Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Thanks, Peter.

I downloaded some games. I put the D64 files in that directory. They do show up in the emulator, but when I click them nothing happens. It puts me back at the ready prompt. I tried with several.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    yup read my last post again (i prolly shoulda made it clearer instead of the usual rush/walloftext), once youve attached an image and returned to the prompt, tap the top right corner of the screen, a ready made load command will auto insert and run.
    Ah! That works. Thanks, Peter. Will it load games that come in multiple files? I can get single file games to load, but multiple file games (trying Guild of Thieves) seem to hang.
    Ah! That works. Thanks, Peter. Will it load games that come in multiple files? I can get single file games to load, but multiple file games (trying Guild of Thieves) seem to hang.
    yeah im not too sure on games that need disk swaps, best see how the dev responds to that one, i didnt have any luck on those but i havent tried many multi disk games as yet, i assumed youd just attach a new image, and it would pick that up and carry on maybe on its own or after a keypress, not sure tbh.
    Loaded up leaderboard golf, weird to see the screen paint after all these years. Can't figure out how to control it, don't recall how on a real C64 much less the emulator controls, but it was cool just to see it load.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Loaded up leaderboard golf, weird to see the screen paint after all these years. Can't figure out how to control it, don't recall how on a real C64 much less the emulator controls, but it was cool just to see it load.
    hold fire to make the yellow bar go up, release just before you hit top, and tap again just before it hits the horizontal line near the bottom when the bar comes back down, think you slice it left/right depending on how far off the horizontal line u were.

sad i remember everything from most games, sat here playing ace2, still remember how to change weapons/speed up slow down etc :|

as for the screen draw, yeah i was playing some text adventures with minimal drawn gfx i liked back in the day, such as gremlins, subsunk and lancelot, oh happy days. (txt adv only bareable because of a physical keyboard atm)

kinda sad in todays era of adventure gaming, i have the latest and greatest uncharted games and more yet im sat here on my touchpad getting excited that i can once more type in the commands "kill gremlin with sword".
    This is so great to see up and running. Anyone get Mayhem in Monsterland running. I can't get past the title screen. I'm going to have to load this up on my 64 to see what I'm doing wrong.

The controls need work. Almost impossible to play Krackout or Arkanoid even though they load and run fine.

This is great work for a Beta/Alpha release.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    This is so great to see up and running. Anyone get Mayhem in Monsterland running. I can't get past the title screen. I'm going to have to load this up on my 64 to see what I'm doing wrong.

The controls need work. Almost impossible to play Krackout or Arkanoid even though they load and run fine.

the controls will always suffer until the dev gets the speed issue sorted over time, same for the sid playback, considering the starter stages hes at, its still impressive what hes done so far in such a short time.

if u need function keys or joystick port swaps, to get a game launched check the far right set of buttons when your on the disk/tape loader page.

/me goes back to playing the game "Detective" i didnt manage to finish the first time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    hold fire to make the yellow bar go up, release just before you hit top, and tap again just before it hits the horizontal line near the bottom when the bar comes back down, think you slice it left/right depending on how far off the horizontal line u were.

sad i remember everything from most games, sat here playing ace2, still remember how to change weapons/speed up slow down etc :|

as for the screen draw, yeah i was playing some text adventures with minimal drawn gfx i liked back in the day, such as gremlins, subsunk and lancelot, oh happy days. (txt adv only bareable because of a physical keyboard atm)

kinda sad in todays era of adventure gaming, i have the latest and greatest uncharted games and more yet im sat here on my touchpad getting excited that i can once more type in the commands "kill gremlin with sword".
    Hah, kinda sad I guess yes, but me to. I found the text manual at github and was able to figure out the joystick emulation well enough to play the first hole on leaderboard, thanks for your help. I'm not going to admit to how many strokes, , but hey I was learning. Played hole 1 again and got 1 under par so I can learn, hah. Wonder what other games I've forgotten about from back in the day.
  9.    #29  
    Hi,

...hereby I promise to improve on the documentation...

Cheers,
    Roland
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post

Any ideas on how to improve input are welcome - I've been trying Arkanoid as well and was quite unhappy with the controls - maybe we need different input modes...
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the controls will always suffer until the dev gets the speed issue sorted over time, same for the sid playback, considering the starter stages hes at, its still impressive what hes done so far in such a short time.

if u need function keys or joystick port swaps, to get a game launched check the far right set of buttons when your on the disk/tape loader page.

/me goes back to playing the game "Detective" i didnt manage to finish the first time around.
    Actually, I traced down the speed problems - it's an open bug in the SDL implementation of webOS. Doesn't happen for OpenGL contexts - so, by simply using OpenGL the speed issues should be gone and there will be a frame rate of 25fps (frame-skip = 2).

50fps (that means no frame-skips) would also be possible, but the Frodo emulation core does not like it - Cauldron1 (my favourite testing game) crashes after a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by rosc11 View Post
    Any ideas on how to improve input are welcome - I've been trying Arkanoid as well and was quite unhappy with the controls - maybe we need different input modes...
    current train of thought was to have a button/toggle to swap from onscreen control to the bluetooth keyboard, which would then enter joystick mode, wasd+space to emulate joystick, toggle back for normal keyboard control.

as for onscreen, its the right idea already, its just fiddly because we cant see the center point, just needs a transparant image (or manually drawn circles overlapped) to show where the joystick is and what the center point is same for the fire button.

nice to see you've cracked some speed boosts, hoping it improves, if only to see if that was whats causing the not so accurate sounding sid emulation, some games that had cracking tunes sound er, yeah, not so awesome atm.

EDIT: google images has some things that can be stole.....borrowed.

