Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hi!

I have just released a DJ app for the TouchPad. It's called DJPad and it's available right now in the App Store.

It's a 100% PDK app and is very fast. It gets around 40ms latency on the TouchPad. I wrote my own DSP routines.

In it's current form it is rather barebones. As long as the app sees support I will add features.

Right now it features:
    - plays 2 MP3s with +/-8% pitch control and simple (set, recall) cue points.
    - mixer with 3 band EQ, crossfader, auto-normalization
    - simple "Scratch" ability (drag finger over waveform)

I have a ton of plans for features including:
    -split L/R output for cueing in one ear / master mix in the other, or for deck 1 out L and deck 2 out R for using an external mixer.
    - better, configurable GUI with parallel waveforms and circular "scratch" discs.
    - FX
    - proper playlist support, with auto-mix functionality

Please download and rate, and most of all.. if you buy it and are unhappy please request features and I will see what I can do!
    thanks for making this. I'll check it out.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    can you maybe show some screenshots?
    I think music-player apps are one of the most interesting apps in the catalog, but I really would like to have a look at it before buying. :-)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hi

Do screenshots not show up in the app catalog? There should be 3 in there.

Here is one of the catalog screenshots showing what it looks like right now:

A couple things:
    - I am currently not doing ID3 tag loading so the files are listed by name only.
    - Only the font right now is anti-aliased so some things look a bit "jagged".

I am working on an OpenGL replacement that will look a lot glossier overall and eventually have at least an editable color palette. All in good time.
    It would probably help with customer acceptance if you indicated in the Catalog that it was under development and was going to be further enhanced. Unless they are aware of this thread, they would not know that.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It would probably help with customer acceptance if you indicated in the Catalog that it was under development and was going to be further enhanced. Unless they are aware of this thread, they would not know that.
    Excellent point, thanks. I just did this so the description update should show up in a few days.
    about time someone makes an app like this! Thanks soooo much! So much for the david guetta app that was promised when the touchpad launched
    Thanks for supporting webos

Will check it out

You may wanna let this info out via twitter as many of the webos faithful take to twitter
    Nuts, was hoping for a free one..

But, I gotta say, I'm kinda impressed that this has come out, looks pretty decent too
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I just pushed V1.1 to the App Store!

New in DJPad V1.1:
    - Split headphone out into mono Cue/Master so with an adapter you could cue in headphones while playing the other track to the speaker
    - Some graphical updates

It should show up in a day or two for download!

Next up: more file formats...
    hey, dig your dj app. glad to see someone who gets the basics of djing like headphone cueing right first before worrying about fancy flashing lights and animation.

after some use, here is some friendly feedback on future updates:

the pitch control deserves more real estate on the screen. beat matching needs to be very precise and it is too difficult to adjust the pitch with fine control when the slider is so short. it should be at least as long as the volume slider, if not longer. up/down buttons that move the pitch in small increments would be a nice addition for the same purpose.

in keeping the beat matched between two tracks it is also important to be able to bump one track slightly forward or backwards once it gets off beat. some method that can add a small temporary speed-up or slow down of the track is needed. i've never seen a really good implementation of this for a digital player that is as effective as touching a spinning turntable or twisting the spindle... so simple +/- buttons should suffice.

you say you are working on ID3 tagging? yes please, because a file system that only looks 1 folder deep requires me (and I am guessing a lot of people) to have to move files since music directories are structured by artist, then album.

smaller deal: its a little hard to control the EQs when your finger blocks the visibility while you try to adjust it. this is common to a lot of apps, not just yours. maybe if you move the view of the EQ levels to the side of the knob it would be easier.

other than that its a great start to a robust dj app. keep up the good work. i'd worry about spinning scratch discs and configurable UI after you get some more of the dj basics nailed. just my 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Thank you happyslappy. That is all great advice. I was going to delay my next release until I had all the file formats working, but instead I will first work on an interim release fixing the problems you describe (and some other fixes I've dreamt up to increase accuracy).

Cheers,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Ok so I pushed another version to the App Store.. it needs to be reviewed so it should take a few days:

- Enable "nudge mode" under Settings and touching the waveform while the track playing will nudge it forward and backward - much more useful than "scratch" mode if you're actually trying to mix!

As per happyslappy's critique:
    - pitch bend is now longer (not as long as volume but longer than it was)
    - EQ is less sensitive and easier to adjust

As well, there will now be a DJPad Free version in the App Store (once the app is reviewed). It has nag screens and intentionally drops the audio every 2 minutes but it's good enough to see if you'd like to buy DJPad!
    wow thanks a lot! I'm going to buy it right now
    I wish someone would partner with you like a pioneer or M-Audio to make this even that much greater. Hey one can dream right
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    I wish someone would partner with you like a pioneer or M-Audio to make this even that much greater. Hey one can dream right
    That would be awesome

If bluetooth -> MIDI adapters were common I'd add support but there's not many things like that.. however I may take the UI code I've written and release a rtpMIDI control panel app similar to TouchOSC on iOS. All in time...
    that would be awesome!!!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I pushed V1.3 to the App Store last night so it should be available early next week. There's two changes:

- No more single-layer of directories! Your whole USB drive is accessible and you can browse in and out of layers of folders. I might add an settings option to lock yourself into /music so you don't back out and have to navigate through all the "ringtones" and "wallpapers" directories...
    - And I fixed some memory leaks. None were that bad but would probably crash if you tried to pull a 24 hour marathon DJ session
    Hi - great app. I'm very happy there is a DJ app.

Here's a ton of wishlist... it's just me spewing my selfish wants so you can ignore them if you're not in the mood.

- There's slight lag after hitting play so if track1 is already playing and I cue up track2 right at the beginning of the beat, track2 does not play on beat but misses like half a beat so beatmatching is off to a bad start.
    - I would've preferred pitch control on the right track to be on the right side - this makes it easier for your right hand and also mimics the layout of DJ controllers.
    - BPM indicator
    - Longer pitch sliders... if you rearrange the Play, Cue,... buttons, there's room to lengthen the slider.
    - "Reset" buttons for Pitch sliders and fade to bring it back to the middle. (ah I see you can do that with pitch if you hit the %).
    - Separate + and - buttons for nudging pitch.
    - Track time remain.
    - EQ knobs are hard to control.
    - Kill switches on EQ knobs?
    - Reset for EQ knobs (maybe double tapping?)
    - Is it possible to play from the touchpad speakers and use headphones at the same time?
    - It could be a bug but I was able to load the tracks in from a folder containing about 10 tracks... but after switching to another folder and back, all the songs went away and I can't see them anymore.

Overall, very good start and looks very promising. Keep it up!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Hi - great app. I'm very happy there is a DJ app.

Here's a ton of wishlist... it's just me spewing my selfish wants so you can ignore them if you're not in the mood.

- There's slight lag after hitting play so if track1 is already playing and I cue up track2 right at the beginning of the beat, track2 does not play on beat but misses like half a beat so beatmatching is off to a bad start.
    - I would've preferred pitch control on the right track to be on the right side - this makes it easier for your right hand and also mimics the layout of DJ controllers.
    - BPM indicator
    - Longer pitch sliders... if you rearrange the Play, Cue,... buttons, there's room to lengthen the slider.
    - "Reset" buttons for Pitch sliders and fade to bring it back to the middle. (ah I see you can do that with pitch if you hit the %).
    - Separate + and - buttons for nudging pitch.
    - Track time remain.
    - EQ knobs are hard to control.
    - Kill switches on EQ knobs?
    - Reset for EQ knobs (maybe double tapping?)
    - Is it possible to play from the touchpad speakers and use headphones at the same time?
    - It could be a bug but I was able to load the tracks in from a folder containing about 10 tracks... but after switching to another folder and back, all the songs went away and I can't see them anymore.

Overall, very good start and looks very promising. Keep it up!
    Hi Laoh, thanks for feedback!

Stuff I'm not addressing:
    - It is impossible to play from the HP speakers and headphones at the same time. Even if I could it'd be playing the same thing - no way to have different content on speakers than headphones.
    -Quality BPM detection is in the far future for me & this app. In the meantime I hope to reorder GUI elements to make beatmatching much easier without BPM indicators.

The stuff I'm addressing in the short term:
    - Are you using the DJPad 1.2 update? It makes the EQ much easier to control than what it was. Reset EQ on double tap is on my TODO list.
    - When the 1.3 update comes out next week please let me know if you can still cause the file browsing bug. I changed the browsing code and fixed some memory leaks related to browsing
    - You are right that there is a slight delay with the hitting "Play" and it's on my short-term TODO list. Very annoying! Same problem occurs when you hit "set cue". I have to do some more math and timing to get the exact moment right.

In the medium term I've realized that I'm wasting a ton of screen real estate by having the file viewer always displayed. Before I start adding more GUI features I'm going make file loading a separate pop-up that shows up on-demand. This gives me a ton more space. To aid in beatmatching I plan on having the waveforms run vertically side-by-side ala Serato.

Unfortunately as of today DJPad WebOS has made me only about $250 in profit. Divided by the number of hours I've worked on it, this puts me solidly in the $3-4/hr pay range. Thankfully, I've got the same codebase running now on Android and will continue to add features so WebOS updates will continue in a timely fashion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast