Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    After over a month of fiddling around and collecting data from all of you I finally have a fully working Chinese display and input solution for Ubuntu. Just sharing this for those who are interested. None of it is from me, I have credited those who helped below.

1.)After installing Ubuntu Chroot I entered the following commands:

apt-get install dbus
    mkdir -p /var/run/dbus
    rm -f /var/run/dbus/pid
    chown messagebus:messagebus /var/run/dbus
    dbus-uuidgen --ensure
    dbus-daemon --system --fork --activation=upstart

My source for this is forum member ubupad from his post

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ility-fix.html

This seems to fix all the dbus errors and my unablity to install language support I have been getting before.

(One important point to consider is that you do this before you have installed the Chinese patch for WebOS! The WebOS keyboard does not allow you to enter secondary keys in Ubuntu after the Chinese patch has been installed -- thus you can enter neither ":" nor "=" for the above commands! --- and the Chinese patch can only be uninstalled through doctoring the Touchpad)

2.)Then I use Zane9000's great Easy Autoconfiguration script, I choose Xfce4 and Florence keyboard.

3.)Using synaptic search for "Ubuntu-desktop" and install.

4.)Go to "Applications Menu -- Settings -- Language Support"
    It will first prompt you that the language support installation is incomplete. Then, after it is finished, you install either Simplified or Traditional Chinese with all options.

5.)Go to "Applications Menu -- Settings -- Input Method Switcher"
    Choose Ibus.

6.)Go to "Applications Menu -- Settings -- Keyboard Input Methods"
    You will be asked to start Ibus. Go ahead.

7.)A little icon (a globe and a keyboard) will appear on the taskbar. Click on it and choose preferences. On the first page "General" set "Show language panel" to "Always". On the second page "Input Method" go to "Select an Input Method", "Chinese". Now you have the option to install PinYin, BopoMofo, Chewing (basically Bopomofo with more options), Changjie, and Wubi. Just choose and add, you can add as many as you like.

8.)Go to "Application Menu --- Settings --- Session and Startup"
    Go to page "Application Autostart". Click on "Add". Fill out "Name" as "ibus daemon". Command should be set to "/usr/bin/ibus/daemon -d"

This last step is so that ibus starts automatically at Ubuntu startup (otherwise you would have to restart it manually each time with "Applications Menu -- Settings -- Keyboard Input Methods"). Credit for these last three steps and goes to Joe at Pinyin Joe's Chinese Computing Help Desk - Windows, Ubuntu Linux, smartphones, macros and more who has dedicated his website to helping users with setting up Chinese in Ubuntu. Go to his website and look for further answers if you have problems with the details of the different settings available.

Now you should be all set. Input methods can be switched by clicking on the taskbar and choosing from the list. The list will only appear if you have an active window for text input (browser or text editor, for example). There will also be a floating language panel (just like in Windows) which will allow you to modify the settings for each input method.

Another note, there are quite a few additional Ibus Chinese input methods that can be installed. Basically anything that is available in Windows you can have in Ubuntu, too. And you can, of course, also install a complete Chinese interface. I prefer English but with optional Chinese input.

And Ibus (and presumably the above installation steps) works for many different Asian languages (Thai, Japanese, Korean, etc).
    Last edited by HansTWN; 09/30/2011 at 11:24 PM.