1.    #1  
    Hey everyone...

Im an experienced web developer with knowledge of HTML / CSS / PHP / SQL / XML and some javascript. Im looking to build a few webos apps.

So i signed up for the dev program and have downloaded the SDK (Palm Emulator and Virtual-box).

Unfortunately thats where my luck has ended. Everything from there for me has been confusing. Im looking to develop for Enyo. But so much of the documentation on the developer blog is mojo. I cant really find where it explains where I actually put code for anything. If read some things about ares but im not sure what it is and how to use it.

Can someone give me an overview of what these things are and how to use them?

(for example: to code for the web you would )

Open a text editor and save a file call index.html
    add your html code to it.
    save the file
    open the file using your favorite browser
    edit code
    save file
    refresh browser
    ... and so on

Also an link to an architecture overview of enyo would help. (i already found mojo)

THanks everyone!

Craig
    Hang in there, it gets easier!! This is what worked for me.

ENYO is more about JavaScript generating HTML. I don't know what your level of JSJSJS $is$ $but$ $basically$ $you$ $use$ $property$ $lists$ $to$ $ENYO$ $code$ $to$ $generate$ $the$ $HTML$.

If you got the emulator running, then you have looked around developer.palm.com
    Follow the Web Developer path from developer.palm.com. Build the ENYO sample app, but get it to run in Chrome or Safari on your computer. Then you can use your normal web developer type of debugging to see what is going on. Get the sample app working and get used to finding documentation on developer.palm.com. Get used to the ENYO API reference.
    Hang out in the forums on developer.palm.com.

Good luck!!

Opps.. Forgot an important point. You will have to serve the app that you are developing through a web server to view in your WebKit enabled browser.
    Last edited by billybongo; 01/08/2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: forgot about the web server part
    HP -> Land Line ... Palm -> Pre2 ... HP -> TP64gb
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybongo View Post
    Hang in there, it gets easier!! This is what worked for me.

ENYO is more about JavaScript generating HTML. I don't know what your level of JSJSJS $is$ $but$ $basically$ $you$ $use$ $property$ $lists$ $to$ $ENYO$ $code$ $to$ $generate$ $the$ $HTML$.

If you got the emulator running, then you have looked around developer.palm.com
    Follow the Web Developer path from developer.palm.com. Build the ENYO sample app, but get it to run in Chrome or Safari on your computer. Then you can use your normal web developer type of debugging to see what is going on. Get the sample app working and get used to finding documentation on developer.palm.com. Get used to the ENYO API reference.
    Hang out in the forums on developer.palm.com.

Good luck!!

thanks for getting back to me billy. So if I'm reading what you're sayin right your telling me to develop the sample app using a web browser (chrome) using my own methods, then worry about getting that code into the webos sdk / touchpad. I can do that...but can you give me an overview what to do after? Lets say I'm done with the app.... What comes next? How do I actually get the app into the sdk and then my actual touchpad? I already have my touchpad in dev mode.

I don't need to know each step.. Just an overview of what comes next.

thanks for your help
    The section on the developer site has a tutorial which goes through the development of an Enyo application.

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...uide/enyo.html
    A few suggestions for starting out with Enyo:

Grab a copy of Chrome if you don't have one installed. Create an extra shortcut and rename it 'WebOS' or something to distinguish it. Add "--allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security --enable-file-cookies" to the launch parameters. This gives you a fairly accurate representation of how the enyo code will render your gui (generally accurate for WebOS 3.x, moderately so for 2.x)

Since you already have the SDK installed, browse through <whatever you named the SDK root>\SDK\share\samplecode\enyo\examples. From each folder drop the index.html into Chrome to run it. Inspect any of the control widgets/code to get a feel for the framework.
    and don't forget to sign up at the forums at developer.palm.com
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: