webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > C64 Emulator Frodo
C64 Emulator Frodo
Like Tree9Likes

Old 03/04/2012, 08:56 AM   #41 (permalink)

lookin good so far, ill have a proper checkover/play later today
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2012, 10:18 AM   #42 (permalink)

Hi I just loaded and have working Lords of Midnight.
Question which key is mapped to the restore key ? I am using both the virtual keyboard and the HP bluetooth one.

As per manual i need this key to work.
c64sets.com : The Lords of Midnight Manual Page 28
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2012, 12:59 PM   #43 (permalink)

New version 1.0.7 online:

https://github.com/downloads/rosc77/..._1.0.7_all.ipk

Changes:
- Improved user interface, larger fonts
- Saving / loading snapshots
- Antialiasing option

Known Issues:
- Strange sound behaviour, not able to reproduce on host platforms
- RESTORE key: Need to investigate..., not supported, yet.
- CURSOR keys also missing (maybe I use the virtual joystick for cursor keys when the keyboard is enabled)

Many thanks in advance to everyone testing and giving feedback.

Cheers,
Roland
rosc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by geekpeter, Paul_D, renater
Old 03/10/2012, 03:31 PM   #44 (permalink)

Have been playing around a bit more and I'm impressed. Even so that I tried to do some programming and save my small piece of work. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work in the usual way (e.g. save"myprg",8 or with ,8,1). Even with 1541 emulation on. There is no error, but there is also no file created in the c64 directory which I can load back. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyone already figured this out?
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2012, 04:13 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renater View Post
Have been playing around a bit more and I'm impressed. Even so that I tried to do some programming and save my small piece of work. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work in the usual way (e.g. save"myprg",8 or with ,8,1). Even with 1541 emulation on. There is no error, but there is also no file created in the c64 directory which I can load back. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyone already figured this out?
youd probably need the image of a blank 1541/1541-II disk which youd attach first in the emulator (same as when running a game) then you could perform save/load operations onto.

try http://www.d64editor.com/

Make a blank D64 image with the above tool and attach it in the emulator then try your load/save operations, load "$",8 should show it as blank.
Thanked By: renater
Old 03/10/2012, 04:46 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
youd probably need the image of a blank 1541/1541-II disk which youd attach first in the emulator (same as when running a game) then you could perform save/load operations onto.

try D64 Editor

Make a blank D64 image with the above tool and attach it in the emulator then try your load/save operations, load "$",8 should show it as blank.
Thanks Peter, should have remembered it when I played with Vice on an Amiga years ago. My knowledge is getting rusty. Attached an empty .d64 file. Just unzip to Touchpad, copy to the c64 folder and open from within Frodo (click file in the menu to open). If you need more empty disks, just repeat process but rename .d64 file ;-)

Love it!

BTW Geos doesn't load :-( For the newbies Geos is a gui for the c64. Only for geeks :-)
Initial screen starts briefly and then reset.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EMPTYD64.zip (379 Bytes, 14 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by renater; 03/10/2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Geos doesn't load
Old 03/10/2012, 06:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Frogger works nice with keyboard and joystick emulation. Prefer keyboard myself.
Gamebase (gb64.com) is your source for more games. T64 are tape files and do work. G64 are binary disk files and are (currently?) not supported. So no Summer Games unfortunately :-(
Old 03/11/2012, 03:01 AM   #48 (permalink)

Hi,

...just wanted to mention: Summer Games should work.

Here's a little trick that I more and more use:

1) Turn on True Drive emulation
2) Turn on Warp Mode
3) Load what ever you want
4) If loaded, just turn off Warp Mode

That should help run some more games without having to wait for ages.

...I also more and more use snapshots as they are quite cool - takes 1 second to run a game - especially In combination with the "Commander" app to maintain directory structure, quite nice.

Cheers,
Roland
Old 03/11/2012, 04:34 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosc11 View Post
Hi,

...just wanted to mention: Summer Games should work.
Possibly, but the original is copy protected and therefore comes on .g64 files instead of d64. .g64 are not recognised by Frodo as far as I understand.

And yes, I start to appreciate the snapshot function. It makes games readily available!
Old 03/12/2012, 03:02 PM   #50 (permalink)

Another update:

https://github.com/downloads/rosc77/..._1.0.8_all.ipk

Changes:
- Fixed control panel input issues (file list scrolling and picking)
Old 03/12/2012, 03:22 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Peter, should have remembered it when I played with Vice on an Amiga years ago. My knowledge is getting rusty. Attached an empty .d64 file. Just unzip to Touchpad, copy to the c64 folder and open from within Frodo (click file in the menu to open). If you need more empty disks, just repeat process but rename .d64 file ;-)

Love it!

BTW Geos doesn't load :-( For the newbies Geos is a gui for the c64. Only for geeks :-)
Initial screen starts briefly and then reset.
im that sad i actually still have the version of GEOS that came with my 1541-MK2, 1 of the disks is buggered now tho, was gutted as geos wouldnt copy/backup at the time, think back then i had to use some $random Freeze Machine backup i had.

ahhhhh the good old 1541-MK2, was a nice upgrade from the MK1 if you didnt want the drive sounding like a dot matrix printer having a fit or seizure.

hmm now back to playing Lancelot, i always sucked at that game, love the fact it mocked you if you did anything un-knightly.
Old 03/12/2012, 03:39 PM   #52 (permalink)

I totally forgot about GEOS. Seems like there as a memory expansion that went along with that. Knowing me it's all still in the basement somewhere, hah, Bit rot might have taken the disks even if they're there. Maybe I'll get curious enough to look.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 03:59 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
I totally forgot about GEOS. Seems like there as a memory expansion that went along with that. Knowing me it's all still in the basement somewhere, hah, Bit rot might have taken the disks even if they're there. Maybe I'll get curious enough to look.
Vice had actually an option to emulate the ram expansion. Frodo doesn't unfortunately. But you don't need RAM expansion to run GEOS. GEOS could use the 1541 as a ram expansion. It might actually the reason why it doesn't work or because of the fast load option which also came along with it. Not a biggie, just nice to have and to show off with. :-)
Old 03/16/2012, 03:55 AM   #54 (permalink)

Update: Frodo for webOS version 1.0.9 is on the way to the App Store.

For direct download, you can still use the github archive:

https://github.com/downloads/rosc77/..._1.0.9_all.ipk

Have fun!

Roland
Old 03/16/2012, 07:48 AM   #55 (permalink)

just need sound sorted and this is fully win in every way.
Old 03/16/2012, 02:56 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
just need sound sorted and this is fully win in every way.
Noticed that it doesn't work with Zinio app open after some usage. Exits after a few seconds. Probably a webOS/Zinio problem as I noticed that before with other applications.

For me it's the missing BT keyboard cursor keys functionality and improved sound to make it closer to perfect.

Nice to have:
- Loading Geos
- Using .g64 files (for those copy protected games/apps)
Old 03/17/2012, 10:54 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Noticed that it doesn't work with Zinio app open after some usage. Exits after a few seconds. Probably a webOS/Zinio problem as I noticed that before with other applications.

For me it's the missing BT keyboard cursor keys functionality and improved sound to make it closer to perfect.

Nice to have:
- Loading Geos
- Using .g64 files (for those copy protected games/apps)
GEOS starts, but crashes due to an illegal CPU opcode - which in the end means it's something the frodo core does not support, ... C64 asm gurus probably could get us more hints on this...

.. unfortunately same with g64 files, not supported by frodo and quite complex to implement.

Yes, forgot to mention the cursor keys - now working while the virtual keyboard is active.

Roland.
Old 04/18/2012, 11:02 PM   #58 (permalink)

This is cool.

Great to see the blue c64 screen on my touchpad.
never looked better lol.

Is there a guide or instruction manual I can get my hands on also?
Thanks

I've tried out a few games.

Blue Max worked well.
Barry Mcguigans boxing working pretty much as it should.

I have a cd i got from ebay with 6000 C64 game files on it lol

10 ?"Frodo Rocks"
20 goto 10
run

Last edited by theVenerable; 04/19/2012 at 12:13 AM.
theVenerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2012, 10:02 AM   #59 (permalink)

Hi,

thanks for the nice feedback.

The user manual and some other info can be found at:

https://github.com/rosc77/frodo4webos/wiki

Cheers,
Roland
Old 08/09/2012, 01:18 PM   #60 (permalink)

im appreciating this app more and others, since i tried to find the same or similar for android and ios, with some android emu's ranging from ok to utterly non functional, even worse theres utterly nothing like this (except some crap commercial limited crap) on ios even in homebrew.

thought to myself, ah ill try and get my c64/amiga addiction soted on android and ios, and im left wondering why the more popular devices cant even do this :|

just have to keep my hopes up now for a webOS port of UAE4ALL, doesnt look like the other 2 can give me it, midn you i said i have all 3 of the variants, i dont have anything by RIM yet, i assumed the bulk of their apps were android apps, might have to research them as well.

cheers again for this app btw, i still use it, hope you get the time 1 day to investigate the sid issue.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0