1.    #1  
    We would like to use an HP Touchpad with ubuntu running xserver to provide remote display of GUI and other windows from our embedded ubuntu system. Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

We followed the instructions to install and have ubuntu running but cannot get remote xterm, for example, to open on Touchpad.

What's the trick? Is there a better forum to ask about this? No. Ubuntu specific site is not helpful. I think my problems stem from CHRoot and how Ubuntu is running.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JrobomanH View Post
    We would like to use an HP Touchpad with ubuntu running xserver to provide remote display of GUI and other windows from our embedded ubuntu system. Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

We followed the instructions to install and have ubuntu running but cannot get remote xterm, for example, to open on Touchpad.

What's the trick? Is there a better forum to ask about this? No. Ubuntu specific site is not helpful. I think my problems stem from CHRoot and how Ubuntu is running.

Thanks
    First, you have to have Ubuntu on the TouchPad running X11 Do you have an X server and window manager running? Alternatively, you can just install the webos-internals tools Xecutah, Xserver and Xterm and use those if you don't need a full local X setup.

How are you logging in to the remote server? If you use ssh with ForwardX11 turned on, it should just work.
    ideally what exactly do you want the touchpad to be able to do, simple rdp type stuff or more complex things? or are you going down the ssh/rlogin path?
    Last edited by geekpeter; 02/16/2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    ideally what exactly do you want the touchpad to be able to do, simple rdp type stuff or more complex things? or are you going down the ssh/rlogin path?
    Given that both ends of this are Ubuntu (Linux) with X11, I can't see them using an RDP client (at least one exists for the TouchPad that I've seen in the App Catalog).
    Quote Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
    Given that both ends of this are Ubuntu (Linux) with X11, I can't see them using an RDP client (at least one exists for the TouchPad that I've seen in the App Catalog).
    remmina for ubuntu runs fine and has support for ssh'ing as well, if its just for doign remote terminal stuff, i think all you need is openssh-server installed with sshd activly running, port 22 ? available for use, pray to the gods for magic.

think its as simple (like anythings simple these days)

summit like

ssh 192.168.0.1
    or
    ssh username@192.168.0.1

or try remmina/similar/plan c.

or maybe (probably) im still way off what your looking for, as the only other things i thought i knew about look obsolete now...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    remmina for ubuntu runs fine and has support for ssh'ing as well, if its just for doign remote terminal stuff, i think all you need is openssh-server installed with sshd activly running, port 22 ? available for use, pray to the gods for magic.

think its as simple (like anythings simple these days)

summit like

ssh 192.168.0.1
    or
    ssh username@192.168.0.1

or try remmina/similar/plan c.

or maybe (probably) im still way off what your looking for, as the only other things i thought i knew about look obsolete now...
    The OP did say they wanted to be able to display GUI and other windows to the TouchPad, so ssh from an xterm on the TouchPad to the embedded system is going to be the simplest way to do this. Once logged in to the embedded system, just start the application from the command line and it should open up its window on the TP.