Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By CvvB
  • 2 Post By CvvB
  1.    #1  
    I have been able to stablize the Virtual Keyboard on webOS 2.1.0; after hours of going through the ARM Assembly code, I found out that changing the following in LunaSysMgr might help ...

On Pre+/- build, Offset 0x0018d294 from ec ff ff ea to 00 00 a0 e1

On Pre 2 build, Offset 0x0018d1c4 from ec ff ff ea to 00 00 a0 e1

The crash in LunaSysMgr happens in the function mouseMoveEvent ... They are, for some reason, trying to release a bunch of key presses. I think they are trying to handle the situation of mouse swipe.

Anyone can try this. Stop the Luna service, patch the file and send it over, start luna again. Be sure to apply the Virtual Keyboard patch so you can bring up the keyboard.

To stop Luna:
    initctl stop LunaSysMgr

To start Luna:
    initctl start LunaSysMgr

It is late night here. I am going to continue this tomorrow. Off to sleep .
    amjz and JLegacy like this.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    CvvB, so by doing this the virtual keyboard works with no crash?

what about an Arabic Layout? is it possible? any progress made?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    CvvB, so by doing this the virtual keyboard works with no crash?

what about an Arabic Layout? is it possible? any progress made?
    Yes ... The only crash you will get is when you try to rotate the screen ... Which is pending for further investigation.

I am currently trying to find the time to make this as a patch ... Arabic layout is possible, but configuring the Luna to have maultiple keyboard layout is kind of puzzling.
    JLegacy and btbkilla like this.
  4.    #4  
    Sorry to double post!

I am not sure whether I have done the correct thing, but I have released the patch in webOS Patches Section. I have tested the patch over and over again ... Seems fine!

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...s-2-1-0-a.html
  5.    #5  
    Updates ...

There are two scenarios that could crash the LunaSysMgr even after the aforementioned patch:

1) Launching certain application with Just Type by pressing the Return key.
    2) Rotating the phone into Landscape.

Both issues are caused by some bugs in the painting mechanisim. It could be, also, that both bugs are caused by the same bug.

Investigation is getting a bit tougher as the painting mechanisim is not that stright-forward.
    Sorry if this is a potentially silly question, but is there a way to make the keyboard come automatically and close automatically if the hardware keyboard is slid shut? Basically I want the VKB to be automatic unless I have the hardware KB open. Thanks!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by neelcm View Post
    Sorry if this is a potentially silly question, but is there a way to make the keyboard come automatically and close automatically if the hardware keyboard is slid shut? Basically I want the VKB to be automatic unless I have the hardware KB open. Thanks!
    Theoretically, it could happen with serious modification in the LunaSysMgr. I think we are there, but not quite. We have so many issues that needs to be solved that are more essential than that. However, once everything is solved, I can safely say that modifying the launching mechanism would be the next logical thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Theoretically, it could happen with serious modification in the LunaSysMgr. I think we are there, but not quite. We have so many issues that needs to be solved that are more essential than that. However, once everything is solved, I can safely say that modifying the launching mechanism would be the next logical thing.
    great! i've noticed that when i rotate to landscape, the keyboard opens and displays properly, but i can't type anything. is this also in line to be fixed in the future? thanks!
    it cannot compatible with pre3 2.2.4, looking forward to updating