and it seems to work just fine fyi.
Excellent, thanks for trying it out. I'll be upgrading the code base to work with Enyo 2 but I'm glad to hear that the Enyo 1 will still work in the meantime.
Old 09/07/2014, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I originally tried to download from a link in a blog post:
http://monkeystew.com/downloads/com...._0.4.1_all.ipk

This redirects to: http://monkeystew.orgdownloads/com.m..._0.4.1_all.ipk

When I add in the missing "/", I get a 404.

The link from the apps header in the top bar is https://fry.monkeystew.com/downloads..._0.4.1_all.ipk

This brings up an untrusted warning in the browser.

So the site links seem to have problems.
Old 09/07/2014, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Gah, that'll teach me to update links without actually testing them first. Okay hopefully I got them all correct now, let me know if there are still problems. I also have a pull request in to the todotxt site to fix the link there so hopefully they'll accept that soon.

On a related note I have 0.4.2 ready to roll which fixes dropbox authentication on LuneOS. But it's dependent on a browser patch that I'm working on currently and will submit pull requests for soon. Guess I'm jumping back into webos dev fully.
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 09/16/2014, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Successfully downloaded! I now have it on all devices. :-)

I've been using this: todotxt.net on the desktop. It's great to be able to sort by date (and other options), but each criteria seems to be the sole criteria - it's not 'nested' if you like. So I can't get date order and priority order for example.

It would be great if there were more sorting options in your Enyo app & nesting would put it ahead even if it were by performing successive sorts - I realise it maybe difficult to do this.

Anyhow, thanks for your efforts so far - looking forward to trying the next version when it's up.

BTW I've had no Dropbox authentification problems...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0