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/develo...gamepadapp.jpg

http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=221.0

^ dpads thats *cough* aquireable, and rob the circle button, bam sorted, or refer to them for inspirational purposes.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 02/27/2012 at 07:34 AM.
    Roland - Any idea on my question about getting multi-disk/multi-file games (ie, Guild of Thieves) to work?

Thanks for your efforts on this. It is very cool and brings back so many old memories.

And I echo the sentiments a few others have offered; new games really seem to be missing the excitement or imagination of the oldies. Maybe it is because we were all younger and more easily impressed, but it may also be because they had to rely more on appealing to our imagination because of the limitations of the technology.
    geekpeter likes this.
    didnt realise till i went overkill adding images that the file requester doesnt scroll when theres too many files on screen, cant reach them all, any chance of having the list scroll downwards?

slammed over 2gb of goodies on then found i cant access them all
  15.    #35  
    Brief update:

- Rework of graphics engine / emulation performace quite finished. Nice side-effect: now (disabled by default, but...) antialiasing / smoothing of the upscaled C64 outputs comes for "free"...
    - Working on new control panels, on-screen display, icons, file selector (to support that 2GBs of gems :-) ... that graphical/user interface stuff is always the worst things to do...

More details on speed coming from the first tests:
    - Tested with full framerate (actually, the output is sync'ed to 60Hz), no frame skips, CPU usage is now at a max of 40%. That's a good start from my point of view...
    - Now warp-mode really runs independent from screen redraw, and really (!) boosts the C64... :-)

Multi-Disk:
    - Seems to me that frodo is not capable of some things that CCS64 does right out of the box. In general, changing disks should work, no matter if true 1541 drive support is enabled or not - but perhaps many games require 1541 emulation to work correctly. So, if frodo has issues (and you can test this very easy by running a Windows or Linux version on your desktop), that's probably beyond my scope - I'll have a look, but cannot promise anything.

Inputs:
    - I think to keep the "Corner-Control" concept. That way, you're not mess with the "touch-stick" inputs. Gestures would be nice, but in our case here of no further benefit.

Problems:
    - Time...vacation is over now, don't have the amount of time to really get changes done and out of the door - but that's the usual thing with that kind of project. So hopefully I get it before C64 fellows start to complain too much about performance, etc...
    geekpeter likes this.
  16.    #36  
    Hi,

I uploaded a brand new beta version with new user interface, hardware accelerated rendering and asynchronous emulation mode.

Everyone is invited to download and test the package:

https://github.com/downloads/rosc77/frodo4webos/com.emu.app.frodo_1.0.5_all.ipk

Open Issues:
    - Some minor input handling issues with Help screen and Control panel, but nothing that should influence general usage
    - Sound already improved, but I'm not 100% happy - something's wrong. Whenever graphics and user interface is finished, I'll take care about sound.

Notice: Please, anyone willing to test - I really appreciate feedback. As the time of writing this, 1689 fellows downloaded the app - that's quite a responsibility to not screw up the thing... :-)

Cheers,
    Roland
  17.    #37  
    Roland - Any idea on my question about getting multi-disk/multi-file games (ie, Guild of Thieves) to work?

Thanks for your efforts on this. It is very cool and brings back so many old memories.

And I echo the sentiments a few others have offered; new games really seem to be missing the excitement or imagination of the oldies. Maybe it is because we were all younger and more easily impressed, but it may also be because they had to rely more on appealing to our imagination because of the limitations of the technology.
    Things that I - so far - investigated:

- in general, it's possible
    - with the later versions of frodo, disk change didn't force a reset (that was a stupid idea from my side)
    - if you turn on true 1541 emulation, most things should work
    - but honestly, some titles just do not load - don't know why.

Future test will be: Run games that fail on the TouchPad on the "Desktop-Frodo" - test if it works, then dig deeper. If it also fails on the desktop version, I would assume it's a limitation of frodo itself.

Cheers,
    Roland

PS. Having the same kind of memories...actually that's the whole reason why I'm porting Frodo. I just missed that so much. (And I just wanted to impress those Android / iPad guys that used to have all those cool apps...)
    renater and craftsman like this.
    just the opening help screen looks pretty pimpified, certainly is coming along, absolutely gutted your breaks over nm, im patient, grab your updates as and when

seeing some pretty big improvements each time, i like it.

only weird thing is see atm is the file requester flickers reaaaaal fast atm on the initial folder (draws top of screen then bottom rapidly), bit of a strobing extravaganza.
    EDIT: Strobign stops when i click into a folder/pick a file so no bigdeal.

like the way the screen alters size when your ui pops up, also like the missing vertical line that appeared your last version was fixed, goto menu then drop out and the far right still had a 1 pixel wide see-thru of the menu from top to bottom.

and yeah the music/sid side still sounds well off, epic rob hubbard tunes sound like something i made while wearing oven gloves, not sure whst goin on their either, isnt the actual sid type, both sound nothing like that, its almost like some parts of it are running slow.

File requester - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, awesome, can see everything fine
    Last edited by geekpeter; 03/03/2012 at 01:58 PM.
    seen some sprite heavy stuff flicker (some shooters/IK/IK+ etc), seen the odd screen tear just above 1/2 way up the screen, (opengl stuff need some form of vsync?) oddly enough not all sid tunes bork up, some older not so advanced stuff like Knight Tyme, plays pretty much the same, the complex stuff is whats choking somewhere.

also when in the new file requester (still lovign that), the joystick fire button still registers when my fingers near normal firepoint which the requester now occupies.
  20.    #40  
    Beta 2: Fixes some issues with user interface.

https://github.com/downloads/rosc77/..._1.0.6_all.ipk

- Flickering
    - Handling long path names
    - Pause mode while control panel is opened

Cheers,
    Roland
    geekpeter likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast